SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Salt Lake International Airport Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198980)

Stenar Mar 21, 2014 7:48 AM

^^^ This is inappropriate.

SLC Projects Mar 21, 2014 8:05 AM

Starting to see more trailers getting set up. There's a 5-wide being place together with a few single/smaller trailers around the bigger one. Not too big of news, but just trying to get this thread back on track.

Stenar Mar 21, 2014 8:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 6505162)
Starting to see more trailers getting set up. There's a 5-wide being place together with a few single/smaller trailers around the bigger one. Not too big of news, but just trying to get this thread back on track.

Cool! Thanks for the update.

tygr Mar 21, 2014 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stenar (Post 6505159)
^^^ This is inappropriate.

What makes you the "appropriateness police?"

I'm all for the correcting of misinformation—even praising what other regions do well. But I am relieved that the "devil's advocate" has decided to withdraw.

Plaid Shirts had negative responses to nearly everything that was positively mentioned about Salt Lake City and related threads. Every region has rival regions that are both inferior and superior in one way or another; we know that. It was really annoying that he was blatantly outspoken about his negativity towards anything within. His comments rarely added anything to the conversations.

The Plaid Shirts profile seemed to be a mole from another region or an individual(s) from profile(s) past that were banned from the forum for similar antagonistic behaviors.

EPdesign Mar 21, 2014 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tygr (Post 6505472)
What makes you the "appropriateness police?"

I'm all for the correcting of misinformation—even praising what other regions do well. But I am relieved that the "devil's advocate" has decided to withdraw.

Plaid Shirts had negative responses to nearly everything that was positively mentioned about Salt Lake City and related threads. Every region has rival regions that are both inferior and superior in one way or another; we know that. It was really annoying that he was blatantly outspoken about his negativity towards anything within. His comments rarely added anything to the conversations.

The Plaid Shirts profile seemed to be a mole from another region or an individual(s) from profile(s) past that were banned from the forum for similar antagonistic behaviors.

:cheers: I second this

justiny Mar 21, 2014 3:41 PM

He was a troll. Simple as that, left on his own accord.

We all have the pleasure of moving on.

i-215 Mar 21, 2014 7:41 PM

Back on topic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...port,_2010.jpg

Plaid Shirts Mar 21, 2014 7:43 PM

^^^

Yes, let's get back on topic. :cool:

AllOutOfBubbleGum Mar 21, 2014 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-215 (Post 6505965)
Back on topic:

So about that Golf Course. How long till it becomes a parking lot.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=20224380

i-215 Mar 25, 2014 1:04 AM

I haven't seen any plans to adjust the parking lot much in the plans. The new garage is huge, and will handle all the short-term (and I imagine a lot of the long-term). I'd think they'd just expand the garage before they'd pave outside the ring road.

wrendog May 5, 2014 8:08 PM

SLC to MCO (Orlando) flight announced on Jetblue starting Nov 12.

scottharding May 5, 2014 8:16 PM

Excellent! A straight shot to Harry Potter land for me next year!

billbillbillbill May 5, 2014 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrendog (Post 6565621)

Thats awesome. I have been hoping for a while that Jetblue would expand beyond only New York & Long Beach for Salt Lake.

jedikermit May 5, 2014 9:16 PM

Quote:

Cha-ching!!

SLC Projects May 5, 2014 10:32 PM

Seeing more pre-construction set ups. Those construction trailers are now having decks/walk ways build around each of them. Those trailers could be here for the next ten years and this set up looks long term.
Also, I notice there's a red crane ( laying down ) just west of where the Hertz Rent-A-Car lot is. Not sure if something is going to get built there, or it's just a place to store the crane for the time being.
Also, Most of the Car Rentals overflow ( where the dirt lot south of the long term parking lot ) have been moved else where to clear out that site for the new Rent-A-Car Lots construction that should break ground around this summer.
Also, notice there's something going up just behind the Police Station. Not sure what. :shrug:

wrendog May 5, 2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billbillbillbill (Post 6565709)
Thats awesome. I have been hoping for a while that Jetblue would expand beyond only New York & Long Beach for Salt Lake.

They did have flights to LAS, SFO, and SAN for a while, but they didn't last long

Old&New May 6, 2014 1:59 PM

Quote:

This is something incredible! Elder Price will be ecstatic!

UTAZLoVer May 6, 2014 4:25 PM

^^^^^ ha ha, good one.

SLC Projects May 9, 2014 7:24 AM

Beams.........me looking.......police

A little bit of action tonight at the international airport. First I notice a few beams sticking out of the ground over at the west parking lot. ( parking lot behind the Hertz rent a car lot ) For the past week or so there has been a crane on that empty lot and tonight I found two groups of beams 5 or 6 sticking in the ground. I went to get a closer look, but stayed outside the cones and fenced areas. These beams look to be around 12-20 FT tall and were round. As I walk around the area I heard a yell........HEY!!! Here comes the police with one hand on the Taser. "Oh boy" I was thinking. The three of them wanted to know what I was up to. So basically, I told them I am a building nerd and that I get a hard on when I see new development. Lucky for me, these cops were cool and understanding. They just wanted to know what I was doing in that area and in a post 9-11 world they feared the worst out of me at first I guess. :) a guy wearing black, walking around after midnight taking a few pictures didn't look good I guess wasn't the smartest move, but I didn't break any laws so they sent me on my way. I guess I won't do that again. I joked with them saying these next ten years we might see a lot of each other. :)
Anyways............after returning to my place of work I went on my phone to look up the overall future map of the new airport. Those two groups of beams I saw look to be right where the future parking garage ( of at least the west haft of it anyways ) so........maybe I just waitness the start of the building of the new parking garage or they're just taking earth samples. Just my best guess. Maybe Skyguy can fill us in with anything I might of missed.
So there you all go. Looks like the airport development could be underway.

Wasatch_One May 9, 2014 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 6570977)
A little bit of action tonight at the international airport. First I notice a few beams sticking out of the ground over at the west parking lot. ( parking lot behind the Hertz rent a car lot ) For the past week or so there has been a crane on that empty lot and tonight I found two groups of beams 5 or 6 sticking in the ground. I went to get a closer look, but stayed outside the cones and fenced areas. These beams look to be around 12-20 FT tall and were round. As I walk around the area I heard a yell........HEY!!! Here comes the police with one hand on the Taser. "Oh boy" I was thinking. The three of them wanted to know what I was up to. So basically, I told them I am a building nerd and that I get a hard on when I see new development. Lucky for me, these cops were cool and understanding. They just wanted to know what I was doing in that area and in a post 9-11 world they feared the worst out of me at first I guess. :) a guy wearing black, walking around after midnight taking a few pictures didn't look good I guess wasn't the smartest move, but I didn't break any laws so they sent me on my way. I guess I won't do that again. I joked with them saying these next ten years we might see a lot of each other. :)
Anyways............after returning to my place of work I went on my phone to look up the overall future map of the new airport. Those two groups of beams I saw look to be right where the future parking garage ( of at least the west haft of it anyways ) so........maybe I just waitness the start of the building of the new parking garage or they're just taking earth samples. Just my best guess. Maybe Skyguy can fill us in with anything I might of missed.
So there you all go. Looks like the airport development could be underway.

Did they look like they might be pylon's? I would imagine that the water table is fairly high near the airport and maybe they have to drive pylons into the ground to firm it up a bit before adding the new structure(s)?

SLC Projects May 9, 2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasatch_One (Post 6571430)
Did they look like they might be pylon's? I would imagine that the water table is fairly high near the airport and maybe they have to drive pylons into the ground to firm it up a bit before adding the new structure(s)?

That could be a possibility being right by the great Salt Lake and all. It was hard to tell late at night. All the website says is that right now crews are taking "earth samples" and setting up trailers.
Either way this is getting exciting finally seeing action taking place here at the airport after years of talk. :yes:

jubguy3 May 20, 2014 11:23 PM

Transit junkie here who's not farmiliar with the renderings and all... Does anyone know if the TRAX station will end within the airport (like enclosed in the airport), will it be extended, or will it remain the same and stay outside the airport? If it does go in the airport, how far in and will you essentially be able to get off the train on to carpet/tile and walk around the concourse/terminal (whatever it's called)? Thank you!

N830MH Jun 2, 2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrendog (Post 6565897)
They did have flights to LAS, SFO, and SAN for a while, but they didn't last long

Yes, they all tried, but it didn't work out well. They couldn't survive for any much longer. It was too much competitive against Delta & Southwest.

wrendog Jun 2, 2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 6602406)
Yes, they all tried, but it didn't work out well. They couldn't survive for any much longer. It was too much competitive against Delta & Southwest.

Which will be interesting to see if Alaska can compete...

Hatman Jun 3, 2014 2:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jubguy3 (Post 6585336)
Transit junkie here who's not farmiliar with the renderings and all... Does anyone know if the TRAX station will end within the airport (like enclosed in the airport), will it be extended, or will it remain the same and stay outside the airport? If it does go in the airport, how far in and will you essentially be able to get off the train on to carpet/tile and walk around the concourse/terminal (whatever it's called)? Thank you!

The new trax staion will be built in the parking garage across from the main entrance. Right in the front of the garage, so leaving the terminal via skybridge you will turn immediatly to the left, and viola. As for the flooring, I have no idea what it will be. UTA hasn't built an indoor station yet, so I have no precident to go by.
Hope that answers your question...

delts145 Jun 3, 2014 3:18 AM

LOL, It took me a second, but I wondered if Viola was an official greeter.

StevenF Jun 3, 2014 6:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrendog (Post 6602411)
Which will be interesting to see if Alaska can compete...

We will see in time but I do have to say they sure are trying to get the word out as I hear the adds on the radio all the time about the Alaska flights.

Hatman Jun 3, 2014 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delts145 (Post 6602772)
LOL, It took me a second, but I wondered if Viola was an official greeter.

:haha:

I looked back at the renderings afterwards, and I'm beginning to doubt the TRAX station will be indoors. It looks - to my untrained eye - like it is a separate structure that just happens to be very close to the parking garage.
So I'm changing my answer: Cross the skybridge from the terminal to the parking garage, turn left then left again and go to the outdoor platform - which will almost certainly be made of concrete.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-G..._overview6.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1at91206PM.png

The site plan (bottom) shows that the TRAX station will be located where the TRAX cars are parked in the picture (above). But the picture does not show a station - and it also shows only one track. Obviously UTA will want two tracks, just like everywhere else... So while the picture represents the terminal building well, it's pretty clear they don't know what UTA will do with the TRAX.

s.p.hansen Jun 17, 2014 4:28 PM

I didn't see this link posted here and found it last night. You can follow the SLC Airport rebuild here (it's like the UTA construction page they did for the Airport TRAX extension).

http://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc.asp

They have an updated timeline for the schedule for the construction and different dates for design finalizations.

http://i.imgur.com/BNlXvG7l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Tt7yTSpl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/v1hMznil.jpg

My advice to everyone here is to shelf your enthusiasm for the airport rebuild until the second quarter of 2015 when we get the new terminal design. Construction won't begin in a meaningful way until 2016 :/

jtrent77 Jun 17, 2014 9:21 PM

Looking at that picture I hope they have plans for how Trax will work once the terminus is no longer at the airport, but rather continues on down the MVC, at least I think that is the long term plan.

orlandopilot Jun 18, 2014 2:17 PM

As a Florida resident I am pleased to see that Delta will be adding nonstop flights between MIA-SLC and TPA-SLC for the holiday season. I think they should make those flights permanent because if we fly Delta to the west we don't want to connect through ATL. We avoid that place at all costs.

Aviation forums have indicated that British Airways may be looking at starting nonstop between Heathrow and Charlotte, Portland, Columbus and Salt Lake City. That would be huge for Salt Lake because I believe your market would support it. Your growing international business presence with Goldman and RBS could justify that flight. Seems that your Paris nonstop has done very well.

Hopefully your airport hurries up and gets built soon. The plans look great except it seems that the new terminal might be a tad narrow with a choke point for passengers leaving and entering the south concourse. It looks pretty narrow. Anyway as an Orlando resident with a great airport (MCO) we know how an awesome airport can benefit a city. I have a connection through SLC in October and hope to see some construction in progress.

SLC Projects Jul 17, 2014 6:19 AM

There looks to be a "ground breaking tent" getting set up next to the south field where the future rent a car lots are going. The small road has been blocked off, there are backhoes, cones and pot a potties set up with one large white tent at the end of the dead end road. You can see it while entering the airport on the main road. Looks like the show is about to begin.

i-215 Jul 17, 2014 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrent77 (Post 6622097)
Looking at that picture I hope they have plans for how Trax will work once the terminus is no longer at the airport, but rather continues on down the MVC, at least I think that is the long term plan.

I'm asking the same question. I would've made it run either on level 3 or level 1, allowing passengers to cross at level 2.

downtownslcresident Jul 17, 2014 9:29 PM

http://fox13now.com/2014/07/17/slc-t...n-new-airport/

News article on groundbreaking. It is scheduled for tomorrow.

downtownslcresident Jul 17, 2014 9:30 PM

and the tribs article:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58...-salt.html.csp

Comrade Jul 18, 2014 2:54 AM

The renderings are pretty boring. The airport won't set the world on fire in terms of architecture, which isn't too big of a surprise in the post-2001 world - but still, pretty underwhelming.

jubguy3 Jul 18, 2014 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-215 (Post 6658993)
I'm asking the same question. I would've made it run either on level 3 or level 1, allowing passengers to cross at level 2.

Based on the WFRC plans, TRAX will be shaped so that it backs out of the airport and goes on towards the international.

Wizened Variations Jul 18, 2014 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comrade (Post 6659543)
The renderings are pretty boring. The airport won't set the world on fire in terms of architecture, which isn't too big of a surprise in the post-2001 world - but still, pretty underwhelming.

I think the new design is superbly functional. Looks almost like a German architect might have designed it. Reminds me a bit of Frankfurt's airport.

For those of you who want more "dash," push for nice art to break up the linearity of the interior. A well spent million or two for art might push the price up .1% but that is small change.

I like it a lot.

wrendog Jul 18, 2014 7:29 PM

There have to be better renderings out there. The ones we've seen so far tell us pretty much nothing, honestly.

Old&New Jul 18, 2014 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrendog (Post 6660453)
There have to be better renderings out there. The ones we've seen so far tell us pretty much nothing, honestly.

It seems there's not much to get. But I like how the windows are open to the winter sun, which will bring down heating costs in the winter.

AllOutOfBubbleGum Jul 18, 2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old&New (Post 6660603)
It seems there's not much to get. But I like how the windows are open to the winter sun, which will bring down heating costs in the winter.

If anything it's just an upgrade to Openness, energy use and future expansion. We have a landscape worth showing off and I think this design will give people the chance to see what the Valley has, lets show it off. Heck some people get amazed at the Oquirrh mountains and then I tell them to turn around and their jaws drop.

s.p.hansen Jul 19, 2014 3:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrendog (Post 6660453)

That's because technically, they aren't done yet. This is like a design build freeway; it's happening as the thing goes. If you look at the timeline, construction on the parking structure and main terminal doesn't even start until 2016.

According to the timeline we won't have the final terminal and concourse design until the second quarter of 2015!

N830MH Jul 19, 2014 4:58 AM

I guess we have wait for a while. When it will complete? What about TSA inline baggage screening system? Will they relocate it? What about international gates capable? How many gates will used for international flights?

s.p.hansen Jul 19, 2014 6:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 6661091)
I guess we have wait for a while. When it will complete? What about TSA inline baggage screening system? Will they relocate it? What about international gates capable? How many gates will used for international flights?

The new parking garage and terminal with partially completed concourse opens in 2019. The old airport is demolished by 2020. By 2023 this phase of the new airport is complete and they decide if they will move to build an island concourse that will be accessible via underground people mover train like Denver's, or save that for a later time.

The gates will be more efficient and capable of accommodating more larger international flights while also being able to handle small regional jets like Skywest. This new airport will be able to do a lot more with about the same number of gates as the existing airport and will be able to expand with two additional island concourses.

delts145 Jul 19, 2014 7:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.p.hansen (Post 6660997)
That's because technically, they aren't done yet. This is like a design build freeway; it's happening as the thing goes. If you look at the timeline, construction on
the parking structure and main terminal doesn't even start until 2016.

According to the timeline we won't have the final terminal and concourse design until the second quarter of 2015!

Excellent point S.P. Also, the renderings that all the news outlets chose to show are pretty limited in number and too small to get a decent feel for the new designs. These recent renderings
posted by Skyguy are more numerous and with the additional size give a much better idea, especially of the interiors. If the ultimate terminal designs are anything like these I'll be very
happy. I'm impressed by both the look of it and especially the generous amount of natural woods and lighting. I think what we're getting with SLC will be far more attractive than the
large vapid minimalist space of so many terminals. This, and not to mention the lack of Salt Lakes dramatic setting to look at. The large window placements like this below looking out onto a
very close downtown and Wasatch backdrop will be fantastic.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1at91048PM.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy414 (Post 6441358)

Delta president Ed Bastian spoke to the SLC airport board a few weeks ago. Some highlights of his presentation to the board were:

- SLC is the fastest growing local market among all Delta hub cities.

- SLC is and will continue to be the primary gateway to the Mountain West.

- Delta plans to increase seat capacity 8% over the next five years in SLC.

- Number of flights will increase 1-2%

- To increase capacity, larger aircraft will be used and smaller regional aircraft flights will be reduced.

- New destinations will be added (TBA)

- Delta is fully comitted to the development of the new terminal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerboy (Post 6348824)

Love these renderings and the idea of giving the new airport a sense of place.

Love the textures and the focus on views of the mountains!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1at91019PM.png

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1at91135PM.png

justiny Jul 20, 2014 8:47 PM

The renderings remind me a little of Reagan National in the large windows, along with the TRAX station and parking garage almost the same setup as with the Metro Rail station there. I've always liked the design... Been a long time coming.

SLC Projects Jul 20, 2014 9:48 PM

So, looking at the future airport map and hearing about how the new concourse will be SIX Salt Lake City size blocks long it makes me wonder will we have some of the longest length-wise concourses out there.
For example, Denver's Concourse B ( I read ) is about .8 miles long. But that's including the arm that breaks off. A mile to Salt Lake City is 7 downtown blocks, so with ours being 6 blocks long puts it around .85 miles if my math is right. That puts it just over Denver's Concourse B by 264 FT again if my math is right.

Denver's Concourse B .8 mile 4224FT
Salt Lake's Future Concourse A .85 mile 4488FT

jubguy3 Jul 20, 2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 6662406)
So, looking at the future airport map and hearing about how the new concourse will be SIX Salt Lake City size blocks long it makes me wonder will we have some of the longest length-wise concourses out there.
For example, Denver's Concourse B ( I read ) is about .8 miles long. But that's including the arm that breaks off. A mile to Salt Lake City is 7 downtown blocks, so with ours being 6 blocks long puts it around .85 miles if my math is right. That puts it just over Denver's Concourse B by 264 FT again if my math is right.

Denver's Concourse B .8 mile 4224FT
Salt Lake's Future Concourse A .85 mile 4488FT

Hopefully there will be some sort of a moving walkway or airport circulator to get people around?

ryerop Jul 20, 2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jubguy3 (Post 6662436)
Hopefully there will be some sort of a moving walkway or airport circulator to get people around?

I know at least in one of the renderings that was posted it looked like there was a moving walkway, not saying that actually means anything at this point. But yeah there definitely should be something like that

justiny Jul 21, 2014 3:49 AM

DIA's moving walkways do help a little, but on a connecting flight trying to get from one end to the other is hell on earth. I've had that experience too many times. Hopefully Delta can minimize the distance of connections during certain arrival time frames... I don't know if that's even possible.