SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Tempe Projects Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=96153)

CrestedSaguaro Aug 1, 2014 10:06 PM

The tower crane base is in place at HFL3! Looks like the crane will be rising soon :cheers:

http://ryancompanies1.workzonecam.com/hayden

nickw252 Aug 1, 2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 6677754)
The tower crane base is in place at HFL3! Looks like the crane will be rising soon :cheers:

http://ryancompanies1.workzonecam.com/hayden

Ooh nice, another construction camera. That view will be a lot better when you can no longer see a parking garage at the corner of Mill and Rio Salado.

Anyone know if the University Place apartment tower has a work camera?

CrestedSaguaro Aug 1, 2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6677758)
Ooh nice, another construction camera. That view will be a lot better when you can no longer see a parking garage at the corner of Mill and Rio Salado.

Anyone know if the University Place apartment tower has a work camera?


I was thinking the same thing when looking at the construction cam. Will be a big improvement.

Can't find a webcam for University Place. Actually...I can't find much on University Place. I got results for housing and oddball stuff. Is that the official name of those apartments?

PHXFlyer11 Aug 1, 2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 6677780)
I was thinking the same thing when looking at the construction cam. Will be a big improvement.

Can't find a webcam for University Place. Actually...I can't find much on University Place. I got results for housing and oddball stuff. Is that the official name of those apartments?

Try University House, or Hub on Campus... http://www.universityhousetempe.com/

Arquitect Aug 2, 2014 3:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6677758)
Ooh nice, another construction camera. That view will be a lot better when you can no longer see a parking garage at the corner of Mill and Rio Salado.

Anyone know if the University Place apartment tower has a work camera?

Cameras are normally hosted through the General Contractor's website. The contractor is Beal Derkenne, and unfortunately they don't have this feature.

Jjs5056 Aug 3, 2014 7:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 6675232)
"zoning permits heights of 292 feet and 252 feet on the two parcels LPC proposes to develop"

I LOVE this! A 292 foot development on this parcel would rock! I can only hope Tempe pushes for a development of this scale and doesn't give in down the road to something less than stellar.

I think the explanation given was very smart, in that it addressed the multiple failures of the project. I think each of us here has a preference: architecture, urban design, height, etc. and all are important to the City and all were a big miss here. I don't think the buildings here need to be 292' when built out - I'd actually like to see the highest buildings to the west taper down toward McClintock to give a more human scale (would definitely love to see 200'+ towers in there, though!); the area has much more potential and I hope we've learned from HFL how to improve these developments.

4-level apartments with more modern finishes, that also included 2-story commercial with residential above lining the street from Rio Salado to each of these pads, probably would've been approved. Or, a single 250' tower of office and commercial. But, wasting land on generic 4-level sprawled apartments doesn't fit within the vision of the City in any way, and even after giving exact suggestions, the developer didn't adapt: unsurprising, as it's been 7 years and each proposed project has failed.

Jjs5056 Aug 3, 2014 7:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 6676120)

Did AZCentral mess up, or is Marina Heights incorporating a residential component, and HFL3 a retail piece?

The former might be The Lofts at Hayden Ferry scheduled to go just west, but it has never been mentioned in any other article. Similarly, HFL3 once included a retail portion - lining the west side of the garage - but, all news regarding the 3rd tower have mentioned office-only.

Hope both are true. A residential tower on Rural/Rio would make a nice entrance into Marina Heights, and retail along that garage is the only thing that could salvage HFL's site plan and draw pedestrians in.

As for the part where ULI warned against stacking buildings vertically, he's right technically, but this market is totally jacked and there's nothing between 5 stories and the 200' range. 10-12 story buildings would be great mixed in with the 5 and 20 story ones. But, those seem nonexistent, at which point the 5 story buildings have to become limited before having to start knocking down fairly recent buildings.

EDIT: Looks like this page has been updated. Retail will be included in HFL3. Sounds like it'll be ground level, rather than the garage attachment, which is a little disappointing based on the lack of success the other buildings have had. But, who knows, I'm also finding pictures now where the garage attachment AND ground level spaces are being shown as available... so maybe it will be somewhat visible from Mill and Rio in the end.
http://www.haydenferry.com/available.php

Jackdavis4 Aug 4, 2014 12:22 AM

Any news on the high-rise on University and Ash? I live down the street and theres have been crews there doing plumbing work.

PHXFlyer11 Aug 4, 2014 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackdavis4 (Post 6679260)
Any news on the high-rise on University and Ash? I live down the street and theres have been crews there doing plumbing work.

Are you certain it is the corner lot? I drove by two weeks ago and the lot next to Encore was being excavated, but no work still at University and Ash. I also don't recall that this ever showed up on the DRC agenda.

azsunsurfer Aug 4, 2014 1:49 PM

I noticed this weekend that the University streetscape project is in full swing. Most of the island medians between Preist and Mill seem to be done or they are in the progress of constructing them. Hopefully it will make this area a little more asthetically pleasing. I also noticed that Boston resturaunt finally closed. That lot would've made a nice infill corner but I assume it will probably be another eatery.

DevilsRider Aug 4, 2014 2:51 PM

Nothing that exciting, but City Council approved two new infill projects at their meeting on Thursday. Dorsey Lane Townhomes at Broadway and Dorsey (51 units, 3-story) and Rythym Development (single-family, 94 units at Priest and Knox, south of Warner).

DevilsRider Aug 4, 2014 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 6679607)
I noticed this weekend that the University streetscape project is in full swing. Most of the island medians between Preist and Mill seem to be done or they are in the progress of constructing them. Hopefully it will make this area a little more asthetically pleasing. I also noticed that Boston resturaunt finally closed. That lot would've made a nice infill corner but I assume it will probably be another eatery.

It will be nice when University and Hardy are done. University should be somewhat more calm and orderly, though not as much as it could have been. The traffic signals at Roosevelt and Farmer should be a big help in getting people from north to south.

I think that Broadway is next up for the city. Last I heard, the plan was to remove an eastbound lane from Mill to Rural, making it two lanes each way, with added bike lanes, enhanced sidewalk and landscaping, and walls replacing the orange trees separating the neighborhood from Broadway. Hopefully that one starts up soon!

CrestedSaguaro Aug 4, 2014 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6678797)
EDIT: Looks like this page has been updated. Retail will be included in HFL3. Sounds like it'll be ground level, rather than the garage attachment, which is a little disappointing based on the lack of success the other buildings have had. But, who knows, I'm also finding pictures now where the garage attachment AND ground level spaces are being shown as available... so maybe it will be somewhat visible from Mill and Rio in the end.
http://www.haydenferry.com/available.php

Right now, I wouldn't take anything on HF's website with a grain of salt. They are still listing the hotel component as 14 floors and their site plan still shows HFL East III and IV where State Farm is currently being built. :sly:

MegaBass Aug 5, 2014 3:34 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...62521768_n.jpg

Marina Heights.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...70283134_n.jpg

Sun Devil Stadium after north endzone upper deck removal.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...82089838_n.jpg

Former site of Alpha Drive.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...ce9699dfab78f5

Hub II construction crane.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...54903257_n.jpg

Hub II next to University House. Probably would of had a better vantage point of it from Stadium Parking Structure.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...45897145_n.jpg

Tempe Towne Lake Dam replacement underway.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...d1&oe=5458CF58

SkyWater Apartments at Towne Lake.

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...80112179_n.jpg

Hanover Project.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...62055622_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...10772006_n.jpg

College Avenue streetscape.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...83&oe=544F13B3

Harrington Birchett House got some exterior work done and new landscaping.

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...4f&oe=54462B92

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...51092629_n.jpg

College Avenue Commons

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...3f3d9f708f5ece

Nike Outlet Store err... I mean Sun Devil Marketplace at College Avenue Commons.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...28220091_n.jpg

College Avenue streetscape.

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...97&oe=5455EDBD

The Annex with rollaway garage doors installed.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...5751f3b0477bdc

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...88581516_n.jpg

Gammage Parkway PowerParasol with Gammage promo posters, desert landscaping and a lot of brickwork.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...05231514_n.jpg

Old Main fountain under renovations again...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...70041965_n.jpg

Alta Tempe.

Not photographed: University Center buildings now has ASU insignia and solar panels over the parking lot.

Mission @ Minder Binder looks awful.

Spitfiredude Aug 5, 2014 4:17 AM

Thanks for the pictures MegaBass they all look great. Everyone will really appreciate it. College Avenue is turning out better than I expected. Some solid projects transforming Tempe!

michael85225 Aug 5, 2014 8:20 AM

Tempe is getting it done! I'm loving the latest transformation we are witnessing. I remember being excited when Hayden Ferry and Centerpoint towers were going up and it feels great to get that feeling again.

DevilsRider Aug 5, 2014 2:52 PM

Great pictures as always, MegaBass. And it was a good call not to include the pictures for Mission @ Minder Binder. It looks just terrible. Every time I've passed it, I've thought "surely they'll be doing something soon, and it won't look so bad in the end." Nope :yuck:

PHX31 Aug 5, 2014 4:08 PM

Thanks for the pictures. There is really a ton going on in Tempe. I can't wait for ASU football to start. Gameday seems to be the only time I head over to Tempe and I'm always excited to see the changes from one year to the next. I'm glad College Avenue Commons and the streetscape will be complete. And i'm looking forward to seeing the Hub II rise each week. Of course, Marina Heights and the north end zone will be a big change.

DevilsRider Aug 5, 2014 6:50 PM

Maybe this is a dumb question, but building one for Marina Heights appears like it will be completed long before the others. Does anyone know if State Farm has any plans to start using that building early (or are they even allowed to with all the construction still surrounding it)? :shrug:

Also, I kind of wish OxBlue had a second camera on the site. Would be cool to see the perspective from the north side as well as the south...although having one camera is certainly better than having zero, and I'm glad they were able to get it up there on A Mountain for all of us to enjoy!

MegaBass Aug 5, 2014 11:14 PM

Also didn't get a chance to see if any movement at The Grand/1010 Lemon site. Forgot to look over at The Palms Hotel conversion. I don't recall much going on there when I drove by. Didn't check out REVO Gastropub at Tempe Transportation Center but it was good to see there's at least some tenant occupancy at University House. Which hopefully leads to tenants at the City Hall Garage.

As far as on-campus renovations surprised Farmer Building (Education) is still going on since like Spring 2011? Finally doing work on first level of the Language and Literature Building. Some landscaping on the west end of Business Administration to tie in in with the Dean's Patio/McCord Hall. Surprised there was no visible work being done to Hayden Library. I thought they already green-lit the renovation. They're really keen on Walk-Only Zone during the summer session around MU and Hayden that they had like six students patrolling out there.

MegaBass Aug 6, 2014 12:00 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuT-jk9CEAA08Hz.jpg

Sun Devil Marketplace at College Avenue Commons h/t Tom Tokoph ‏of UrbanRealty

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Btu7gVqCYAELxLz.jpg

Grab-And-Go market at College Avenue Commons (already open right by Harrington Birchett House)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtKxCiACYAAGOyL.jpg

Sneak peek of 4th-level student lounge at College Avenue Commons h/t ASU Business-Finance

Forgot to mention there will be a new location for ASU Food Truck Block Party on Wednesdays come September per ASU Parking and Transit.

Obadno Aug 6, 2014 5:00 PM

[QUOTE=DevilsRider;6681118]Maybe this is a dumb question, but building one for Marina Heights appears like it will be completed long before the others. Does anyone know if State Farm has any plans to start using that building early (or are they even allowed to with all the construction still surrounding it)? :shrug: [QUOTE]

As somone sending this from a state farm computer right now (shhh dont tell anyone:P) The plan (which is always changing) is that the first employes are supposed to be working by the last quarter of 2015.

Full buildout is 2017 so yes people **should** be working there before construciton is complete.

azsunsurfer Aug 6, 2014 5:33 PM

What a sexy tower...and nice proposed billboards/ art covering the garage.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26886

PHX31 Aug 6, 2014 6:07 PM

/\Nice.
It seems like it might have a problem with the FAA. Wonder how that will play out.

If you go to page 70 of the pdf, there is a letter of opposition from neighbors of the development. Turns out they are Van O'steen (anyone else remember Van O'steen & Partners commercials from years ago?). Their reasoning for their opposition is the typical NIMBY made up generalized hysteria of any and all potential urban issues, regardless of the specifics of any development. It's just so hilarious that people live in an urban area, and complain about development that fits in urban areas. If I was a member of a City Council and I received a similar complaint/opposition letter, it would actually make me even more in support of said development. And I don't understand how these people act like their shit don't stink. It's like they think "well, once I live here, all development must stop, I'm the end all be all of this area". What about people that preceeded you and how did the development of your residential house/building affect them at that time? The thought process for opposition of this type of development is just so pitiful, especially on the grounds of "vandalism" or "noise" or "litter" or "increased foot traffic".

CrestedSaguaro Aug 6, 2014 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6682365)
/\Nice.
It seems like it might have a problem with the FAA. Wonder how that will play out.

If you go to page 70 of the pdf, there is a letter of opposition from neighbors of the development. Turns out they are Van O'steen (anyone else remember Van O'steen & Partners commercials from years ago?). Their reasoning for their opposition is the typical NIMBY made up generalized hysteria of any and all potential urban issues, regardless of the specifics of any development. It's just so hilarious that people live in an urban area, and complain about development that fits in urban areas. If I was a member of a City Council and I received a similar complaint/opposition letter, it would actually make me even more in support of said development. And I don't understand how these people act like their shit don't stink. It's like they think "well, once I live here, all development must stop, I'm the end all be all of this area". What about people that preceeded you and how did the development of your residential house/building affect them at that time? The thought process for opposition of this type of development is just so pitiful, especially on the grounds of "vandalism" or "noise" or "litter" or "increased foot traffic".


Most, if not all flights, already come in farther north because of Tempe Butte. So, I don't really see this becoming an approval issue even if the FAA does lower height recommendations since this building would be directly in the line of site with Tempe Butte and is only slightly farther north of the taller W6.

*Edit
After looking through the proposal, that site would only pentrate 1 out 4 of FAA's criteria. This really should be ok with passing the FAA requirements and I'm sure Tempe won't have a problem with adding markers on the building. lol :fingerscrossed:

PHXFlyer11 Aug 6, 2014 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 6682289)
What a sexy tower...and nice proposed billboards/ art covering the garage.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26886

I had been waiting for them to post this! Thanks for sharing.

I don't care for the LOOK of the building, however, I think that is mainly due to the firm doing the renderings rather than the actual building itself. It looks hollow in my opinion. I believe what they were focusing on was the structure and floor plans, not specific materials and design at this point, so it may be ok.

What I LOVE about this product is how little the footprint is. I think this can really inspire more towers on Ash between 5th and 3rd. Eventually I think Tempe will RFP out the land directly to the East that is currently parking, so long as a public garage is included in the project. Not sure who own the portion of the lot to the North, but I can see 3-4 towers or more eventually on this immediate area, which is just awesome!

DevilsRider Aug 6, 2014 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6682365)
If you go to page 70 of the pdf, there is a letter of opposition from neighbors of the development. Turns out they are Van O'steen (anyone else remember Van O'steen & Partners commercials from years ago?). Their reasoning for their opposition is the typical NIMBY made up generalized hysteria of any and all potential urban issues, regardless of the specifics of any development. It's just so hilarious that people live in an urban area, and complain about development that fits in urban areas. If I was a member of a City Council and I received a similar complaint/opposition letter, it would actually make me even more in support of said development. And I don't understand how these people act like their shit don't stink. It's like they think "well, once I live here, all development must stop, I'm the end all be all of this area". What about people that preceeded you and how did the development of your residential house/building affect them at that time? The thought process for opposition of this type of development is just so pitiful, especially on the grounds of "vandalism" or "noise" or "litter" or "increased foot traffic".

My favorite part? Apparently, Hanover is now a "high rise". What a pair of comedians! :haha:

PHXFlyer11 Aug 6, 2014 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6682365)
/\Nice.
It seems like it might have a problem with the FAA. Wonder how that will play out.

If you go to page 70 of the pdf, there is a letter of opposition from neighbors of the development. Turns out they are Van O'steen (anyone else remember Van O'steen & Partners commercials from years ago?). Their reasoning for their opposition is the typical NIMBY made up generalized hysteria of any and all potential urban issues, regardless of the specifics of any development. It's just so hilarious that people live in an urban area, and complain about development that fits in urban areas. If I was a member of a City Council and I received a similar complaint/opposition letter, it would actually make me even more in support of said development. And I don't understand how these people act like their shit don't stink. It's like they think "well, once I live here, all development must stop, I'm the end all be all of this area". What about people that preceeded you and how did the development of your residential house/building affect them at that time? The thought process for opposition of this type of development is just so pitiful, especially on the grounds of "vandalism" or "noise" or "litter" or "increased foot traffic".

I don't put much stock into these comments in Tempe. I think the city is focused on the big picture and this project absolutely fits into their plans. If it were another city or not rich in the heart of downtown Tempe maybe I'd be more concern.

plinko Aug 7, 2014 5:41 AM

Nice. Some friends of mine designed that.

Jjs5056 Aug 7, 2014 11:32 AM

Well, it's hard to get excited over a project that won't begin work until 1/2017. =/ It would be great for a development like this to break ground soon, and hopefully inspire similar projects. Hoping that by then, the market isn't saturated with more 5-story dumps that the tower isn't doable anymore.

Not a huge fan of the planned streetcar, but does that form of transit promote dense development anywhere near the way light rail does? I wonder how that will impact the remaining parts of Ash. Even without the car, it should be treated as a major street similar to College, so hopefully the city will try to get the land it owns developed as someone mentioned. Still can't believe they built that monster garage adjacent to the 3rd/Mill stop without any office or retail uses. But, with some dense urban projects between, hopefully the garage-filled ends of the road won't appear so out of place.

1) What is Mission @ Minder Binder and why is it so bad?
2) In love with College Ave - can't wait to see it with the Annex completed; I hope they're able to finish out the plaza area with the retail buildings they were saving room for (to the west and north). With the historic home being converted to an office, that would leave just the NW corner, and I'm fine OK waiting until a decent-sized tower is needed. This is definitely what Phoenix should've been envisioning for Adams Street.
- Any set timeline for the rest of the streetscape? Too bad they can't finish to at least Veterans Way to integrate 5C Studios, Hub, etc.
- I remember hearing University Towers were going private again and were being renovated- is that still happening?
3) Argo/Skywater looks good so far - seems to be taking forever, though! Really interested in what the finished product includes amenities/retail-wise.
4) RE: any construction along Ash - was it confirmed whether any work was being done on the Mosaic or Encore II lots? I think Encore II is approved and ready to go (4 stories with 1 floor of retail), so that'd be somewhat good news. The Mosaic lot still has a ways to go, and the only thing we've seen is that it has a max height of 5 stories planned, which is hopefully a mistake.
5) Glad the University streetscape is almost done - too bad it didn't happen 10 or so years earlier when the plans were a lot more elaborate in terms of shade trees, sidewalk widths, etc. As for Boston's - it seems like developers always shy away from University, as even the best-positioned lots have failed to produce anything but 1-story, generic buildings: CVS, Chase, Chik Fil-A... wish we could get more Vale-like projects to the east.

Tito714 Aug 7, 2014 12:05 PM

I think the southern most runway at Sky Harbor is mainly used, and correct me if I'm wrong, for the cargo planes ex. fedex planes. I've also seen general aviation use that southern most runway. I'm sure no commercial flights use that southern most runway.

TempeSilverFox Aug 7, 2014 1:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tito714 (Post 6683273)
I think the southern most runway at Sky Harbor is mainly used, and correct me if I'm wrong, for the cargo planes ex. fedex planes. I've also seen general aviation use that southern most runway. I'm sure no commercial flights use that southern most runway.

Southwest Airlines uses both of the southern runways extensively since their terminal is located on the southern side of Terminal Four. I live directly under the approach (On First St.) and I can see the approach for both southern runways - as well as watch planes coming in for a landing on the north runway (Ahhhh love watching British Airways glide in every evening....)
But, as you say, FedEx and UPS seem to always be on the southern flight path as well. Those DC-10s are so fun when they fly over our pool!

Tito714 Aug 7, 2014 2:47 PM

Cool thanks. Yeah those British Airways planes are awesome!

MegaBass Aug 7, 2014 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6683257)

1) What is Mission @ Minder Binder and why is it so bad?

http://i.azcentral.com/i/8/5/8/L169_...6863b57858.jpg

Minder Binders will live, but hangout won’t look the same

Quote:

Since May [2013] the old barn has been undergoing a transformation and will see better days ahead.

There’s good news and bad news. On the positive side, new owner Kristen Bell promises that the Mission @ Minder Binder will “bring back part of Tempe history,” retaining much of the character of the original’s interior.

For lovers of the barnlike look, the news is not as good. It is undergoing a major face-lift.

The plan, Bell says, is to “restore the original building along with expanding on the design and upgrading the exterior elevations with a Santa Fe style façade to bring a part of Arizona history back to life.”

What that means is the once giant red barn will now be a giant, stucco-covered Mission-style building.

nickw252 Aug 7, 2014 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox (Post 6683329)
Ahhhh love watching British Airways glide in every evening....)

I was a "distracted driver" one night last week on the 202 watching one of the British Airways wide-bodies come in for a landing.

plinko Aug 7, 2014 7:04 PM

The southernmost runway is used generally for landing only for jet aircraft given that it's alot shorter. Not sure about general aviation though.

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/media/maps/arpt/PHX.jpg
source

Since it was built, seemingly most times I've been on SW or one of the other airlines on the south side (T2, T3) we've landed on that runway.

PHXFlyer11 Aug 7, 2014 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko (Post 6683815)
Since it was built, seemingly most times I've been on SW or one of the other airlines on the south side (T2, T3) we've landed on that runway.

I've landed on the south most runway several times recently on US Air. I only recall ever landing on that runway though, never taking off. It's a little bit concerning when you know you are landing on that runway and you still haven't touched down by the time you see T3, knowing that it is significantly shorter than the others.

nickw252 Aug 13, 2014 3:46 PM

I saw the middle tower crane at Marina Heights was raised.

That building is now at 10 floors above ground and facade work has begun on the lower levels.

azsunsurfer Aug 13, 2014 4:42 PM

I noticed this morning on the 10 (at the Broadway Curve) that the Fountainhead lot south of the UoP complex has a trailer advertising that approved office building available for lease. Unfortunately from what I could tell the new rendering shows a shorter building (maybe 5 stories?) and the original building was entitled for 14 stories. Too bad, same thing happened with the Discovery Center off the 101 and Elliot.

dtnphx Aug 14, 2014 3:39 PM

$30M Apartment community planned along Apache Blvd. in Tempe

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_...ue_date=August

MegaBass Aug 14, 2014 6:29 PM

The second phase of Walk Only Zone will begin August 21, 2014 and cover Palm Walk (from Tyler Mall to Lemon Mall) and Tyler Mall (from Old Main to the Goldwater Center).

A formal Walk-Only Zones enforcement process took effect
March 31, 2014 and extended support of the zones and pedestrian safety on the ASU Tempe campus. The second Phase will begin enforcement on August 21, 2014.
ASU student, faculty and staff enforcement process:

First violation: A Campus Mall Enforcement staff member issues individuals who are not observing Walk-Only Zones guidelines a written warning
Second violation:
Students must attend an ASU Police Department Bicycle Safety class
Faculty and staff must attend an ASU Driving on the Mall class
Third violation: Individuals will receive a referral to the Dean of Students, Dean, or Vice President

ASU Police Department Bicycle Safety class

The classes cover:
Bicycle and traffic laws that bicyclists need to obey
Laws that bicyclists tend to get cited for the most
A $15 administrative charge must be paid at the start of class. Only cash and money orders payable to the ASU Police Department are accepted.
The classes are held at the ASU Police Department: 325 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe AZ
Class time is 3-5 p.m. Depending on the number of attendees and their questions, the class can last anywhere between 90 minutes and two hours.
To schedule your class:
Call the bike information line: 480.965.6068
A recorded message will outline the class schedule, location and time
Leave a message with the date you want to attend class and your phone number
You will receive a call back with information about what you must do beforehand and what you need to bring to class.
Bicycle diversion classes are now available online. The administrative charge of $18 is payable online.

Bicycling at ASU Fall 2014 new additions include:
Bicycle valet station located near the Noble Science Library
Card-access bicycle parking facility located on Palm Walk just north of Tyler Mall

Arquitect Aug 14, 2014 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaBass (Post 6691212)
The second phase of Walk Only Zone will begin August 21, 2014 and cover Palm Walk (from Tyler Mall to Lemon Mall) and Tyler Mall (from Old Main to the Goldwater Center).

A formal Walk-Only Zones enforcement process took effect
March 31, 2014 and extended support of the zones and pedestrian safety on the ASU Tempe campus. The second Phase will begin enforcement on August 21, 2014.
ASU student, faculty and staff enforcement process:

First violation: A Campus Mall Enforcement staff member issues individuals who are not observing Walk-Only Zones guidelines a written warning
Second violation:
Students must attend an ASU Police Department Bicycle Safety class
Faculty and staff must attend an ASU Driving on the Mall class
Third violation: Individuals will receive a referral to the Dean of Students, Dean, or Vice President

ASU Police Department Bicycle Safety class

The classes cover:
Bicycle and traffic laws that bicyclists need to obey
Laws that bicyclists tend to get cited for the most
A $15 administrative charge must be paid at the start of class. Only cash and money orders payable to the ASU Police Department are accepted.
The classes are held at the ASU Police Department: 325 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe AZ
Class time is 3-5 p.m. Depending on the number of attendees and their questions, the class can last anywhere between 90 minutes and two hours.
To schedule your class:
Call the bike information line: 480.965.6068
A recorded message will outline the class schedule, location and time
Leave a message with the date you want to attend class and your phone number
You will receive a call back with information about what you must do beforehand and what you need to bring to class.
Bicycle diversion classes are now available online. The administrative charge of $18 is payable online.

Even though I am completely for this measure, (since I got run over as a pedestrian on ASU multiple times by bikes and skateboarders; mostly skateboarders), how much money does the Police Department make ASU?! The parking tickets are already insane, now this? Oh well, have to pay for those pretty new buildings somehow.

Leo the Dog Aug 14, 2014 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 6690988)
$30M Apartment community planned along Apache Blvd. in Tempe

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_...ue_date=August

One less mobile home park along Apache corridor is a good thing!

DevilsRider Aug 14, 2014 8:06 PM

Curious as to what penalty a non-ASU person would face from ignoring the walk only zones...say, someone who cuts through campus on a bike as part of their commute or errands?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaBass (Post 6691212)
The second phase of Walk Only Zone will begin August 21, 2014 and cover Palm Walk (from Tyler Mall to Lemon Mall) and Tyler Mall (from Old Main to the Goldwater Center).

A formal Walk-Only Zones enforcement process took effect
March 31, 2014 and extended support of the zones and pedestrian safety on the ASU Tempe campus. The second Phase will begin enforcement on August 21, 2014.
ASU student, faculty and staff enforcement process:

First violation: A Campus Mall Enforcement staff member issues individuals who are not observing Walk-Only Zones guidelines a written warning
Second violation:
Students must attend an ASU Police Department Bicycle Safety class
Faculty and staff must attend an ASU Driving on the Mall class
Third violation: Individuals will receive a referral to the Dean of Students, Dean, or Vice President

ASU Police Department Bicycle Safety class

The classes cover:
Bicycle and traffic laws that bicyclists need to obey
Laws that bicyclists tend to get cited for the most
A $15 administrative charge must be paid at the start of class. Only cash and money orders payable to the ASU Police Department are accepted.
The classes are held at the ASU Police Department: 325 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe AZ
Class time is 3-5 p.m. Depending on the number of attendees and their questions, the class can last anywhere between 90 minutes and two hours.
To schedule your class:
Call the bike information line: 480.965.6068
A recorded message will outline the class schedule, location and time
Leave a message with the date you want to attend class and your phone number
You will receive a call back with information about what you must do beforehand and what you need to bring to class.
Bicycle diversion classes are now available online. The administrative charge of $18 is payable online.

Bicycling at ASU Fall 2014 new additions include:
Bicycle valet station located near the Noble Science Library
Card-access bicycle parking facility located on Palm Walk just north of Tyler Mall


DevilsRider Aug 14, 2014 8:31 PM

Thanks for the new info, dtnphx! We started discussing this project a few pages back, and it's gone through Development Review: http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26493

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6691247)
One less mobile home park along Apache corridor
is a good thing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 6690988)
$30M Apartment community planned along Apache Blvd. in Tempe

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_...ue_date=August


Good project; even the units in the way back are only about a 12-minute walk from the station. I do wish they could build in the ability to run an E/W neighborhood street through these deep lots when enough of them get redeveloped, though.

Hopefully the adjacent trailer park is next; ideally, they could figure out a way to share the west driveway/parking area from this proposal and the existing Grigio driveway to reduce conflicts on Apache by removing a driveway (a new E/W access road in partnership with Tempe Paintball or Ken's Auto would be great, too) but I know that's probably hopeless optimism on my part :tumbleweed:

Jjs5056 Aug 15, 2014 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsRider (Post 6691389)
Thanks for the new info, dtnphx! We started discussing this project a few pages back, and it's gone through Development Review: http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26493






Good project; even the units in the way back are only about a 12-minute walk from the station. I do wish they could build in the ability to run an E/W neighborhood street through these deep lots when enough of them get redeveloped, though.

Hopefully the adjacent trailer park is next; ideally, they could figure out a way to share the west driveway/parking area from this proposal and the existing Grigio driveway to reduce conflicts on Apache by removing a driveway (a new E/W access road in partnership with Tempe Paintball or Ken's Auto would be great, too) but I know that's probably hopeless optimism on my part :tumbleweed:

Yes, this project was already discussed weeks ago; but, your last paragraph sums up the criticism I posted back then. It's great that these developers were creative with the awkward piece of land they assembled, but the long-term impact it leaves in terms of the remaining parcels around it kind of sucks and a better approach would've been to try and acquire the 2nd trailer park over a period of time so that those kind of issues would've been avoided. I can't imagine they would be too hard to buy out, but time is money... I just think we'll see that park remain or go vacant before any developer spends money trying to create something with all of the obstacles involved.

More details are in regarding the Culinary Dropout project and Farmer Arts District:
http://inbusinessmag.com/just-in/fox...e#.U-4FybErbpc

Sounds really awesome, and The Madison is another great addition to downtown. Things I hadn't noticed being mentioned:
1) The pedestrian passage from University to Town Lake will indeed be extended with this development; Fox is quoted as saying it will be even more than that.
2) The Lodge Bar and Grill will be replacing The Sail Inn; great that it didn't stay vacant for long at all and shows the confidence in this area!
3) Ash/University highrise with Whole Foods market is mentioned in the article - not sure if that means anything, but fingers crossed.

DevilsRider Aug 15, 2014 2:42 PM

"even more than that" I wonder if that means extending it south to 5th street along the east side of the parking lot? If so, that would be awesome, and would make a continuous path from 1st to about 7th St.

I also love how the whole project is coming together, and incorporating live music should help take some more of the sting out of the Sail Inn going away. It's likely to be one of my favorite spots in Tempe from the moment it opens!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6691732)
More details are in regarding the Culinary Dropout project and Farmer Arts District:
http://inbusinessmag.com/just-in/fox...e#.U-4FybErbpc

Sounds really awesome, and The Madison is another great addition to downtown. Things I hadn't noticed being mentioned:
1) The pedestrian passage from University to Town Lake will indeed be extended with this development; Fox is quoted as saying it will be even more than that.
2) The Lodge Bar and Grill will be replacing The Sail Inn; great that it didn't stay vacant for long at all and shows the confidence in this area!
3) Ash/University highrise with Whole Foods market is mentioned in the article - not sure if that means anything, but fingers crossed.


Arquitect Aug 15, 2014 4:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsRider (Post 6692141)
"even more than that" I wonder if that means extending it south to 5th street along the east side of the parking lot? If so, that would be awesome, and would make a continuous path from 1st to about 7th St.

That is indeed what the final outcome will be. However, I believe that it won't actually happen until the land gets developed. The first phase was a collaboration between the developers of Encore and the city. It is very likely that the second chunk of it would be done in a similar manner.

Tempe has been pretty smart about these types of moves. Unlike other cities that completely bend over for any developer asking for changes to the code to build their proposal, Tempe asks for something in return. Sometimes it is something as simple as remodeling the streetscape and planting shade trees in front of the development (as was required from the District on Apache). But there definitely is this underlying concept that if you are going to build in Tempe, you are going to be a part of Tempe, and therefore should do a little to make it better. Wish other cities in the valley learned from this.

Arquitect Aug 15, 2014 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6691732)
Yes, this project was already discussed weeks ago; but, your last paragraph sums up the criticism I posted back then. It's great that these developers were creative with the awkward piece of land they assembled, but the long-term impact it leaves in terms of the remaining parcels around it kind of sucks and a better approach would've been to try and acquire the 2nd trailer park over a period of time so that those kind of issues would've been avoided. I can't imagine they would be too hard to buy out, but time is money... I just think we'll see that park remain or go vacant before any developer spends money trying to create something with all of the obstacles involved.

More details are in regarding the Culinary Dropout project and Farmer Arts District:
http://inbusinessmag.com/just-in/fox...e#.U-4FybErbpc

Sounds really awesome, and The Madison is another great addition to downtown. Things I hadn't noticed being mentioned:
1) The pedestrian passage from University to Town Lake will indeed be extended with this development; Fox is quoted as saying it will be even more than that.
2) The Lodge Bar and Grill will be replacing The Sail Inn; great that it didn't stay vacant for long at all and shows the confidence in this area!
3) Ash/University highrise with Whole Foods market is mentioned in the article - not sure if that means anything, but fingers crossed.

I don't really have a problem with long blocks. And as someone who blasts the car-centric culture as often as you can, I'm surprised you are for more streets. More entrances off of Apache would slow down traffic on Apache, and make it possible for people to cross from one side to another more easily, ultimately making it easier for this are to be a successful mix-use corridor for retail. Nobody likes crossing a high speed wide road.

Instead of adding vehicular access, it would be nicer for the long blocks to be cut only for pedestrians (and bikers), since they are the ones affected by longer distances. Something like this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/arcb_projec...er-Plan_mo.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/arcb_projec...-Garden_mo.jpg

DevilsRider Aug 15, 2014 9:49 PM

I am a big fan of pedestrian blocks and dedicated pathways. In the case of properties on Apache, I'd prefer to see fewer driveways on Apache itself, both right-in, right-out driveways which only increase conflicts between drivers and non-drivers, but also signalized intersections (which can slow down the light rail and increase turning conflict points. The only type of crossing I'd want to see more of on Apache is HAWKs or dedicated bike/ped signals, such as at the Tempe Canal crossing.

The idea behind another street between Apache and the tracks is to improve the grid, and encourage property ingress/egress away from the transit/bike/ped corridor that Apache is becoming to reduce conflicts at existing driveways and shift traffic to signalized intersections or McClintock/Price. I think Tempe actually does have a desire to put a path adjacent to the railroad tracks at some point? But if they don't, I think a bike/ped path that cuts through the middle of these blocks would be wonderful!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arquitect (Post 6692544)
I don't really have a problem with long blocks. And as someone who blasts the car-centric culture as often as you can, I'm surprised you are for more streets. More entrances off of Apache would slow down traffic on Apache, and make it possible for people to cross from one side to another more easily, ultimately making it easier for this are to be a successful mix-use corridor for retail. Nobody likes crossing a high speed wide road.

Instead of adding vehicular access, it would be nicer for the long blocks to be cut only for pedestrians (and bikers), since they are the ones affected by longer distances. Something like this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/arcb_projec...er-Plan_mo.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/arcb_projec...-Garden_mo.jpg



All times are GMT. The time now is 1:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.