SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Basketball in Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=219504)

theman23 Aug 26, 2020 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 9023199)
There are tons of Raps and Jays fans in BC. Rest of Canada as well. Maybe you're in an eccentric wormhole where people don't watch hoops or baseball.

I really doubt anyone in Castlegar plays basketball. Ive been there. The extent of most people’s exercise is limited to climbing into their lifted truck so they can drive on over to McDonald’s to enjoy a fancy dinner.

Also, Denscity loves using the no true British Columbian fallacy whenever the topic of Toronto sports comes up.

Denscity Aug 26, 2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theman23 (Post 9023292)
I really doubt anyone in Castlegar plays basketball. Ive been there. The extent of most people’s exercise is limited to climbing into their lifted truck so they can drive on over to McDonald’s to enjoy a fancy dinner.

Also, Denscity loves using the no true British Columbian fallacy whenever the topic of Toronto sports comes up.

Haha people usually shoot hoops at the college's double gym or outdoor at the elementary school downtown. But ya not a huge scene. Most people just shoot hoops at home in their carport.

You'll also be surprised that I'll be hosting a Raptors viewing party for my Toronto friend who moved here to Castlegar.

whatnext Aug 26, 2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 9023086)
Two.

Two Canadian Raptors? "Canada's Team" for sure...:rolleyes:

Maldive Aug 26, 2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 9023160)
The Raps and Celtics looking to boycott Game 1 of their series. My question is if both teams boycott will they will they make it a best of 5 series or just ad a game 8 if both teams end up with 3 wins a piece. Also if they do boycott playing I would love it if both teams came out took the knee during the anthems then just walked off the court. That would be a very powerful moment. More so then them just not showing up. It will also leave the broadcaster guessing that could lead to 3 hrs of discussions on the injustice that has gone on for far too long.

Celtics, Raptors continue discussions about possibly boycotting Game 1

source: https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...boycott-update

“Boycotting the game has come up for them as a way to again try to demand a little more action,” Nurse said. “I think that’s really what they want. I think there’s enough attention, and there’s not quite enough action, and I think that’s what I can sense from the discussion.”

Regardless if Game 1 happens as scheduled, it’s clear players are intent on finding alternative ways to use their platforms. Players did not elaborate on what else is being considered.

I applaud Canada's Raptors for their BLM efforts and hope Boston and Toronto agree to the boycott.

It begs the question.. isn't it particularly timely for Milwaukee to take some action? Maybe that's in the works.

JHikka Aug 26, 2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maldive (Post 9023379)
I applaud Canada's Raptors for their BLM efforts and hope Boston and Toronto agree to the boycott.

It begs the question.. isn't it particularly timely for Milwaukee to take some action? Maybe that's in the works.

Milwaukee has already boycotted their game tonight and all NBA games have been postponed tonight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 9023377)
Two Canadian Raptors? "Canada's Team" for sure...:rolleyes:

• Team is located in Canada
  • Team is only Canadian team in league

Not difficult to wrap one's head around. These fun nationality requirements don't come up when people start proclaiming X NHL Team is Canada's Team, I wonder why :hmmm:

Denscity Aug 26, 2020 11:17 PM

If it doesn't say Canada on the jersey then it is not Canada's team.

JHikka Aug 26, 2020 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9023389)
If it doesn't say Canada on the jersey then it is not Canada's team.

This was you four days ago:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9018827)
The Vancouver Canucks are now CANADA'S TEAM!!!

Maldive Aug 26, 2020 11:37 PM

Some folks just won't support a team from a British Colony.

TorontoDrew Aug 27, 2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9023383)
Milwaukee has already boycotted their game tonight and all NBA games have been postponed tonight.

• Team is located in Canada
  • Team is only Canadian team in league

Not difficult to wrap one's head around. These fun nationality requirements don't come up when people start proclaiming X NHL Team is Canada's Team, I wonder why :hmmm:

Im proud that it was players of the only Canadian team that started this movement in the NBA. The league is in talks tonight but i would be surprised if all the first games didnt end up cancelled.

I hope they call out Trump and the Republican party for their lack of empathy and action as well.

elly63 Aug 27, 2020 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 9023464)
I hope they call out Trump and the Republican party for their lack of empathy and action as well.

Really?

elly63 Aug 27, 2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 9023215)
99% of the Raps fans in BC won't even recognize those names and teams.

If that's the case that's f'n pathetic.

Denscity Aug 27, 2020 3:14 AM

That's what I'm saying Toronto teams are irrelevant in British Columbia.

theman23 Aug 27, 2020 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9023497)
If that's the case that's f'n pathetic.

Raptors fans are generally very young, and many would have been in diapers or not even conceived the last time the Grizzlies played a game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9023754)
That's what I'm saying Toronto teams are irrelevant in British Columbia.

Yes, we know. In the last decade, I think you’ve told us this about 500 times. Each reminder being completely unsolicited.

WhipperSnapper Aug 27, 2020 3:40 PM

The Raptors/Jays are the only teams based in Canada in the respective leagues. That hardly makes them Canada's team. It's understandable for the Raptors to be among the most popular team for NBA fans in Canada as they have the most coverage and broadcasts. There's no patriotism in being Canadian and a Raptor fans no matter how great the marketing pitch is.

I don't believe in cancelling the season will have a major effect itself. With that said, players are locked in a bubble away from their families affected by another aggressive police response and after everything that has happened since the Floyd murder. They can only participate in the prtoest so much from a bubble too. The latter is more than enough to walk away from the season.

esquire Aug 27, 2020 3:58 PM

^ The Raptors have soared in popularity around here lately but I'm sure that it has to do with their recent success. The basketball fans I know tend to have fairly loose loyalties, which is not surprising given that there's no home team to cheer for. I'd expect support for the Raptors to evaporate if they drop in the standings, in much the same way that no one is really into the Cavs anymore.

The Jays seem to have more long-term long-distance fans who stick with the team. They are the only team around here with a true "Canada's team" thing going on that I can pick up on. It was kind of waning a bit but that playoff run a few years ago rejuvenated it.

WhipperSnapper Aug 27, 2020 4:20 PM

True too. The Raptor have one of the best winning percentage over the past decade and are defending champions. There are also other teams with much better playoff records that have a closer relationship to Canadian regional markets than Toronto does. Coverage is a driving force. We The North has had tremendous influence as much as its a cheap ploy manipulating Canadian pride.

JHikka Sep 3, 2020 3:26 AM

With Jamal Murray being on fire in the first round, Lu Dort putting in career-high points tonight, and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander playing well, there seems to be more Canadian content in this year's playoffs than usual.

Denscity Sep 3, 2020 3:33 PM

Steve Nash now the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets.

megadude Sep 3, 2020 6:04 PM

Dammit. Love Steve but obviously have to root against a division rival. I'm not liking this conflict of interest.

When Triano was interim of the Suns, at least that was some far flung team.

I don't picture Steve as the coaching type for some reason. Based on his personality I see him more as a behind the scenes guy like in his role at Basketball Canada. I wouldn't be excited about the hire if I were a Nets fan.

rousseau Sep 4, 2020 1:21 AM

Wow!

Bishop2047 Sep 4, 2020 4:00 AM

Well, that was great.

shappy Sep 4, 2020 1:06 PM

That reaction was so OG... just strolling off the court like he finished practice.

MonctonRad Sep 4, 2020 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 9024185)
True too. The Raptor have one of the best winning percentage over the past decade and are defending champions. There are also other teams with much better playoff records that have a closer relationship to Canadian regional markets than Toronto does. Coverage is a driving force. We The North has had tremendous influence as much as its a cheap ploy manipulating Canadian pride.

I would say that if there was one sports team that could make the claim to be "Canada's team", it would be the Raptors. They have no rival for affection amongst basketball fans in the country. They also go out of their way to build bridges with the rest of the country.

In hockey, with seven teams in the NHL, and with regional loyalties like for Bruins in Atlantic Canada, there is just too much fragmentation for one team to dominate.

In baseball, for one short period of time in the mid 1990s, the Blue Jays were briefly Canada's team, but that time has passed, and there are a lot of regional and tribal loyalties amongst Canadian baseball fans for teams across North America.

There is also no "Canada's team" in football (CFL or NFL).

isaidso Sep 4, 2020 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9031926)

There is also no "Canada's team" in football (CFL or NFL).

One can make the argument that the Roughriders are Canada's football team. You can go to practically any region of the country and find Riders fans. I'm sure that won't sit well in Winnipeg though.

isaidso Sep 4, 2020 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shappy (Post 9031867)
That reaction was so OG... just strolling off the court like he finished practice.

A lot of British people are like that, including myself. Canadians mistake it for no emotion but Brits wear their emotions on the inside. It's about staying calm, maintaining ones composure, controlled response, etc. I do it instinctually. Despite having lived the majority of my life in Canada, I still find people over here to be extremely dramatic, noisy, and untamed. The first time I watched 'Family Feud' I couldn't believe it. Why were these families clapping or talking when the host wasn't addressing them? I still find it bizarre.

When OG shot that 3 my thoughts turned to 'watch that thing go in'. When it did I was dead silent. I was filled with emotion but you wouldn't know it.

WhipperSnapper Sep 5, 2020 5:21 AM

That may explain The Brits long history of rioting. Looks like they bottle their emotions but that cap can only hold the pressure so long.

suburbanite Sep 5, 2020 12:53 PM

Doesn't explain the away section at any PL game. Controlled and composed are not the first words I would use to describe it.

Football fans are the stereotypical hooligans across the pond though.

elly63 Sep 5, 2020 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 9032341)
One can make the argument that the Roughriders are Canada's football team. You can go to practically any region of the country and find Riders fans. I'm sure that won't sit well in Winnipeg though.

It is true though, I guess it depends on the definition of "Canada's team". The Leafs and Habs used to have big followings across the country, I'm not sure if it is the same now as it used to be. Maybe a definition would be the most popular team after the hometown team.

rousseau Sep 6, 2020 1:52 AM

Oh yeah, baby! The Raps looked like themselves tonight. Shaq predicted a Celtics blowout, but he was...wrong!

The Celtics look frustrated. I think the momentum has swung. Toronto has the mojo now.

elly63 Sep 6, 2020 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9031019)
Steve Nash now the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets.

Funny no one has mentioned his hiring being due to "white privilege"

rousseau Sep 8, 2020 1:10 AM

Well, fuck...that's it for this season. Can't for the life of me figure out how this happened, but I could tell right from their first possession that Lowry wasn't going to play aggressively and set the tone like he did for games 3 and 4. That's the only way they're going to beat good teams, and a couple other players were even quoted declaring that as Lowry goes, so the Raps go.

So why didn't Lowry do what he did the previous two games? Was he tired?

As the game started Jack Armstrong praised Siakam for his play in the two previous games, that he wasn't just standing around playing iso ball, which he isn't good enough (yet?) to pull off. But that's exactly what he did this game. Why did the entire team seem to fall back into the game plan of the first two losses?

It's one thing to go down fighting, but this was a weird mental collapse and shoddy defense. Very disappointing.

rousseau Sep 10, 2020 2:13 AM

And now they come right back and play their guts out for a win in double OT. I don't know what to think anymore. These wild swings are wreaking havoc with my state of mental equilibrium, but what a ride this is.

logan5 Sep 10, 2020 2:24 AM

Vegas is outshooting and outplaying Dallas a lot like they outplayed Vancouver. Maybe Vegas is simply unstoppable.

EDIT - oops. Wrong thread.

Maldive Sep 10, 2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 9034907)
Well, fuck...that's it for this season.

Maybe gonna use your crystal ball as a perfect "reverse barometer" like most NBA commentators' predictions. Got any stock market tips - buy or sell? ;-)

The Raps in 7, the so-called 'home' team in this series is due to win one. Hopefully neither of us has a heart-attack Friday night lol.

Announcer on airport speakers: Mr. Siakam...? Mr. Siakam? Your flight is boarding at Game 7... excuse me... Gate 7.

WhipperSnapper Sep 10, 2020 8:03 PM

Haven't paid too much attention. It's been all Lakers, Clippers and, Bucks when I have. Has there been opinions on the Raptors?

They won 3 of 4. I think they have Boston figured out. They just all, collectively, have to play well.

rousseau Sep 12, 2020 4:37 AM

Anti-climactic loss after the all-time great playoff game that was game 6. They went out with a whimper, and Boston's greater talent won out.

Impressions:

1. Jayson Tatum is a lot better than Pascal Siakam. Tatum is an emerging superstar, while Pascal may have reached his ceiling. Though if he does improve next year Toronto will remain a very good playoff team, if not a contender.
2. There's no way that Kyle Lowry can play with this intensity for another year. I think he peaked over the past two seasons, and was clearly burnt out against Boston. He wasn't able to muster up the fortitude to be the go-to guy to win games 5 and 7 because he was playing at the limit of his physical capabilities.
3. Can anyone remind me of when Gasol was good? Because he was crap, and I think he gets a sizable portion of the blame for the playoff flame-out. So many missed shots, so much awful defence (still astounds me that he was the Defensive Player of the Year once--he must have been a very different player back when he won that).

My pride wants me to say that the Celtics have to win the whole thing if they were good enough to beat the Raps, but the truth is that they probably can't beat either of the Los Angeles teams in a 7-game series.

Berklon Sep 12, 2020 12:59 PM

Oh well... it was a good run.
At least they won it all last year.

The worst part is Toronto losing to another Boston team. It's gotten annoying.

The Celtics have a good shot at making the finals, which could add to the already extremely spoiled Boston sports fanbase over the last 20 years.

Denscity Sep 12, 2020 3:44 PM

And now who do you cheer for?
Smart and Kawhi looking good.

yaletown_fella Sep 12, 2020 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9039720)
And now who do you cheer for?
Smart and Kawhi looking good.

A.B.L.A.L (anyone but Los Angeles Lakers. Can't stand their bandwagon fans)

Agreed. As a Raptors fan, Clippers and Boston.

Can't stand Theis but I do respect Smart, reminds me of Lowry.

Id argue Raptors could have won the series had Nick Nurse given Matt Thomas substantial minutes in the first two games. Along with subbing Rondae in for Gasol.

The Celtics won by forcing the Raptors to play a perimeter style game, except Matt Thomas wouldve actually been up to this task. Imagine if everytime Gasol attempted a 3 point shot, or Siakam/Powell missed a layup, they had passed to Thomas at the 3 point line instead.

isaidso Sep 13, 2020 3:54 AM

I guess now I'll follow the Clippers or Nuggets. I still like Kawhi and Denver has Murray.

Denscity Sep 13, 2020 3:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 9040143)
I guess now I'll follow the Clippers or Nuggets. I still like Kawhi and Denver has Murray.

Agreed on both for same reasons.

elly63 Sep 13, 2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9039720)
And now who do you cheer for?.

Scott Morrison - Celtics

rousseau Sep 16, 2020 4:20 AM

Karma bites Kawhi in the keister and the preseason championship favourites get ousted from the WC finals after being up 3-1. The schadenfreude makes up somewhat for the bitterness of the Raps losing to Boston (and the Raps losing Kawhi a year ago--I only hold grudges in sports, nothing else).
e.
I'm a Denver fan now. The Kitchener native Murray is a star, and they're a fun team to watch. Jokic is just an amazing passer. One of the ESPN play-by-play guys said he was already the best passing centre of all time.

It occurred to me tonight that with the bubble the game has been pared down to its bare essence without the fans and the cheerleaders and all the other fanfare nonsense, and I like it. There's a satisfying purity to the experience if you're a true fan of the game, though I can certainly see how fair weather fans might find the experience wanting.

Denscity Oct 3, 2020 3:57 PM

Nice to see Kelly Olynyk from Kamloops BC in the NBA finals.