SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Basketball in Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=219504)

MonctonRad Jan 31, 2016 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 7319732)
Football fields exist in some schools but are usually used for soccer or cricket outside school hours.

Bizarre. All six high schools in Moncton have football fields, two of them with artificial surfaces, expensive scoreboards, and lighting for nighttime games. In addition, there is a dedicated football field at Centennial Park used by the Moncton Minor Football Association, and as a communal football field by several of the high schools (especially for playoffs). It has artificial turf too, as well as a 2,500 seat grandstand. For the provincial football championships, it isn't uncommon to have 4,000 people attending the game.

Is football really that unimportant in Toronto? Just how bad is the disconnect between Toronto and the rest of the country anyway???

theman23 Jan 31, 2016 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7319739)
Bizarre. All six high schools in Moncton have football fields, two of them with artificial surfaces, expensive scoreboards, lighting and bleachers. In addition, there is a dedicated football field at Centennial Park used by the Moncton Minor Football Association, and as a communal football field by several of the high schools (especially for playoffs). It has artificial turf too, as well as a 2,500 seat grandstand. For the provincial football championships, it isn't uncommon to have 4,000 people attending the game.

Is football really that unimportant in Toronto? Just how bad is the disconnect between Toronto and the rest of the country anyway???

To put it bluntly, football is an old stock Canadian sport. My high school was predominantly East Asian, South Asian. We did have quite few white people, but by that age they were setting their sights on hockey/the OHL if they were athletic. The rest were the nerdy type that had no interest in sports. So there weren't too many kids interested in playing football. The catholic school down the street had a football field and team, but our school used our field for soccer.

Bizarrely, we did muster up a lacrosse team.

mistercorporate Jan 31, 2016 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7319739)
Bizarre. All six high schools in Moncton have football fields, two of them with artificial surfaces, expensive scoreboards, and lighting for nighttime games. In addition, there is a dedicated football field at Centennial Park used by the Moncton Minor Football Association, and as a communal football field by several of the high schools (especially for playoffs). It has artificial turf too, as well as a 2,500 seat grandstand. For the provincial football championships, it isn't uncommon to have 4,000 people attending the game.

Is football really that unimportant in Toronto? Just how bad is the disconnect between Toronto and the rest of the country anyway???

I dont think its a Toronto vs rest of the country thing, its an urban rural thing. In Vancouver and Toronto soccer is considerably more popular among youth than gridiron football. I would assume the same for Montreal but dont recall seeing many sports fields in downtown Montreal, i haven't really explored its suburbs. The situation is even more extreme in Vancouver than Toronto, many schools dont even have highschool football programs at all. In the 80's at the height of the NASL's popularity, soccer had around 5 million youth participants (under 24), now its almost 30 million in North America.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 7319738)
Over the air channels sure, if you dont like cable channels based in Toronto. But i take it your local over the air channels dont have what you want either?

Still clueless as to what a network is, I see.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7319739)
Just how bad is the disconnect between Toronto and the rest of the country anyway???

That is the crux of most of these debates. They think that the ROC is just like them

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 7319736)
Theres a reason for that, people would rather watch Toronto based cable networks. Imagine a Regina based network like elly63 fantasizes about, all Rough Riders, high school sports and curling 24-7. Noone wants to see that in this country outside of a few online fanboys. If people dont like Toronto based networks theyre free to start their own, this a democratic capitalistic society, theres any number of western based cable companies such as Telus and Shaw, if there was a demand nationwide it will be served. Crapping on Toronto is a cop out and obstinate denial of a fundamental reality.

Uhh no, historically the first television available across the country were networks based in Montreal and Toronto, which leads to the situation we still have. Those original webs served the country not just Toronto.

The ratings for sports you denigrate like curling and CFL across the country dwarf basketball and the other American college sports we are now being force fed (because of financial reasons). But because they are being exposed they are building an audience that Canadian sports that aren't exposed cannot.

No one has an issue that the networks are Toronto based the issue is that their coverage is becoming uber increasingly Toronto centric.

mistercorporate Jan 31, 2016 6:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319749)
Uhh no, historically the first television available across the country were networks based in Montreal and Toronto, which leads to the situation we still have. Those original webs served the country not just Toronto.

The ratings for sports you denigrate like curling and CFL across the country dwarf basketball and the other American college sports we are now being force fed (because of financial reasons). But because they are being exposed they are building an audience that Canadian sports that aren't exposed cannot.

No one has an issue that the networks are Toronto based the issue is that their coverage is becoming uber increasingly Toronto centric.

They may have started here but as has been repeatedly stated, if theyre so oppressive and offensive then noones stopping other parts of the country from building their own media nodes, clearly theres a market for Toronto tastes across the country and not so much for the type of television content youre cheerleading for in other parts of the country.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 7319753)
They may have started here but as has been repeatedly stated, if theyre so oppressive and offensive then noones stopping other parts of the country from building their own media nodes, clearly theres a market for Toronto tastes across the country and not so much for the type of television content youre cheerleading for in other parts of the country.

If there are markets for what you are suggesting and considering the GTA is the biggest and logically would be catered to, why are NBA and TFC TV ratings so minuscule. They don't even rate well for the GTA let alone the ROC. And yet something like curling gets higher ratings. Oh, I know, NBA and TFC fans don't watch TV because the hicks and hillbillies in the ROC aren't cognizant as to how a handheld devices works.

mistercorporate Jan 31, 2016 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319744)
That is the crux of most of these debates. They think that the ROC is just like them

No they dont, another asinine obstinate comment. The difference between you and others is some of us respect the diversity within Canada and some of you choose to verbally abuse regions just because they dont reflect your existing reality. I accept that Quebec speaks a different language and has different priorities to Southern Ontario, i also dont watch many of their media productions because i dont necessarily relate to them. Yet, i still accept them and dont put them down because theyre different. I couldnt give a rats behind where you live or what you do for fun and i accept your different taste. Where i draw the line and where i start dishing back the insults is when you put down my region and my home because it doesnt fit into your caricature of what Canada should be, just accept were different to wherever youre from, just tune out if it bothers you or do something about it and lobby local cable companies to only put on content you find agreeable, good luck with that.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 7319756)
I couldnt give a rats behind where you live or what you do for fun and i accept your different taste.

Really? Then why the hicks and hillbillies and living in the sticks insults? You say you are educated, why lower yourself to these insults, you were even suspended for doing so.

Acajack Jan 31, 2016 7:09 PM

You can't just start up your own TV sports network in Canada.

Licences for regular or specialized broadcasting in Canada are super-exclusive ''plums" that are almost always given to the established players.

Acajack Jan 31, 2016 7:13 PM

BTW I don't buy the argument that Toronto is really that culturally different from the rest of the country, to the point where gridiron football is now a non-factor there.

The NFL is promoted like gangbusters by both the national and local media in Toronto, and so obviously there is no shortage of people paying attention there.

The Super Bowl is coming up next weekend, and it would be borderline comical to suggest there won't be much interest in the 416.

mistercorporate Jan 31, 2016 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319755)
If there are markets for what you are suggesting and considering the GTA is the biggest and logically would be catered to, why are NBA and TFC TV ratings so minuscule. They don't even rate well for the GTA let alone the ROC. And yet something like curling gets higher ratings. Oh, I know, NBA and TFC fans don't watch TV because the hicks and hillbillies in the ROC aren't cognizant as to how a handheld devices works.

Theyre on tv so clearly theres a market. Look, it doesnt matter for some companies whats on top, sometimes you want to attach yourself to something thats growing in popularity quickly. Large companies generally arent stupid, they put qualified people in charge of deciding what gets coverage based on quantifiable ROI. They did their math and made their choices. We likewise can make our choice to go along with them or choose alternatives. TFC is getting crap tv ratings so its on random tsn channels each time its broadcast. That being said its a profitable product with growing attendance good retail sales of its merchandise and a good demograpic for advertisers. Its popularity will only increase with almost unlimited scope for growth so its very much a solid longterm play. Whoever builds the best relaionship now and gets the most brand association will reap the most rewards in the future. Until then, theyre not losing money on it so nobody cares about alternatives.

mistercorporate Jan 31, 2016 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319757)
Really? Then why the hicks and hillbillies and living in the sticks insults? You say you are educated, why lower yourself to these insults, you were even suspended for doing so.

I was suspended and it was overturned in one day, but granted i shouldnt have bitten the flame bait. Read my full comment, the hicks and hillbillies insults only come out when forumers (almost exclusively from rural areas or a particular region of Canada) make offensive remarks about Toronto or Ontario. Its just giving back as good as we get. I have no regrets about standing up for my home.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 7319776)
TFC is getting crap tv ratings so its on random tsn channels each time its broadcast. That being said its a profitable product with growing attendance good retail sales of its merchandise and a good demograpic for advertisers. Its popularity will only increase with almost unlimited scope for growth so its very much a solid longterm play.

I agree with what you said but it's been what 10 years now for TFC, if this greatly expanded growth hasn't happened yet what is supposed to trigger it.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 7319764)
BTW I don't buy the argument that Toronto is really that culturally different from the rest of the country, to the point where gridiron football is now a non-factor there.

The NFL is promoted like gangbusters by both the national and local media in Toronto, and so obviously there is no shortage of people paying attention there.

The Super Bowl is coming up next weekend, and it would be borderline comical to suggest there won't be much interest in the 416.

Agree, I also think people are influenced by the bubble they live in and friends and colleagues. But the crime is to not acknowledge that other people may have a different experience.

Getting back to basketball, it seems there are some here who grew up with CIAU as their experience, for others it was the Raptors, the only issue is when one denigrates or denies the other.

mistercorporate Jan 31, 2016 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319783)
I agree with what you said but it's been what 10 years now for TFC, if this greatly expanded growth hasn't happened yet what is supposed to trigger it.

What are you talking about, their growth is happening as we speak, from 19000 attendance, next to no revenue and staying in a rickety 19000 seat stadium to getting a 120 million infusion of cash for a 30 thousand seat stadium with luxury suites (make no mistake its TFC that inspired the expansion, it was planned for in early 2014), roof, state of the art sound and light system, several world recognized players and 50 million in revenue (not to mention the 9 figure valuation). All this in 8-9 years, Id say theyre growing just fine! Slowly but steadily the North American soccer culture is growing, one would have to have their heads in the sand not to recognize it.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 7319780)
the hicks and hillbillies insults only come out when forumers (almost exclusively from rural areas or a particular region of Canada) make offensive remarks about Toronto or Ontario.

I don't think you really know where they come from, you assume they are from the west and stereotype them accordingly and frankly I don't know how many are rural and I'm not sure why that even matters.

Acajack Jan 31, 2016 7:45 PM

Another point that I wanted to make in the Toronto vs. the rest of the country cultural debate, is that many of the larger Canadian cities (incl. most CFL cities) are, for lack of a better term, mini-Torontos these days.

Diversity and multiple interests are part of their reality as well now.

And so in Edmonton you have people who love NBA and are indifferent to gridiron football. You have Vancouverites who just like soccer and that's it. You have Ottawans who can't stand the CFL but swear by the NFL.

The mix of percentages may be slightly different but the same factors are at play.

I have one of my kids' class photos in my hand. On the photo there are six black kids, as many Arab kids, and a couple of Latin Americans and two Chinese kids. Out of a class of about 25.

Does anyone actually think that these kids would be wowed by the ''diversity'' while walking down Yonge Street?

And we live in Gatineau. Diversity lives here too.

Berklon Jan 31, 2016 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xelebes (Post 7319715)
And what if we reject your notion of inferiority and just want to watch games that we can relate to? How about you try something completely different and avoid this thread if this notion of inferiority is sacrosanct to you. Just a hint.

No one is stopping you from watching those games.. and the conversation wasn't referring to basketball - so there's no need to avoid this thread. The other guy brought up his hatred towards Toronto/America/NBA through his ramblings of another league - so he should avoid this thread or at least stop discussing his hatred.

Berklon Jan 31, 2016 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 7319721)
I would surmise that few black people in Toronto are African-Americans!

The "American" part of African-American I'm referring to is North/South America.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 7:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 7319798)
No one is stopping you from watching those games.. and the conversation wasn't referring to basketball - so there's no need to avoid this thread. The other guy brought up his hatred towards Toronto/America/NBA through his ramblings of another league - so he should avoid this thread or at least stop discussing his hatred.

If you are referring to me, hatred is not a word I would use, pity is more like it.

Remember Degrassi Junior High (the last good thing to come out of Toronto) :)

Toronto is the Stephanie Kay of cities. Thinks it's king shit but everybody else knows it ain't :)

Acajack Jan 31, 2016 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 7319800)
The "American" part of African-American I'm referring to is North/South America.

OK, but that goes against the universally accepted definition of African-Americans: people of African origin residing in the United States.

Kinda grasping at straws.

It would be like saying Nicolas Sarkozy, Fran├žois Hollande and Zinedine Zidane are French Canadians if they moved to Canada, because they'd be, well, ''French'' and ''Canadian".

Weird logic.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 7319803)
Weird logic.

Yup, digging out of a hole can be difficult.

Berklon Jan 31, 2016 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319674)
I can't post in a Hamilton thread? Didn't you just say people died for my right to free speech? You're confusing me now. :)

You can post in the Hamilton sub-forum... just sad that the only reason you do it is due to your stalking me over to a forum that you never had any interest in. But hey, stalkers gotta stalk.

Berklon Jan 31, 2016 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319802)
Remember Degrassi Junior High (the last good thing to come out of Toronto) :)

Yes, nothing good has come out of Toronto since Degrassi Junior High. :rolleyes:

Yea, no hatred there at all.

Anyway, the Raptors have their own thread - and I no longer want to contribute to the derailing of this thread (apologies to everyone for being sucked into the derailing)... so I'll be off.

Go Raptors Go!

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 7319811)
You can post in the Hamilton sub-forum... just sad that the only reason you do it is due to your stalking me over to a forum that you never had any interest in. But hey, stalkers gotta stalk.

Paranoid now are we? You notice when you don't shit on Canada, and make regular observations like a normal poster, you hear nothing from me (aside from me saying goodbye below). :)

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 7319815)
I no longer want to contribute to the derailing of this thread (apologies to everyone for being sucked into the derailing)... so I'll be off.

Very gracious of you, see you in the Raps thread :)

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 7319811)
You can post in the Hamilton sub-forum... just sad that the only reason you do it is due to your stalking me over to a forum that you never had any interest in.

Really? I thought the reason I posted there was because my cousin was a major player in the building of the stadium. Shooting your hate BS down was just an added bonus.

Ramako Jan 31, 2016 8:21 PM

This thread is a complete dumpster fire.

Acajack Jan 31, 2016 8:22 PM

Out of curiosity, who invited Sting? The Raptors or the NBA?

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramako (Post 7319837)
This thread is a complete dumpster fire.

Don't worry it'll get back on track, they always do. Just a momentary diversion :)

Ramako Jan 31, 2016 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 7319838)
Out of curiosity, who invited Sting? The Raptors or the NBA?

The NBA. Odd choice for a very young and hip-hop oriented fanbase.

Ramako Jan 31, 2016 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319579)
It is, and we're talking about Canadian basketball and not the Raptors which is probably pissing some people off who think basketball in Canada started with the Raptors, so be it.

Though, it is worth noting that the Raptors are seemingly responsible for the sudden explosion of high-end basketball talent coming out of the GTA. The NBA is suddenly full of young Ontarians such as Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Dwight Powell, Kelly Olynyk, Nik Stauskas, Tyler Ennis, Anthony Bennet and soon Jamal Murray... all of whom were born around the time that the franchise was created, and grew up watching Vince Carter.

Ironically this "American" league is responsible for Canada likely becoming a regular medal-winner in international basketball.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramako (Post 7319861)
Though, it is worth noting that the Raptors are seemingly responsible for the sudden explosion of high-end basketball talent coming out of the GTA. The NBA is suddenly full of young Ontarians such as Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Dwight Powell, Kelly Olynyk, Nik Stauskas, Tyler Ennis, Anthony Bennet and soon Jamal Murray... all of whom were born around the time that the franchise was created, and grew up watching Vince Carter.

Ironically this "American" league is responsible for Canada likely becoming a regular medal-winner in international basketball.

Can't argue with the first paragraph and hopefully the second will come to fruition.

But some of the NBA/Rap crowd have a real ignorance about the quality of European and South American basketball that may prevent the latter from happening. Not to downplay the other teams, but we will be playing France and Turkey in the Olympic qualifiers and that should give us a better idea of where we stand.

FrankieFlowerpot Feb 12, 2016 8:13 PM

NY Times article on the NBL

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/14/sp...fans.html?_r=0

esquire Feb 12, 2016 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot (Post 7333931)

Good read about life in the minors!

JHikka Feb 12, 2016 8:41 PM

Shoutout to the NYT writing about the basketball team in my hometown. :tup:

MonctonRad Feb 13, 2016 6:24 PM

Good article.

Definitely not glamorous, but a realistic portrayal of minor league pro basketball in Canada. The situation would be the same in almost every other country in the world too.

Their is only one "show" for basketball in the world and that is the NBA. Every other league is a journeyman league, but that doesn't mean that the quality of the game is bad. The NBL is just under-appreciated.
__________________

elly63 Feb 13, 2016 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7334794)
Good article.

Definitely not glamorous, but a realistic portrayal of minor league pro basketball in Canada. The situation would be the same in almost every other country in the world too.

Their is only one "show" for basketball in the world and that is the NBA. Every other league is a journeyman league, but that doesn't mean that the quality of the game is bad. The NBL is just under-appreciated.

I don't think I'd call some of the European leagues "journeymen leagues" There's lots of clubs in Europe that could give NBA teams more than they could handle.

We are always unduly influenced by money, glitz and glamour. In 1972 the Russians had holes in their socks, poor skates and shoddy equipment. They gave us more than we could handle.

MonctonRad Feb 13, 2016 8:57 PM

:previous:

Perhaps I didn't express myself well.

What I meant is that the NBA gets all the glory, but that there are a lot of "nearly great" basketball players who for whatever reason didn't make the show and ended up playing in minor professional leagues around the world. These players, under slightly different circumstance, could have played in the NBA but missed their chance and unfortunately ended up riding in broken down school busses through snowstorms to get to games rather than jetting around North America and netting eight figure salaries.

We have an NBL team in Moncton, and I find the quality of the product to be very good. I feel sorry for the players because they are playing for starvation wages, but despite this, play their hearts out in front of small but dedicated crowds. They deserve better.

elly63 Feb 13, 2016 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7334929)
What I meant is that the NBA gets all the glory, but that there are a lot of "nearly great" basketball players who for whatever reason didn't make the show and ended up playing in minor professional leagues around the world. These players, under slightly different circumstance, could have played in the NBA but missed their chance and unfortunately ended up riding in broken down school busses through snowstorms to get to games rather than jetting around North America and netting eight figure salaries.

Amen

elly63 Feb 13, 2016 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7334929)
We have an NBL team in Moncton, and I find the quality of the product to be very good. I feel sorry for the players because they are playing for starvation wages, but despite this, play their hearts out in front of small but dedicated crowds. They deserve better.

One reason why my interest in the NHL, MLB and NBA has declined steadily since childhood (I was never interested in the NFL). For me there is no relatability and the ever increasing cult of celebrity is a turn off. There are only so many third rate Muhammad Ali imitators I can take, been there seen that. Style has eclipsed substance and most "fans" are unable to distinguish the difference.

My example of that would be a player (about ten years ago) who was probably the least talented on the Canadian men's soccer team. He was able to secure a trial and make the roster of the highest profile club of any of our players. Did he suddenly become a better player the day he signed the contract and jumped from a third division side to a first? Not likely. The reasons people play in "better" leagues are varied from timing, to team needs, politics, personalities, and injuries. It's not always about talent.

Doug Flutie himself said the quality of CFL player was comparable to the NFL "but for one reason or another the certain player "didn't fit the mould" And an NFL assistant coach whose name I can't recall now said that the last fourteen players making an NFL roster were equivalent to the last fourteen cuts.

JHikka Feb 14, 2016 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7334942)
Doug Flutie himself said the quality of CFL player was comparable to the NFL "but for one reason or another the certain player "didn't fit the mould" And an NFL assistant coach whose name I can't recall now said that the last fourteen players making an NFL roster were equivalent to the last fourteen cuts.

The joke i've always heard is that the guys that ended up in the CFL (from the States) were the guys that couldn't read. That is to say, they couldn't read play formations or game strategies, and thus were cut from NFL camps for that reasoning.

elly63 Feb 14, 2016 4:55 PM

I've been following the CFL a loooooong time and I've never heard that, nor believe it. The "mould" that Flutie was talking about usually refers to big school and big body; of course their are lots of exceptions and as the NFL moves to a type of play more similar to the CFL, you'll see less and less of that.

isaidso Feb 14, 2016 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 7333985)
Shoutout to the NYT writing about the basketball team in my hometown. :tup:

Shout out to the NYT for covering Canada's basketball league. And you know people are true devotees of a sport when they support a league like the NBL. No glamour, no fame, no big money, but it's basketball and that's what matters most.

Acajack Feb 15, 2016 3:30 AM

The NBA All-Star Game did not get much coverage here in Quebec but I did pay attention to the festivities because of all the chatter on SSP. I tuned in to the Toronto news as well just to see what they were saying.

Anyway, one thing I noticed is how the NBA does a masterful job on its All-Star Weekend. They make it into such a big deal. Wow.

They're better then MLB, which I used to think was the best All-Star Game of the major sports leagues. (But I'd still watch the MLB game first cause I like baseball better as a sport.)

GernB Feb 15, 2016 3:38 AM

All Star game is all stuff and nonsense. Getting to be too much like the WWF.

Acajack Feb 15, 2016 3:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GernB (Post 7335861)
All Star game is all stuff and nonsense. Getting to be too much like the WWF.

Not my cup of tea either (though I do like the MLB home run derby and the NHL skills competition), but as a person interested in sports marketing, I can't help but be impressed by the spectacle.

isaidso Feb 15, 2016 11:50 PM

Looks like Tony Parker will play for #5 France in the last ditch Olympic qualifier in the Philippines. Canada is likely not bothered and likes its chances against any one. They have the talent and confidence to win. Rumour has it that even France are worried about getting past Canada.

Canada is grouped with France, Turkey, New Zealand, the Philippines, and Senegal. Only 1 spot is on offer so must win the whole group. Our roster isn't set but we will hopefully get our best players.


DEPTH CHART

Starting 5, Bench 1, Bench 3, Bench 3

C Kelly Olynyk, Dwight Powell, Robert Sacre, Joel Anthony
PF Tristan Thompson, Trey Lyles, Andrew Nicholson, Kyle Wiltjer
SF Andrew Wiggins , Anthony Bennett, Aaron Doornekamp, Melvin Ejim
SG Nik Stauskas, Tyler Ennis, Andy Rautins, Carl English
PG Cory Joseph, Jamal Murray Brady Heslip, Kevin Pangos


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.