SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Basketball in Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=219504)

Acajack Jan 31, 2016 7:09 PM

You can't just start up your own TV sports network in Canada.

Licences for regular or specialized broadcasting in Canada are super-exclusive ''plums" that are almost always given to the established players.

Acajack Jan 31, 2016 7:13 PM

BTW I don't buy the argument that Toronto is really that culturally different from the rest of the country, to the point where gridiron football is now a non-factor there.

The NFL is promoted like gangbusters by both the national and local media in Toronto, and so obviously there is no shortage of people paying attention there.

The Super Bowl is coming up next weekend, and it would be borderline comical to suggest there won't be much interest in the 416.

mistercorporate Jan 31, 2016 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319755)
If there are markets for what you are suggesting and considering the GTA is the biggest and logically would be catered to, why are NBA and TFC TV ratings so minuscule. They don't even rate well for the GTA let alone the ROC. And yet something like curling gets higher ratings. Oh, I know, NBA and TFC fans don't watch TV because the hicks and hillbillies in the ROC aren't cognizant as to how a handheld devices works.

Theyre on tv so clearly theres a market. Look, it doesnt matter for some companies whats on top, sometimes you want to attach yourself to something thats growing in popularity quickly. Large companies generally arent stupid, they put qualified people in charge of deciding what gets coverage based on quantifiable ROI. They did their math and made their choices. We likewise can make our choice to go along with them or choose alternatives. TFC is getting crap tv ratings so its on random tsn channels each time its broadcast. That being said its a profitable product with growing attendance good retail sales of its merchandise and a good demograpic for advertisers. Its popularity will only increase with almost unlimited scope for growth so its very much a solid longterm play. Whoever builds the best relaionship now and gets the most brand association will reap the most rewards in the future. Until then, theyre not losing money on it so nobody cares about alternatives.

mistercorporate Jan 31, 2016 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319757)
Really? Then why the hicks and hillbillies and living in the sticks insults? You say you are educated, why lower yourself to these insults, you were even suspended for doing so.

I was suspended and it was overturned in one day, but granted i shouldnt have bitten the flame bait. Read my full comment, the hicks and hillbillies insults only come out when forumers (almost exclusively from rural areas or a particular region of Canada) make offensive remarks about Toronto or Ontario. Its just giving back as good as we get. I have no regrets about standing up for my home.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 7319776)
TFC is getting crap tv ratings so its on random tsn channels each time its broadcast. That being said its a profitable product with growing attendance good retail sales of its merchandise and a good demograpic for advertisers. Its popularity will only increase with almost unlimited scope for growth so its very much a solid longterm play.

I agree with what you said but it's been what 10 years now for TFC, if this greatly expanded growth hasn't happened yet what is supposed to trigger it.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 7319764)
BTW I don't buy the argument that Toronto is really that culturally different from the rest of the country, to the point where gridiron football is now a non-factor there.

The NFL is promoted like gangbusters by both the national and local media in Toronto, and so obviously there is no shortage of people paying attention there.

The Super Bowl is coming up next weekend, and it would be borderline comical to suggest there won't be much interest in the 416.

Agree, I also think people are influenced by the bubble they live in and friends and colleagues. But the crime is to not acknowledge that other people may have a different experience.

Getting back to basketball, it seems there are some here who grew up with CIAU as their experience, for others it was the Raptors, the only issue is when one denigrates or denies the other.

mistercorporate Jan 31, 2016 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319783)
I agree with what you said but it's been what 10 years now for TFC, if this greatly expanded growth hasn't happened yet what is supposed to trigger it.

What are you talking about, their growth is happening as we speak, from 19000 attendance, next to no revenue and staying in a rickety 19000 seat stadium to getting a 120 million infusion of cash for a 30 thousand seat stadium with luxury suites (make no mistake its TFC that inspired the expansion, it was planned for in early 2014), roof, state of the art sound and light system, several world recognized players and 50 million in revenue (not to mention the 9 figure valuation). All this in 8-9 years, Id say theyre growing just fine! Slowly but steadily the North American soccer culture is growing, one would have to have their heads in the sand not to recognize it.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 7319780)
the hicks and hillbillies insults only come out when forumers (almost exclusively from rural areas or a particular region of Canada) make offensive remarks about Toronto or Ontario.

I don't think you really know where they come from, you assume they are from the west and stereotype them accordingly and frankly I don't know how many are rural and I'm not sure why that even matters.

Acajack Jan 31, 2016 7:45 PM

Another point that I wanted to make in the Toronto vs. the rest of the country cultural debate, is that many of the larger Canadian cities (incl. most CFL cities) are, for lack of a better term, mini-Torontos these days.

Diversity and multiple interests are part of their reality as well now.

And so in Edmonton you have people who love NBA and are indifferent to gridiron football. You have Vancouverites who just like soccer and that's it. You have Ottawans who can't stand the CFL but swear by the NFL.

The mix of percentages may be slightly different but the same factors are at play.

I have one of my kids' class photos in my hand. On the photo there are six black kids, as many Arab kids, and a couple of Latin Americans and two Chinese kids. Out of a class of about 25.

Does anyone actually think that these kids would be wowed by the ''diversity'' while walking down Yonge Street?

And we live in Gatineau. Diversity lives here too.

Berklon Jan 31, 2016 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xelebes (Post 7319715)
And what if we reject your notion of inferiority and just want to watch games that we can relate to? How about you try something completely different and avoid this thread if this notion of inferiority is sacrosanct to you. Just a hint.

No one is stopping you from watching those games.. and the conversation wasn't referring to basketball - so there's no need to avoid this thread. The other guy brought up his hatred towards Toronto/America/NBA through his ramblings of another league - so he should avoid this thread or at least stop discussing his hatred.

Berklon Jan 31, 2016 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 7319721)
I would surmise that few black people in Toronto are African-Americans!

The "American" part of African-American I'm referring to is North/South America.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 7:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 7319798)
No one is stopping you from watching those games.. and the conversation wasn't referring to basketball - so there's no need to avoid this thread. The other guy brought up his hatred towards Toronto/America/NBA through his ramblings of another league - so he should avoid this thread or at least stop discussing his hatred.

If you are referring to me, hatred is not a word I would use, pity is more like it.

Remember Degrassi Junior High (the last good thing to come out of Toronto) :)

Toronto is the Stephanie Kay of cities. Thinks it's king shit but everybody else knows it ain't :)

Acajack Jan 31, 2016 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 7319800)
The "American" part of African-American I'm referring to is North/South America.

OK, but that goes against the universally accepted definition of African-Americans: people of African origin residing in the United States.

Kinda grasping at straws.

It would be like saying Nicolas Sarkozy, Fran├žois Hollande and Zinedine Zidane are French Canadians if they moved to Canada, because they'd be, well, ''French'' and ''Canadian".

Weird logic.

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 7319803)
Weird logic.

Yup, digging out of a hole can be difficult.

Berklon Jan 31, 2016 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319674)
I can't post in a Hamilton thread? Didn't you just say people died for my right to free speech? You're confusing me now. :)

You can post in the Hamilton sub-forum... just sad that the only reason you do it is due to your stalking me over to a forum that you never had any interest in. But hey, stalkers gotta stalk.

Berklon Jan 31, 2016 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7319802)
Remember Degrassi Junior High (the last good thing to come out of Toronto) :)

Yes, nothing good has come out of Toronto since Degrassi Junior High. :rolleyes:

Yea, no hatred there at all.

Anyway, the Raptors have their own thread - and I no longer want to contribute to the derailing of this thread (apologies to everyone for being sucked into the derailing)... so I'll be off.

Go Raptors Go!

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 7319811)
You can post in the Hamilton sub-forum... just sad that the only reason you do it is due to your stalking me over to a forum that you never had any interest in. But hey, stalkers gotta stalk.

Paranoid now are we? You notice when you don't shit on Canada, and make regular observations like a normal poster, you hear nothing from me (aside from me saying goodbye below). :)

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 7319815)
I no longer want to contribute to the derailing of this thread (apologies to everyone for being sucked into the derailing)... so I'll be off.

Very gracious of you, see you in the Raps thread :)

elly63 Jan 31, 2016 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 7319811)
You can post in the Hamilton sub-forum... just sad that the only reason you do it is due to your stalking me over to a forum that you never had any interest in.

Really? I thought the reason I posted there was because my cousin was a major player in the building of the stadium. Shooting your hate BS down was just an added bonus.

Ramako Jan 31, 2016 8:21 PM

This thread is a complete dumpster fire.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.