SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Basketball in Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=219504)

rousseau Jun 8, 2019 6:43 AM

Next factoid:

https://i.imgur.com/q0t2AiY.jpg

I'm actually surprised by a couple of conspicuous absences from this list. No Steph Curry or Kevin Durant? Interesting...

Horus Jun 8, 2019 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 8599154)

The Raptors' defense has been outstanding. If a team like Golden State with a healthy Klay Thompson back in the lineup still only scores 92 points in a finals game, that really tells you something. The Warriors looked defeated in the second half, as if resistance was futile. How many air balls did Curry throw up?

Yeah, the body language on the Warriors in the last few minutes of the game was very telling. They've been beaten down so far in this series and it showed.

I know Matt Devlin and his broadcast partner du jour (either Jack Armstrong or Leo Rautins) are shameless homers, as is their right as the team broadcasters, but they really nailed it in the first half of Game 4 in saying (paraphrased, of course) that although the Raptors played like garbage in most of the first half, they were still hanging with the Warriors. Being down by just 4 at the half despite a very bad offensive performance early in the game had to be a big boost for the team.

The Game 5 atmosphere in Toronto is going to be crazy!

suburbanite Jun 8, 2019 2:29 PM

Great chance to win at home, too bad it's on a Monday the week of my last fucking CFA exam. :help:

A potential Friday or Saturday night win at home would've been insane.

MonctonRad Jun 8, 2019 3:07 PM

I must admit that basketball is the Big Four sport that I pay the least attention to, but I must say that this current iteration of the Raptors seems to be a really talented and balanced team, in which any player can step up and take charge. It's not just Lowrey and Leonard, but Ibaka and Van Vleet and all the rest. I've watched most of the semi final games and all the finals so far. It's been really entertaining and I think it could be easy to fall in love with this club. :tup:

Go Raptors!!! :rock: :philosoraptor:

WhipperSnapper Jun 8, 2019 6:27 PM

I missed the 3rd quarter walking down to a watering hole. Where's a bandwagon when you need one

Dr Awesomesauce Jun 9, 2019 3:02 AM

Hope Raptors' fans are relishing this moment - it's really sneaked up on me.

It's probably the expectation that the Raps are going to win 50+ games a season, win a round or two and lose. It's pretty super that that's become the norm, really.

Fingers crossed for a win at home (a win on the road would do just fine, too!).

Acajack Jun 9, 2019 3:37 PM

More like E.P. Taylor and Harold Ballard who would be proud!

rousseau Jun 9, 2019 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 8599323)
It's been really entertaining and I think it could be easy to fall in love with this club.

It hasn't always been an easy relationship, but right now, yeah, there's a lotta love goin' on with this team. Actually, I'm continually surprised by how amped up the city is. It's like there's no limit to the mania.

Video Link


I keep hearing commentators say they've never seen anything like it, that the best way to describe it is that it's like a "college experience." Others have compared the atmosphere to the World Cup.

The Leafs last won the Cup in 1967. The Jays won the World Series in 1992 and 1993. That's just two championships in the last fifty years. I guess it's not surprising that people are going nuts right now.

rousseau Jun 9, 2019 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8598655)
Four Hours From The Toronto Raptors’ Home, The Cradle Of Basketball Also Resides In Ontario

The cradle of basketball is in Springfield Massachusetts. Not Almonte Ontario.

isaidso Jun 9, 2019 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 8600095)
The cradle of basketball is in Springfield Massachusetts. Not Almonte Ontario.

We'll likely disagree on that point but it's more an accident of history that it happened in Springfield, Mass. Naismith played on numerous McGill University sports teams and then became the school's first Athletics Director. He'd only been outside the country a few months when he invented basketball. It was only by happenstance that it didn't occur a few months earlier at McGill.

Springfield, Massachusetts may technically be the cradle of basketball but in the same way that Beachville, Ontario is the cradle if baseball. Both could easily have happened some place else.

isaidso Jun 9, 2019 8:50 PM

Not that anyone in Canada is paying attention but at 730pm Canada will meet the USA for the gold medal at the FIBA Americas U16 Championships (boys). The FIBA Americas U16 Championships (Girls) kicks off in 6 days. It will likely be another Canada - US final.

Acajack Jun 10, 2019 9:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8600183)
We'll likely disagree on that point but it's more an accident of history that it happened in Springfield, Mass. Naismith played on numerous McGill University sports teams and then became the school's first Athletics Director. He'd only been outside the country a few months when he invented basketball. It was only by happenstance that it didn't occur a few months earlier at McGill.

Springfield, Massachusetts may technically be the cradle of basketball but in the same way that Beachville, Ontario is the cradle if baseball. Both could easily have happened some place else.

A rough equivalent to this would be Scots laying claim to the invention of the telephone

Not sure if they do that.

Bishop2047 Jun 10, 2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8600184)
Not that anyone in Canada is paying attention but at 730pm Canada will meet the USA for the gold medal at the FIBA Americas U16 Championships (boys). The FIBA Americas U16 Championships (Girls) kicks off in 6 days. It will likely be another Canada - US final.

It's not like this is big news in the states either. Canada was never really in the game but to end up with the silver is a great finish. They should be very proud of themselves.

The U17 team that beat the USA a year ago only made news because they had a big name in barrett (and because nothing brings a smile to a Canadians face like beating the States at somthing) normally a lay sports fan wouldn't hear boo about this.

SignalHillHiker Jun 10, 2019 11:08 AM

The morning news and call-in shows here are all mentioning the game. Good luck tonight, TO - I hope ye get it!

MonctonRad Jun 10, 2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8600473)
A rough equivalent to this would be Scots laying claim to the invention of the telephone

Not sure if they do that.

Massachusetts, Ontario, Nova Scotia and Scotland all claim Alexander Graham Bell as a native son it would seem.

He may have invented the telephone in Boston, but the first long distance call was made in Ontario. Other inventions of his came in NS (like the hydrofoil). There is an excellent museum devoted to him in Baddeck NS.

elly63 Jun 10, 2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 8600092)
That's just two championships in the last fifty years.

Unless that was on purpose, or extremely myopic, that was an exceptionally ill informed quote, I think you missed a few.

Berklon Jun 10, 2019 1:56 PM

I think this quote says it best:

Quote:

One more win to go and the parade — for all we have historically joked about finding the route — becomes real in Toronto. The town that normally has pseudo parades for the Argos and Toronto FC and whatever it was they had for the AHL Marlies and the NLL Rock. This isn’t the AHL. This isn’t the CFL. This isn’t MLS. This isn’t the NLL.

This is the big time.
SIMMONS: Kawhi's doing what has never been done before

TorontoDrew Jun 10, 2019 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8597614)
Bold is my original prediction of Toronto in 5 with or without KD.



Sticking to it! :)

suburbanite Jun 10, 2019 2:54 PM

Random stat before the game:

If the Raptors win tonight Kawhi becomes the first player to win finals MVP in both conferences. Kareem Abdul Jabbar did it with the the Bucks and Lakers, but Milwaukee was in the Western Conference at the time.

Also would become the second player after Hakeem Olajuwon to win both Finals MVP and Defensive Player of The Year more than once.

elly63 Jun 10, 2019 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 8600560)
I think this quote says it best:

Quote:
One more win to go and the parade — for all we have historically joked about finding the route — becomes real in Toronto. The town that normally has pseudo parades for the Argos and Toronto FC and whatever it was they had for the AHL Marlies and the NLL Rock. This isn’t the AHL. This isn’t the CFL. This isn’t MLS. This isn’t the NLL.

This is the big time.

What that says best is that it sounds like the teenager too insecure to be seen with his parents. But it is what it is, maybe the Leafs will say the same thing if they ever win.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.