SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

kpexpress Mar 15, 2008 4:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 3408276)
i think you mean the bridge going over harbor drive?

Yes the bridge over harbor drive in front of the new hilton. Anyone have any info on this project?

As for the second part of the my question, will there be a lighting scheme installed at the base of the san diego/coronado bay bridge?

info needed here...

keg92101 Mar 15, 2008 4:41 PM

Major Pour at Hotel Indigo

Looks like we can expect this to start coming out of the ground in the next couple of months. The 1st foundation pour has been going on at Hotel Indigo this morning.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...1/DSC_0001.jpg

This thing should go up pretty quick...

HurricaneHugo Mar 16, 2008 9:18 AM

HurricaneHugo Mar 16, 2008 9:22 AM

This is the only thing I could find on it

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho (Post 3352089)
Port pursues bright idea for bridge

CORONADO – The San Diego-Coronado Bridge soon may be bathed in light after the Port of San Diego approved plans yesterday to pursue an artistic illumination of the majestic structure.

The Port Commission voted for its Public Art Committee to partner with state transportation officials to light the 2.12-mile bridge from underneath.

Commissioner Sylvia Rios interrupted a presentation by Catherine Sass, the port's public art director.

Before the presentation was even finished, Rios wanted to make a motion to authorize the proposal, which also included a $50,000 design budget. The vote was unanimous.

Gaidi Finnie, a member of the art committee, said he was surprised but gratified at the swift decision. Finnie said the project has received widespread support from a number of local, state, military and federal officials.

“I feel I was pushing for this for so long,” Finnie said. “I was relentless. It is such a great project.”

Public opinion on both sides of the bridge appears to favor the project. Maria Lemus of Barrio Logan, whose Evans Street home of 20 years has a view of the bridge, said yesterday she had never heard of the idea but liked it.

“It looks beautiful right now,” Lemus said. “I think it would look very nice with lights.”

Bill Speer, who lives on Glorietta Bay Boulevard in Coronado, said he and his wife, Marsi Steirer, are supporters of the bridge lighting.

“We wouldn't have been if it had been proposed with standard lighting,” said Speer, whose 28 solar roof panels help him offset half his electric costs. “I think it's a great idea to the extent that they use energy-efficient lighting.”

Robert Mosher, architect of the San Diego-Coronado Bridge, attended the meeting prepared to speak in favor of the project.

“It could be a real nighttime asset,” said Mosher, adding that he would love to see the “graceful pylons” under the bridge illuminated.

Finnie said he is not sure what to expect from artists, but it may look nothing like a rendering created by a local architect for his presentations. The rendering shows the bridge bathed in blue light.

Built with 20,000 tons of steel and 94,000 cubic yards of concrete, the bridge opened Aug. 3, 1969. Many have marveled at the dramatic curve of the bridge, which spans the San Diego Bay.

Finnie said two recent examples of bridge lighting are the Sundial Bridge in Redding and the Vincent Thomas Bridge at the Port of Los Angeles. The Sundial Bridge is lighted at night by 210 lights. The Vincent Thomas Bridge uses cost-efficient light-emitting diodes, or LEDs, and a solar photovoltaic system.

Sass said the district hopes to secure arts or lighting grants as the main source of funding for the installation, maintenance and electrical costs.

Finnie said the committee's first step is to seek artist proposals for the lighting plan, which they emphasized must be energy efficient.

“The intent is to get as efficient a design as possible, where cost is not the deciding factor whether to do it or not,” Sass said.

The art committee next will prepare guidelines for the lighting project. Committee members will begin contacting artists for proposals. They will narrow the list to a few artists, who then will be paid about $15,000 each to create models.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...ene_5large.jpg

SDDTProspector Mar 16, 2008 5:26 PM

cosmo square is still a go....... but not for 6 months.. it will be a parking lot for this summer, but should see some action this fall...

The giant Grigio Is also it going to get a roof top club, I can't think of the clubs name in LA , something like the "Orient" (think of the standard in LA). anyways my friends are stoked because the "orient?" is a great club

Derek Mar 16, 2008 5:48 PM

Where did you find that information?

SDCAL Mar 16, 2008 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDDTProspector (Post 3419682)
cosmo square is still a go....... but not for 6 months.. it will be a parking lot for this summer, but should see some action this fall...

The giant Grigio Is also it going to get a roof top club, I can't think of the clubs name in LA , something like the "Orient" (think of the standard in LA). anyways my friends are stoked because the "orient?" is a great club

thanks for the info and hope you are correct, woul dlove to see Cosmo get off the ground

where did you get the info?? some people on here are saying it is definately dead, but nobody ever spills the sources so it's hard to tell if people have tangible information from reliable sources they are trying to keep discreet, or if they are just stating their opinions :(

SDDTProspector Mar 16, 2008 7:03 PM

my sources......

I have 2 buddies that work in the construction business....

One for Morley builders, does work in LA, orange county and SD

http://www.morleybuilders.com/

The other for Oliver Mcmillian

http://www.olivermcmillan.com

Its not like they divulge any secrets or anything... They just talk about some of their bids that they are making....

In general, they are both saying that most developments are NOT being cancelled, just postponed for 3 to 5 years.... Alot of "rights" on pre-approved proposals are being sold among investors...

on a side note, the BallPark village is a two five hundred foot tower complex still (mixed use, about 80% hotel space) and is moving fast.... construction bids have gone out and every construction company in southern Calf, wants it... It Going to be HUGE and will dramatically change the SD skyline!!!!!!

I know about Comso, because Morley is going to use the cosmo lot to store some equipment over the summer... but could only sign a 6 month lease because.... Doug manchester wants to develop on it begining this fall... Is that enough evidence??

Derek Mar 16, 2008 9:01 PM

Sounds like some good stuff. Keep us posted! :tup:

PadreHomer Mar 16, 2008 10:45 PM

Will this city ever let Doug Manchester build anything ever again? ;)

bmfarley Mar 16, 2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDDTProspector (Post 3419831)
I have 2 buddies that work in the construction business....

One for Morley builders, does work in LA, orange county and SD

http://www.morleybuilders.com/

The other for Oliver Mcmillian

http://www.olivermcmillan.com

Its not like they divulge any secrets or anything... They just talk about some of their bids that they are making....

In general, they are both saying that most developments are NOT being cancelled, just postponed for 3 to 5 years.... Alot of "rights" on pre-approved proposals are being sold among investors...

on a side note, the BallPark village is a two five hundred foot tower complex still (mixed use, about 80% hotel space) and is moving fast.... construction bids have gone out and every construction company in southern Calf, wants it... It Going to be HUGE and will dramatically change the SD skyline!!!!!!

I know about Comso, because Morley is going to use the cosmo lot to store some equipment over the summer... but could only sign a 6 month lease because.... Doug manchester wants to develop on it begining this fall... Is that enough evidence??

This stuff sounds like it has credence.

I don't want to sound like a cynic, but I doubt many projects ever just get cancelled. Outside of new issues that may arise with a project proposal; like unforeseen city criteria, competing developments, financials that just have fallen apart, etc... I'd speculate that the standard line is that a project is postponed is quite normal. And they end up sitting and sitting and then they are eventually all forgotten about.

The internet and sites like this help keep those proposal in our consciousnes.

kpexpress Mar 17, 2008 5:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadreHomer (Post 3420154)
Will this city ever let Doug Manchester build anything ever again? ;)

What did Doug Manchester do that was so offensive that the city would ban him from further develoment?

All I know of him is the huge flag office building and the manchester...not been here in SD for too long, can someone fill me in?

Derek Mar 17, 2008 6:14 AM

I don't get it either. :P

sandiegodweller Mar 17, 2008 1:59 PM

Quote:

No offense but bids are not a great indicator of activity. I look at projects all of the time with consultants (land planners, civil engineers, grading contractors, etc.). Most times, they whip out a land plan or "take off" that they did for the site years ago for someone else. Most developers continually rebid jobs to make sure that the budget is up to date.

My skepticism arises from the evidence that there will be ZERO demand for new hotel rooms on this side of town after the new Hilton, Indigo and Marriott Residence Inn are complete. Setai/Diegan will also be adding a few hundred rooms in the next few months.

From http://www.sandiego.com/option,com_s...-ee64927e8447/

"Increased Supply

Almost 2,000 new rooms will enter the market in late 2007 and on through mid- 2008. These include the opening of the Hard Rock Hotel with 393 rooms, The Diegan in March 2008, 185 rooms, the Homewood Suites, which opened in September of 2007, and the Courtyard by Marriott, 200 and 150 rooms respectively at Liberty Station/Point Loma, the Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Del Mar with 80 rooms in February, The Grand Del Mar Resort & Spa, 261 rooms, the Sheraton Grande in Carlsbad, 250 rooms, the Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites, both set to open in Carlsbad in January, 2008 with 94 and 145 rooms respectively, and the Hampton Inn & Suites in Poway with 111 rooms in March of this year.

The 1,869 rooms flooding the market represent only half of the planned room additions to San Diego. Perhaps the most significant of these additions is the expansion of the SD Hilton Convention Center. This 1190 room property will open in late 2008. This three percent increase in supply will cause occupancy rates to drop by two full percentage points unless major demand increases occur."

On top of that, there is negative demand for new condos in East Village for at least 3-5 years.

Doug Manchester is buried in litigation on Navy Broadway Complex. He is also heavily involved in Lane Field. I don't see his creditors and financial backers allowing him to pry his attention away from those two megaprojects to develop a small competing site across town.

SDCAL Mar 17, 2008 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 3421308)
No offense but bids are not a great indicator of activity. I look at projects all of the time with consultants (land planners, civil engineers, grading contractors, etc.). Most times, they whip out a land plan or "take off" that they did for the site years ago for someone else. Most developers continually rebid jobs to make sure that the budget is up to date.

My skepticism arises from the evidence that there will be ZERO demand for new hotel rooms on this side of town after the new Hilton, Indigo and Marriott Residence Inn are complete. Setai/Diegan will also be adding a few hundred rooms in the next few months.

"Increased Supply

Almost 2,000 new rooms will enter the market in late 2007 and on through mid- 2008. These include the opening of the Hard Rock Hotel with 393 rooms, The Diegan in March 2008, 185 rooms, the Homewood Suites, which opened in September of 2007, and the Courtyard by Marriott, 200 and 150 rooms respectively at Liberty Station/Point Loma, the Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Del Mar with 80 rooms in February, The Grand Del Mar Resort & Spa, 261 rooms, the Sheraton Grande in Carlsbad, 250 rooms, the Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites, both set to open in Carlsbad in January, 2008 with 94 and 145 rooms respectively, and the Hampton Inn & Suites in Poway with 111 rooms in March of this year.

The 1,869 rooms flooding the market represent only half of the planned room additions to San Diego. Perhaps the most significant of these additions is the expansion of the SD Hilton Convention Center. This 1190 room property will open in late 2008. This three percent increase in supply will cause occupancy rates to drop by two full percentage points unless major demand increases occur."

On top of that, there is negative demand for new condos in East Village for at least 3-5 years.

Doug Manchester is buried in litigation on Navy Broadway Complex. He is also heavily involved in Lane Field. I don't see his creditors and financial backers allowing him to pry his attention away from those two megaprojects to develop a small competing site across town.

I agree with you that things are not good right now and that people in the development biz like to paint a rosier and more optimistic picture than the facts show, but some of your thoughts seem to be overly-pessimistic in the way others are overly-optimistic.

For example the statement above - the one thing I have learned from living downtown and having owned real-estate in San Diego is that any speculation - positive or negative - beyond 1 year is a craps shoot. How can you say for certain 2009 won't see the housing/condo market begin rebounding? Where is this "at least 3-5 year" figure coming from??

Also, I don't think developers would start new hotels if the market research didn't indicate there is a market for them. Don't they take into consideration new hotels like Hilton, Setai, etc when they do their market research

SDCAL Mar 17, 2008 4:56 PM

another thought on hotels

Has anyone heard of plans to expand the convention center?

That could drive-up the need for hotels

SDCAL Mar 17, 2008 5:00 PM

Manchester

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 3420997)
What did Doug Manchester do that was so offensive that the city would ban him from further develoment?

All I know of him is the huge flag office building and the manchester...not been here in SD for too long, can someone fill me in?

Alot of people are tired of the same big developers getting special treatment and monopolies from local government when it comes to deveoping in San Diego

Manchester is the poster-child for this. He is very "political" and is known for making back-room deals with local officials and being very chummy with government officials who directly affect his business and make decisions on who will be awarded development contracts, what environmental requirements are necessary, etc., and he was bailed out using tax-payer dollars when his company declared bankrupcy

I think alot of people just want to see "new blood" in the big development world

SDCAL Mar 17, 2008 5:03 PM

Quote:

Is that enough evidence??

It is :) :) Thank you for the insight!!

sandiegodweller Mar 17, 2008 5:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3421659)
Also, I don't think developers would start new hotels if the market research didn't indicate there is a market for them. Don't they take into consideration new hotels like Hilton, Setai, etc when they do their market research

I am not as naive anymore. I know that Developers get paid to develop and Market Researchers get paid by developers to produce positive reports. Haven't the last 2 years (and the collapse of the financial markets) proven this by now? What market research was Countrywide, WAMU, Corus Bank, et. al using for the past 3 years when they were still lending on unattainable prices?

Intuition should tell most people that the thousands of unsold units in The Mark, Electra, Alta, Vantage Pointe, Bayside, Saphire, and the rest probably indicate a market slump. Add the 600+ units on MLS (12 months worth of resale) and I would say that there will be an abundance of units for at least 5years. That could change if prices are cut in half but that would be a bigger problem.

"MARKET RESEARCH" (Jim Cramer) was telling everyone to not sell Bear Stearns stock last week (it was still worth $3.5 billion on Friday). Guess what it is worth 72 hours later? Less than $500 million. Do you know where the MARKET RESEARCHERS get their information? See a classic example below:

Bear Stearns: 'Absolutely No Truth' In Liquidity Rumors

March 10, 2008: 05:28 PM EST

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Bear Stearns Cos. (BSC) backed its liquidity position, issuing a statement declaring "there is absolutely no truth to the rumors" that circulated earlier Monday.

President and Chief Executive Alan Schwartz said in the statement, "Bear Stearns' balance sheet, liquidity and capital remain strong."

Shares of Bear Stearns closed down $7.78, or 11%, at $62.30 on more than four times average daily trading volume of 7.31 million shares. Shares were up 42 cents at $62.72 in recent after-hours trading.

The company is due to release its first-quarter earnings results on March 20."

JP Morgan announced over the weekend that it is buying the entire company in a stock swap for somewhere in the $2 to $5 range. I guess the MARKET RESEARCHERS didn't see a 60+ point potential drop in 7 days.

bmfarley Mar 18, 2008 3:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 3421308)

"Increased Supply

To be fare, any hotels north of I-8 might as well be in Canada. Rooms that far away have little bearing on downtown, imo.