SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

mello Jun 16, 2007 6:29 AM

Yeah I agree eburress, it is a shame to see these gorgeous towers that other cities are getting and we are stuck with "The Legend" ha my ass, and Vantage Pointe type of schlock architecture :yuck:

We need something bold and striking in out skyline, something to refresh it. Say that building right there -- Museum Tower in Dallas-- built at say 650ft. would be a really nice signature tower in our skyline if it were built at 7th and Market.

That location is FAR away from the flight path and would be a great spot to put a stunning 650 to 700 foot signature tower in SD's skyline to give it a focal point which it so desperately needs.

Example look at how much better Brisbanes skyline is now that it has two 700 foot plus towers sticking out of its dense cluster of 500 footers....

HurricaneHugo Jun 16, 2007 10:44 AM

for a second there i thought that was proposed here....

...then my dreams were horribly crushed =(

spoonman Jun 16, 2007 3:48 PM

That tower seems like Cosmo's style mixed with Electra's height...I love it:tup:

PS: That area around that tower makes me feel less bad about Pantoja Park and it's low-rise neighborhood

eburress Jun 16, 2007 4:03 PM

^^ Oh sorry - I didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up! :)

Speaking of towers in Texas, I just got back from a trip to Dallas and Austin, and both cities have a number of really spectacular 500ft+ buildings going up. I'm excited for them but it makes me very sad that the same thing will never happen in San Diego.

eburress Jun 16, 2007 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 2900777)
That tower seems like Cosmo's style mixed with Electra's height...I love it:tup:

PS: That area around that tower makes me feel less bad about Pantoja Park and it's low-rise neighborhood

That park in the foreground is a perfect example of something that would be great for San Diego. It is going to be built over a sunken portion of Woodall Rogers freeway.

Edit -> Museum Tower will be 560ft, so it's actually a little taller than Electra's height.

mello Jun 16, 2007 8:30 PM

For those who were familiar with the old Brisbane Skyline (Pre 2005)

I just wanted to post this shot because I think it pertains to our
discussion of San Diego "breaking through" the 500 foot barrier.
Up until 2005 Brisbane's skyline was quite similar to ours, it had
good density but no towers taller then 550 feet. Now here it is with
a 620 footer and a 750 footer.

I think Brisbane is also a good skyline to compare to San Diego because
of the similar massing and bulk of skyline plus many residential towers
are prominent in this city just like ours. A good percentage of their high
rises are residential compared to many cities that are mostly office.
So take a look: scroll >>>>> Sorry I didn't think it would post so big!

http://content.answers.com/main/cont...ast15Oct06.JPG:cheers:

I'll try to resize ;)

eburress Jun 16, 2007 9:25 PM

^^ That is a very nice skyline and those new towers certainly add to its appeal. Obviously some strategically-placed skyscrapers in downtown SD would do a lot for our skyline, but like I said before though, it's too bad it will never happen.

HurricaneHugo Jun 17, 2007 5:10 AM

ours is still better

mello Jun 17, 2007 6:12 AM

^^^ I know you and I have been around the forums for quite some time so you probably are familiar with the Brisbane skyline and seen it from different angles. I for one have checked it out a lot (along with all the cities in OZ) because I was thinking about moving to that country.

So if you honestly think our skyline is better then I am surprised but of course respect your opinion. That pic isn't the best Brisbane angle and surely isn't a "glamour shot" really showing off the skyline, I just used it to show the bulk and massing of the city.

SDCAL Jun 17, 2007 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2901288)
^^ That is a very nice skyline and those new towers certainly add to its appeal. Obviously some strategically-placed skyscrapers in downtown SD would do a lot for our skyline, but like I said before though, it's too bad it will never happen.

It will happen, it just won't be anytime soon. Maybe by 2030 or something when other cities are building structures we can't even imagine right now, SD will allow things to go up to 600 ft, yippie

Derek Jun 17, 2007 5:27 PM

I say by atleast 2020.

eburress Jun 17, 2007 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 2902478)
It will happen, it just won't be anytime soon. Maybe by 2030 or something when other cities are building structures we can't even imagine right now, SD will allow things to go up to 600 ft, yippie

hahaha...how depressingly optimistic! In 20 years we'll have buildings that are slightly taller than the ones we have now. Yayyyy!

spoonman Jun 18, 2007 7:24 PM

I posted some info about La Jolla Commons under the projects & construction heading. As many of you know, there are others under Vantage Point, Electra, etc. If you have anything to contribute to those, be my guest as it would be nice to "dust them off"

Derek Jun 18, 2007 7:44 PM

Speaking of NBC, does anybody have any proposed start dates? Or are the drawings still not up to par?

SDCAL Jun 18, 2007 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2904527)
Speaking of NBC, does anybody have any proposed start dates? Or are the drawings still not up to par?

It may be held up in legal issues. I found this article from the 15th of june:

SAN DIEGO -- A proposed waterfront development on San Diego Bay has generated complaints, lawsuits and concerns about public safety.

The 10News Investigation team heard these complaints and began researching and talking to experts over the past six months. We were spurred on when we learned that the ground underneath the Broadway Navy Complex is similar in some ways to the ground under the Marina District in San Francisco. That area was devastated during the 1989 earthquake.

This report will be considered controversial but there is no controversy when it comes to the extent of damage that can occur when a earthquake hits hard.

"The ground moves 5, 10, 20 feet pulling buildings apart," said Professor Scott Ashford of UCSD School of Engineering.

Some fear the same could happen in San Diego along the downtown waterfront if developers are allowed to build the high rise Navy Broadway Complex.

There are claims that an active earthquake fault may be right under the proposed waterfront project being proposed by developer Doug Manchester.

Here is what we found:

The recently discovered Coronado Fault was active as recently as 500 years ago. It runs under Coronado and San Diego Bay and comes ashore in San Diego near Seaport Village, just south of the proposed complex. Any fault that has had movement in the past 10,000 years is considered an active fault. This Coronado Fault clearly qualifies as active.

"You want to know where it is, what it's capable of and how often it will generate earthquakes that will be a problem to your structure," said Ashford.

A map created in 1859 shows the bay before it was dredged and widened.

More importantly to the 10News investigation, it shows the areas where fill was used to eventually create San Diego's waterfront. Like in San Francisco's Marine District, that fill can cause trouble.

The trouble is liquefaction, which turns the ground into quicksand and can rip foundations wide open.

Geocon are the seismic consultants hired by project developer Manchester. In the Geocon study, it says there geologists "Did not find signs of faulting at the site. It is suitable for the proposed development."

As part of the investigation, 10News had an independent geologist, Dr. Jeffrey Johnson, review the Geocon study.

His 10 page report for the 10News investigation team raises serious issues.

Read Assessment Part I and Assessment Part II.

Read Manchester's response to the seismic concerns.

Johnson said the geology study done for Manchester did not analyze enough data.

Geologist Michael Kennedy said he is also concerned.

Kennedy mapped and named the Coronado fault as part of a Caltrans safety study on the Coronado Bridge in 2001.

Kennedy told 10News "public safety makes it imperative that the exact location of these youthful faults be mapped onshore prior to any development."

Dr. Jeff Babcock at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography is mapping the Coronado fault with 3D technology.

Babcock has not plotted the fault on land yet, but he said he is sure it runs north, under the navy's project and probably where the Port Commission intends to build its new development, as well.

"I would be hard pressed to determine if it's capable of a magnitude seven like the Rose Canyon fault, but we don't know," said Babcock.

10News took these concerns and the geology report to Manchester and the Port Commission, since they're also building in the same area but we have received no responses to our request for an interview. We have offered them copies of the study the 10News I team developed with Dr. Johnson, but no responses yet.

10News then went to the mayor's office. While the mayor was unavailable to talk with us, we did speak to his public information officer.

"It's our understanding Manchester has done a preliminary study, and the navy is satisfied. They've had buildings there for close to 100 years," said mayor's spokesperson Fred Sainz.

Maybe, maybe not. An officer from the US Navy accompanied the 10News Investigative team when we reviewed the 3D maps being developed by Dr. Babcock.

Manchester's attorney sent a letter to the California Coastal Commission, saying Manchester is withdrawing his application for a permit, saying the law doesn't require one for the project.

SDCAL Jun 18, 2007 8:17 PM

^^^in addition to the earthquake controversy, i have heard there are some lawsuits being brought against the nbc proposal for unrelated reasons. i'll try to find the details............

SDCAL Jun 18, 2007 8:23 PM

Library

anyone know anything about the library??? On the city's website if you go to the library section they act as though it's still going to be built. They sy completion date of '2009" and on the latest minutes from their meetings they said the proposal was sent to the State Library Commission in the last couple of months
They also make reference to some bond measure in the state senate that would allocate $1 billion in library grants, however if you read the fine points they only pay up to $30 million to a single project if it passes. The last I heard the libraries cost would be over $200 million and they only hve $80 million of it so far, $30 million more wouldn't cut it.

Just one other barren lot sitting in East Village with no action :slob: :yuck:

Derek Jun 18, 2007 11:23 PM

That earthquake shit is crap. (teehee)

The Marina district in San Francisco was so devasted because it sat on landfill, land dug up from bay excavations or something like that. That definitely is not the case in San Diego. San Diego isn't even located remotely close to a major fault. Besides, there are strict building regulations in place in the state of California to make buildings as earthquake proof as possible. I think they are built on special rollers or something, so the building sways with the ground, kind of like how bridges sway in the wind. I know they have to be able to withstand an earthquake of a 7.0 magnitude (think of the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco, it was built to withstand earthquakes stronger than 7.0 and swayed one foot back and forth for one minute in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, with a magnitude of 7.1, and suffered absolutely no architectural damage). San Diego will never get hit with an earthquake stronger than a 7.0.

As for the library, I really hope this eventually goes through. Downtown and all of the surrounding neighborhoods are in dire need of a new library. Downtown's current library sucks ass and is a hangout spot for homeless at night (and it smells like piss). This new library would serve thousands of people and is state of the art, providing resources that not everybody has in the neighborhoods on the outskirts of downtown.

Derek Jun 18, 2007 11:26 PM

Oh, does anybody have any Lane Field news as well?

HurricaneHugo Jun 19, 2007 12:26 AM

Does anybody have any news at all!