SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

CaliNative Jul 10, 2022 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 9668309)
The Prado in Balboa Park with its Spanish Revival masterpieces are world renowned. Petco Park is often considered one of the finest architectural sports facilities, the new Library downtown rocks; you can't forget the Hotel Coronado. We have our share of good architecture; I do agree a waterfront masterpiece would be a huge benefit for the city.

Speaking of waterfront masterpieces, I was wandering around downtown last week during a concert at the new Rady Shell at Jacob's Park. Boy did we hit a homer with this, it is a beautiful facility and all the pedestrian traffic around made the area feel like the Prado in Balboa Park on a weekend afternoon.

I do agree that the Hotel Del Coronado is a masterpiece. Not in San Diego city limits though, but a masterpiece for the metro area. Ballpark is one of the top 5 or 10 in nation, A near masterpiece. OK, A masterpiece. Prado is wonderful Spanish colonial revival public space. The tower is a regional landmark. So good we kept what was supposed to be a temporary facility for the international exposition(s) around for over 100 years. A great success. The library, very good. Perhaps a masterpiece. I haven't been to the Rady Shell for concerts, but from what I have seen it looks like a home run. So, I agree.

HurricaneHugo Jul 13, 2022 5:26 AM

Developer pulls out of California Theater redevelopment:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...mbo-for-longer

Sigh.

JSW Jul 13, 2022 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 9674616)
Developer pulls out of California Theater redevelopment:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...mbo-for-longer

Sigh.

Nooooooo... I wonder if the fact that it was planned for condos instead of apartments had anything to do with it?

I had a bad feeling seeing no sign of activity whatsoever for so long. This site has such a desperate need to be developed to get the C street revival going. And as someone who lives a couple blocks away, it would be a pretty nice plot to live on. It's in a "valley" for views so you'd see all the way south to the water with nothing much blocking north views either. It's kind of like an island for visibility so the roof would be incredible here as well. And because you're not directly on 5th or 6th it feels relatively quiet.

However, if we actually get the crazy city hall transit hub and development there, we will still get a big needed boost in that same area.

mello Jul 15, 2022 6:20 PM

Bummer about CA Theatre
 
What can we learn from this cancelation of project: That only major developers with track records of highrise construction break ground in SD. Pinnacle, Lennar, Toll Bros, BOSA, etc. These random LLC's that were proposing this project and others like the one near city college that has been fenced off for years are all hype and tease us with nice renderings... Only the big boys get things down. So we can assume that any proposals from little guys are just that :(

Urbannizer Jul 15, 2022 6:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 9674616)
Developer pulls out of California Theater redevelopment:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...mbo-for-longer

Sigh.

Caydon seemed very serious about building in the U.S but only one of their projects here materialized.

SDCAL Jul 16, 2022 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 9677276)
What can we learn from this cancelation of project: That only major developers with track records of highrise construction break ground in SD. Pinnacle, Lennar, Toll Bros, BOSA, etc. These random LLC's that were proposing this project and others like the one near city college that has been fenced off for years are all hype and tease us with nice renderings... Only the big boys get things down. So we can assume that any proposals from little guys are just that :(

I’m starting to wonder if CA theater and park/market (supposed ritz Carlton) will see anything developed before 2030.

SamFlood Jul 17, 2022 7:28 PM

Airport construction

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...ec146978_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...93febf5b_b.jpg

Ash st

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b98e7113_b.jpg

Broadway and 8th

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9a2085c0_b.jpg

11th at street level now
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f388e142_b.jpg

Gaslamp AC hotel
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...780f1b64_b.jpg

Radd

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f5bc06ef_b.jpg

mello Jul 18, 2022 8:36 PM

SDSU MV Expansion
 
From my view in Normal Heights I can report no housing or buildings for the research campus will be UC anytime super soon. They are putting in 40 acres of temporary surface parking lots right now in the middle of the site. Obviously the stadium is done and looks nice. Anyone have any idea when the important stuff is going to get underway?

12miles Jul 19, 2022 5:15 AM

Hello, been lurking on this forum for the past few years but first time posting. 21 y/o and dont know much about building codes/technical stuff but do find urban planning/infastructure in cities (especially san diego) interesting.

Photos were taken today. The first photo is the 11th & B towers project, looks like one is up and other one is on its way. Im not sure which project the second one is. I also saw the Courthouse Commons building being constructed and is around 50 ft high approx ATM but I wasnt able to get a photo.

https://imgur.com/xZy5ocr
https://imgur.com/PGPJj3x

colemonkee Jul 19, 2022 2:38 PM

Welcome to the forum, 12miles, and great first post! Pictures are always appreciated.

homebucket Jul 19, 2022 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12miles (Post 9679637)
Hello, been lurking on this forum for the past few years but first time posting. 21 y/o and dont know much about building codes/technical stuff but do find urban planning/infastructure in cities (especially san diego) interesting.

Photos were taken today. The first photo is the 11th & B towers project, looks like one is up and other one is on its way. Im not sure which project the second one is. I also saw the Courthouse Commons building being constructed and is around 50 ft high approx ATM but I wasnt able to get a photo.

https://imgur.com/xZy5ocr
https://imgur.com/PGPJj3x

Welcome! :cheers:

HurricaneHugo Jul 20, 2022 7:38 AM

One of us! One of us!

New renderings of the Seaport Redevelopment Project:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...b-mega-project

Streamliner Jul 20, 2022 3:49 PM

For the Seaport Village project, they are taking public input on the project for both in-person and via voicemail or email. The meeting is tomorrow so if you support the development and/or have critiques, this is one of the best time to provide comments. As someone involved in planning, these kinds of public comments actually hold quite a bit of sway. If they "feel" that the public thinks a project is too big or too tall, it definitely can scare them into scaling down a project to appease the supposed masses.

Quote:

PROVIDING PUBLIC COMMENT
Public comment is limited to 3 minutes per speaker on both agenda, and non-agenda items. The time allotted for speakers may be adjusted by the Board Chair at his or her discretion.

PUBLIC COMMENT IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS MEETING BY DOING ONE OF THE FOLLOWING NO LATER THAN THE TIM THE PUBLIC COMMENT PORTION FOR THE AGENDA ITEM IS CONCLUDED, HOWEVER THE PUBLIC IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO DO SO PRIOR TO THE ITEM BEING CALLED

In-Person Participation: Complete and submit a Speaker Slip and give to the District Clerk

Remote Participation:

1. Call 619-736-2155 and leave a brief voicemail message that will be played during the meeting. A voicemail longer than the time allotted for public comment on that item will be stopped after that time has elapsed.

2. Email a request to provide live comment to PublicRecords@portofsandiego.org to receive a link to participate in the meeting to provide live comments. *

3. Submit written comments to PublicRecords@portofsandiego.org which will be forwarded to the Board and included in the agenda-related materials record for the meeting.
https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...022-view-1.jpg

HurricaneHugo Jul 21, 2022 3:17 AM

Looks like they got rid of the private cabanas on the edge of the water, good.

That was my only real concern

negentropic behavior Jul 22, 2022 5:00 PM

Is anyone else bothered by the scale of the hotels in the Seaport Village Redevelopment? Why build an observation tower then block it off on one side with a 30+ story hotel?

Another issue I have with the proposal is the disregard for Ruocco Park. They are attempting to "move" it to Marina Park but that makes no sense at all. I wish they would just let Ruocco Park stay where it is so it can be the front of the aquarium, and have the aquarium at the base of the observation tower.

Also-- there is too much yacht parking lol

mello Jul 22, 2022 8:10 PM

Did anyone else notice the recent UT article talking about a slowdown in hotel construction in CA? It listed the Gaylord Pacific 1600 room hotel at CV Marina as being UC. When you went down the list it did not show the two hotels at RADD Labs/Manchester as being UC.... Kind of weird there are tons of cranes up and digging equipment on the North end of that site where the two hotels are going. Anyone have info on this?

roletand Jul 23, 2022 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 9683434)
Did anyone else notice the recent UT article talking about a slowdown in hotel construction in CA? It listed the Gaylord Pacific 1600 room hotel at CV Marina as being UC. When you went down the list it did not show the two hotels at RADD Labs/Manchester as being UC.... Kind of weird there are tons of cranes up and digging equipment on the North end of that site where the two hotels are going. Anyone have info on this?

I think there's some understandable confusion over the redevelopment of the Navy Broadway Complex due to the change in plans and ownership over the past few years. Technically, there are zero hotels being built by IQHQ at the RaDD.

Of the 8 blocks that make up the old Navy Broadway Complex, 1 was reserved for the new Navy building and 1 was reserved for a public park. The 6 blocks that remained were to be developed by Manchester Financial into 3 blocks of office buildings and 3 blocks of hotels. That plan changed when Manchester Financial decided to sell 5 of the 6 remaining blocks to IQHQ in 2020.

The remaining construction projects are two separate developments now. The 5 blocks developed by IQHQ + the public park are under active construction and are 100% retail & office/lab development. The 1 block developed by Manchester Financial, on the corner of Broadway & Pacific Hwy, is still planned to be a hotel however no construction appears to be underway on that block.

Block 1A - Public Park, IQHQ, https://iqhqreit.com/project/radd/
Block 1B - One Broadway Hotel, Manchester Pacific Gateway, Manchester Financial, Broadway & Pacific Hwy, https://www.manchesterpacificgateway.com/
Block 2A - RaDD Office/Lab & Retail, IQHQ, https://iqhqreit.com/project/radd/
Block 2B - RaDD Office/Lab & Retail, IQHQ, https://iqhqreit.com/project/radd/
Block 3A - RaDD Office/Lab & Retail, IQHQ, https://iqhqreit.com/project/radd/
Block 3B - Navy Building
Block 4A - RaDD Office/Lab & Retail, IQHQ, https://iqhqreit.com/project/radd/
Block 4B - RaDD Office/Lab & Retail, IQHQ, Harbor Drive & Pacific Hwy, https://iqhqreit.com/project/radd/

mello Jul 23, 2022 6:13 PM

So you are saying the tallest building on the Northern portion of IQHQ is just an office building not a hotel? I was confused I thought it was a hotel.

Regarding Manchester digging equipment is parked on the site but you are saying it is not actively excavating? The portion to the west of where the will sit is dug out big time. Also there is a crane that looks like it could be used to build both the tall IQHQ office and Man Hotel, so please explain what is currently going on thanks.

roletand Jul 23, 2022 9:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 9684095)
So you are saying the tallest building on the Northern portion of IQHQ is just an office building not a hotel? I was confused I thought it was a hotel.

Regarding Manchester digging equipment is parked on the site but you are saying it is not actively excavating? The portion to the west of where the will sit is dug out big time. Also there is a crane that looks like it could be used to build both the tall IQHQ office and Man Hotel, so please explain what is currently going on thanks.

The tallest building on the Northern portion of the site IS going to be a hotel, but it is NOT part of IQHQ's RaDD development. That one block, 1B, remains for Manchester Financial to develop.

As far as I can tell from observing the site, no excavation has occurred on block 1B. The portion to the West, block 1A, is excavated and is under construction as it is part of the RaDD's underground parking. All 6 blocks that make up the RaDD development appear to be connected underground by a contiguous parking lot. At street level block 1A will be a public park.

jdrinboston Jul 27, 2022 4:02 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster. Was curious if anyone has actually confirmed that site work or construction has started on the 8th & B Project? I only ask because Bosa just shut down a high-profile project in Seattle shortly after beginning site work and was curious if they were doing this for other projects in other cities?

0 Cranes - 8th & B, Bosa, 8th & B


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.