SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Jan 1, 2011 9:32 AM

Here's that Hazard Center stuff:

http://thenewhazardcenter.com/

Lipani Jan 1, 2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5110511)
I don't actually call it the MLK I just remembered that the few white people I know here (Mount Hope) call it that lol.

We should confirm this with our local expert, Fox 5 San Diego Traffic and Weather-babe Chrissy Russo. :boogy:

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2010-09/56212607.jpg
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/entertainment/chrissyrussopictures/kswb-photogallery-12839,0,2771277.photogallery

HurricaneHugo Jan 2, 2011 3:07 AM

I'll take the bullet for the team and make a personal visit to her house to ask her this very important question.

You guys will owe me cuz I gotta spend a lot of time and gas money to do this plus nagging from my girlfriend but I care that much about you guys!

SDfan Jan 3, 2011 1:18 AM

Transportation Article:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...tation-future/

kpexpress Jan 3, 2011 4:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5111801)

Why is this city full of transit haters? How do we help change that attitude?

Why is everyone hating on CCDC and Downtown Redevelopment lately too? Do the suburban citizens not see the benefit of having a strong dense downtown area as an economic engine to the region?

HurricaneHugo Jan 3, 2011 4:59 AM

god i want to slap those people

laguna Jan 3, 2011 6:12 AM

'Why is this city full of transit haters? How do we help change that attitude?'

Is it really that difficult to mount a reasoned case based on cost/benefit?

I know, emotional responses feel better and are easier than cold facts and figures.

Keep scratching each others nuts and complaining, thats what you students are here for anyway.

HurricaneHugo Jan 3, 2011 6:37 AM

You can't make every freeway 20 lanes wide to support the transportation needs of a growing region.

kpexpress Jan 3, 2011 7:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5112056)
You can't make every freeway 20 lanes wide to support the transportation needs of a growing region.

Freeway's congested. Solution: add more lanes to allow more congestion. And the spiral continues at the cost of human scale, walkability, health, resources and the environment.

HurricaneHugo Jan 3, 2011 12:39 PM

I also forgot that roads and highways pay for themselves.

SD_Phil Jan 5, 2011 1:33 AM

Kinda OT but whatthehell, slow news day:

District 9 Fed Court ruled the Mt. Soledad cross unconstitutional today:
link

HurricaneHugo Jan 5, 2011 8:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD_Phil (Post 5113955)
Kinda OT but whatthehell, slow news day:

District 9 Fed Court ruled the Mt. Soledad cross unconstitutional today:
link

Anything about SD is on topic. :tup:

Although I believe in the separation of church and state that cross has been there for what, fifty years?

Let it stand.

But if they do take it down...

Replace it with a great statue to commerate the soldiers. :)

SDfan Jan 5, 2011 8:23 AM

^^^

I agree. I mean I'm all for keeping the cross, but if they do get rid of it, they should put something less dinky.

Giant statue of Cabrillo, hint hint, wink wink...

mello Jan 5, 2011 9:46 PM

My thoughts on SD after a 3 year absence

I've taken my first walks and drives through uptown and downtown after being gone for a while. I was born and raised in Encinitas and spent a couple of years in Bay Park and Hillcrest/Univ. Heights each.

North Park is looking pretty good along Univ. East of 30th I see some nice changes there since I left. 30th south of Univ. has improved as well but 30th N. of Univ. is looking pretty shabby and I will say a bit worse then it did previously.

Hillcrest along University E. of the 163 has some nice new additions and looked ok. I definitely like the new infill project on Washington street in Mission Hills. And the big condo project on Pennsylvania and 5th looks really nice as well. Right in the heart of Hillcrest is pretty much the same except for a Pink Berry lol.

South Park is definitely looking better with the couple of new additions on 30th by the Whistle Stop bar, that I hope to see that area keep expanding.

Now on to Downtown: I was just there on Tuesday in the late afternoon early evening roughly 3:45 to 5:30 and walked around the East Village and part of the Gaslamp. The EV has filled in with more 4 to 6 floor projects and seems to be very built up, but it was dead! There are thousands of units over there and very little street life. Now I know this was probably due to the time of day and the fact that there are many vacancies in those new "luxury rentals" etc.

I am also aware that most people that live downtown do not work downtown. Sad to see that most of the street level retail in buildings such as the Mark are still empty. Indigo Hotel and the new condo tower on Market do look nice. The Marriott Residence Inn on 5th/6th looks decent but that half block still dedicated to parking across the street is a real eye sore. The Hilton hotel does look better then I thought from the Gaslamp and EV perspective. It is a bit wide but in the late afternoon light it looks elegant and the materials seem to be of good quality.

Overall downtown SD at this time on a Tuesday really did lack life and seemed a bit lack luster. Some new bars, restaurants, and creative businesses have gone in just E. of the Gaslamp and a couple in the EV. It almost seems like you can "feel" the bad economy. People seemed to lack energy and just the vibe was a bit downtrodden. This is probably because I have just come from living in a close in Brooklyn hood for the past 2 years.

Anyhow, just wanted to give you all my perceptions on how SD looks after a hiatus. :cheers:

brantw Jan 6, 2011 4:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 5114861)
Overall downtown SD at this time on a Tuesday really did lack life and seemed a bit lack luster. Some new bars, restaurants, and creative businesses have gone in just E. of the Gaslamp and a couple in the EV. It almost seems like you can "feel" the bad economy. People seemed to lack energy and just the vibe was a bit downtrodden.

I know what you mean.

staplesla Jan 6, 2011 9:39 PM

Critics, port back together on Embarcadero

Critics say they have reached agreement with port officials on proceeding with the long-delayed $28 million North Embarcadero beautification effort.

The agreement, between the Navy Broadway Complex Coalition and the San Diego Unified Port District, was reached Wednesday after intervention by San Diego Councilman Kevin Faulconer, who chairs the North Embarcadero joint-powers authority that is leading the effort.

According to coalition members, the agreement calls for removing improvements to Broadway Pier from the first phase and including them in the next phase of the plan for the rest of the area, generally north of Seaport Village, south of Laurel Street and west of Pacific Highway.

The port board is scheduled to hold a hearing at 2 p.m. Tuesday at port headquarters, 3165 Pacific Highway in downtown San Diego, leading to approval of a coastal development permit.

That permit calls for tripling the waterfront promenade between Navy Pier and B Street Pier to about 105 feet, building two pavilions for food service and ticketing and a restroom and installing extensive landscaping. Broadway west of Pacific Highway also would be beautified.

The port is borrowing funds from the Centre City Development Corp., the city's downtown redevelopment arm, to complete the first phase of what has been planned for more than a dozen years.

Also envisioned in the first phase is a 150-food-wide public open space carved out of the Lane Field hotel development site, located at the northeast corner of Harbor Drive and Broadway.

"People have always called us obstructionists," said coalition co-chairman Ian Trowbridge. "We want to get it going."

He said his group pressed for deletion of the Broadway Pier portion of Phase 1 so it could pursue maximum public access to the pier now that a new cruise ship terminal has been completed there. The coalition sued the port over the terminal and has been trying to get the pier's use for cruise ships limited to certain days of the year. Trowbridge said he also hopes the port studies the use of the 10th Avenue Marine Terminal for cruise ships -- a shift that could open up the North Embarcadero to year-round public access.

The details were revealed at a meeting of the Union-Tribune editorial board Thursday. Besides Trowbridge, the meeting included Jerry Trammer, who represents the developers of the Lane Field hotels, and Stacey Pennington, an urban planner handling public outreach on the hotel; she is the daughter of one of the developers, Rob Lankford.

Even though Trowbridge said the agreement means construction could start by year's end, there are many hurdles ahead:

* The permit could be appealed to the California Coastal Commission and not be heard until June.
* Funds for the project could disappear if the state moves to take local redevelopment funds, as it has done in recent years, to plug its $28 billion budget deficit.
* And the agreement itself could come undone, just as earlier agreements and compromises collapsed when the actual details were put into writing.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...r-embarcadero/

HurricaneHugo Jan 6, 2011 10:18 PM

I already got tired of the stupid NE plan.

Any city in the USA would have built it five years ago.

SDfan Jan 7, 2011 1:04 AM

We need more articles like this or else downtown development is done...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...-whats-future/

SDfan Jan 7, 2011 1:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5116187)
I already got tired of the stupid NE plan.

Any city in the USA would have built it five years ago.

Agreed. And its going to look like crap anyways, so I don't know what all the fuss is about...

Derek Jan 7, 2011 8:06 AM

What do you guys think of this guy?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...rgers-stadium/