SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

MonctonRad Oct 5, 2019 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8708206)
And no TV coverage AFAIK.

Meanwhile TSN has three networks showing three different NCAA games this afternoon.

And this is a mortal sin as far as I'm concerned. :hell:

We all know why though. All TSN and Sports Net are interested in is "content", and it's cheaper for them to buy rights to NCAA games than it is to produce unique content for the Canadian market.

Horrible!!!! :hell: :hell: :hell:

Acajack Oct 5, 2019 7:49 PM

I just found out the game was broadcast on Rogers community TV in Ottawa. Better than nothing I guess but certainly not befitting of the biggest U Sport event of the year aside from the Vanier Cup.

Alex Trebek was there for the coin toss. He is an alumnus of the University of Ottawa. His team won.

Acajack Oct 5, 2019 8:05 PM

Another Panda anecdote. The stadium is halfway between the campuses along the Rideau Canal so traditionally students from each school march along the canal and meet at the stadium is what is known as the Panda Parade.

As usual the police were quite strict about people drinking in the parade but with changes in the law everyone was free to smoke as much pot as they wanted in public.

esquire Oct 5, 2019 8:08 PM

^ Cops will never, ever back down on public drinking. You could have a dystopian state with legalized murder, but Constable Bob will still be dutifully writing public drinking tickets to anyone toting a can of Bud Light.

Acajack Oct 5, 2019 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8708230)
^ Cops will never, ever back down on public drinking. You could have a dystopian state with legalized murder, but Constable Bob will still be dutifully writing public drinking tickets to anyone toting a can of Bud Light.

In the movie The Purge, the people roaming the streets committing random murders weren't allowed to have "open containers"...:haha:

Djeffery Oct 6, 2019 1:35 AM

I remember CHCH Hamilton used to do an Ontario game of the week, but no longer. I can't imagine there is a market for TSN or SN to produce a weekly game for national broadcast. oua.tv does have games online but not sure if every game is on each week or not

elly63 Oct 15, 2019 10:51 PM

https://i.imgur.com/RgMFJuN.png

LakeLocker Oct 30, 2019 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 8677871)
This is a trend in most sports in North America. The average consumer has flat incomes for several decades and when pro sports teams charge 10 bucks plus for parking, $12 bucks for a single beer ect… it has become way too expensive for the average fan to take a family of 4 to a game when it makes no economic sense. Especially now with most games all being broadcast and in excellent quality on tv.

I don't think it was ever suppose to be affordable for the average fan.

This sounds like the kind of populist sentiment that has always been circling pro sports.

I like pro sports in part because its so beyond my reach both financially.

If there was a demand for a cheaper product you'd see much greater attendance in minor leagues. People want the larger than life spectacle and decreasing prices does not achieve this.

JHikka Oct 30, 2019 6:02 PM

I guess this is the yearly reminder that students attending the Panda Game in Ottawa are not really going for the football and are mostly going to drink and yell at students from the opposite school. Still, it's a decent crowd; everything I heard pointed to an official crowd somewhere between 21k-22k.

Acajack Oct 30, 2019 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8733855)
I guess this is the yearly reminder that students attending the Panda Game in Ottawa are not really going for the football and are mostly going to drink and yell at students from the opposite school. Still, it's a decent crowd; everything I heard pointed to an official crowd somewhere between 21k-22k.

You are late to the party. We have already discussed this at length. :D

Acajack Oct 30, 2019 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeLocker (Post 8733448)
I don't think it was ever suppose to be affordable for the average fan.

This sounds like the kind of populist sentiment that has always been circling pro sports.

I like pro sports in part because its so beyond my reach both financially.

If there was a demand for a cheaper product you'd see much greater attendance in minor leagues. People want the larger than life spectacle and decreasing prices does not achieve this.

There is truth in this but at one point you have to be mindful of not killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

People are losing interest in pro spectator sports and one reason (not the only and maybe not the main one) is affordability.

A lot of our affinity for pro sports as adults stems from childhood memories attending games in person with our dads, for example. More kids than ever are growing up without any of those memories.

I still remember the first time I walked out of a Montreal metro station with my dad and saw the crossed hockey stick escalators of the old Forum just across the street. My heart missed a beat I think.

TorontoDrew Oct 30, 2019 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8718051)

Had to spotify him, never heard his music. I'm trying to find a single song that sounds creative, but I can't.

Acajack Oct 30, 2019 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8733899)
Had to spotify him, never heard his music. I'm trying to find a single song that sounds creative, but I can't.

Isn't he Nicole Kidman's husband?

elly63 Oct 30, 2019 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8733899)

Please don't troll in this thread as you have previously. I hate country music but I know this guy is about as big there is and it is a real coup for the CFL.

Edit: sorry, troll away to your heart's content, this isn't the CFL thread.

TorontoDrew Oct 30, 2019 6:33 PM

You are correct. Probably the only reason why his vanilla sound has gotten any play. Looks like another forgettable halftime show for the CFL.

TorontoDrew Oct 30, 2019 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8733919)
Please don't troll in this thread as previously. I hate country music but I know this guy is about as big there is.

LOL seriously go "F" yourself. I searched him, went through about 10 songs didn't recognize one or like any. I'm always ready to find new talent ad ad it to my playlists no matter the genre. He does not make the cut. I don't troll Elly nice try.

:tup:

elly63 Oct 30, 2019 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8733874)
You are late to the party. We have already discussed this at length. :D

C'mon it's never too late to find something to shit about regarding Canadian football :)

elly63 Oct 30, 2019 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8733926)
I don't troll Elly nice try.

You'll swear to that if I go have a look? :)

VANRIDERFAN Oct 30, 2019 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8733920)
You are correct. Probably the only reason why his vanilla sound has gotten any play. Looks like another forgettable halftime show for the CFL.

Why would you care? It seems that you don't bother to watch CFL games anyway?

Acajack Oct 30, 2019 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8733926)
LOL seriously go "F" yourself. I searched him, went through about 10 songs didn't recognize one or like any. I'm always ready to find new talent ad ad it to my playlists no matter the genre. He does not make the cut. I don't troll Elly nice try.

:tup:

I probably know less about country music than anyone on this forum but I do know this guy is a very big name in that genre. (I know no songs of his though.)

I would also question the decision of the CFL to go with country music if they want to appeal to a younger, broader audience.

Though in fairness you have to consider their existing fan base and where the GC is being held.

Also, in fairness (2) they've had Alessia Cara in recent years, and also Shania Twain who is a huge star and a good cross-over artist.