SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

djslue May 18, 2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 9277683)
Home Hardware is taking over the old Rona/Chester Dawe site in Paradise.

Is this confirmed?

Arrakis May 19, 2021 5:20 PM

All I could find is an approval for a Capital Home Hardware at 1297 Topsail Road on the Town Of Paradise’s municipal agenda dated March 3, 2021. They were also granted tax incentives too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djslue (Post 9283565)
Is this confirmed?


djslue May 19, 2021 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 9285339)
All I could find is an approval for a Capital Home Hardware at 1297 Topsail Road on the Town Of Paradise’s municipal agenda dated March 3, 2021. They were also granted tax incentives too.

Thanks

Larla77 May 26, 2021 12:20 PM

Isla and Sam on Water Street is closing. I see on their facebook its because the building sold - I guess they were leasing the space. Hopefully someone else opens up there.

wmemeadusjr Jun 3, 2021 4:35 PM

Cineplex is closing the Mount Pearl Square location.

Arrakis Jun 3, 2021 6:08 PM

Surprised it took this long to make that decision.

With the current times complicated by the pandemic and streaming networks seemingly taking over with releasing first run movies, cinemas are declining in certain markets these days. I actually fear for the survival of the cinemas at Avalon Mall too. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 9300754)
Cineplex is closing the Mount Pearl Square location.


goodgrowth Jun 3, 2021 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 9300857)
Surprised it took this long to make that decision.

With the current times complicated by the pandemic and streaming networks seemingly taking over with releasing first run movies, cinemas are declining in certain markets these days. I actually fear for the survival of the cinemas at Avalon Mall too. :(

Still maintain that a new smallish(~8 screen) cinema in Galway would be ideal and probably do well. Can't imagine it's financially feasible right now though.

Crisisnf Jul 7, 2021 5:26 PM

Hakim Optical in Village Mall temporarily closed until further notice. Been closed for at least a couple weeks. I had heard they were opening a location in the Avalon Mall as well but I'm guessing that is not still planned.

Marty_Mcfly Jul 8, 2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisisnf (Post 9333473)
Hakim Optical in Village Mall temporarily closed until further notice. Been closed for at least a couple weeks. I had heard they were opening a location in the Avalon Mall as well but I'm guessing that is not still planned.

Signs are up at Avalon for Hakim, it's located down near Winners.

MelH Jul 16, 2021 8:01 PM

Hakim
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 9334329)
Signs are up at Avalon for Hakim, it's located down near Winners.

It could be a staffing thing or they could be relocating to the Avalon Mall - the opticians there used to work at Sears Optical.

Arrakis Aug 12, 2021 6:23 PM

Was at the Village today and noticed that they are gutting out the former Klondike Jakes space. Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t there a pool hall or something like that slated to go in there?

Tocchet22 Aug 13, 2021 5:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 9363275)
Was at the Village today and noticed that they are gutting out the former Klondike Jakes space. Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t there a pool hall or something like that slated to go in there?

Plaza Reit website shows it leased as a dermatologist clinic.

Marty_Mcfly Aug 13, 2021 5:15 PM

In others news, it looks like the old Stockwoods on Freshwater Road has (finally) been purchased. No idea what the plan for the site is.

Arrakis Aug 13, 2021 8:41 PM

That old building is ancient and so run down. Probably rat infested now. Probably better off being torn down and start anew.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 9364240)
In others news, it looks like the old Stockwoods on Freshwater Road has (finally) been purchased. No idea what the plan for the site is.


Arrakis Aug 13, 2021 8:41 PM

Thanks for the update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tocchet22 (Post 9364223)
Plaza Reit website shows it leased as a dermatologist clinic.


Marty_Mcfly Aug 13, 2021 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 9364520)
That old building is ancient and so run down. Probably rat infested now. Probably better off being torn down and start anew.

My thoughts as well but it would appear so far that the new owners have been doing work on the building. No idea what the end-goal is.

Arrakis Sep 18, 2021 5:42 PM

Rumours floating around again about Giant Tiger coming to town. This time in the former Walmart location on Topsail Road (which would be an excellent location in my opinion). Anyone hear of anything to back up the rumours? I couldn’t find anything from Giant Tiger itself or from Crombie REIT which owns that property.

Crisisnf Sep 20, 2021 12:57 AM

Hakim Optical is reopening their Village Mall location on Sept 20.

Arrakis Sep 24, 2021 4:22 PM

Apologies up front. This story has nothing to do with St. John’s but is interesting nonetheless.

The Hudson Bay Company in Burlington Ontario is surprisingly opening a pop-up “Zellers” Store within its Hudson Bay Store. They still own the rights to the Zellers name after selling most of its Zellers physical store leases to Target several years ago. Well that didn’t go well for Target and now they are all gone too. I wonder if The owners are testing the retail market for a possible Zellers return to Canada in stand-alone physical store format? HBC is currently struggling to survive these days to stay relevant and profitable. Could the return of the discount Zellers chain be its saviour. This is intriguing.

Here is the link the the Retail-Insider article....
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...cation-photos/

Tocchet22 Oct 7, 2021 5:32 PM

Pipers Mount Pearl
 
Heard on the radio that Piper's newest store was opening in Mount Pearl today.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.