SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Bigtime Aug 29, 2015 1:13 PM

A very good July for YYC all things considered!

http://www.yyc.com/en-us/media/facts...tatistics.aspx

Overall: +5.1%
Domestic: +5.2%
Transborder: +5.0%
International: +4.5%

thenoflyzone Aug 29, 2015 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigtime (Post 7146693)
A very good July for YYC all things considered!

http://www.yyc.com/en-us/media/facts...tatistics.aspx

Overall: +5.1%
Domestic: +5.2%
Transborder: +5.0%
International: +4.5%

Indeed pretty impressive.

1. YYZ - 19,657,448 +7.0% (from June)
2. YVR - 11,741,655 +5.3%
3. YUL - 9,040,660 +4.3%
4. YYC - 8,922,801 +1.8%
5. YEG - 4,194,919 -1.4%

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 7143876)
Montreal Trudeau just had its busiest month ever (beating August 2014). YUL had 1,548,959 passengers in July up 5.6% from last year.

The YTD number is 9,040,660 (+4.3%).

International passengers (not including US) number was incredible, up 10.3% from last year.

Usually August is the busiest month of the year for YUL. So a new record should be set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyeg66 (Post 7145095)
Wow, all this talk about YVR's international numbers increasing greatly (which they are) and yet YUL's numbers are up about 220k YOY in that category while YVR's up about 140k. That proves it, YUL is silent but deadly.

Indeed. CA to PEK hasn't even started yet and AC has already announced LYS for next year. So the growth should continue. A WS 767 can also help in that regard ! ;)

SkydivePilot Aug 29, 2015 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigtime (Post 7144692)
They purchased 4 so far from Boeing. All four are ex-Qantas birds.

Thank you sir. :)

big T Aug 30, 2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7146727)
Indeed. CA to PEK hasn't even started yet and AC has already announced LYS for next year. So the growth should continue. A WS 767 can also help in that regard ! ;)

I was assuming the new PEK direct would mostly serve to reclassify domestic traffic into international, as presumably most of the YUL-PEK passengers are currently connecting in YYZ. Would be interesting to see if the direct flight brought some overall growth on top of that, but without access to detailed stats for the route I'm not sure how we can find out.

thenoflyzone Aug 30, 2015 6:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big T (Post 7147108)
I was assuming the new PEK direct would mostly serve to reclassify domestic traffic into international, as presumably most of the YUL-PEK passengers are currently connecting in YYZ. Would be interesting to see if the direct flight brought some overall growth on top of that, but without access to detailed stats for the route I'm not sure how we can find out.

If all of YUL's new Int'l services in recent years simply reclassified domestic traffic into international, then YULs domestic count should be half what it is now.

Market stimulation does occur with a new route launch, which translates into growth, for all travel segments, domestic and international.

CA's PEK-YUL will surely stimulate the market between YUL and East Asia, which should translate into growth.

bikegypsy Aug 30, 2015 8:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7147322)
If all of YUL's new Int'l services in recent years simply reclassified domestic traffic into international, then YULs domestic count should be half what it is now.

Market stimulation does occur with a new route launch, which translates into growth, for all travel segments, domestic and international.

CA's PEK-YUL will surely stimulate the market between YUL and East Asia, which should translate into growth.

YUL is a hub and the main airport for Eastern Ontario and all of Quebec. It also handles a huge chunk of the Ottawa passenger traffic... When YUL adds a new international flight, it cuts into the domestic traffic from surrounding cities. A China bound Ottawa passenger would normally fly through YYZ, YVR or ORD but will soon just drive (like thousands do every day) down to YUL for a direct flight. So yeah, somewhere, it does affect domestic passenger numbers.

big T Aug 30, 2015 8:49 PM

I think Ottawa is a bit far to be part of the YUL catchment area though. People who I know will drive 2 hrs to catch a flight do it to fly out of the U.S. (like PBG or BVT here) and do it because the substantial price difference justifies it. I doubt the direct YUL-PEK will be much cheaper than a YOW-YYZ-PEK, in fact it may even be more expensive.

casper Aug 30, 2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big T (Post 7147750)
I think Ottawa is a bit far to be part of the YUL catchment area though. People who I know will drive 2 hrs to catch a flight do it to fly out of the U.S. (like PBG or BVT here) and do it because the substantial price difference justifies it. I doubt the direct YUL-PEK will be much cheaper than a YOW-YYZ-PEK, in fact it may even be more expensive.

You will likely see some YOW-YUL-PEK traffic. There probably will be appropriate code shares from several cities connecting in Montreal. They airlines want to fill up all the flights and will discount accordingly.

bikegypsy Aug 31, 2015 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big T (Post 7147750)
I think Ottawa is a bit far to be part of the YUL catchment area though. People who I know will drive 2 hrs to catch a flight do it to fly out of the U.S. (like PBG or BVT here) and do it because the substantial price difference justifies it. I doubt the direct YUL-PEK will be much cheaper than a YOW-YYZ-PEK, in fact it may even be more expensive.

I used to work in the travel industry and can attest that YUL sucks a huge number of Ottawa passengers. We're talking people hitting the highway and doing the 1.5 hour drive to Dorval. Air France and KLM have buses doing a few daily runs. There's VIA stop there. Some of the Greyhound buses stop here as well. In Ottawa and Gatineau, driving to take a flight in YUL (or Mirabel in the past) is what about 50% of international bound travelers do.

OTSkyline Aug 31, 2015 7:32 PM

I'm from Ottawa and anytime I travel, I always double check prices from YUL to see if there are substantial (or any) savings...

Interestingly, most of the time, it's cheaper to fly out of YOW and I do just that. But I did go to FLL once and found a flight with something like $150 difference on a return ticket if I booked through YUL. So I ended up booking that and getting a greyhound ticket OTT-MTL for about $50.

Villaggio Sep 1, 2015 2:38 AM

YQB:
January + 2,1%
February + 2,0%
March – 3,8%
April + 1,2%
May +5,4%
June +8,2%
July +2,6%

Over the years:

Main Terminal Main Terminal
+ General Aviation
2014 1 510 047
2013 1 403 466
2012 1 342 840
2011 1 313 432
2010 1 190 088
2009 1 035 026
2008 1 022 862
2007 877 273
2006 779 587
2005 771 043
2004 711 323
2003 625 980
2002 607 920

Coldrsx Sep 3, 2015 5:27 PM

Air China!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN_nINiUYAAjhX-.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/FlyEIACargo/stat...202624/photo/1

thenoflyzone Sep 4, 2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 7152356)
Air China!

That's the first time I see containers get a water cannon salute ! ;)

SFUVancouver Sep 4, 2015 7:30 PM

It's fantastic that ACC began flying this route so soon after it was announced. This is a big deal for YEG and bodes well for taking a bite out of Anchorage's air cargo dominance on trans-pacific routes.

thenoflyzone Sep 12, 2015 2:04 AM

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=919

YUL-CMN 4x weekly
YYZ-GLA 3x weekly
YYZ-PRG 3x weekly
YYZ-BUD 3x weekly
YYZ-WAW 3x weekly

All summer seasonal on RV 763s. With the launch of Casablanca, AC will fly to all 6 inhabited continents.

The press release mentions they plan on making CMN year round eventually.

Nicko999 Sep 12, 2015 5:10 AM

Why is YYZ so slow to update their monthly stats? It's now been 2 weeks if not more than all our major airports have published their numbers for July.

SkahHigh Sep 12, 2015 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 7161196)
Why is YYZ so slow to update their monthly stats? It's now been 2 weeks if not more than all our major airports have published their numbers for July.

Bigger airport, more stats to record I guess?

Nicko999 Sep 12, 2015 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkahHigh (Post 7161395)
Bigger airport, more stats to record I guess?

Those are done electronically. Dubai's airport is twice as busy and their stats for July are already out. In fact, Toronto is the last major airport (or one of the last) in the World to publish their numbers.

jmt18325 Sep 13, 2015 12:13 AM

So, I'm flying from YWG to LGA via YYZ on an American Airlines ticket. The YWG to YYZ portion of the flight doesn't show up under my Westjet account (though strangely, the American Eagle flight from YYZ to LGA does. The return trip is on a Westjet ticket and shows up there). Should I just check in online with AA and go straight through security to my Westjet flight, since there's no AA presence at YWG?

casper Sep 13, 2015 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 7161725)
So, I'm flying from YWG to LGA via YYZ on an American Airlines ticket. The YWG to YYZ portion of the flight doesn't show up under my Westjet account (though strangely, the American Eagle flight from YYZ to LGA does. The return trip is on a Westjet ticket and shows up there). Should I just check in online with AA and go straight through security to my Westjet flight, since there's no AA presence at YWG?

You normally check in with the airline operating the flight. That would be WestJet. The WestJet counter in YWG would handle the checkin process.

You may be able to do it online, perhaps.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.