SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

Vicelord John Mar 7, 2011 12:35 AM

They opened so quietly that I didn't even know it existed.

Tfom Mar 8, 2011 4:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5182612)
The heat will definitely be a factor, I hope the National Media doesn't bitch about it as much as they did about the poor weather in Detroit for the Super Bowl a few years back.

There is no way they are going to be able to resist showing the thermometer every 2 seconds.

Vicelord John Mar 10, 2011 9:12 PM

Since this is coffee talk and I'm a car nut, I wanted to share a pic of my new ride.

This is my first new car I've ever bought. I had my BMW that was ready to start costing a LOT of money to own. Now I have a warranty, 35 mpg with regular unleaded, cheap maintenance, yadda yadda.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...ena/mazda2.jpg

Evil Empire Mar 10, 2011 9:20 PM

Mazda 2? It's already won a number of awards by various domestic and international publications, great little car.

Phxguy Mar 10, 2011 11:45 PM

Gosh I hate small cars like that. Do u even feel safe driving it??

Vicelord John Mar 11, 2011 12:09 AM

Fear is for the mentally weak. I ride motorcycles, road cycle, and I've road raced just about every car you can think of... so what I'm saying is I'm not afraid of anything on a road.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 11, 2011 1:23 AM

I've driven my 2008 Honda hatchback all over Southern California and Arizona through some pretty shitty weather and traffic conditions, and have never once felt unsafe in it.

People with an irrational fear of certain cars shouldn't have licenses.

PHX31 Mar 11, 2011 1:25 AM

I wouldn't be worried about myself, the car, or the weather conditions... I'd be afraid of the crazy fucks all over the place. Especially on a bike.

Vicelord John Mar 11, 2011 1:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 5195809)
People with an irrational fear of certain cars shouldn't have licenses.

I wouldn't go to that extreme. Is it irrational? Yes. If it makes you uncomfortable though, you probably shouldn't do it.

and PHX31, the bike thing has never bothered me. Situational awareness (if you have it... some don't) will save your butt quite a few times if you're truly good.

Phxguy Mar 11, 2011 2:03 AM

It's not that I fear small cars, it's I don't like them. After seeing accident them accidents and driver+passengers dead, I'll sticking with a mid-sized car.

HX_Guy Mar 11, 2011 2:08 AM

Is it really the size of the car that matters or how well the car handles accidents? You can have some very well built small cars that perform better in accidents than mid-size or larger cars.

Vicelord John Mar 11, 2011 2:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 5195874)
It's not that I fear small cars, it's I don't like them. After seeing accident them accidents and driver+passengers dead, I'll sticking with a mid-sized car.

This is an asinine statement.

You can die driving a huge SUV when it rolls over and ejects you. You can survive an accident in a tiny cracker box like my Mazda 2, becuase the car absorbs the contact and becomes a ball of airbags.

In fact, the inertia of lets say a Town Car smashing into a wall is so great that you're more likely to sustain serious injury vs. driving a Jetta. More weight = greater damage.

It's not the size of your vehicle that dictates your suvival of a collision, it's how your car was built to handle that said accident. You're not a driver, and you live in Mesa, so I'll assume you have an overprotective mother who has taught you to believe this malarky, but I can assure you, bigger car does not necessarily equal safer car. Size of collision has a little more to do with it.

edit:
looks like the death leader is actually small trucks. with midsize trucks right up there as well. Both are larger than a subcompact car. You also have to take into account how many of each vehicle type is on the road... I'd be willing to bet that "small" cars are probably the most common types as they would include Civics, Sentras, Jettas, etc.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/ar...arge-cars.html

Phxguy Mar 11, 2011 2:57 AM

Yes I know, I've taken a drivers class before. I know the physics of an accident and how better built cars crumple up to make sure the inside compartment stays almost unchanges. And yes I am the driver and designated driver. No comment to your other statement. My sister who has been in more accidents then you could ever get into, drives a 94 4runner and the still holds together while other cars she's hit were totaled. Yes it depends how the car was built and everything else, speed, force, direction, etc.

Leo the Dog Mar 11, 2011 4:45 AM

Vicelord, were you making a beer run at the Circle K on Van Buren and 11th when you took that pic?!

Joshy Mar 11, 2011 5:00 AM

Phoenix Coyotes

Hey guys,

Just curious if any of you are following the saga of the Phoenix Coyotes? What are your opinions? Do you think they will stay or go? Does anyone really care down there?

Cheers :cheers:

Vicelord John Mar 11, 2011 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 5196057)
Vicelord, were you making a beer run at the Circle K on Van Buren and 11th when you took that pic?!

Yes I was at that circle k. My neighborhood store! Best place to fill a water jug. 5 gallons for $1

Evil Empire Mar 11, 2011 7:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshy (Post 5196078)
Hey guys,

Just curious if any of you are following the saga of the Phoenix Coyotes? What are your opinions? Do you think they will stay or go? Does anyone really care down there?

Cheers :cheers:

I'm a hockey fan...and I do like the Coyotes here, I've been to 12 games this season. It would be really unfortunate if they moved, not just economically for the Westgate area where they play but anytime a team leaves a city, it leaves a mark on the city itself.

Regrettably, though, the team moving is inevitable. The team made an amazing turnaround last year and is only 5 points out of 2nd place in the Western COnference this year and the enthusiasm for the team is just as low as it was during the bad seasons, not to mention the ultimate marker of success, the attendance, has been abysmal yet again. Sure, there are a few spikes in attendance but only because of the people who moved here from Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, etc. Add to that the Goldwater Institute suing Glendale and driving away potential buyers (even though they say they're still committed) and you have the perfect storm.

It really sucks because there are a lot of good, loyal fans here albeit a small number for a city this big, and there's still thousands of season ticket holders that have been coming to the games since the team moved here in 1996. I'd love it if the team could stay but unfortunately I have to be realistic.

Leo the Dog Mar 11, 2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5196186)
Yes I was at that circle k. My neighborhood store! Best place to fill a water jug. 5 gallons for $1

Been there many times before, and not for the cheap water, but for the amazing walk-in beer den. :slob:

Vicelord John Mar 11, 2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 5197243)
Been there many times before, and not for the cheap water, but for the amazing walk-in beer den. :slob:

hah yeah I love the walk in beer den (except for it's full of crappy beers.) It's a nice place to go inside when you walk there in the summer.

HooverDam Mar 14, 2011 7:24 AM

Anyone noticed the new update to Google Maps on the satellite view? I think it happened a week or two ago. Its really nice, now once you zoom in a certain amount it switches to more of a "Birds Eye" view like Bing maps has had for a while. Its fairly up to date too, Civic Space and "Her Secret is Patience" look neat from the Birds Eye view:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1209/civicspace.png