SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Pinus May 26, 2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7453605)

No flights are listed for Toony beyond the fall.

The writing is on the wall for Toonytown.

thenoflyzone May 26, 2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinus (Post 7453832)
No flights are listed for Toony beyond the fall.

The writing is on the wall for Toonytown.

I checked random dates in Dec, Feb, Mar and April, and double daily non stop YXE-MSP is listed on their schedules. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut it.

Pinus May 26, 2016 12:10 PM

Funny, a mere few hours ago there were zero, zilch, nada flights from Toony to MSP.

Something odd seems to be occurring. That being said, I too believe Toony will get the axe from Delta within the year.

esquire May 26, 2016 1:29 PM

^ Looking ahead to that period for YWG-MSP, there appear to be 4 weekday flights, mostly on CR900s (some days all flights, on other days the CRJ pops up). YXE has CR9s slotted in as well for some of its 2 daily flights.

I wouldn't be quite so certain that DL is abandoning Sask altogether... perhaps the market isn't quite big enough to support two routes right now, but one is feasible? With YXE you get one of the two big Sask business hubs, plus there is better proximity to the hunting/fishing spots that so many DL customers seem to like heading north for.

SteelTown May 26, 2016 3:13 PM

https://flyhamilton.ca/wp-content/up...6-1024x768.jpg
This week John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport celebrated the start of direct daily service to Montreal with Air Canada!

https://flyhamilton.ca/wp-content/up...3-1024x768.jpg
Daily direct service to Montreal, Quebec will be offered from Hamilton with Air Canada, providing options for further connections to Atlantic Canada and Europe.

http://flyhamilton.ca/air-canadas-in...t-to-montreal/

Denscity May 26, 2016 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7453499)
Some route cuts to the US.

AA terminates PHX-YYC
UA terminates YEG-ORD/SFO and YUL-IAH (latter taken over by AC)
DL terminates JFK-YHZ as of October and reduces JFK-YQB from 2 to 1 daily.
RV delays start of seasonal YYZ-HNL to December 25 and cuts its down to 1x weekly compared to 2x weekly last year (clearly a sign the route is struggling)
PD reduces PIT-YTZ to 1 daily during the summer.

Some good news too. AA increasing LAX-YVR to double daily in January, UA increasing DEN-YVR to 3 daily in October. Overall, huge cuts, especially from UA during the last 2 years.

I hear UA is also cutting IAH-LOS, meaning no more Africa service on their behalf. So that's 2 oil routes being cut.

Wow YVR the only airport without any cuts and the only airport with gains! :tup:

nname May 26, 2016 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 7454327)
Wow YVR the only airport without any cuts and the only airport with gains! :tup:

AA's YVR-LAX was cut from double daily to daily during off-season to begin with, otherwise there won't be this "gain"

Denscity May 26, 2016 7:29 PM

You mean there wasn't a flight from Hamilton to Montreal already? And that big of a celebration? Seems so minor of a flight even for Hamilton. For us it would be a major addition met with a parade but we're tiny potatoes.

esquire May 26, 2016 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 7454347)
You mean there wasn't a flight from Hamilton to Montreal already? And that big of a celebration? Seems so minor of a flight even for Hamilton. For us it would be a major addition met with a parade but we're tiny potatoes.

Hamilton's airport is fairly small (not surprising given that it's just down the road from YYZ) and they haven't regularly had AC service. It's significant.

jmt18325 May 26, 2016 9:17 PM

I'm going to be really sad when Air Canada switches to the Max (unless they get new wider seats like southwest) because the difference in comfort between the last Wesjet 73G I was on in January, and the A321 I was on yesterday is massive. The new slim seats on the new delivered 738s are a bit better, but not much. The 737 is just too narrow.

jmt18325 May 26, 2016 9:29 PM

Oh - and I flew on Rouge for the first time today (YYZ-ATH) I really don't get all the negativity. It was fine. The seats weren't bad, other than the lack of recline. The interior was also clean, if a slight bit dated and beat up.

SFUVancouver May 26, 2016 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7453902)
^ Looking ahead to that period for YWG-MSP, there appear to be 4 weekday flights, mostly on CR900s (some days all flights, on other days the CRJ pops up).

I just took the MSP-YWG flight last week on a CJR900. It was a pleasant flight and I'd highly recommend springing for the Delta "Comfort+" premium economy seats. Priority boarding (critical for limited overhead bin space aircraft), loads more leg room, and free alcoholic drinks make this a definite step up over the premium economy offerings of other US domestic offerings I've tried.

Johnny Aussie May 27, 2016 4:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 7454327)

Yeah. Be careful when interpreting some of the changes in the OAG updates on airliners.net. Those changes only reflect the scheduling in the OAG analyser from the previous week. However, some of the Alberta and other city reductions are actual decreases. YEG is going to be down to only 12 daily flights to the US this summer... Ouch!

So the AA YVR-LAX additional flights aren't really an increase. AA had cut LAX from 2 to one daily for the Autumn, but as expected, added back for winter. The addition of a third daily flight to DEN in the fall is definitely an increase though as that route is just normally twice daily in the fall and winter.

YVR is definitely one of the few Canadian airports with Transborder growth still but who knows if that will continue. Summer capacity is of course way up and cruise ship traffic is expected to grow as well.... Time will tell.

Alexcaban May 28, 2016 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7454860)
Yeah. Be careful when interpreting some of the changes in the OAG updates on airliners.net. Those changes only reflect the scheduling in the OAG analyser from the previous week. However, some of the Alberta and other city reductions are actual decreases. YEG is going to be down to only 12 daily flights to the US this summer... Ouch!

So the AA YVR-LAX additional flights aren't really an increase. AA had cut LAX from 2 to one daily for the Autumn, but as expected, added back for winter. The addition of a third daily flight to DEN in the fall is definitely an increase though as that route is just normally twice daily in the fall and winter.

YVR is definitely one of the few Canadian airports with Transborder growth still but who knows if that will continue. Summer capacity is of course way up and cruise ship traffic is expected to grow as well.... Time will tell.

YUL Transborder is up 4.5% YTD, even with the loss of United's YUL-IAH, AC is picking up the route June 6th.

Johnny Aussie May 28, 2016 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexcaban (Post 7455897)
YUL Transborder is up 4.5% YTD, even with the loss of United's YUL-IAH, AC is picking up the route June 6th.

Yeah YYZ YUL And YVR seem to have growth.... YUL had a bit of a stall in April with 0.9% growth after a really decent first quarter.

jmt18325 May 28, 2016 3:47 AM

Based on the Q1 results, Winnipeg appears to at least be recovering previous highs. It's still not quite to where it was yet though.

Johnny Aussie May 28, 2016 4:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 7455948)
Based on the Q1 results, Winnipeg appears to at least be recovering previous highs. It's still not quite to where it was yet though.

Sorry was referring to Transborder. YWG down as well.

jmt18325 May 28, 2016 4:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7455960)
Sorry was referring to Transborder. YWG down as well.

Yeah, I know - what I meant was there seems to be some recovery in transformer based on the Q1 numbers, even though the numbers haven't reached some previous years.

J81 May 28, 2016 1:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 7454478)
I'm going to be really sad when Air Canada switches to the Max (unless they get new wider seats like southwest) because the difference in comfort between the last Wesjet 73G I was on in January, and the A321 I was on yesterday is massive. The new slim seats on the new delivered 738s are a bit better, but not much. The 737 is just too narrow.

The difference between them is less then 6 inches. Hardly much of a difference. I fly on both aircraft regularly and have no complaints with either. The Rouge A320 series are brutally cramped and so are the Sunwing 737s. So it depends entirely on the cabin interior selected by the airline itself.

jmt18325 May 28, 2016 1:54 PM

That 1" width difference per seat is pretty big for me. I'm a little worried that I might have trouble with the new 3-4-3 777, as it's the same width as the 737. Maybe it's more about the shoulder room, I'm not sure.

I found the Rouge 767 interior to be very tolerable. I haven't yet tried the 319 or 321 yet though. I know you lose an inch of pitch over the 767, but gain a half inch of width.