SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

EpicPonyTime Jul 11, 2023 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djeffery (Post 9989731)
I have no concerns about the NBA being successful in Vegas. MLB on the other hand, after the first few years of novelty wears off, I can see them running into issues. The time of year the season runs and the shear number of games. The bulk of the season is in the so-called low season, I hardly ever hear someone in July or August saying they are heading to Vegas. And I don't think the locals really spend a lot of time on the strip.

The A's really overestimate people's willingness to sit in the Vegas sun to watch a baseball game in July and August. There's a reason the Raiders' palace has a roof. A Vegas MLB team is destined to relocate.

Djeffery Jul 11, 2023 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 9989754)
The A's really overestimate people's willingness to sit in the Vegas sun to watch a baseball game in July and August. There's a reason the Raiders' palace has a roof. A Vegas MLB team is destined to relocate.

I don't recall the latest news, but I imagine they will at least have a retractable roof. Even still, I doubt their drawing power through the summer months after the first few seasons.

EpicPonyTime Jul 12, 2023 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djeffery (Post 9989763)
I don't recall the latest news, but I imagine they will at least have a retractable roof. Even still, I doubt their drawing power through the summer months after the first few seasons.

Partially retractable, according to the information released thus far. Renders suggest the fans in the main seating will have a transparent roof directly overhead (looks similar to the Vikings' glass dome), but the outfield will be fully uncovered. It seems horribly insufficient when you consider how hot it gets in Vegas even when you're in the shade.

esquire Jul 12, 2023 1:56 PM

^ I would imagine they will make sure that fans are comfortable, it's a deal breaker if fans are going to be sweltering in the summer heat. Phoenix is basically in the same climate and they have managed to make it work.

thurmas Jul 12, 2023 2:33 PM

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...-luck-2805179/

If A’s need more land for retractable roof ballpark, they may be in luck

If the Oakland Athletics’ planned Las Vegas ballpark needs more than the 9 acres of land allotted to them to accommodate a retractable roof, they could be in luck.

If additional land is needed, that could be provided, Bally’s Chairman Soo Kim said Friday.

“I do believe we have some language that allows for supports for a roof if necessary beyond the above (acreage),” Kim told the Review-Journal.

The A’s initial stadium plans include a $1.5 billion, 30,000-seat ballpark that would include some form of retractable roof.

Bally’s Corp., which owns the Tropicana, and Gaming and Leisure Properties, which owns the land where the stadium would be situated, agreed to provide the A’s 9 acres of land free of charge. That land is valued at around $180 million, according to Kim.

Renderings for the A’s ballpark show a large arch above the stadium, which would be the supports Kim noted. Wembley Stadium in England features a similar arch above the retractable roof facility. Those supports extend beyond the stadium’s footprint, which could require additional land.

A retractable roof is desirable to the A’s to allow for the ballpark to be climate controlled during the hot summer months and to allow for open air games during months when temperatures are not as extreme.

The A’s and Bally’s Corp. will also have up to 4 acres of shared space at the 35-acre site that could be used as a courtyard of sorts, leading fans to and from Las Vegas Boulevard, as depicted in artists renderings.

The Texas Rangers’ 40,000-seat Globe Life Field features a retractable roof and sits on 13 acres of land in Arlington, Texas. The A’s have toured that ballpark previously during their Las Vegas ballpark research process.

Although slightly larger, Globe Life Field provides an idea of how much space might be needed to construct a retractable roof stadium at the Tropicana site.

Similar to Globe Life Field, the A’s would also use artificial turf in Las Vegas, due to the lack of sunlight that would be available with a partially retractable roof.

The Raiders’ Allegiant Stadium features a semi-translucent dome and a natural grass field. The field is located on top of a field tray that moves in and out of the stadium to allow for adequate sunlight when not in use.

After the A’s stadium funding bill was signed into law by Gov. Joe Lombardo last month, earmarking up to $380 million in public money toward the $1.5 billion project, the A’s still need MLB approval for their relocation to Southern Nevada to be official. The A’s have begun the relocation application process.

Once they submit the application to MLB officials, it will be reviewed ahead of a potential vote of the team owners. The A’s would need 75 percent of owners to vote in favor of their move to Las Vegas for it to be approved.

Djeffery Jul 12, 2023 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 9989976)
Partially retractable, according to the information released thus far. Renders suggest the fans in the main seating will have a transparent roof directly overhead (looks similar to the Vikings' glass dome), but the outfield will be fully uncovered. It seems horribly insufficient when you consider how hot it gets in Vegas even when you're in the shade.

That says to me that it will have the ability to be fully enclosed, but that when the roof is open it will only expose the outfield.

EpicPonyTime Jul 12, 2023 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9990056)
^ I would imagine they will make sure that fans are comfortable, it's a deal breaker if fans are going to be sweltering in the summer heat. Phoenix is basically in the same climate and they have managed to make it work.

Chase Field has a full roof.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djeffery (Post 9990175)
That says to me that it will have the ability to be fully enclosed, but that when the roof is open it will only expose the outfield.

Maybe, but they've given zero evidence that is the case.

esquire Jul 12, 2023 3:49 PM

^ Maybe they just haven't released all the info yet. It's impossible to imagine MLB succeeding in Vegas without a climate controlled venue.

Djeffery Jul 12, 2023 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 9990191)
Chase Field has a full roof.



Maybe, but they've given zero evidence that is the case.

In the stories I have seen, they say retractable roof. It just sounds to me like the reverse of the Skydome. Fixed panel over the infield seats rather than the outfield, ostensibly to allow that wide open outfield view of the Strip. What you describe is a partial roof, not a partially retractable roof.

Denscity Jul 12, 2023 11:46 PM

Sounds like B.C. vs Montreal got and an average viewership of 700 000.

thurmas Jul 13, 2023 12:49 AM

Cfl ratings have been solid this year around 550 k or so a week on a medium with massive cable cutting. If they could move Thursday night games to Friday and Saturday would be even stronger.

jonny24 Jul 13, 2023 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9990725)
Cfl ratings have been solid this year around 550 k or so a week on a medium with massive cable cutting. If they could move Thursday night games to Friday and Saturday would be even stronger.

I thought the whole point of Thursday games is that the TV broadcasters wanted them?

esquire Jul 13, 2023 1:55 PM

I like this arrangement of one CFL game a night. It gives each game a bigger stage.

blueandgoldguy Jul 18, 2023 7:03 PM

The Banjo Bowl game in Winnipeg is sold out more or less. Just down to single seats at this point.

HomeInMyShoes Jul 18, 2023 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9990944)
I like this arrangement of one CFL game a night. It gives each game a bigger stage.

I would agree with that. Maybe not so good for the home team's attendance though.

I'm trying to compile some attendance stats. who knows the attendance figure for Saskatchewan Week 6 and Montreal Week 3.

So far outside of the lone Monday game in Toronto it seems to be a push for which day is best for attendance, but Thursday is lower.

thursday 22,045
friday 24,232
saturday 23,673
sunday 22,281
monday 12,473

thurmas Jul 18, 2023 11:21 PM

Victoria in Australia has dropped hosting the 2026 Commonwealth games as costs have tripled to $ 6 billion putting the 2026 games in peril. The organizers of these events be it Olympics Pan Am or Commonwealth really gotta realize they gotta scale these things back as there is no payback hosting these events anymore to make up for the astronomical costs.

esquire Jul 18, 2023 11:54 PM

^ Maybe the Olympics could conceivably be worth it depending on the voodoo economics you apply, but there is no way the lesser events like Pan Am Games could justify those prices. $6 billion is a preposterous amount for the Commonwealth Games... I remember when Winnipeg hosted the Pan Am Games it cost something like $140 million and even that seemed like a crazy number for a two week event... that's probably just the port-a-potty budget now. These events are bloated, out of control and probably deserve to die.

thurmas Jul 19, 2023 1:07 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/9839914/a...nwealth-games/

Australia’s decision to pull out of the 2026 Commonwealth Games because of projected costs has some questioning Alberta’s potential bid to host in 2030.


Premier of Australia’s Victoria state Daniel Andrews said Tuesday that his government agreed to host the multi-sports event, “but not at any cost.”

He said his government initially budgeted $2.6 billion AUS to stage the Games in five regional cities, but recent estimates put the potential cost as high as $7 billion.

Berklon Jul 19, 2023 3:18 PM

7bill to host the Commonwealth Games? That's so worth it!

Remember the last games when it was hosted by that city? What a show that was.
Let's not forget the terrific performance by that one individual who excelled at that one event and won gold. That person's practically a household name now.

Seriously, other than the athletes and their families and the politicians who get a kickback - does anyone really care about these games (or the PanAm games)?

Even the luster of the Olympics seems to be fading.

thurmas Jul 19, 2023 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 9994972)
7bill to host the Commonwealth Games? That's so worth it!

Remember the last games when it was hosted by that city? What a show that was.
Let's not forget the terrific performance by that one individual who excelled at that one event and won gold. That person's practically a household name now.

Seriously, other than the athletes and their families and the politicians who get a kickback - does anyone really care about these games (or the PanAm games)?

Even the luster of the Olympics seems to be fading.

They are a scam. I can't remember any olympic medalist just from the past Tokyo games.

UrbanClimate Jul 20, 2023 4:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 9994365)
I would agree with that. Maybe not so good for the home team's attendance though.

I'm trying to compile some attendance stats. who knows the attendance figure for Saskatchewan Week 6 and Montreal Week 3.

So far outside of the lone Monday game in Toronto it seems to be a push for which day is best for attendance, but Thursday is lower.

thursday 22,045
friday 24,232
saturday 23,673
sunday 22,281
monday 12,473

Week 6 attendance for the CFL game in Regina was just shy of 29,000.

blueandgoldguy Jul 20, 2023 10:36 PM

The one-game per night (mostly) for the CFL appears to be paying off. Ratings are up noticeably from last year.

thurmas Jul 20, 2023 10:57 PM

https://3downnation.com/2023/07/19/n...-ratings-high/

New heights: Week 6 thrillers help CFL set multi-year regular season TV ratings high

The Canadian Football League has set a new multi-year television ratings mark for a slate of regular season games.

Each matchup in Week 6 averaged 62.5 points with 251 scored combined. Three games featured thrilling finishes in the fourth quarter or overtime. It was the highest-rated week on television dating back to Week 2 of the pandemic-shortened 2021 season.

Argonauts’ quarterback Chad Kelly threw a touchdown pass with less than two minutes left to lift Toronto over Montreal 35-27. Redblacks’ rookie Dustin Crum scored a walk-off touchdown to cap an improbable 19-point fourth-quarter comeback versus Winnipeg 31-28. Veteran kicker Rene Paredes hit a 50-yard field goal on the final play in a 33-31 win at Mosaic Stadium.

The Stampeders last-second win over the Roughriders produced the highest-rated English language broadcast so far in 2023. What was most notable was the game pulled in more people in the 25-54 age demographic (230,900) compared to the Blue Jays (228,700) on the same day.

The Major League Baseball All-Star break made for wide-open Thursday sports viewing and the CFL took advantage with the Tiger-Cats and Elks drew nearly 600,000 eyeballs despite the 9 p.m. eastern time kickoff. The Jays returned to action on Friday night and produced 1,050,700 viewers for Sportsnet. The Argos went head-to-head against Canada’s only MLB team and did reasonably well. The Blue Birds had 859,000 onlookers on Saturday afternoon and that game finished in time for Crum to take centre stage on Canadian television.

The three-down league has seen a 46 percent increase in its average weekly English TV ratings from Week 1 to Week 6 and a 41 percent jump with French included.

2023 Week 6 TV ratings:

Thursday
Hamilton at Edmonton — 578,800

Friday
Toronto at Montreal — TSN 480,200 and RDS 169,900 (650,100 total)

Saturday
Winnipeg at Ottawa — 490,800
Calgary at Saskatchewan — 721,600

Total Week 5 average: 567,850 (French included: 610,325)

blueandgoldguy Jul 26, 2023 10:30 PM

Winnipeg Sea Bears have sold out their final game of the regular season. There will likely be around 9,000 in attendance. The Sea Bears have broken the CEBL single game attendance record a few times this season.

Given what I've researched about the other teams in the league, I thought they would have done well to draw 3,000 or so each game. Turns out I was a wee bit off! Apparently the game day atmosphere is something else and has generated positive word-of-mouth in Winnipeg leading to ever-increasing crowds throughout the season.

esquire Jul 26, 2023 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 10000586)
Winnipeg Sea Bears have sold out their final game of the regular season. There will likely be around 9,000 in attendance. The Sea Bears have broken the CEBL single game attendance record a few times this season.

Given what I've researched about the other teams in the league, I thought they would have done well to draw 3,000 or so each game. Turns out I was a wee bit off! Apparently the game day atmosphere is something else and has generated positive word-of-mouth in Winnipeg leading to ever-increasing crowds throughout the season.

The Sea Bears have far exceeded what I thought they'd pull off too. They deliver a very polished, professional look and feel. I've been to a few games and I've been very impressed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxTQGfgWYAAC3xx.jpg:large

I think a playoff sellout crowd of 15,000+ at Canada Life Centre is very much a possibility.

thurmas Jul 26, 2023 10:48 PM

now we just need Chris Jericho getting courtside tickets to be our version of Drake or Spike Lee.

Coldrsx Aug 8, 2023 12:58 PM

The Edmonton Riverhawks broke the West Coast League’s attendance record this season, with 104,748 fans showing up to cheer the team on over 27 games. The team’s final game of the season on Aug. 6 saw more than 5,400 in attendance for its 3-0 loss to the Victoria HarbourCats. “It’s been an unbelievable year,” said general manager Steve Hogle. “We’re really touched and we just love feeling the vibe.” The Riverhawks failed to make the playoffs with a disappointing 18-36 record.
​-Taproot


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.