SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Lowrise/General Developments Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160247)

Groundhog Mar 30, 2017 7:25 PM

For those of you who, like me, lose sleep over the thought of altering one of the most iconic Philly landmarks (at least in a non-historic sense), it looks like you'll continue to toss and turn at night because it's still on the table:

Philly Art Museum begins sweeping starchitect-designed renovations

Quote:

Messing with the steps might still be in the future, though. Museum spokesman Norman Keyes called modifying the steps “an option,” but “something we won’t be turning our attention until the Core Project is done.”
https://billypenn.com/2017/03/30/art...d-renovations/

Granted this is better than getting confirmation that Rocky Steps will be altered, but it's definitely still up in the air.

Also, now that I'm thinking of it, I'd rank the following as the top 5 most iconic non-historic (meaning colonial/revolutionary war historically significant) Philly locations:
1. Rocky Steps
2. Pat's & Genos
3. South Street
4. Rittenhouse Square
5. LOVE Park

Shout outs to Boathouse Row and City Hall as well.

GtownFriend Mar 30, 2017 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christof (Post 7757004)
Wawa is in the building to the right. It isn't going anywhere.

Wawa is in the 4 story building between the Wesley Building and 3 Logan.
This is missing in the first rendering, leaving only a blank wall on the first 5 floors of the Wesley Building. Harder to tell what they've done in the second rendering.

https://www.emporis.com/images/show/...est-corner.jpg

summersm343 Mar 30, 2017 8:31 PM

Love the Art Museum renovations!

It's my dream to have Frank Gehry design a tower in Philadelphia.

jsbrook Mar 30, 2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7756985)
2108-10 Walnut

Still 9 floors

http://www.dalecorp.com/multi-residential/

I'm signed up to get info on this building as I'm potentially interested in purchase there. But nothing yet. I hope they release floorplans and info on unit size and finishes soon.

EDIT: I got a response today. I have set up a call and am looking forward to learning more about this project.

Caruso975 Mar 31, 2017 3:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 7757135)
Does anyone have any insight into why this would happen? Comcast has office space in the Bell Atlantic Tower, but that's not their building and could easily change in the future (although I doubt it will anytime soon). It would make a lot more sense if this was happening with the CTC, even though I think it would be ugly and they are already connected underground.

It does look cool, I just don't understand the logic of why.

This is not real and was directed by neither Comcast nor Liberty. Probably an effort by Brandywine as part of a leasing pitch they where intending to make to Comcast. Skyways in generally are a pretty bad idea. Very anti-urban. They have negatively impacted the street life in Minneapolis. This one in particular would be very bad. Would make the Comcast Center look like it was sucking it's thumb.

Redddog Mar 31, 2017 12:52 PM

No pictures to prove it yet, but things are really ramping up in Old City.

Race and 4th (though ugly AF) is going again, as is the National project on 2nd street. 3rd and market is bricking up the exterior and they're starting the 3rd street townhouse/condo project (middle of the block between Market and Arch). Also, they've excavated the rest of the cemetery at 218 Arch and looks like they're close to finishing the foundation on that project.

Crazy.

1487 Mar 31, 2017 1:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redddog (Post 7757961)

Race and 4th (though ugly AF) is going again, as is the National project on 2nd street. 3rd and market is bricking up the exterior and they're starting the 3rd street townhouse/condo project (middle of the block between Market and Arch). Also, they've excavated the rest of the cemetery at 218 Arch and looks like they're close to finishing the foundation on that project.

Crazy.

I think in general there isn't a lot of coverage of the projects down there by the traditional or internet based media. There is quite a bit of activity down there. Since most are modest sized projects I think they go under the radar.

jjv007 Mar 31, 2017 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 7758010)
I think in general there isn't a lot of coverage of the projects down there by the traditional or internet based media. There is quite a bit of activity down there. Since most are modest sized projects I think they go under the radar.

Well obviously if they're modest projects they would understandably go under the radar lmao.

summersm343 Mar 31, 2017 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redddog (Post 7757961)

Crazy.

Old City is on fire right now.

summersm343 Mar 31, 2017 4:08 PM

Bourse owner to begin work on ground-floor dining and drinking hall

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...ing-space.html

Nova08 Mar 31, 2017 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova08 (Post 7670641)
Conshohocken
After a lot of proposals and ideas thrown around, a development in Conshohocken is finally underway.

Apartment Community Near Train Station Moving Forward with Construction
51 Washington St.
Directly between the river and the Septa train station "shack." As of a few weeks ago when I took the train there was a lot of foundation work underway.

Read More:
http://morethanthecurve.com/apartmen...-construction/

Unfortunately I have to report that there has not been much progress on this development. It is essentially a fenced off muddy hole in the ground with no construction equipment on site.

Philadelcago Mar 31, 2017 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7758142)

Read more here:

This is fantastic, all these long overdue upgrades happening between City Hall and Independence Hall -- and most from out-of-town developers. (even east of Broad / Chestnut St is showing signs of life! Target obv knew the potential)

Market St E will tip soon, once East Market and FOP opens, the rest will fall into place and we will no longer have the "hole in the donut" embarrassment for Center City to steer tourists away from.

Which makes me wonder, in a couple years, once East Market is open, and Fashion Outlets is open, and the new Bourse -- where will attention be drawn the most in terms of the next "What do we need to fix?". At first I thought of Penn's Landing, but we might have that taken care of with so much attention being brought to the new 95 cap almost nearly funded.

Then I thought about far west Market, but with the new Aramark building and Schuylkill Yards, does that even matter?

In short, what would you say is the next "undeveloped/needs some TLC" Center City diamond in the rough?

Parkway Mar 31, 2017 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philadelcago (Post 7758252)
In short, what would you say is the next "undeveloped/needs some TLC" Center City diamond in the rough?

The Loft District/Callowhill/ Eraserhood

While things have been happening up there I think the simmer is about to go full boil. I also think Camden is closer to popping than people realize.

Philadelcago Mar 31, 2017 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parkway (Post 7758266)
I also think Camden is closer to popping than people realize.

I agree - back in 2008 I was living in Society Hill as a Philly newbie and wondered why Camden was so -- Camden -- being so close to Center City. My sister commented that Camden will build up once Center City is overflowing and people are looking for cheaper rent, but still so close to the core. Can't be too long off the way things are pacing.

jjv007 Mar 31, 2017 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philadelcago (Post 7758294)
I agree - back in 2008 I was living in Society Hill as a Philly newbie and wondered why Camden was so -- Camden -- being so close to Center City. My sister commented that Camden will build up once Center City is overflowing and people are looking for cheaper rent, but still so close to the core. Can't be too long off the way things are pacing.

I think in order to be successful Camden shouldn't be over-reliant on Philly but I agree with your point about Philly overflow potentially playing a part in its success. I don't see how Philly is operating particularly robustly at the moment though.

Redddog Mar 31, 2017 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjv007 (Post 7758401)
I think in order to be successful Camden shouldn't be over-reliant on Philly but I agree with your point about Philly overflow potentially playing a part in its success. I don't see how Philly is operating particularly robustly at the moment though.

Philly overflow is essential to it's success and it's proximity to Philly is the primary driver for growth right now. That, and the cheap, tax advantaged rents.

See: Jersey City

jsbrook Mar 31, 2017 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7758142)

Read more here:

Shouldn't just be groundfloor. If feasible they should activate the rooftop and do an upscale restaurant/ bar on the top floor. Offices are well and good for upper floors, but this would be better on the top floor. Could rent it out for private events too. The rooftop views of the Center City skyline are probably stunning.

jsbrook Mar 31, 2017 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redddog (Post 7758403)
Philly overflow is essential to it's success and it's proximity to Philly is the primary driver for growth right now. That, and the cheap, tax advantaged rents.

See: Jersey City

Aspirationally, Camden may one day serve as the equivalent of Philly's Jersey City, and Philly development may foster development in Camden. But at present, not only is Philly overflow and Camden's proximity to Philly not the primary driver of growth in Camden, but little to no such overflow exists. Camden's current growth is being fueled by its own universities like Rutgers and corporate welfare and large incentives that are spurring NJ companies headquartered in other parts of NJ to relocate to Camden.

Redddog Mar 31, 2017 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrook (Post 7758439)
Aspirationally, Camden may one day serve as the equivalent of Philly's Jersey City, and Philly development may foster development in Camden. But at present, not only is Philly overflow and Camden's proximity to Philly not the primary driver of growth in Camden, but little to no such overflow exists. Camden's current growth is being fueled by its own universities like Rutgers and corporate welfare and large incentives that are spurring NJ companies headquartered in other parts of NJ to relocate to Camden.

I agree. Camden isn't growing because Philly is overflowing. Camden seems to me to be developing because 1. there is significant tax benefit offered to those who are willing to pioneer 2. it is ridiculously cheap and 3. Because developers are betting that, like what happened in Jersey City, one day Philly WILL be overflowing and people will look to Camden to live more affordably.

It's not there now. But investors always come before that happens. It's why they call it an investment.

jsbrook Mar 31, 2017 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redddog (Post 7758477)
I agree. Camden isn't growing because Philly is overflowing. Camden seems to me to be developing because 1. there is significant tax benefit offered to those who are willing to pioneer 2. it is ridiculously cheap and 3. Because developers are betting that, like what happened in Jersey City, one day Philly WILL be overflowing and people will look to Camden to live more affordably.

It's not there now. But investors always come before that happens. It's why they call it an investment.

I'm sure bets on Philly's longterm upswing are part of it, yes.