SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   the beaches of your city (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240070)

jd3189 Aug 26, 2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Belt (Post 8669080)
Southern California waters -- you can trunk it right now -- I was in it yesterday afternoon 67-70 degrees. It's still much cooler than last two summers at this time where it was 75-77+, whereas Monterey's August monthly average is in the 50s, although I think they do have some spots reporting in around 60 right now.

Yeah, I can deal with those cooler temps because of acclimation.

Monterey Bay was pretty interesting. The fog just lingers all morning and even appears again sometimes at night. It keeps everything moderate to cool.

Sun Belt Aug 26, 2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 8669747)
Yeah, I can deal with those cooler temps because of acclimation.

Monterey Bay was pretty interesting. The fog just lingers all morning and even appears again sometimes at night. It keeps everything moderate to cool.

Up until about 3-4 days ago, it's been like that down the entire coast this year, I think it's the lingering effects from such a cold wet rainy winter pattern. On Thursday, I had my wipers on driving to work from the dense marine layer mist.

Now it's warm and humid, like it should be.

hipster duck Aug 27, 2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8669273)
it's certainly not miami beach or anything, but that's still a respectable amount of sand swimming beaches for a great lakes city.

especially one on the "wrong" side of the lake where the water currents tend to erode away sand beaches. the west coast of michigan has it easy, the sand just piles up naturally over there.

Toronto is also on the “wrong” side for beaches, but we have a few good ones. The 3 heavily-urbanized Great Lakes all have a built up/industrial coast and a rural, beachy coast.

This year, however, none of us had good beaches on account of record high water levels.

Steely Dan Aug 27, 2019 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster duck (Post 8670049)
This year, however, none of us had good beaches on account of record high water levels.

some beaches in chicago have been highly impacted by the near record high water levels, and others have been fine.

of the 3 beaches closest to us that we go to (hollywood, foster, and montrose) only montrose has been negatively impacted, with much of the former beach now transformed into a lagoon. hollywood and foster are still fine.

we also did a beach vacation over michigan with the kiddos back in july, and oval beach in saugatuck was still totally fine.

edale Aug 27, 2019 6:16 PM

I've heard the beaches in Chicago are pretty gross, and there is often high levels of e coli in the water. When my sister was living in Chicago, she always told me to avoid the beaches (at least near downtown) because I'd get sick.

A quick Google search says this is correct.
https://news.wttw.com/2019/07/23/stu...o-area-beaches

202_Cyclist Aug 27, 2019 6:23 PM

The New York Times had a good article about a decade ago about surfing in Cleveland.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/us/10surf.html

pj3000 Aug 27, 2019 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 8670375)
I've heard the beaches in Chicago are pretty gross, and there is often high levels of e coli in the water. When my sister was living in Chicago, she always told me to avoid the beaches (at least near downtown) because I'd get sick.

Too much fertilizer on the fields & overflowing sanitary/storm sewer combos + big rains in the summer months = poopy water

It happens everywhere. They would have to close half of the beaches on the Atlantic coast for the same reason if they monitored the same way they did near Chicago.

Steely Dan Aug 27, 2019 6:53 PM

Quote:

i've been going to chicago beaches every summer for the past 43 years.

they're not pristine like some untouched stretch of coast in southern chile, but they are not gross either.

the e coli hysteria is mostly just that. i swam in that same exact water for decades before they even bothered to start testing for that shit, and it never made me sick.

hell, when i was a kid, on summer break i damn near lived at the beach, swimming in that water every single day.

your sister was grossly misinformed.

202_Cyclist Aug 27, 2019 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8670429)

they're not pristine like some untouched stretch of coast in southern chile, but they are not gross either.

the e coli hysteria is mostly just that. i swam in that same exact water for decades before they even bothered to start testing for that shit, and it never made me sick.

hell, when i was a kid, on summer break i damn near lived at the beach, swimming in that water every single day.

In fairness, there is a lot we can do to improve the water quality of our oceans and rivers.

https://www.hillnow.com/2016/04/22/c...e-of-dog-poop/

Steely Dan Aug 27, 2019 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist (Post 8670438)
In fairness, there is a lot we can do to improve the water quality of our oceans and rivers.

of course, anything in this world can always be improved.

but my point is that the e.coli menace only became a menace once they started testing for it.

prior to that, no one noticed, no one cared.

this notion that chicago beaches are gross and that you'll get sick if you swim in the water is laughable.

i've been swimming in that water problem-free literally for decades. maybe i've just built up an immunity? :shrug:

jd3189 Aug 27, 2019 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Belt (Post 8669760)
Up until about 3-4 days ago, it's been like that down the entire coast this year, I think it's the lingering effects from such a cold wet rainy winter pattern. On Thursday, I had my wipers on driving to work from the dense marine layer mist.

Now it's warm and humid, like it should be.

Hopefully the more humid weather patterns continue for the next few years. It's the main reason California's weather is slightly better than Florida's. Back there, the afternoon thunderstorms and showers help block out the heat from the sun. In the Inland Empire, those June glooms and other foggy formations kept this place from constantly feeling like the surface of hell earlier this summer.

edale Aug 27, 2019 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8670429)

Eh, the beaches are extremely urban and it rains all the time in Chicago, so I'm sure there is quite a bit of undesirable crap in that water. In LA, they say not to go into the ocean if its rained in the past 3 days. Since it doesn't rain in the summer in LA, it's not much of an issue. But following that same rule would take quite a few days out of the already short swim season in Chicago.

I'm not much one for swimming in a lake- prefer pools or the ocean- so I never felt that bypassing the lake beach was a big sacrifice while visiting Chicago. There is certainly plenty of other stuff to keep occupied there. I love looking at the lake and seeing the turquoise and blue colors as the backdrop to the city, but I don't think of the lake as being great for swimming. Up in northern Michigan, sure, but Chicago? Idk about that. Also wouldn't really be down for swimming in Lake Erie off of downtown Cleveland. Too much crap (sometimes literally) and uncontrolled runoff to deal with.

Steely Dan Aug 27, 2019 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 8670527)
Eh, the beaches are extremely urban and it rains all the time in Chicago, so I'm sure there is quite a bit of undesirable crap in that water. In LA, they say not to go into the ocean if its rained in the past 3 days. Since it doesn't rain in the summer in LA, it's not much of an issue. But following that same rule would take quite a few days out of the already short swim season in Chicago.

uhhh........ the chicago river was reversed 120 years ago, so rain that falls in chicago is diverted down the des plaines river and eventually into the mississippi, not into lake michigan, so that's generally not an issue. the river was reversed explicitly to keep all of that crap out of lake michigan, the source of chicago's drinking water. if it's good enough for 9 million people to drink and bathe in everyday, it's good enough to swim in.

every once in a while chicago's massive deep tunnel system is overwhelmed by extremely large rain events, and untreated water will back-up into the river and they end up opening control locks in downtown chicago and up in wilmette to release excess water into the lake. when that happens they do close area beaches for a couple days until lake currents can dilute that run-off to safe levels, but that's typically only once, maybe twice a summer.

Quote:

I'm not much one for swimming in a lake- prefer pools or the ocean

i'm the complete opposite. i much prefer lake swimming over any other kind - no salt, no chlorine, no sharks - just beautiful fresh water, with nothing that can eat ya.

Quote:

I don't think of the lake as being great for swimming. Up in northern Michigan, sure, but Chicago? Idk about that.

that's super. literally millions of chicagoans disagree with you.

if it was actually something to be worried about, there's no way in hell i would let my children swim in the lake all the time.

but be afraid, be very afraid, your sister sure has some amazing hold over you.

next time you're in the windy city, be sure not to drink any tap water because, ya know, scary, scary stuff.

the urban politician Aug 27, 2019 8:28 PM

I personally swam as a kid in Lake Michigan, and my kids have as well.

None of us have grown a third eye so far

edale Aug 27, 2019 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8670540)

but be afraid, be very afraid, your sister sure has some amazing hold over you.

next time you're in the windy city, be sure not to drink any tap water because, ya know, scary, scary stuff.

Not sure why you're being so defensive about this. You love all things Chicago, so of course the 'beaches' there are perfect and amazing and wonderful. I have no desire to swim in a dirty lake (with known high levels of e coli) immediately adjacent to a big city's downtown. I wouldn't want to swim in San Diego Bay, Biscayne Bay, or the frickin' Hudson River, either. Hell, people swim in the Ohio river right outside of Cincinnati and I think that's incredibly disgusting. But people do it and they haven't grown third eyes, so jokes on me I guess!

I think it's an issue of having different standards :shrug:

pj3000 Aug 27, 2019 8:42 PM

Biscayne Bay can often be rather disgusting.

Steely Dan Aug 27, 2019 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 8670565)
You love all things Chicago, so of course the 'beaches' there are perfect and amazing and wonderful.

i never said any of that shit.

i just strongly disagreed with your sister's admonishment of "don't swim in lake michigan, you'll get sick if you do".

that's 100% grade-A fear-mongering nonsense.

if it were true, our family would have been sick all summer long because we go to the beach as often as our schedule allows.

craigs Aug 27, 2019 8:53 PM

Person 1: My sister lives in City X and says the beaches are deadly
Person 2: My family and I have lived in City X for decades, and we swim at the beach often in the summer, and nobody has died.
Person 1: You're biased! You're a homer! My sister is the one true authority on City X, and would never be misinformed or exaggerate a threat!

Handro Aug 27, 2019 9:10 PM

Chicago is the only city to use same day DNA testing for water quality on our beaches.

Comparing Lake Michigan to the Hudson River is asinine. One of the world's greatest marvels of civil engineering took place here 120 years ago when the Chicago River was reversed, thus pulling waste away from the lake and keeping it clean. If one is simply afraid of swimming in natural bodies of water, that's one thing. But to be afraid of Lake Michigan over, say, the Gulf Coast--which has seen a recent uptick in cases of flesh eating bacteria--is silly. And I don't see many people scared to swim at Panama City Beach.

pj3000 Aug 27, 2019 9:16 PM

“Hypodermics on the (Jersey) shore”

JManc Aug 27, 2019 10:01 PM

I'd think Lake Michigan would be fairly clean due to its huge size and ability to 'clean' itself compared to smaller lakes; Onondaga Lake near Syracuse for example.

pj3000 Aug 27, 2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8670683)
I'd think Lake Michigan would be fairly clean due to its huge size and ability to 'clean' itself compared to smaller lakes; Onondaga Lake near Syracuse for example.

As I’m sure you know, the Great Lakes are really a single Lake that is constantly turning over its water. Lake Erie does it the quickest by far, being the shallowest by far. I think it completely changes it’s water every 25 years

pj3000 Aug 27, 2019 10:12 PM

And I’ve read the Skaneateles Lake in the finger lakes is one of the cleanest in the nation. Which is interesting because Onondaga is one of the most polluted (chemically, I think).

Steely Dan Aug 27, 2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8670683)
I'd think Lake Michigan would be fairly clean due to its huge size and ability to 'clean' itself

yes, hugeness is a part of it. lake michigan, like the other great lakes, has strong currents that make it operate more like a sea than your typical small lake, and they help keep the water moving. churn and dilute.

and with the invasion of the zebra and quagga mussels, it is said that the total volume of lake michigan's water can be filtered about once per week by the trillions of those little filter feeding bastards.

that's roughly 50 total filtering cycles per year. it's a big reason why lake michigan's water has gotten so clear and blue over recent decades.

pj3000 Aug 27, 2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8670697)
yes, hugeness is a part of it. lake michigan, like the other great lakes, has strong currents that make it operate more like a sea than your typical small lake, and they help keep the water moving. churn and dilute.

and with the invasion of the zebra and quagga mussels, it is said that the total volume of lake michigan's water can be filtered about once per week by the trillions of those little filter feeding bastards.

that's roughly 50 total filtering cycles per year. it's a big reason why lake michigan's water has gotten so clear and blue over recent decades.

Yeah, I was up on Presque Isle in Erie last weekend. The water is fucking gorgeously clear and turquoise with those little Asian invaders’ help

JManc Aug 27, 2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8670691)
As I’m sure you know, the Great Lakes are really a single Lake that is constantly turning over its water. Lake Erie does it the quickest by far, being the shallowest by far. I think it completely changes it’s water every 25 years

That I didn't know. I knew they were connected but never knew that functioned as one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8670695)
And I’ve read the Skaneateles Lake in the finger lakes is one of the cleanest in the nation. Which is interesting because Onondaga is one of the most polluted (chemically, I think).

Onondaga was the dirtiest in the world at one point. They've finally got to a point where you can now jetski or swin in parts.

edale Aug 28, 2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 8670585)
Person 1: My sister lives in City X and says the beaches are deadly
Person 2: My family and I have lived in City X for decades, and we swim at the beach often in the summer, and nobody has died.
Person 1: You're biased! You're a homer! My sister is the one true authority on City X, and would never be misinformed or exaggerate a threat!

Here's an article from a month ago about 4 out of 6 beaches in Evanston having to close because of unsafe levels of e-coli in the water, but go off.

"Four of the six beaches–from Lee Street on the south to Lincoln Street at Northwestern–are closed due to high e. coli levels in the water. Those levels likely rose because of heavy downpours on Thursday that washed the bacteria from shore."
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/07...eaches-closed/

Steely Dan Aug 28, 2019 2:38 PM

^ you can easily find articles about e. coli beach closures from coast to coast.

apparently all beaches are now "gross".

FWIW, we've gone to foster/hollywood beaches here in chicago about a half dozen times this summer. not once have the beaches been closed because of e. coli, and chicago park district rigorously tests its beach water daily (FAR more frequently than your typical beach).

and even then, i'm still very skeptical of this so-called e.coli menace. back when i was a kid in the 70s/80s, they didn't even test the water for that shit, and with the ridiculous amount of time i spent swimming in lake michigan back then, i'm sure that i swam in plenty of high e.coli water without issue. i probably built up a resistance to it.

my family (along with millions of other chicagoans) will continue disregarding your sister's "advice".

woodrow Aug 28, 2019 3:28 PM

Quote:

That is a news article about a study done by an ADVOCACY organization that found half of the 2600 beaches they sampled in 29 states & Puerto Rico to be unsafe! 1300!! Best not go to ANY beach! Seems a little fear mongering.
Note in the article that Chicago Park District questions their testing methodology and that CPD tests every day.

This is not to discount the goals the group advocates. Cleaner water solutions are super important and Chicago is working (too slowly perhaps) on newer, better ways of dealing with runoff. There are days that I certainly wouldn't go swimming in Lake Michigan near the city, but to not go in due to a generalized fear e.coli is limiting yourself from a terrific experience - floating in the water and looking at one of the most gorgeous cities in the world.

The North One Aug 28, 2019 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 8670833)
Here's an article from a month ago about 4 out of 6 beaches in Evanston having to close because of unsafe levels of e-coli in the water, but go off.

Oh bless you, doing the important hard google search work for us. You're reaching crawfordian levels of trolling, give it a rest.

Oh lookey here https://ktla.com/2019/07/26/nearly-6...h-among-worst/

:crazy:

Steely Dan Aug 28, 2019 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8671430)

I've heard the beaches in california are pretty gross. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who said to avoid the beaches in california because you'd get sick.

The North One Aug 28, 2019 4:18 PM

Same, I watched a PBS doc on Los Angeles area beaches once in 2005. In a short summary it's an irredeemable radioactive cesspool that will never recover. I would NOT dip my paws or allow my precious kiddos in those deathly waters. I much prefer piss filled chlorine eye-burning pool water.

Maldive Aug 28, 2019 4:22 PM

Steely has been pretty funny in this thread.

(Parts of) Southern California: the big lie is bikinis surfing (movies etc). Spent many trips and months in Del Mar (San Diego-ish). Never saw a surfer without a wet suit (I sure wore one).

Ocean currents are to blame apparently but supposedly there is a month or so when the ocean warms up after June gloom.

I did find warmish water in L.A. once.

Florida/Atlantic beaches win on the comfort zone scale... but then there's the hurricane quotient.

Pick ur beach paradise ;-) Chicago? San Diego? Miami Beach?

I'd choose Italy (Amalfi) which I admit is not in North America.

homebucket Aug 28, 2019 4:27 PM

Interesting.

In Illinois, the top 10 "unsafe" beaches were considered unsafe for a range of 84-96% of sampling days. On average, Cook County beaches were considered unsafe for a staggering 83% of sampling days.

In California, the top 10 "unsafe" beaches had a wide range of unsafe sampling days, at 17-91%. The county with the highest % of unsafe sampling days was San Mateo County at 32%. LA County actually did quite well, with only 10% of sampling days being considered unsafe.

Steely Dan Aug 28, 2019 4:32 PM

^ faulty methodology used in that study.

Quote:

"The Chicago Park District tested 19 lakefront beaches for Enterococci bacteria seven days a week during the 2018 beach season using a rapid analysis method, and not the culture-based method cited in the report," the statement read. "The rapid analysis method looks for DNA in the water instead of counting live bacteria cells, and produces results in 2-4 hours instead of 18-24 hours.

"Unfortunately the report evaluated Chicago beach data using the wrong unit of measurement," the statement continued. "When using the correct unit of measurement, South Shore Beach, for example, had 26 exceedance days out of 100 sampling days for the 2018 beach season, and not 93 days out of 98 samples, as the report cites."

The Park District also said Chicago is the "only major city that performs same-day, DNA-based recreational water quality monitoring in the United States," according to the statement.

10023 Aug 28, 2019 4:37 PM

Of course Lake Michigan is dirtier than the Pacific Ocean. It’s both much smaller and it’s fresh water.

pj3000 Aug 28, 2019 4:47 PM

The Pacific Ocean is filled with plastic heaps the size of Texas in two places. I would never swim in the Pacific because I could swallow plastic particles and they would poison me or get caught in my organs and I would die or a plastic bag would get stuck on my head and I would suffocate and die or a sharp shard of plastic could be carried by a wave and cut me and I would bleed and it would attract sharks and they would be attracted by my blood in the water and they would attack me and eat me and I would die. Scary!

SteveD Aug 28, 2019 5:06 PM

I was just about to unsubscribe to this thread but it keeps getting better and better.... :cheers:

Handro Aug 28, 2019 5:21 PM

I only swim in the bathtub and even then I use generous amounts of chlorine.

JManc Aug 28, 2019 5:25 PM

For all you people freaking out over e.coli, amoebas, sharks and plastic...go to the pool! Oh wait, people piss there...

Steely Dan Aug 28, 2019 5:28 PM

^ that's why we only go to Pi Pi's Splashtown.

they test their water, so they know it's 100% piss.

pj3000 Aug 28, 2019 5:39 PM

There's nothing I find more refreshing on a 95-degree summer's day than diving into an "extra warm" public swimming pool, especially later in the afternoon once the surface of the water has that beautiful oily shimmer of sunscreen, hair, and bodily fluids on it.

Boisebro Aug 28, 2019 7:10 PM

I'm never swimming again.

ever.

craigs Aug 28, 2019 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8671544)
Of course Lake Michigan is dirtier than the Pacific Ocean. It’s both much smaller and it’s fresh water.

I have never been in the water in Chicago, but I can say for certain the Pacific, just five miles from where I'm typing this, is filthy.

It's filthy at the shore, and it's filthy way out where most of us never see it. That guy who recently paddle boarded from San Francisco to Hawaii said he saw floating plastic the entire way (that's some 2,300+ miles). One can only imagine what the water, air, and sun are breaking that plastic down into.

edale Aug 28, 2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8671503)
Same, I watched a PBS doc on Los Angeles area beaches once in 2005. In a short summary it's an irredeemable radioactive cesspool that will never recover. I would NOT dip my paws or allow my precious kiddos in those deathly waters. I much prefer piss filled chlorine eye-burning pool water.

God you're pathetic.

LA21st Aug 28, 2019 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8671561)
The Pacific Ocean is filled with plastic heaps the size of Texas in two places. I would never swim in the Pacific because I could swallow plastic particles and they would poison me or get caught in my organs and I would die or a plastic bag would get stuck on my head and I would suffocate and die or a sharp shard of plastic could be carried by a wave and cut me and I would bleed and it would attract sharks and they would be attracted by my blood in the water and they would attack me and eat me and I would die. Scary!

Florida has flesh eating bacteria off its beaches.:runaway:

pj3000 Aug 29, 2019 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 8672030)
Florida has flesh eating bacteria off its beaches.:runaway:

https://media.giphy.com/media/2GFxyy00xG3Sw/giphy.gif

10023 Aug 29, 2019 5:55 AM

Meh. Like showering in a developing country, just keep your eyes and mouth closed underwater and you’ll be fine.

Sun Belt Aug 29, 2019 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maldive (Post 8671510)
Steely has been pretty funny in this thread.

(Parts of) Southern California: the big lie is bikinis surfing (movies etc). Spent many trips and months in Del Mar (San Diego-ish). Never saw a surfer without a wet suit (I sure wore one).

Ocean currents are to blame apparently but supposedly there is a month or so when the ocean warms up after June gloom.

I did find warmish water in L.A. once.

Florida/Atlantic beaches win on the comfort zone scale... but then there's the hurricane quotient.

Pick ur beach paradise ;-) Chicago? San Diego? Miami Beach?

I'd choose Italy (Amalfi) which I admit is not in North America.

California waters are cold, they're not like the East Coast south of Long Island.

Most years you don't need a wet suit from mid July - September. The nice thing about a wet suit is you don't have to worry about a sun burn.

sopas ej Aug 29, 2019 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Belt (Post 8672426)
California waters are cold

And that's a good thing. That's what keeps us from getting hurricanes.