SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187593)

flipper316 Jan 11, 2020 8:14 PM

Honestly what a waste of money for some interchange when there are no plans in our lifetimes to make the 1 a full freeway from Kamloops to Alberta.

Dengler Avenue Jan 11, 2020 8:19 PM

You actually have a point. Plus it's entering the heart of the town too (unless we are okay with tearing down buildings to make way for a freeway - definitely not feasible in a city but maybe still doable in a small town?). B.C. should have proceeded with a giant roundabout instead of cheap traffic lights or expensive interchanges.

Metro-One Jan 12, 2020 3:03 AM

Wait, what? I’m confused...

You guys always complain about BC building highways sub standard...

You want the #1 to be upgraded...

Then, when an interchange is built and the #1 is being upgraded, it’s bad???

I don’t follow...

I guess the two interchanges being built in Chase are also bad?

Along with the interchanges proposed west of this current project?

Seems to me the province is upgrading the #1 to semi freeway standards between Salmon Arm and Kamloops via a mix of interchanges and protected T intersections with the use of frontage roads.

So make up your minds. What do you want? As much of the the #1 to be free-flow as possible or not??

Dengler Avenue Jan 12, 2020 3:23 AM

Crap my bad. I follow the wind easily. Personally for me,
What do I wanna see?
TCH with 4 lanes through and through, from Kamloops to Yoho.
Do I want to see any lights?
No. That said, on top of the proposed ones in Chase, I also want the ones through Valleyview done.
Does this interchange go towards what I want to see?
It’s a good question. Like I said, it depends on what’s happening with TCH within Salmon Arm. Are we gonna leave it as is or build overpasses and convert key intersections into RIRO’s, just like Highway 11 between TCH and Gladys Avenue in Abby?
If it’s the latter, though it seems unlikely, I’m also for this interchange to be built.
If it’s the former, it’s as if we are building it for nothing. We may as well build a 2-lane traffic circle and make room for the future freeway to go around town from the south then east to join the current alignment past Canoe.

To me, a tolled freeway across Shuswap that joins the 4-lane from Malakwa to Balmoral belongs in the category of fantasy.

craner Jan 14, 2020 5:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 8797066)
Wait, what? I’m confused...

You guys always complain about BC building highways sub standard...

You want the #1 to be upgraded...

Then, when an interchange is built and the #1 is being upgraded, it’s bad???

I don’t follow...

I guess the two interchanges being built in Chase are also bad?

Along with the interchanges proposed west of this current project?

Seems to me the province is upgrading the #1 to semi freeway standards between Salmon Arm and Kamloops via a mix of interchanges and protected T intersections with the use of frontage roads.

So make up your minds. What do you want? As much of the the #1 to be free-flow as possible or not??

I’m all for any improvements that can be made ... but I’m often cynical and frustrated with the slow pace at which they happen.
Bottom line: I’m happy these interchanges are being built. :tup:

I wish there was a way to connect Salmon Arm to the highway 97 junction with the TCH east of Kamloops to lop off the big arc to the north ... but alas ... there is probably a mountain in the way.

I do think they should build a by-pass around Salmon Arm rather than going through it but I don’t know how feasible that is either.

Apey Jan 16, 2020 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 8796618)

Looks like the interchange is really moving forward! Do we know when the completion date is expected? Meaning by summer, for travel? :)

Bobert Jan 25, 2020 3:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipper316 (Post 8796827)
Honestly what a waste of money for some interchange when there are no plans in our lifetimes to make the 1 a full freeway from Kamloops to Alberta.

Not even our lifetimes times 2 I'd assume!

For country-wide logistics we would be better off investing in the rail corridor. HWY 1 needs safer road design before we begin even thinking off freeways (primarily for flow purposes). Twinning the entire section to Alberta by itself will have a huge positive effect.

Metro-One Feb 4, 2020 12:27 PM

So, it looks like on the 5th we are going to get some info on a few potential major highway projects across the province.

First is potential upgrades to the 97 through Lake Country. Will be interesting to see what they propose.

Second is the George Massey Tunnel project. Fingers crossed for anything reasonable on that one.

Third is a new flyover (interchange) on highway 17 at Keating Cross Rd just outside of Victoria. Hope that also comes with closing some local access to the highway.

And finally just want you to know that I got a reply from the ministry of transportation after voicing my concern over the use of signalized intersections instead of interchanges on the Peachland highway 97 project.

If you want to see it built right I suggest that you all do the same. We all know that "upgraded to interchanges later" may never happen. Best to build it right the first time.

Also show support for using the existing corridor. Sadly the bypass option connects with the Okanagan connector quite far west of the existing 97 / connector interchange, creating quite a large detour for through traffic (and I was told there is no overarching plan to extend said bypass further beyond the Connector through West Kelowna / to a new second crossing)

The lack of long term planning / putting all these projects and pieces together frustrates me.

So the best option is the existing corridor option, but again, show your support for interchanges! Email them.

Here is the email address:

peachland97study@gov.bc.ca

flipper316 Feb 7, 2020 6:49 AM

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...section#276521

Dengler Avenue Feb 7, 2020 12:57 PM

Most importantly, this: https://www.pc.gc.ca/-/media/pn-np/b...526.1581079983

Slide 12 shows a traffic light at Field Access Road, mainly because of the trail. To me, it’s absurd to make cross country traffic stop just because 1 or 2 people wanna cross the street. It should be a diamond interchange there. No space? Then get rid of the median barrier so that part of TCH will be like a super 4.

Edit: https://parks-parcs.simplesurvey.com...C-8CEF2CF7C910

Fill out the survey here. I’ve voiced my concern.

Metro-One Feb 7, 2020 1:37 PM

Wow, wait, Alberta gets interchanges but BC gets fucking traffic lights?

Jesus fucking Christ even the Feds fuck over BC highways.

Also submitted my comment for an interchange at Field.

Outside of that, I will be pretty amazed if they twin 40km of Highway in BC as a single phase...

If so, soon it will be a decent standard highway from the border to Golden.

Dengler Avenue Feb 7, 2020 1:41 PM

I was a bit suspicious when even the first 6 km into B.C. took on the same design as the remaining segments in B.C. Well, like I said, fill out the survey.

Metro-One Feb 7, 2020 1:55 PM

The first 6km aren’t bad. It’s tight terrain and understanding the challenges in BC I am okay with a mix of interchanges and protected T access points. Traffic lights on any major highway upgrade though I am not okay with.

Dengler Avenue Feb 7, 2020 2:04 PM

While we’re at it, we should pressure B.C. to convert the lights through Valleyview (Kamloops) into interchanges too, again, even if that means undivided 4 lane overpasses. It seems to me that B.C. drivers are able to handle undivided 4 lanes with a speed limit of 100 km/h.

Metro-One Feb 7, 2020 2:13 PM

Been barking up that tree for a while.

A bypass was actually proposed (seen the schematics) but as of last year the province gave up their right to that reserved corridor. Honestly it doesn’t matter too much because the existing corridor is suited just fine for interchanges and frontage roads (it already has frontage roads in most areas along that stretch)

That stretch of traffic lights could easily be converted into two interchanges, a couple right in and outs, and maybe an overpass or two.

Dengler Avenue Feb 7, 2020 2:21 PM

I’m more concerned about Salmon Arms, i.e. how to make a freeway out of the existing section without causing too much outrage. Ditto for Sicamous too.

That’s why I wrote some comments that surprised you last time. In my head, I was like, “What’s the point of an interchange if the rest isn’t gonna be of freeway standard? We might as well put a roundabout in place in that case.”

I do agree with your view on Valleyview though. Again, it’s mainly because we’re already invested so much in the east end of Kamloops that it no longer makes sense to bypass the upgraded sections.

kev_427 Feb 8, 2020 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 8824002)
Been barking up that tree for a while.

A bypass was actually proposed (seen the schematics) but as of last year the province gave up their right to that reserved corridor. Honestly it doesn’t matter too much because the existing corridor is suited just fine for interchanges and frontage roads (it already has frontage roads in most areas along that stretch)

That stretch of traffic lights could easily be converted into two interchanges, a couple right in and outs, and maybe an overpass or two.

The city of Kamloops still has plans for the Valleyview Bypass as of 2018, (https://kamloops.civicweb.net/document/81111) but I agree that it would probably be better just to upgrade the current alignment. Just have to knock over a few gas stations and former Pizza Huts.

kev_427 Feb 8, 2020 2:47 AM

Any thoughts about the newly released interchange plans in Lake Country? The only issue I have is too many RIROs. Also I would prefer Berry Rd was an overpass.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dr..._study_r10.pdf

Dengler Avenue Feb 8, 2020 1:01 PM

The email address for voicing your input is in #1308, by the way.
Which option is the best? I know it’s definitely not the last one.

splashflash Feb 9, 2020 11:50 PM

[QUOTE=Metro-One;8820178]So, it looks like on the 5th we are going to get some info on a few potential major highway projects across the province.

First is potential upgrades to the 97 through Lake Country. Will be interesting to see what they propose.

Second is the George Massey Tunnel project. Fingers crossed for anything reasonable on that one.

Third is a new flyover (interchange) on highway 17 at Keating Cross Rd just outside of Victoria. Hope that also comes with closing some local access to the highway.
/QUOTE]

I did not see anything on the new one-way flyover, but hope the project could get started earlier than 2021.