SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive] (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=335)
-   -   Will There Be an Olympic Hockey Riot? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178826)

sacrifice333 Feb 21, 2010 2:15 AM

I would be pleasantly surprised if there wasn't a hockey riot... win or loss.

SpongeG Feb 21, 2010 2:23 AM

global didn't give much news but said there was a large fight downtown and thats where the stabbings occured

whatnext Feb 21, 2010 7:05 AM

VPD shut down liquor stores downtown at 7pm Saturday. Obviously a sign they're getting worried.
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...s-this-evening

Yume-sama Feb 21, 2010 7:09 AM

Hmm. I went to one later than that. THAT would have caused riots :P

EDIT: Oh, wow. I'm lost :P I thought today was Sunday... I actually went to that exact liquor store lastnight ;) There was a line out the door.

Which is kind of sad.

whatnext Feb 21, 2010 7:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume-sama (Post 4710383)
Hmm. I went to one later than that. THAT would have caused riots :P

EDIT: Oh, wow. I'm lost :P I thought today was Sunday... I actually went to that exact liquor store lastnight ;) There was a line out the door.

Which is kind of sad.

Off-sales are apparently still happening, which kind of defeats the purpose of the liquor store closure. If the weather turns nasty (and it's supposed to), it might dampen the excesses as well. Lets hope.

SpongeG Feb 21, 2010 9:43 AM

I wondered what was going on i passed a store and it had a sign that said the city ordered them to shut down I thought why? I saw plenty of people drinking though and i didn't see police stop anyone not when i was there and lots of pot smell everywhere

also surprised to see some small kids with i assume their partying parents walking granville at midnight

Distill3d Feb 21, 2010 9:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacrifice333 (Post 4710038)
I would be pleasantly surprised if there wasn't a hockey riot... win or loss.

I think it depends on who plays in the gold medal game. I mean, we're all expecting Canada to play. Its wonderful that we're all united on that front, and it would be an absolutely shameful embarrassment if we didn't get that far on home soil. After all, we DO have home ice advantage. However, to play devils advocate here for a moment, what happens if Canada DOESN'T play for a medal? I know, we don't want to think about that, but its possible. It COULD just happen?

Personally though, I think we're in medal contention for sure. I just think it depends on the out come of the game. If we win gold, there won't be a riot. If we win silver and lose the the USA, there will be a riot. I think thats the only country we can't lose against in order to keep the peace.

...that said, if we do lose the gold to the USA, I'll be the dork that loots Chapters :banana: :tup: :haha:

SpongeG Feb 21, 2010 9:53 AM

there was one moment tonight when i thought a fight would break out on granville a group of USA guys chanting USA were quickly surrounded and drowned out by guys yelling CANADA back at them but it didn;t turn into anything but a yelling match the USA people seemed pretty cool about it the canadians were the more aggressive

cabotp Feb 21, 2010 10:35 AM

Funny things about riots is usually it is not that many people who start it. Buit the general crowd joins in that makes it worse. So if the general crowd turns against the people who are trying to start the riot, then the riot will not grow

Personally I'd love to see a crowd beat up a bunch of idiots who figure it is cool to try and start a riot :)

SpongeG Feb 21, 2010 10:38 AM

unfortunately the crowd is full of idiots

cabotp Feb 21, 2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4710508)
unfortunately the crowd is full of idiots

Hence forth why I feel the police should just shoot and kill anyone involved in a riot. No questions asked. I know it cruel, but that is how I feel.

Distill3d Feb 21, 2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabotp (Post 4710511)
Hence forth why I feel the police should just shoot and kill anyone involved in a riot. No questions asked. I know it cruel, but that is how I feel.

I'm glad this isn't Iran...

cabotp Feb 21, 2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Distill3d (Post 4710512)
I'm glad this isn't Iran...

:haha: You may or may not agree with me. Which is fine. But I do feel once an idiot always an idiot. Hence forth and idiot's life is worth nothing.

SpongeG Feb 21, 2010 11:09 AM

i was standing at robson square to watch the 9:30 show thing and there was some east indians beside me and one had a Canada jersey on - the other guy bought a Russia one along with some russia stuff at the bay i assumer and some loud mouth guy kept saying anti-russian things out loud and it was so stupid like keep your idiot comments to yourself

Distill3d Feb 21, 2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabotp (Post 4710515)
:haha: You may or may not agree with me. Which is fine. But I do feel once an idiot always an idiot. Hence forth and idiot's life is worth nothing.

:haha: yeah, you're damn straight I disagree with you. The problem with that idea is what happens if you happen to be in the right place at the wrong time. Like, you're minding your own business, then a riot breaks out, and you have to push your way out of the crowds and a sniper shoots you? Or, what if you're just one of the innocent people out having a good time celebrating and the riot breaks out around you? I mean, I get what you're trying to say, but we have the system in place that we do to deal with riots so as not to harm innocent bystanders.

NewfBC Feb 21, 2010 4:40 PM

Quote:

Pot calling the kettle black?

Ron.

subdude Feb 21, 2010 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabotp (Post 4710511)

Woah cabotp, lots of calls for violence this morning from you in this thread and others.... maybe you should layoff the coffee and video games....

Mininari Feb 21, 2010 8:30 PM

I have to say, I am somewhat worried about this possibility too: see, my wife and I were just down in Mexico, and all we got there was CNN and BBC (no NBC). Anyways, they were ONLY showing negative stories about the olympics... BBC showed a scathing story on the downtown eastside and the "worst drug problem in North America" ... CNN showed the luge death over and over, and the lack of snow.. imagine what they'll do with a sensational story like a hockey riot...

I think ending an olympics, already flush with various glitches, with a riot would add some mustard to the critics calling it the worst ever games : /

Rusty Gull Feb 21, 2010 10:10 PM

LOL - I could just see Jacque Rogge approaching the microphone during the closing ceremonies as downtown is awash in fights and violence...

"Worst. Games. Ever!!"

cornholio Feb 21, 2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

you sir are a simpleton.