SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

mello Apr 6, 2018 8:05 PM

Here is what I'm praying for before another recession/economic collapse hits which I think could be in the next year to late 2019: 7th and Market come on people lets make a deal with these damn unions and get this transformative project going. Plus having an imposing 500 footer in that spot will do wonders for the overall skyline.

BOSA tower across street from PAC Gateway: Another 500 foot tower here would complete an impressive cluster of towers.

Manchester Pacific Gateway: Will this ever get financing? Hmmm I'm surprised no one at the UT or any business Mag in town has done an analysis on why it can't get financing.

Joseph Tsai new downtown arena: Will he unveil his plan soon?

I think we would all be satisfied if the above projects along with what has currently broken ground get going before the next big downturn.

spoonman Apr 6, 2018 8:55 PM

Nice list Mello.

Why do you think there will be a recession?

eburress Apr 6, 2018 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 8145532)
Nice list Mello.

Why do you think there will be a recession?

A number of "experts," including Alan Greenspan, are suggesting we're on the cusp of one now. And not to get political, but it also seems like there are "forces" hell bent on putting us into a recession. :notacrook:

spoonman Apr 6, 2018 11:55 PM

I suspected that it was the "experts" predicting a recession...for political purposes.

SDCAL Apr 7, 2018 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8145473)
Here is what I'm praying for before another recession/economic collapse hits which I think could be in the next year to late 2019: 7th and Market come on people lets make a deal with these damn unions and get this transformative project going. Plus having an imposing 500 footer in that spot will do wonders for the overall skyline.

BOSA tower across street from PAC Gateway: Another 500 foot tower here would complete an impressive cluster of towers.

Manchester Pacific Gateway: Will this ever get financing? Hmmm I'm surprised no one at the UT or any business Mag in town has done an analysis on why it can't get financing.

Joseph Tsai new downtown arena: Will he unveil his plan soon?

I think we would all be satisfied if the above projects along with what has currently broken ground get going before the next big downturn.

I wish it was easier to get information about these projects.

7th/Market: my understanding of this union thing is that the developers won a court case in October of last year, and they technically could have begun construction but they wanted to be conservative and extra cautious in case it was appealed and lost. From the scant information I can find, it was widely expected that if the case was appealed the developer would still win. What I can’t find is any information on IF it was appealed and WHEN the appeal would be decide on. I’m worried there might be something else other than the lawsuit like someone getting cold feet or like you say fears about a recession playing into it.

Pacific Gateway: this just baffles me. I thought this one was a go when they started to break ground, but then it just halted and there has been no action for awhile. Did they have funding that fell through, or did they never have the funding to begin with? This is supposed to be the most valuable undeveloped coastal property on the West Coast of the U.S., it’s a pretty significant piece of land. I’m really surprised they can’t get funding. I’m wondering if there’s something more to this one too.

SDCAL Apr 7, 2018 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 8145629)
A number of "experts," including Alan Greenspan, are suggesting we're on the cusp of one now. And not to get political, but it also seems like there are "forces" hell bent on putting us into a recession. :notacrook:

Like Trump with his “trade war” with China and the tax plan they shoved through that’s adding billions and billions to the deficit? Sorry, I’ll shut up now about politics.

Speaking of China, I found this interesting. Bosa’s development Savina has language options on their marketing website, English, Spanish and CHINESE.

https://savinabybosa.com/?utm_source...SAAEgKbovD_BwE

I don’t recall ever seeing this on a project in SD, but know it’s common in bigger markets like LA, NYC, SF.

Mello, you were discussing previously about why luxury condos aren’t marketing more to foreigners in particular wealthy people in Asia. Maybe they now are? SD might be starting to get some attention in these markets?

Alan in Clairemont Apr 10, 2018 1:23 PM

7th/Market detail

7th/Market - In case anyone was wondering why the union(s) are battling that project, it's because Ritz Carlton and Whole Foods are both non-union companies. The unions are trying to squeeze the developers so they change the brand to a union friendly hotel or kill it altogether (the latter I doubt they really want, but all's fair in love and litigation). I think the hotel brand is more the issue as opposed to the Whole Paycheck in the ground floor.

I think it will happen and look forward to it (barring a recession), but going through the courts in CA is the slow boat to China unfortunately.

Oh and the "Carlsbad rejects 4-story, mixed-use downtown project"....I love how people in those beach communities still think they are these cozy little places....that ship sailed a long time ago. Particularly Carlsbad which can be argued is the capital community of North County.

joemamma Apr 10, 2018 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan in Clairemont (Post 8148967)
7th/Market - In case anyone was wondering why the union(s) are battling that project, it's because Ritz Carlton and Whole Foods are both non-union companies. The unions are trying to squeeze the developers so they change the brand to a union friendly hotel or kill it altogether (the latter I doubt they really want, but all's fair in love and litigation)....

Thanks for explaining this. On what official grounds is the litigation? I had heard environmental study issue a while back. Is that just a go to/catch all to sue a developer these days?

joemamma Apr 10, 2018 4:48 PM

BTW, here is a great youtube video re: 7th and market project.

Video is 2016 but has good interview w the developer. You can hear the logistical stress in his voice.

https://youtu.be/qjdZVHea4vo?t=19m10s

Alan in Clairemont Apr 15, 2018 1:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joemamma (Post 8149266)
Thanks for explaining this. On what official grounds is the litigation? I had heard environmental study issue a while back. Is that just a go to/catch all to sue a developer these days?

Yeah, it's another CEQA suit.....sigh....they really need to reform that law so its not such a tool for litigants with political agendas. Quote from the U/T:

"In his suit , Kracov contended that city approvals last year relied on an outdated 2006 environmental analysis for all of downtown instead of individual reports that would have specifically analyzed the environmental impacts of the 7th & Market project and the hotel development planned for Seventh and Island avenues."

The only thing this situation is missing is Cory Briggs trying to profit from the litigation....

HurricaneHugo Apr 15, 2018 11:44 PM

Have you guys heard of the 94 freeway expansion?

Apparently they're adding two lanes each direction which means destroying some homes in Golden Hill and Sherman heights while getting rid of the on/off ramps

SDfan Apr 15, 2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8155666)

Apparently they're adding two lanes each direction which means destroying some homes in Golden Hill and Sherman heights while getting rid of the on/off ramps

I've heard of it, but didn't know there would be home demolition. I thought the center lanes would be converted to BRT/HOV only, and they would be getting rid of the 28th street ramps (thank gawd).

JerellO Apr 16, 2018 1:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 8155676)
I've heard of it, but didn't know there would be home demolition. I thought the center lanes would be converted to BRT/HOV only, and they would be getting rid of the 28th street ramps (thank gawd).

What’s wrong with the 28th street ramps?

HurricaneHugo Apr 16, 2018 2:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 8155676)

Well I heard it from second hand so they might be wrong.

And if it's only the 28th street then that's fine with me, there's ramps on 25th and 30th

Are they still doing the lid on it?

Northparkwizard Apr 16, 2018 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8155666)

That'd be really fucking stupid. The freeways have already destroyed a large amount of historical neighborhoods and the way in which those neighborhoods interact which each other. (see Little Italy's past)

I'll hold my judgement until I hear from a realiable source but yeah... fuck that.

SDfan Apr 16, 2018 4:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerellO (Post 8155744)
What’s wrong with the 28th street ramps?

There are too many short ramps concentrated on that corridor. When the highway was built, cars were driving 55mph. Now they're zipping by at 80mph with three short ramps with no leeway... it's a bit dangerous. Lol

As for the park lid and possible BRT station at 25th street, no clue. It was a community request, not SANDAG plan, so who knows?

Northparkwizard Apr 16, 2018 4:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 8155920)
There are too many short ramps concentrated on that corridor. When the highway was built, cars were driving 55mph. Now they're zipping by at 80mph with three short ramps with no leeway... it's a bit dangerous. Lol

As for the park lid and possible BRT station at 25th street, no clue. It was a community request, not SANDAG plan, so who knows?

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2015/jun/01...-route-94-exp/

SDfan Apr 16, 2018 5:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 8155925)

Thanks. Any updates on this?

Northparkwizard Apr 16, 2018 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 8155938)
Thanks. Any updates on this?

Latest as of Jan. 2017.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/d11/projects/94Express.pdf

The Flying Dutchman Apr 17, 2018 5:06 AM

I went to an open house meeting re: the lid between 25/28th sts about a year ago (joint SANDAG/CALTRANS meeting). The numbers thrown around the room were astounding. I can't say for sure what they were, but I want to say $100 million at least (for the lid, lanes, and interchange). In comparison, the SR 163/Friar's Rd project currently underway is budgeted for around $71 million, per SDUT. I don't have a source for the SR 94 express, project, sorry. Essentially, they gave us the message that money would have to be identified before this moved forward. SB 1 may in fact be that source, unless it gets repealed. FWIW, I'm in full support of freeway lids in *concept* and SB 1 (gas tax for transpo funding).

CADOT 94 Express:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/d11/projects/94Express.pdf

SR 163/Friar's Rd
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...519-story.html

If someone could explain to me why freeway lids are so $$$$, please enlighten us.