SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

PoscStudent Jun 2, 2013 8:40 PM

I love American Apparel. The Travel Bug in the mall closed too.

Marty_Mcfly Jun 2, 2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6150404)

Wow didn't that store just open?

AllBlack Jun 3, 2013 1:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6150404)

That's too bad. I was just there and bought something a couple weeks ago, so much more convenient than going to the original store downtown.

PoscStudent Jun 3, 2013 1:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6150511)

Yes, like 3 YEARS ago. :)

mrjanejacobs Jun 3, 2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6150360)
If H&M or Fovever 21 ever do decide to open in St. John's, they certainly are not gonna choose downtown for a location. More likely at the mall or big box shopping parks. Downtown is a niche kind of place for shopping and big brand retail needs a lot more people coming in and out of their doors than what downtown can provide.

Hmm well yes, in the past, they were looking at the Village Mall to establish themselves.

But I wouldn't say downtown is out of the question. If it is, it's because there isn't appropriate retail space to accommodate a large store like H&M or Forever 21.

They are popular enough that people would go out of the way to shop there. So it's much less about volume of business. You also need to consider the demographics. Young people more often shop at these stores. Box stores are more convenient for older people, less so for younger people. An H&M would draw people to downtown - it would be ideal. Stavanger Drive would be worst case scenario.

I think competition may be another good way of strategizing a location in the mall though compared to Downtown.

AllBlack Jun 3, 2013 1:50 PM

The downtown economy is largely comprised of those that work and/or live there, which is a fairly small market. Let's face it, most of our city drives and parking downtown is a nightmare. I guess in order to be viable, a downtown H&M would have to inspire a large number of young people to use public transit. I don't know if it would.

mrjanejacobs Jun 3, 2013 1:57 PM

Well the downtown market is growing pretty rapidly. Lots of new condos and hotels are being built. More offices also mean more people working downtown. The market dynamics of the downtown are evolving rapidly and will look very different in a few years.

But growing up in CBS, it was quicker and easier for me to go downtown than it was to go to Stavanger Drive. And at least for my friends and people I knew, if you had an option between downtown and Stavanger Drive, you would almost always choose downtown instead.

Parking downtown isn't that bad off work-hours when people are more likely to be shopping or whatever.

ed0797 Jun 3, 2013 7:27 PM

Ideally i think downtown would be the best place to open a store like H&M. It's relatively in the center of the city, plus its easier to get to from outside the city than Stavanger. Its got better flexibility and store size than the Avalon and Village mall. Plopping a store down like it would raise the bar for competition, letting even more commonly known stores from the mainland to set up shop. Plus the growth of customers in the area would benefit all the other businesses as well.

I know for a fact kids my age would be able to take on a bus ride or two if it was necessary to get to a great store like that. Also, I'm sure people would be glad to go outside of the dark and dirty Avalon and Village malls to have the experience of shopping downtown for a change.

I did some research on the properties subject and most sources said that H&M uses buildings with at least 15,000 sq.ft. The H&M website itself proclaims that they only rent out properties to flex and adapt to the market. So properties like this http://is.gd/5KKZX2 would be perfect.

The only outstanding problems I see with developments like this down there would be the need for more parking and better transit, which we're all begging to be solved anyways.

icetea93 Jun 4, 2013 3:15 PM

I could see H&M opening up downtown, but definitely not Forever 21. They are almost always in malls (unless in a very large city).

Arrakis Jun 4, 2013 4:37 PM

Was listening to an interview with the CEO of American Apparel on CBC Radio yesterday morning and he kinda came off sounding like a bit of a douche.

I thought they were gonna relocate in the mall but it looks like they are closing shop now as they have an END OF LEASE sale sign posted in their window.

I would not be surprised though if American Apparel did not reopen in St. John's. I heard they are constantly in a financial bind over the last couple of years. Not sure what their current situation is though. I guess it would depend on how well that particular location was in sales.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6150511)

Arrakis Jun 4, 2013 4:46 PM

I also noticed that the TV Showcase store that recently relocated to the Village Mall from Avalon Mall is now closed and gone. Big surprise there. Do people actually research demographics on these kind of moves before doing idiotic things like that. "Let's take a struggling store that is currently in one of the most popular retail spaces in the city and relocate in one of the least most popular retail spaces in the city". Surely they couldn't have been surprised by the outcome.

Arrakis Jun 4, 2013 4:49 PM

I doubt you will ever see H&M go downtown. If they ever do open a store here they will go where the customers and the crowds go. That's not downtown, at least not right now. Downtown is a cool place but a very niche market. H&M usually has larger stores so if they come here it will most likely be at the Avalon Mall or in one of the big box shopping parks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetea93 (Post 6152475)
I could see H&M opening up downtown, but definitely not Forever 21. They are almost always in malls (unless in a very large city).

PoscStudent Jun 4, 2013 5:26 PM

American Apparel nearly went bankrupt a while ago I believe. I like their clothes. Their stuff is made in the US so I'd say they have issues making a big profit.

Robg Jun 4, 2013 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6152576)
I also noticed that the TV Showcase store that recently relocated to the Village Mall from Avalon Mall is now closed and gone. Big surprise there. Do people actually research demographics on these kind of moves before doing idiotic things like that. "Let's take a struggling store that is currently in one of the most popular retail spaces in the city and relocate in one of the least most popular retail spaces in the city". Surely they couldn't have been surprised by the outcome.

They actually moved downstairs by the stairs to goodlife.

rthomasd Jun 4, 2013 7:14 PM

At the Mall, the Head 1st and store next door are moving upstairs to make way for Victoria Secrets.

mrjanejacobs Jun 4, 2013 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6152581)
I doubt you will ever see H&M go downtown. If they ever do open a store here they will go where the customers and the crowds go. That's not downtown, at least not right now. Downtown is a cool place but a very niche market. H&M usually has larger stores so if they come here it will most likely be at the Avalon Mall or in one of the big box shopping parks.

Eh... they will surely not go into a big-box set-up. That's not what H&M is about and surely, Stavanger Driver will not be H&M International's first big-box style outlet.

Customers and crowds will follow H&M. No big-name retail is downtown because of a lack of space, as has been the case for a couple decades. Once a couple open-up, it will catch on like wildfire (not to say that H&M would be one, but it would definitely function as a catalyst). Please, do not underestimate the influence of H&M. haha...

PoscStudent Jun 4, 2013 9:07 PM

Does La Senza still have two stores in the mall, I can see them being hurt by Victoria Secret.

Marty_Mcfly Jun 4, 2013 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6152889)
Does La Senza still have two stores in the mall, I can see them being hurt by Victoria Secret.

They do. I imagine all stores will do fine. Girls will have a preference for one brand over another I'm sure.

SignalHillHiker Jun 4, 2013 9:47 PM

Victoria's Secret tends to have a more MILFy clientelle in my experience. I've rarely seen teenagers/20-somethings in there.

ed0797 Jun 4, 2013 10:01 PM

I'm guessing Victoria's Secret will also be bringing their "PINK" brand with them too, which caters toward more teens and offers clothes rather than just bra's and stuff.