SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Aqua | 858 FT / 262 M | 87 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99367)

zuelas Dec 6, 2007 9:34 PM

Wouldn't it look better if they continued w/the baclonies on the mechanical floor?

sentinel Dec 6, 2007 9:36 PM

There's no point, it's a mechanical floor with no necessary access to the outside and it would be expensive to just add it for the sake of continuity - I think the message of the undulating balconies gets across nicely as is, no need to accentuate it even further if it isn't a requirement on that floor...

Rocket1 Dec 6, 2007 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 3210424)
Well I have good news and bad news: the bad news is I'm an idiot and apparently don't know how to read drawings - so disregard my previous post about the balcony slabs not being curved, for the 14 floors of the hotel portion; the problem arose because on the CDs there is a rectangular grid around the whole balcony areas which acts as a way to define how the curving portion of the cantilever is built - I thought that was the actual extent/look of the slab edge, i.e., squared off, which is not the case, only the 4th floor slab is rectangular, the other floors WILL have curves, which is the good news; Sorry I'm an idiot...

Don't be so tough on yourself. :)

So I guess you're saying we should start seeing some curves -- as in once the current forms are removed?

Nowhereman1280 Dec 6, 2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 3210479)
There's no point, it's a mechanical floor with no necessary access to the outside and it would be expensive to just add it for the sake of continuity - I think the message of the undulating balconies gets across nicely as is, no need to accentuate it even further if it isn't a requirement on that floor...

Agreed, why put a balcony where you don't need it. That is just lying to do that, its a frivolous extra that is completely against the philosophy of modernism, which I think Aqua firmly follows.

Alliance Dec 6, 2007 10:36 PM

The balconyless floors are fantastic.

Saber925 Dec 6, 2007 10:49 PM

I'm happy to hear that the waved balconies are still happening. I was afraid that they had become a victim of Lowenberg "value" engineering.

So it seems we may get our first view of the curved balconies in the coming week.

EarlyBuyer Dec 7, 2007 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 3210629)
Agreed, why put a balcony where you don't need it. That is just lying to do that, its a frivolous extra that is completely against the philosophy of modernism, which I think Aqua firmly follows.

Several months ago (maybe a year now), there were 2 units (large one bedrooms) that were being marketed later in the pre-sale process, on that mechanical floor. One was on the west side and the other on the east side. As I recall from seeing those floor plans, they did include a balcony. I do not know if those units did sell, or if the 2 units on the mechanical floor idea was scapped.

honte Dec 7, 2007 3:20 AM

^ Wow, wouldn't that be strange to share most of your floor with humming and whirring equipment?

EarlyBuyer Dec 7, 2007 3:25 AM

One more unit has sold, so we're now down to three.

-(1) One bedroom plus den, 1.5 baths for $648,045 (59th floor)
-(1) One bedroom, plus den, 1.5 baths for $660,371 (70th floor)
-(1) three bedrooms, plus den, 2.5 baths for $984,390 (65th floor)

EarlyBuyer Dec 7, 2007 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honte (Post 3211262)
^ Wow, wouldn't that be strange to share most of your floor with humming and whirring equipment?

That's what I thought. There was a solid concrete wall though separating the residential from mechanical. As I recall, the ceilings were a bit higher on that floor as well.

Saber925 Dec 7, 2007 4:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer (Post 3211251)
Several months ago (maybe a year now), there were 2 units (large one bedrooms) that were being marketed later in the pre-sale process, on that mechanical floor. One was on the west side and the other on the east side. As I recall from seeing those floor plans, they did include a balcony. I do not know if those units did sell, or if the 2 units on the mechanical floor idea was scapped.

Currently, there are four units on the mechanical floor (57th). 2 facing west and 2 east. Although technically they are corner units, they only have glass facing east and west; the north and south sides are concrete walls.

dubai 1 Dec 7, 2007 4:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer (Post 3211272)
One more unit has sold, so we're now down to three.

-(1) One bedroom plus den, 1.5 baths for $648,045 (59th floor)
-(1) One bedroom, plus den, 1.5 baths for $660,371 (70th floor)
-(1) three bedrooms, plus den, 2.5 baths for $984,390 (65th floor)

so after those 3 units are sold, it's completely sold out ?

EarlyBuyer Dec 7, 2007 5:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saber925 (Post 3211361)
Currently, there are four units on the mechanical floor (57th). 2 facing west and 2 east. Although technically they are corner units, they only have glass facing east and west; the north and south sides are concrete walls.

Thanks for the additional info Saber925!

EarlyBuyer Dec 7, 2007 5:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubai 1 (Post 3211399)
so after those 3 units are sold, it's completely sold out ?

Yes they will be. I believe however there are some resale units being marketed by non-Magellan realtors.

asheesh88 Dec 7, 2007 4:52 PM

Passed by the Aqua site on my way to work today on the way to Lower Wacker....it appears that the second rounded corner balcony has been relieved of its supports.

Asheesh

asheesh88 Dec 7, 2007 8:32 PM

Hi all,

I passed by again on the way home.....I was mistaken...some of the formwork is still there, but the balconies are exposed, revealing the beginnings of some noticeable curves. The should be even more pronounced by the next balconies.

Asheesh

Dr. Taco Dec 7, 2007 9:24 PM

thanks, asheesh! thats very very exciting! i can't wait to see the curves

harryc Dec 8, 2007 12:23 AM

Dec 07 - AM

http://lh5.google.com/harry.r.carmic...JPG?imgmax=640

http://lh4.google.com/harry.r.carmic...JPG?imgmax=800

Complex01 Dec 8, 2007 12:59 AM

Man that is an awesome shot. Looking good...

:cool:

Beck4ABigChicago Dec 8, 2007 8:58 AM

Harry's pics seem to indicate that this residential tower is really amongst some of the most dense, tallest corporate structures. This seems like an interesting setting, is this a new phenomenon (in Chicago or otherwise). It seems like an amazing place to live, right in the shadow of Aon and the Prus. Kind of like if they were to put residential in the wall street area or something.