SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Never Built & Visionary Projects (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=342)
-   -   NEW YORK | Metlife North Building | 1454+ FT | 100 FLOORS | NEVER COMPLETED (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=151636)

volguus zildrohar May 11, 2011 10:39 PM

That lovely Art Deco slab look. There was a highrise proposed for Chicago back in the day (Apparel Mart, I believe) that was similar in design.

Roadcruiser1 May 12, 2011 1:21 AM

Still studying to get an architecture, and engineering degree. Lets hope that either me or someone else comes along, and complete it. I would love to complete this building. I would build the building to this configuration. The current building and foundation could support 110 floors.

Floors Floor Use
0-50 Office
51-52 Skylobby
53-70 Hotel
71-72 Skylobby
73-99 Residential
100-102 Open Air & Indoor Observation Deck
103-105 Restaurant
105-107 Cafe
107-109 Broadcasting Equipment
110 Spire With TV & Radio Mast

Height To The Roof: 1410 Feet
Height To The Top Of The Mast: 1810 Feet.

Also there would be 2 Basement floors that would contain Restaurants and a Mall.

JDRCRASH May 12, 2011 5:09 AM

^

Nice. But i'm sure it would have to go through some sort of structural review.

To me, if One Madison Ave was built, the Metlife Tower wouldn't be as "overwhelmed" by a vertical expansion of Metlife North.

fogandrail May 12, 2011 5:59 AM

:previous: True. C'est la vie. It is too bad people on the forum can't get their voices heard by developers. Likely nothing of that sort will happen as a result of it.

MolsonExport May 12, 2011 1:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalziand (Post 5244924)

Wow, a SIMCITY 2000 archology!

M II A II R II K May 12, 2011 2:06 PM

Next the new buildings themselves would be composed of synthetic biological components itself.

Kanto May 13, 2011 9:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 (Post 5274746)
Still studying to get an architecture, and engineering degree. Lets hope that either me or someone else comes along, and complete it. I would love to complete this building. I would build the building to this configuration. The current building and foundation could support 110 floors.

Floors Floor Use
0-50 Office
51-52 Skylobby
53-70 Hotel
71-72 Skylobby
73-99 Residential
100-102 Open Air & Indoor Observation Deck
103-105 Restaurant
105-107 Cafe
107-109 Broadcasting Equipment
110 Spire With TV & Radio Mast

Height To The Roof: 1410 Feet
Height To The Top Of The Mast: 1810 Feet.

Also there would be 2 Basement floors that would contain Restaurants and a Mall.

Nice plan. This could become the new icon of NY :multibow

kickser May 14, 2011 11:45 AM

Can someone who is good at photoshopping try to draw a massing model of this one into a nyc panorama picture? It'd be nice to see how this one would effect the skyline if finished.

THE BIG APPLE Jun 19, 2011 8:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickser (Post 5277509)
Can someone who is good at photoshopping try to draw a massing model of this one into a nyc panorama picture? It'd be nice to see how this one would effect the skyline if finished.

If you're interested I could show you photos of this in Google Earth, the photos btw will be available in a future thread that i'm going to start soon called "What if names like Larkin, Metlife, and Travelstead were synonymous with New York City"- look for it in the Never Built & Visionary Projects section in the future.

kickser Jun 24, 2011 8:30 PM

I am def interested.

HomrQT Aug 1, 2011 2:19 PM

Absolute crime this wasn't completed. We were robbed of something amazing here!!!

Swede Sep 8, 2011 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE (Post 5320840)
If you're interested I could show you photos of this in Google Earth, the photos btw will be available in a future thread that i'm going to start soon called "What if names like Larkin, Metlife, and Travelstead were synonymous with New York City"- look for it in the Never Built & Visionary Projects section in the future.

That sounds like an awesome thread. :cheers:

CarlosV Sep 10, 2011 8:15 PM

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6068/...015faa99_b.jpg
DSC_2666 by Ceva321, on Flickr

.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6205/...a86da670_b.jpg
DSC_2661 by Ceva321, on Flickr

.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6084/...b954c262_b.jpg
DSC_2664 by Ceva321, on Flickr

.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6152/...4e89be12_b.jpg
DSC_2662 by Ceva321, on Flickr

kingcity Sep 20, 2011 9:43 PM

now i know why this building looks so strange

jd3189 Oct 2, 2011 1:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 3580587)
I dont see why people are just so crazy about this building, yes it nice, but it pales in comparison to the ESB, theres hardly any detail. Had it been completed the Midtown skyline wouldnt be as centered and balanced as it is, the ESB totally dominates the area, located right in the center of the skyline (when looking north or south) had Metlife been built it would have just, blah.

This would have been just as iconic and would have added greatly to Midtown's classic skyline. ESB would have had a big brother.

TowerInternet Nov 23, 2011 2:09 PM

The building just looks so unfinished. They really need to finish this thing.

DrNest Jan 24, 2012 4:04 PM

What a fascinating topic. I never knew of the original plans to build this tower so tall until I stumbled upon this thread. It will be interesting to see whether anything is ever built on top, let alone taking it up past 100 floors.

Should they do, I would love to see it continue in the same style as originally proposed, and not a glass box put on top. However, the building next door at One Madison Ave is a great design in my opinion. I would be very interested to see that constructed.

jd3189 Jan 25, 2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrNest (Post 5562171)
What a fascinating topic. I never knew of the original plans to build this tower so tall until I stumbled upon this thread. It will be interesting to see whether anything is ever built on top, let alone taking it up past 100 floors.

Should they do, I would love to see it continue in the same style as originally proposed, and not a glass box put on top. However, the building next door at One Madison Ave is a great design in my opinion. I would be very interested to see that constructed.

When Midtown goes further south, Metlife North and One Madison can be the new icons of that part of Manhattan. I would like the building to be a few hundred feet more than it was originally conceive to be. Would be a new ESB.

Roadcruiser1 Jan 25, 2012 4:41 AM

My proposal from above if no one went up to see it. Some changes though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 (Post 5274746)
Still studying to get an architecture, and engineering degree (Masters Degree in Architecture now). Lets hope that either me or someone else comes along, and complete it. I would love to complete this building. I would build the building to this configuration. The current building and foundation could support 110 floors.

Floors Floor Use
0-50 Office
51-52 Skylobby
53-70 Hotel
71-72 Skylobby
73-99 Residential
100-102 Open Air & Indoor Observation Deck
103-105 Restaurant
105-107 Cafe/Bar
107-109 Broadcasting Equipment/Telecommunications Equipment
110 Spire With TV & Radio Mast

Height To The Roof: 1410 Feet
Height To The Top Of The Mast: 1810 Feet.

Also there would be 2 Basement floors that would contain Restaurants and a Mall.


THE BIG APPLE Jan 25, 2012 5:11 AM

I think this building is too big (bulky) to be residential. Office would definitely be the specification that this building fits and hotel would be possible. That's why you see buildings like Woolworth (possibly) and American International turning residential because they're SO thin, and have more expansive views. This building could have multiple units on the same floor, and people would argue that they're paying the same as "him" but have less views.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.