SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Sox Aug 22, 2017 10:26 AM

Looks Like FOG OFF CLOTHING on Water Street, is gone out of Business. Space is empty.
Unless the have moved somewhere else in the city ? Anybody know anything
Wife loves their winter hats

ec1983 Aug 22, 2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 7899890)
Looks Like FOG OFF CLOTHING on Water Street, is gone out of Business. Space is empty.

Location is permanently closed, I'm amazed he lasted that long. Never should have been a stand alone store, made much more sense to sell through Pseudio or somewhere similar.

jthetzel Aug 22, 2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 7899890)

Fog Off closed their brick and mortar store on Water Street but are still in business online ( https://www.fogoffclothing.com/collections/all ) and at various retailers across Atlantic Canada ( https://www.fogoffclothing.com/pages/where-to-buy ).

rthomasd Sep 8, 2017 7:28 PM

Is it true that Georgetown Bakery is closed "indefinitely" ??

Offshore1 Sep 9, 2017 1:31 PM

Article from The Telegram on Volkswagen moving to Kelsey Drive. I hadn't heard of it until now - I missed the post on it here from June.

"Engibeer
This may have already been posted but anyway, I was in VW/Audi the other day and the sales manager said they're about to kick off construction on a new VW dealership behind Wal Mart on Kelsey Drive. The existing building on Kenmount Rd. will sell only Audi products. Not sure on the timeline."

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...sey-drive.html

J_Murphy Sep 9, 2017 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 7916138)
Is it true that Georgetown Bakery is closed "indefinitely" ??

Yes, I believe the sign in their door said for personal reasons. Likely a death or illness I'm guessing.

rthomasd Sep 13, 2017 9:10 PM

Good news - reopening Friday Sept 15th.

colinpeddle Sep 14, 2017 12:34 AM

Well that's one way to get free press lol

but yeah glad they're reopening, pretty big deal for the locals. We live outside of town and get our bread at tilthouse. Would be sad af if they closed.

Arrakis Sep 20, 2017 5:38 AM

Toys R Us in both USA and Canada have filed for bankruptcy protection. Not sure what this will mean for the St John's location?

Arrakis Sep 20, 2017 7:22 AM

Toys R Us in both USA and Canada have filed for bankruptcy protection. Not sure what this will mean for the St John's location?

Marty_Mcfly Sep 30, 2017 2:30 PM

Avalon Mall Sears is closing.

Arrakis Sep 30, 2017 3:18 PM

Finally. They been beating that dead dog long enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 7938073)

KAO79 Sep 30, 2017 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 7938073)

Here's some info about it:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...tore-1.4315054

statbass Sep 30, 2017 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7938098)
Finally. They been beating that dead dog long enough.

Although it's not a big shock, Sears has been in decline for years. However, it'll be a definite impact on the local economy - I would imagine Sears employs around 100 people here. The retail sector is a tough place to be in right now.

Arrakis Sep 30, 2017 8:19 PM

Avalon Mall should take this opportunity now, especially since it's planning some major renos to rethink the Sears space. It's likely they will never get a tenant to fill that large space anymore. Last hope was Hudson's Bay perhaps, but they are struggling too these days. If it were up to me, I would devide up the space and extend the mall into it. Perhaps now, they will be able to entice some new tennants that they never had space available before, like H&M, Forever 21, or others. Though it still might be difficult with online shopping systematically destroying the physical retail store and shopping concept.

statbass Sep 30, 2017 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7938293)
Avalon Mall should take this opportunity now, especially since it's planning some major renos to rethink the Sears space. It's likely they will never get a tenant to fill that large space anymore. Last hope was Hudson's Bay perhaps, but they are struggling too these days. If it were up to me, I would devide up the space and extend the mall into it. Perhaps now, they will be able to entice some new tennants that they never had space available before, live H&M, Foever 21, or others. Though it still might be difficult with online shopping systematically destroying the physical retail store and shopping concept.

I'd imagine this would be the most logical step for the Avalon mall, especially given the ongoing renovations. The days of larger department stores are over and this can present an opportunity to attract new retail to the city. Hopefully the lag time will be minimal and those affected by this closure can seek re-employment.

colinpeddle Oct 1, 2017 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7938293)
Perhaps now, they will be able to entice some new tennants that they never had space available before,

Should move the food court there, get a few big name large restaurants added on to it.

statbass Oct 1, 2017 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinpeddle (Post 7938954)
Should move the food court there, get a few big name large restaurants added on to it.

I like that idea!

PoscStudent Oct 3, 2017 8:59 PM

H&M is supposedly going where Gap was. Dunno?

KDMusic Oct 3, 2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 7941416)
H&M is supposedly going where Gap was. Dunno?

Gap is actually apparently being split up into four smaller stores: Jump Plus, The Source, Charm Diamonds, and the fourth one is still unknown.

This mall floor plan from Crombie's website shows this.
http://www.crombie.ca/PDF/factsheet_54.pdf

Marty_Mcfly Oct 4, 2017 2:09 AM

We really have to stop with the 'H&M is coming to town' rumors. They've been alive ever since I moved to St. John's back in 2007. We need to be honest with ourselves, if they were actually interested in getting into out market, they would have done so by now. There's retail space available if they want it, and it's been available for years.

statbass Oct 4, 2017 12:17 PM

ACAN building sale pending in Paradise to Montreal company

Here's another article regarding the sale of the old ACAN building in Paradise

Source: The Telegram
Author: Kenn Oliver
Date: Oct 3, 2017

Quote:

LRE Properties Inc., a Montreal-based property management company, has an agreement to purchase the former ACAN Windows and Doors facility from its current owner, Leslie Amoils. ALRE president Roberto Di Giorgio says his company has waived its conditions and they expect to finalize the deal over the next month.

Job one is demolishing the existing 40-year-old building that has sat vacant since 2015.

“If there’s a way we can get it done before winter, that’ll be our Christmas present to the town, to have the eyesore removed,” says Di Giorgio.

In its place, the plan is to construct a retail centre measuring between 80,000 and 90,000 square feet.

Construction is set to begin next summer, with the first stores opening in the spring of 2019.

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...l-company.html

statbass Oct 4, 2017 12:22 PM

New retailers eye St. John’s Sears location in Avalon Mall

... and another one regarding the soon to be vacant Sears space at the Avalon Mall.

Source: The Telegram
Author: Unknown
Date: Oct 3,2017

Quote:

Crombie Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) says the 128,000-square-foot area will be factored into the overall mall redevelopment — a project already underway and valued at over $54 million — but it’s too early to say exactly how it will be used or who will occupy the space.

“We have a number of retailers that have expressed interest in locating to Avalon Mall because it is one of the top 30 shopping centres in Canada and the number one shopping centre in Newfoundland and Labrador,” Crombie president and CEO Don Clow stated in a news release.

“We look forward to sharing our redevelopment plans as they are completed.”

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...alon-mall.html

Arrakis Oct 4, 2017 9:21 PM

Just announced that Steele is buying all of the Penney auto dealerships.

Offshore1 Oct 16, 2017 1:13 PM

Was in the Avalon Mall over the weekend & saw that Sunrise Records has their sign lit. Work still ongoing inside presumably - the glass front still covered in paper. Will be nice to have another option for music purchases in the city.

rad709 Oct 21, 2017 8:50 PM

Colemans on Newfoundland drive is opening this Monday (23rd) as per FB.

barter Oct 21, 2017 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rad709 (Post 7960710)
Colemans on Newfoundland drive is opening this Monday (23rd) as per FB.

There is a large NLC in the same building as well, which will be the 3rd on the Eastside not including the little store inside Memorial Stadium Dominion. You would think there would be enough sales to justify 3 stores, seeing how the stores on Stavsnger and Howley Estates are 5 minutes drive apart.

goodgrowth Oct 23, 2017 3:04 PM

Coleman’s To Open Doors On Newfoundland Drive Today:
http://vocm.com/news/colemans-to-ope...d-drive-today/

Looks decent.

MelH Nov 16, 2017 7:16 PM

Avalon Mall

Was in the Avalon Mall earlier in the week for the first time in a while and noticed quite a few differences...

Sunrise Records open, big new SoftMoc location, big new Charm Diamonds in the old Gap location, Ricky's opening again (yay!)

Hard to believe we are in an economic slump when you see all this development and all of the spots filled with shoppers!

colinpeddle Nov 17, 2017 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelH (Post 7988297)
Hard to believe we are in an economic slump when you see all this development

Take a drive out by Stavanger, Aberdeen, and Henry Power and you won't have trouble believing it. :/

J_Murphy Nov 17, 2017 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinpeddle (Post 7989226)
Take a drive out by Stavanger, Aberdeen, and Henry Power and you won't have trouble believing it. :/

Why do you say that?

colinpeddle Nov 17, 2017 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7989346)
Why do you say that?

There's an awful lot of empty real estate. I'd say vacancies outnumber the actual businesses at this point.

J_Murphy Nov 17, 2017 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinpeddle (Post 7989467)
There's an awful lot of empty real estate. I'd say vacancies outnumber the actual businesses at this point.

Are you sure we are living in the same St. John's? I was down there today and didn't notice many vacanies. Only ones that come to mind are Golf Town and Target. Of course, Target closure had nothing to do with our economy. And golf town, well, St. John's isn't really a great spot for golf. There have been a few new businesses open in the past year, particuarly on White Rose Drive. Traffic is always busy everytime I am there.

Where else are there vacancies?

colinpeddle Nov 17, 2017 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7989475)
Are you sure we are living in the same St. John's? I was down there today and didn't notice many vacanies. Only ones that come to mind are Golf Town and Target. Of course, Target closure had nothing to do with our economy. And golf town, well, St. John's isn't really a great spot for golf. There have been a few new businesses open in the past year, particuarly on White Rose Drive. Traffic is always busy everytime I am there.

Where else are there vacancies?

The golf place. The buildings next to and around Rona. There's a couple, well at least one, vacant in the lot with Mark's last I looked, the pet store? I think there's a empty shop in the Remax building. The entire bottom section of the Verafin building, that whole buildings been "done" for months and months now. The building with Wingin' it or the one next to it, or both, has vacancies. The large building beyond Canadian tire has floors vacant so far as I can recall. I think the Little Cesar's building still needs one tenant. Didn't one of the businesses in the Subway strip close?

I could be wrong on some of these, I haven't really paid attention and I'm not up and in those areas often, just recalling from recent memories. I'm sure there's one or two I've missed.

Add those to the Target and eventually Costco (unless they turn it into a business centre as rumored) plus whatever else might close shop..

OH RUA Sports Fanatic is gone. Henry's closed, replaced by a vape shop.. and we all know vape shops don't count :-D jk

Marty_Mcfly Nov 17, 2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinpeddle (Post 7989520)
OH RUA Sports Fanatic is gone. Henry's closed, replaced by a vape shop.. and we all know vape shops don't count :-D jk

The vape shop is owned by one of my best friends who I've known since I was 3. They're not going anywhere anytime soon; they actually know how to run a business unlike many of the other vape stores which popped up around town. Contributes to the local economy just as much as Henry's did, whatever Henry's was.

IronMan Nov 18, 2017 5:25 AM

I wonder if there is any validity to the rumour that the current Costco will become a Costco Business Centre. Are there many of these in Canada? I believe this is a relatively new concept for Costco.

goodgrowth Nov 18, 2017 1:43 PM

There is definitely new office and commercial buildings that have gone up in the past few years that are seemingly still vacant/not fully utilised...

I'm no expert but I think there is a bit of a lag time between demand and supply in real estate and the economy slowed down just as new office/commercial real estate was finally being built.

colinpeddle Nov 18, 2017 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 7990055)
I wonder if there is any validity to the rumour that the current Costco will become a Costco Business Centre. Are there many of these in Canada? I believe this is a relatively new concept for Costco.

There's one, in Kitchener or London, maybe. I believe, assuming there's no others in the works, that we'd be number 2.

MrX Nov 19, 2017 2:22 AM

The 1st floor of the Verafin building is being taken over by...Verafin. Reno’s should conclude late in the year.

colinpeddle Nov 19, 2017 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrX (Post 7990599)
The 1st floor of the Verafin building is being taken over by...Verafin. Reno’s should conclude late in the year.

First or ground floor?

MrX Nov 20, 2017 1:18 AM

Ground. That’s the only floor not occupied today. Vale Are on the 2nd and Verafin presently the 3rd and 4th.

NewfBC Nov 20, 2017 4:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinpeddle (Post 7990185)
There's one, in Kitchener or London, maybe. I believe, assuming there's no others in the works, that we'd be number 2.

There's only one .. in Toronto (Scarborough).

Ron.

Larla77 Nov 20, 2017 1:54 PM

The building Verafin is in is fully leased according to the sign out front. Looks like they are just finishing up some renos on the first floor. The Axtion building is well underway in the area as well. The Newfoundland Chocolate Company has plans to build a factory in the Hebron area as well as they've outgrown their current facilities.

One of the call centres is moving into the back of the old Zellers/Target building. There are windows in the back that didn't used to be there before so it looks like renovations are coming along there.

Looks like the Bell Store is moving into the former Source location next to Hallmark. I saw Bell counters in there last week while going into Hallmark.

The building Pets Unlimited was in is now Ricki's and Cleo. Has been for at least a year now.

I read an article that Costco has plans to expand its Business Centres in Canada to more major cities in Canada in the next 5 years so its certainly possible they could keep both locations. Although with the current stand-off between Danny Williams and the City I don't think there will be much development in Galway anytime soon.

IronMan Jan 23, 2018 8:49 PM

Loos like the Wal-Mart on Kelsey is going to be the first Supercentre in tbe city. Lots of work going on in there - a worker said it was because they were installing a full grocery section as they are converting to a Supercentre.

djslue Jan 23, 2018 8:57 PM

Great News!

ec1983 Jan 24, 2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 8057865)
Loos like the Wal-Mart on Kelsey is going to be the first Supercentre in tbe city. Lots of work going on in there - a worker said it was because they were installing a full grocery section as they are converting to a Supercentre.

The Kelsey Drive store and Mount Pearl location will both be undergoing a fairly significant renovation very soon.

Larla77 Jan 24, 2018 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 8057865)

I assumed all the Wal-Marts in town got rid of their garages so there would be space for more groceries. Any word on the Stavanger one?

Heard on NTV the other night that the Mall would be announcing plans for the old Sears location soon. Was at the mall last weekend and the staff at the store I was shopping at told me that they were extending the hall and splitting up the space. That part of the building needs to be madeover - looks basically the same as when Woolco was there. They also mentioned an additional floor and I can't remember if that was officially announced yet.

KDMusic Jan 24, 2018 9:07 PM

Found two images on Crombie Reit's website that I'm assuming are showing more of the Mall's future renovation plans

https://i.imgur.com/DvxnQv2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2sftAm5.jpg

wmemeadusjr Feb 3, 2018 6:39 PM

Walmart Supercentres are coming to St. John's and Mount Pearl. There are even large banners outside saying so at Mount Pearl Kelsey. Stavanger and Topsail, however, do not have the banners up.

wmemeadusjr Feb 3, 2018 6:46 PM

I noticed some east end activity recently. The building that houses Golf Town (the late), Carter's, Party City, etc is expanding again next to Party City. This building was built as an expandable complex to grow as needed. I'm guessing a lease has been signed by a retailer to open up there. I just don't understand why they are building on when the former Golf Town space sits empty. Maybe that's been leased as well. Who knows.

I also noticed the former Cineplex/Empire Theatre site on Hebron Way that never materialized is now in full swing with construction equipment, materials and trailers. Does anybody know what's going there? Offices? Retail? Cineplex afterall?