SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

SpongeG Feb 28, 2018 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy123 (Post 8087320)
Yes! Just because you have fruit and meat doesn't make it a real supercenter, real supercentres are actually super sized and have everything you need. Walmart has plenty of money, can't they afford to build on a section? There's a reason that the other three Walmart are busier than the topsail road location. We want big Walmarts with big selection!
When I heard the news about supercentres coming I was hoping for a mainland style Walmart with two entrances and basically a huge Walmart with a full grocery store attached. Not what we're supposed to be getting!

walmart defines supercentres by products, services and hours offered not by the physical size of the store. They have also been moving on reducing the size format of their stores in an effort to promote online shopping, so if you can't find it in store you can order it online or get it shipped to the store and pick it up.

rthomasd Mar 1, 2018 3:19 AM

Cineplex Rec Room at the Avalon Mall -
They are taking over the Games arcade and FogCity and building a piece onto the Mall in the $6 M project. FogCity will move to a stand-alone building in the Mall parking lot.

techguy123 Mar 2, 2018 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8103016)
walmart defines supercentres by products, services and hours offered not by the physical size of the store. They have also been moving on reducing the size format of their stores in an effort to promote online shopping, so if you can't find it in store you can order it online or get it shipped to the store and pick it up.

Yes, but if they just cram in a grocery section to the current building, selection will be reduced. There's a reason people go to Kelsey or Mt Pearl instead of topsail: more selection in store.

Side note: anyone know the biggest Walmart in St Johns? I'm guessing Kelsey since it's the newest, but if anyone knows for sure that would be nice.

J_Murphy Mar 2, 2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy123 (Post 8104837)
Yes, but if they just cram in a grocery section to the current building, selection will be reduced. There's a reason people go to Kelsey or Mt Pearl instead of topsail: more selection in store.

Side note: anyone know the biggest Walmart in St Johns? I'm guessing Kelsey since it's the newest, but if anyone knows for sure that would be nice.

I just measured Aberdeen and Kelsey using a mapping app I have. Looks as though they are both approximately the same size at about 12,000 square meters.

Malreynolds Mar 2, 2018 3:39 PM

i actually work at Walmart on Topsail rd and the store is doing amazingly. Last year (2017) profit sharing was the highest in Atlantic canada.

goodgrowth Mar 3, 2018 4:10 PM

Interesting that we are getting Rec Room ...which seems to be only in a few large cities in Canada...yet no word on new theaters. Cineplex must see future growth there as oppose to movie theaters...

Still think a small 8 screen theater in Galway would certainly do better than Mount Pearl square.

Offshore1 Mar 3, 2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8106439)
interesting that we are getting rec room ...which seems to be only in a few large cities in canada...yet no word on new theaters. Cineplex must see future growth there as oppose to movie theaters...

Still think a small 8 screen theater in galway would certainly do better than mount pearl square.

100%. Mount Pearl Square never was much of an attraction and to call it past its prime is quite the understatement.
Still hoping the Cineplex that was planned for Hebron Way area will get built in Galway.

KAO79 Mar 4, 2018 7:31 PM

Here's a piece CBC did about the new Rec Room... where it's going to go, and what it will bring to the Avalon Mall.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...mall-1.4560176

This is the story I actually wanted to post. Thanks CBC website for changing it on me.
https://www.facebook.com/cbcnl/video...6314418412174/

techguy123 Mar 4, 2018 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreynolds (Post 8105357)
i actually work at Walmart on Topsail rd and the store is doing amazingly. Last year (2017) profit sharing was the highest in Atlantic canada.

Wow, really? Wouldn't have thought that. This is including places like Halifax? Have you heard anything about Topsail Walmart being renovated by any chance?

techguy123 Mar 4, 2018 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 8105140)
I just measured Aberdeen and Kelsey using a mapping app I have. Looks as though they are both approximately the same size at about 12,000 square meters.

What's the name of that app? Can you check Topsail and Mt Pearl by any chance?

barter Mar 16, 2018 12:27 AM

Re Avalon Mall

Heard that Winners is moving to the old Sears space once irs renovated, and H&M is going into the old Wimmers space

KDMusic Mar 16, 2018 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barter (Post 8121670)
Re Avalon Mall

Heard that Winners is moving to the old Sears space once irs renovated, and H&M is going into the old Wimmers space

Pretty sure that is very very wrong. It has been basically confirmed that the Mall's plans for that space are to extend the mall into part of the old Sears space, and Crombie REIT's website now mentions that they also intend on demolishing another part of it and then extending out towards Kenmount Road. The Winners space would also be way too big for just a H&M.

"Crombie has negotiated a lease surrender of the 129,000 square foot Sears effective February 2018, enabling acceleration of planning to redevelop this section of the mall. This $53 million phase II redevelopment will involve demolition of a portion of the existing Sears and expanding the existing mall toward Kenmount Road. The redevelopment provides an opportunity to replace the former Sears space with new and/or completely renovated modern tenant spaces, common areas, and mall exterior. Construction of this phase will begin in 2018 with occupancy in early 2019 of the redeveloped Sears. Construction of the expansion area will continue throughout 2019 with occupancy expected in 2020."

Marty_Mcfly Mar 16, 2018 1:21 AM

There are three things in life: death, taxes, and H&M to St. John's rumors.

Arrakis Mar 16, 2018 1:11 PM

Stumbled across this website on development and chains. It has an article and some more artists renderings of the Avalon Mall new look.

Here is the link to the blog. You may have to scroll several pages to get to the article.

http://devandchains.com/exciting-dev...t-in-st-johns/

goodgrowth Mar 16, 2018 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8122049)
Stumbled across this website on development and chains. It has an article and some more artists renderings of the Avalon Mall new look.

Here is the link to the blog. You may have to scroll several pages to get to the article.

http://devandchains.com/exciting-dev...t-in-st-johns/

Nice find. Interesting snippet: "Crombie REIT is also redeveloping and currently leasing Kenmount Business Centre and Woodgate Plaza which were acquired in 2013. Both properties are adjacent to Avalon Mall and will be linked together in 2018 through pedestrian/vehicular bridges and a new Kenmount Rd. connector."

Also a render of new Woodgate Plaza: http://www.crombie.ca/property/woodgate-plaza

Arrakis Mar 16, 2018 8:15 PM

Thanks. Though it’s difficult to figure out what parts of the malls existing exterior are shown in the renders. Should be interesting nonetheless.

The Woodgate Plaza renders look interesting too. Looks like they may be demolishing some of that building too. I wonder how long ToysRUs will last now that the us counterpart is closing all stores?

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8122146)
Nice find. Interesting snippet: "Crombie REIT is also redeveloping and currently leasing Kenmount Business Centre and Woodgate Plaza which were acquired in 2013. Both properties are adjacent to Avalon Mall and will be linked together in 2018 through pedestrian/vehicular bridges and a new Kenmount Rd. connector."

Also a render of new Woodgate Plaza: http://www.crombie.ca/property/woodgate-plaza

KDMusic Mar 16, 2018 8:18 PM

"With the departure of Sears earlier in January, Avalon Mall will capitalize on the ability to downsize its footprint in one direction while expanding in another. The final result will provide 17,000 square feet of incremental space with improved access and visibility to enhanced merchandise mix and offer optimal configuration using a ‘race track’ to connect the lower level with the new addition."

Did anybody else get a bit lost trying to read this part? Or can someone who does understand this explain it to me?

cdotr Mar 17, 2018 2:48 AM

Yes, the race track is what is interesting. But if I were to guess I think they mean that there will be a an "oval" corridor with stores on the outside and inside. Similar to the second floor. You have Sports Experts, Lawton's etc on the perimeter and then generally smaller stores on the interior.

Another mall I recall with what I would consider "race tracks" is White Oaks in London, ON.

http://www.whiteoaksmall.ca/usr/doc/whiteoaks_map.pdf

The area between Hudson's Bay and Walmart is what I would call a race track, then deeper in the mall there are other hallways that force you to circle around and the hallways intersect. You have stores on the perimeter and stores on the inside of the track. That's the best I can figure.

Larla77 Mar 17, 2018 11:35 PM

Just saw a for lease ad on Facebook for the grace building (285 water street) which I believe is the model shop building. Are they moving or closing? Looked on their Facebook and it looked like business as usual.

jondrover Mar 18, 2018 2:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8123613)
Just saw a for lease ad on Facebook for the grace building (285 water street) which I believe is the model shop building. Are they moving or closing? Looked on their Facebook and it looked like business as usual.

Moving to Kenomunt Road.