SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 835 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

harryc Mar 4, 2021 3:36 AM

Feb 25



Later that day












March 1



note the crane for 609 Randolph on the right





jc5680 Mar 6, 2021 2:56 PM


PittsburghPA Mar 12, 2021 3:22 PM

A friend sent me this today. Taken from the 32nd Floor of Left Bank so this one is rising pretty quick.

https://i.imgur.com/EFAk0NS.jpg

mark0 Mar 13, 2021 2:27 AM

Such wasted vista on this tower. What do we gain? Blocked west sun light down the river canyon, another boring blue glass box as a focal point, a most likely empty tower with watered down results ala Block 37. I'm just sad about this wasted site. It could have been so much better. Even something smaller but more thought out would have been better than the three amigo's clad in their best 2005 era blue glazing. Maybe next century we can get it right.

SpireGuy Mar 13, 2021 2:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0 (Post 9216523)
Such wasted vista on this tower. What do we gain? Blocked west sun light down the river canyon, another boring blue glass box as a focal point, a most likely empty tower with watered down results ala Block 37. I'm just sad about this wasted site. It could have been so much better. Even something smaller but more thought out would have been better than the three amigo's clad in their best 2005 era blue glazing. Maybe next century we can get it right.

Agreed 100%

the urban politician Mar 13, 2021 3:23 PM

The thing is barely out of the ground and all we have is a couple stories of core, and people are already griping about how bad it is. Tough crowd....

harryc Mar 13, 2021 3:29 PM

March 8









steel porn ... click on image to enlarge


March 11






dropdeaded209 Mar 13, 2021 4:28 PM

great shots HC-- surely the detailing and the massing, especially from the south branch looking north, will be fine, but the letdown over the successive height reductions for such a crowning site is shared by many, I'm sure.

IMHO the real key to this ensemble will be offering a welcoming environment for all of us at ground level, and on that front there is cause for optimism.

jc5680 Mar 14, 2021 6:56 PM


Dylan Dude Mar 15, 2021 1:03 AM

I got to stay in that Holiday Inn as a kid, I was lucky enough that my parents brought us to Chicago from Milwaukee and we slept there. The whole south facing wall was all solid window with the best view of downtown and the sears tower. What will happen with that hotel now? lol this building will completely ruin any views. Will it just close down?

left of center Mar 15, 2021 1:12 AM

^ The Holiday Inn in the Apparel Center is still there (although I believe temporarily closed due to the pandemic), and its views have already been partially blocked by the two existing buildings that have been built on Wolf Point for a number of years now (especially WPW). Since the Wolf Point towers will (unfortunately) not completely block out the Apparel Center, it will still retain views in some units even after WPS is complete.

I'm sure it will stick around. People tend to choose staying at a Holiday Inn for value as opposed to views or prestige. If it does close, it will be due to the economics of adapting to a post Covid world where tourism and business travel is stunted for a few years as opposed to its loss of views for some rooms.

Skyguy_7 Mar 15, 2021 12:20 PM

^ Only us skyscraper nerds take into account views when booking a hotel.

Personally, I ask for the highest floor every time. I'm sure many of you do the same. There aren't many tall hotel options in Chicago, but whenever you're in NYC, I recommend The Residence Inn at Broadway and 54th for phenomenal views.

SamInTheLoop Mar 15, 2021 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 9216749)
March 8

steel porn ... click on image to enlarge


Thanks for the great update.

I'm quite surprised to see these angled columns. So much that at first glance I'd assumed it was just an illusion. Wonder what the story is behind them.

SamInTheLoop Mar 15, 2021 7:14 PM

dup

left of center Mar 15, 2021 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 9218136)
^ Only us skyscraper nerds take into account views when booking a hotel.

Personally, I ask for the highest floor every time. I'm sure many of you do the same. There aren't many tall hotel options in Chicago, but whenever you're in NYC, I recommend The Residence Inn at Broadway and 54th for phenomenal views.

You know I do :cool:



Thanks for the tip!

pianowizard Mar 15, 2021 10:29 PM

^Wow you guys are hardcore! I have requested the highest floor only once, when I spent one night in downtown Detroit a couple years ago. I was given a room on the second highest floor of the RenCen (the highest floor was full), and the view was amazing. There aren't many tall hotels in the US, and Marriott at the 44-year-old RenCen is still the second tallest among them, being just several meters shorter than the Residence Inn in NYC.

What's the tallest hotel in Chicago? And the highest?

IrishIllini Mar 15, 2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Dude (Post 9217896)
I got to stay in that Holiday Inn as a kid, I was lucky enough that my parents brought us to Chicago from Milwaukee and we slept there. The whole south facing wall was all solid window with the best view of downtown and the sears tower. What will happen with that hotel now? lol this building will completely ruin any views. Will it just close down?

If there's a god, they'll make sure that building comes down sooner than later.

left of center Mar 15, 2021 11:22 PM

No need for the wrecking ball. A glass curtain wall recladding would suffice. Neither outcome is likely unfortunately, as the building is structurally sound and was mostly leased (and therefor profitable) as of before the pandemic.

The blue/grey paintjob from a few years ago was such an improvement over that vile beige tone it had. Still ugly, but considerably less of an eyesore now.

Steely Dan Mar 15, 2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pianowizard (Post 9218858)
.

What's the tallest hotel in Chicago? And the highest?

The tallest all-hotel tower in chicago is the hotel intercontinental (the old medina athletic club tower from 1929) at 471', but the top of the tower has a lot of unoccupied architectural embellishments, so I think the tallest hotel room that you can actually book in chicago is in the 460' tall chicago marriott built in 1978.

There are of course 10 mixed-use towers with hotel components that are taller than those two in chicago, but I believe the hotel portions for all of them are on the lower floors, with residential units located on the upper floors.

Kinda weird that in a city with over 125 towers over 500' tall, you can't book a single hotel room above that height. It's one of the rare skyscraper superlatives that detroit has over chicago.

Zapatan Mar 16, 2021 1:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9218942)
Kinda weird that in a city with over 125 towers over 500' tall, you can't book a single hotel room above that height. It's one of the rare skyscraper superlatives that detroit has over chicago.

A lot of US (and world) cities have that superlative over Chicago surprisingly. Chicago may be the only major world skyscraper city without a sky-scraping hotel room.

Hopefully some of the new developments will change that.

Even NYC only has a few ~700 foot hotels. Asian cities have 1k+ foot hotel rooms all over the place.

Maybe we just don't like high hotels in the west :shrug:

Quote:

The tallest all-hotel tower in chicago is the hotel intercontinental (the old medina athletic club tower from 1929) at 471', but the top of the tower has a lot of unoccupied architectural embellishments, so I think the tallest hotel room that you can actually book in chicago is in the 460' tall chicago marriott built in 1978.
Yea, and Swisshotel is basically tied, perhaps higher occupied-wise.

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...l-chicago/4362


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.