SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Lowrise/General Developments Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160247)

McBane Oct 12, 2018 2:37 PM

^ Just to clarify, I wasn't staking a position on the high-rise vs townhome debate; rather just acknowledging that there are plenty of people out there who prefer a townhome and for some folks, the decision comes down to the condo fees (a factor that likely diminishes at the higher price points). And just to play devil's advocate, there are quieter streets (like Manning, Delancey, Panama, etc.) as well as smaller alleys that offer lots of privacy.

iheartphilly Oct 12, 2018 2:45 PM

^
I know. For brevity, the discussion wasn't addressed to both of you but collated into one response. I'm familiar with the pros and cons of both abodes and the streets you mentioned. Boils down to one's preference and which I've stated mine.

Groundhog Oct 12, 2018 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgrath618 (Post 8343084)
Funny you all should mention extending the BSL...
Philly's New Transportation Plan: CONNECT
https://whyy.org/articles/killing-se...ortation-plan/

Love love love! This is the first I'm hearing of a stop at 20th and Market even being on the table - did I miss something or is this completely new?

Right now the trolleys get the job done on west Market, would this be redundant?

Urbanthusiat Oct 12, 2018 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 8343957)
Love love love! This is the first I'm hearing of a stop at 20th and Market even being on the table - did I miss something or is this completely new?

Right now the trolleys get the job done on west Market, would this be redundant?

Transfering to a trolley at 15th or 30th to get to 20th is definitely not seamless or convenient. Nor is it a comfortable distance to walk for people that might have disabilities. It would definitely remove some transport friction in that part of town. I wouldn't say it should be one of SEPTA's top priorities, because like you said, it's doable to get their via trolley. But if they can do it at a decent cost (big if), it'd definitely be helpful and used.

eixample Oct 12, 2018 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boku (Post 8342615)
Pricey townhouses planned at former Lombard St. garage site near Rittenhouse Square

http://www2.philly.com/philly/busine...-20181011.html

Gotta say, I am NOT a fan of this. Not this particular development, nor am I blaming the developer, but I wish we were building 4-6 story apartment buildings (with no parking) on these kinds of sites in center city. We could house a lot more people in an apartment building than in these rowhomes on steroids.

In other news, per the Inquirer, the University of the Arts is considering building a new residence hall on or near South Broad, which could result in the school selling an existing dorm. A decision is expected within a month. U of Arts is also renovating a bunch of their other buildings, including the Gersman Y building.

City Wide Oct 12, 2018 5:58 PM

Quote:

Don't get too excited; all this is is the City saying something, but not even promising to do planning. It's a goal with no commitment to do anything. Then SEPTA would need to get involved and they can make a simple planning task take years, so something as complicated as redoing mass transit under Market St. west would take decades. Remember that SEPTA is trying to work through many, many years of deferred maintenance, shinny new projects just don't seem to interest them right now (unless there is $$$ to do planning, then they are all in)

Redddog Oct 12, 2018 9:07 PM

Just heard a little dirt on a project in Old City (I apologize no pictures to support).

So corner of Arch and 2nd (southeast corner) there is one of those restaurant supply shops that have been there since forever. Walking my dog, I ran into an older Old Citier who was trying to NIMBY a project. Apparently the owners of DiNardos is turning the corner building into a boutique hotel with a bar/restaurant downstairs. The liquor license application is posted.

Ms Nimby asked for my support to join with the OCCA (which I think is defunct) to stop the project. I walked away thinking "this would be awesome!" She was like "I don't want all these drunk college kids rampaging through my neighborhood. We have to stop this!" I believe zoning would allow them to do whatever they want.

I wonder why the immediate response is to go there?

Anyway, it's significant. There has been push back against issuing liquor licenses anywhere between Market and Race and if this broke the seal, we could get a little more cool development in the hood. Also, hope to see a better version of DiNardos reappear.

Starting to see some really nice stuff happening on 2nd, the red-headed stepchild of Old City Numbered streets.

Londonee Oct 12, 2018 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eixample (Post 8344026)
Gotta say, I am NOT a fan of this. Not this particular development, nor am I blaming the developer, but I wish we were building 4-6 story apartment buildings (with no parking) on these kinds of sites in center city. We could house a lot more people in an apartment building than in these rowhomes on steroids.

I mean, this is Fitler Square. The city needs more people BUYING multi-million dollar properties with skin in the game. When you plunk 3mil down on a single home, you will be active and involved and hold the city accountable. There’s enough inventory for everyone.

Now a multistory owner focused condo building here? I’d get behind that. In terms of the design - it doesn’t look great - but, again, this is FS, you can’t move product like this unless it’s incredibly well done. I’d expect all the exterior finishes to be very polished and refined.

iheartphilly Oct 12, 2018 10:33 PM

^
I believe there was a recent Philly.com article saying that in the last year or two, more multi-million dollar homes were sold in CC then ever. I would think a desirable location (checked) and design (not checked) would do that. Time will tell if these homes will sell because of the design vs location/design vs location. I think there's more competition in this price range now more than ever so design does matter, at least to those that are looking for something that's unique and stands out.

jsbrook Oct 13, 2018 2:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartphilly (Post 8343741)
JSBrook and McBane- I'm just not a fan of town-homes in the city. Personally, I don't like multi-level living and a small rectangular footprint (e.g., 15x40) and these homes butting up to the street with small sidewalks and no privacy. True story-a guy was charging his cell phone for well over an hour on my outlet outside of my front entrance. Creepy. With a town home, you get 3-5 floors and yes you get the square footage, but I'm a fan of large floor plates like 1500sq ft to 2000sq ft in a 2-3 bedroom and small office configuration with a large open kitchen/dining/living area. Plus having skyline views is a bonus. Doesn't have to be the highest floors. 2.8 MM can't get me that in the Laurel. I'm not asking for the penthouse...LOL.

Me too, frankly. I'm OK with two-story living for practical purposes. Or the equivalent, where there is essentially an entertainment floor and master bedroom floor and some other floors But even the multimillion dollar townhomes are generally too narrow for my liking. Novo is one of the exceptions. Up to 31' wide with a spacious living room, kitchen, dining area for entertaining as a standalone floor, a master bedroom floor and a separate entertainment basement and great roof deck. Plus additional bedroom floors. But to each their own. And with 2 or more kids, a lot of people -- even wealthy ones -- have no choice. Condos are out. A 3,500 square foot condo at the Laurel with 3-4 bedrooms will run well over $5 million (the 2,500 square floor 3 bedroom is already about $3.6 million) compared to less than $3 million for this. These seem likely to be on the lines of Novo, but I'm interested in seeing the actual floor plans once they are released.

Philly5641 Oct 14, 2018 2:50 PM

Does anyone have details on the Fashion District of Philadelphia Digital signs - did they scratch them out of the plan - or did they limit the sings down to a few?

Jayfar Oct 14, 2018 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly5641 (Post 8345616)
Does anyone have details on the Fashion District of Philadelphia Digital signs - did they scratch them out of the plan - or did they limit the sings down to a few?

As far as I know the signage still figures prominently. It may be a while – remember FDP is still a year away from completion.

http://www.fashiondistrictphiladelphia.com/Development

blart Oct 14, 2018 9:47 PM

From Saturday, 10-13
American & Master Sts, across from the Crane building.

https://i.imgur.com/l9pY1C3.jpg

Gerdman Oct 15, 2018 12:51 PM

Anybody remember this:

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/woods-square

I haven't seen anything on this in a while. I know there is that project next to it that is (i'm guessing) almost finished. Were the plans for this scrapped?

Urbanthusiat Oct 15, 2018 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blart (Post 8345854)
From Saturday, 10-13
American & Master Sts, across from the Crane building.

What project is this?

Londonee Oct 15, 2018 2:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayfar (Post 8345622)
As far as I know the signage still figures prominently. It may be a while – remember FDP is still a year away from completion.

http://www.fashiondistrictphiladelphia.com/Development

I posted this a bit ago, but there are definitely places on the building that the renderings shows having screens where, presently, there's no indication that anything is going there. The facade is finished, but there's no bracing, brackets, wiring. Nothing that says within 6-8 months there will be massive, multi-story screens here. We heard a few months ago that the project was over-budget...the first thing that they'd eliminate would be the exterior signage (even though over the longterm they are a money-maker). We'll see, fingers crossed.

East Market looks fantastic at night with the signage. It's bright, it's clean, it'd modern. I saw people taking selfies on Saturday night in front of Iron Hill. I repeat, people were taking selfies on Market East....!!!

blart Oct 15, 2018 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat (Post 8346223)
What project is this?

I don't know... there has been digging there for a while. If there was a sign saying what it is, I didn't walk past it.

My guess is more housing.

PHL10 Oct 15, 2018 4:02 PM

Today:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1949/...74174779_b.jpg

Londonee Oct 15, 2018 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHL10 (Post 8346336)
Today:

I'm eager to check out the Cherry Street pier soon...has anyone been? It still looks like it could use a simple coat of paint, especially on the exterior? Does not look inviting from Race Street Pier. A clean, battleship gray with the stone and black roof would look sharp. Just kinda looks dirty still? Assuming it feels cleaner and nicer on the inside?

volguus zildrohar Oct 15, 2018 6:46 PM

Quote:

That idea has been bandied about for years. It's wishlist material. A station at 18th & Market was part of the comprehensive proposal for ACC about a decade ago. The idea isn't impossible but that kind of money is much better spent elsewhere in the SEPTA system right now.