SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187593)

VANRIDERFAN Mar 9, 2015 6:22 PM

Rogers Pass has to be the most difficult area to build. I wonder if it would be cheaper in the long run to dig a tunnel under RP, much like the CPR did.

splashflash Mar 9, 2015 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 6943812)
Rogers Pass has to be the most difficult area to build. I wonder if it would be cheaper in the long run to dig a tunnel under RP, much like the CPR did.

These figures quoted can't get much higher. My guess is that the billions did include tunnels.

Upgrading and building alternate routes anyone?

Eg. Kananaskis route across Great Divide and south to Elkford
Nakusp to Invermere, tunnelling under the Bugaboos - or through Jumbo Pass

Multiple alternate routes may be cheaper and serve more communities.

Metro-One Mar 10, 2015 1:37 AM

I have always wondered this as well, would be great just to build a better, more direct new route.

Of course, this would really require a decent federal led national highway program, which sadly Canada does not have.

Canadian Mind Mar 21, 2015 4:49 AM

Pretty sure the route is about as direct as it can get given the terrain.

That said, if BC could build the Coquahalla 25 years ago and it can be driven at 120 end to end, there is no reason why that can't be done for the rest of the #1. That said, the #5 would be easier to twin, despite it's lower usage. Maybe it'd be used more if it was twinned and 120kph instead of single lane and 80-100. :shrug:

We really do need a national freeway system that links all the major cities, economically important centres, and minor territorial/provincial centres. Build it to be driven at 120kph; provinces can opt for a higher design limit if they wish, but they have to contribute the extra costs of construction and maintenance. Set it up so that the speed limit varies based on road conditions.

I'm not sure which Highways I'd nominate for the system out east. Out west I'd nominate Hwy 1 from Horseshoe Bay to Hope, as well as Highway 17 from Tsawwassen to the Hwy 1 interchange. From Hope, #5 to Kamloops, and then along the #1 again all the way to the Ontario Border. I'd also suggest the 97 all the way up through Prince George and Whitehorse to Alaska, and the 16 along it's whole length from Prince Rupert to the Hwy 1 interchange west of Winnipeg. Other Highways to consider to make it networked would be the #5 from Kamloops to the #16 interchange near Valemount, Hwy 4 from the Montana border to Lethbridge, Hwy 3 from Lethbridge to the Hwy 2 interchange near Fort Macleod, and Hwy 2 all the way up to Edmonton. A route from Edmonton to Yellowknife. A route from Yellowknife to Whitehorse. A route from Saskatoon to Regina to the American border through Estevan, and a route from Churchill to Winnipeg to the American border.

I get that a number of these would be impractical. But I believe that the only way to truly open up the north to economic growth in a beneficial way to the nation is to make it more accessible and more practical to live there. This will encourage more people to settle up there, make products for people already living up there cheaper, and god forbid should we end up fighting over the arctic the logistical infrastructure would be in place for ground deployment and supplying of military assets.

Dylan Leblanc Apr 1, 2015 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc (Post 6864870)

Some action on the Duncan by-pass - http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=579939

Canadian Mind Apr 2, 2015 2:09 PM

That's good news Dylan, thanks for sharing. Will it be 2 lane or 4 lane, 80kph, 100kph, etc?

splashflash Apr 2, 2015 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Mind (Post 6974858)
That's good news Dylan, thanks for sharing. Will it be 2 lane or 4 lane, 80kph, 100kph, etc?

Nothing has been promised by the provincial government and this potential project has not been listed in the 10 Year Plan.

Infrequent Poster Apr 8, 2015 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Mind (Post 6974858)

This is BC. It will be two lanes littered with stoplights, four way intersections and a 50 kph speed limit.

SOSS Apr 8, 2015 6:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster (Post 6981682)
This is BC. It will be two lanes littered with stoplights, four way intersections and a 50 kph speed limit.

lol. Although true for historical BC roads, they are getting better. Look at the SFPR; its a lengthy road with limited lights.

Infrequent Poster Apr 8, 2015 6:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOSS (Post 6981740)
lol. Although true for historical BC roads, they are getting better. Look at the SFPR; its a lengthy road with limited lights.

I know, just being a cynic. I'm not going to touch your comment about SFPR, because that will just be a bunch more cynical shit. I do agree BC roads are getting better. They still have a long ways to go though.

craner Apr 10, 2015 3:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster (Post 6981682)

:haha:

Stingray2004 Apr 11, 2015 3:37 PM

As someone who utilizes Hwy 3 from the coast to the southern Okanagan Valley, am happy to see, after all of these years, some improvement east of the Sunday Summit section with its 1949-era gradients and hairpin turns.

Looks like BC MoT is about to smoothen out that 5 km section with a $28 million realignment.

https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...a9&oe=55E2455B

Denscity Apr 11, 2015 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 6986565)
As someone who utilizes Hwy 3 from the coast to the southern Okanagan Valley, am happy to see, after all of these years, some improvement east of the Sunday Summit section with its 1949-era gradients and hairpin turns.

Looks like BC MoT is about to smoothen out that 5 km section with a $28 million realignment.

My mayor is part of the Highway 3 Coalition and they voted to make the Hope-Princeton their number one priority for improvement. They took this info to the Province and voila - here comes some improvements.

As a long time resident of Castlegar, a Highway 3 city, ive been taking the Crowsnest to Vancouver for 4 decades. So happy to see these improvements coming!!

SOSS Apr 15, 2015 5:32 PM

I'm glad to see these improvements coming too. Small and incremental will add up.

go_leafs_go02 Apr 15, 2015 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 6986565)

Virtually all of Highway 3 from Sunday Summit to the top of the Mine Hill will be reconstructed and widened in the next few years now. The first part finished late last year, the 2nd phase is underway, and the 3rd phase is what was announced..

Still these areas are the easiest ones to do. Still some very tight 2-lane sections that will be very expensive to complete, that are arguably more dangerous than anything in this section.

Still good to see overall.

Canadian Mind Apr 16, 2015 1:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 6986856)
My mayor is part of the Highway 3 Coalition and they voted to make the Hope-Princeton their number one priority for improvement. They took this info to the Province and voila - here comes some improvements.

As a long time resident of Castlegar, a Highway 3 city, ive been taking the Crowsnest to Vancouver for 4 decades. So happy to see these improvements coming!!

I don't drive those highways regularly. Drove it last Christmas towing a jeep on one of them U-Haul trailers that has surge brakes. Fresh snow. I was happy to have snow tires. It was actually a fair bit of fun (drove at night, no other cars).

Airboy Apr 29, 2015 5:19 PM

Great to see 3 getting some upgrades.
Just came through Yellowhead from Van to Edmonton yesterday. Overall better conditions that 2 years ago when I last did it. However. TCH needs to be 3 lanes all the way to Chillawack. and to many left laners as well. As for the Yellowhead east of Kamloops, if they can 4 lane it to Barrier ( that is the tough spot) then add more passing lanes. the drive is more or less easy. even with the truck traffic. Only real issue was a few SLOW drivers and a forest fire at Mount Robson.

Canadian Mind May 2, 2015 4:32 AM

Apparently what was highway 1 before the Rogers pass is now highway 23. but highway 23 stops at the Mika Damn. Is it still possible to go the full route along the Columbia past the Mika Damn?

SOSS May 2, 2015 5:54 AM

I don't know if its possible. However if you were going to go that far north I would say improve the Yellowhead from Hwy 5 Kamloops through to Jasper. But I just don't see that route making sense.

They have also already completed so much work in the Kicking Horse Canyon area; arguably an area more challenging to complete then Rogers Pass.

kev_427 May 2, 2015 7:28 AM

The route was flooded when the dam was built IIRC.