SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187593)

craner Feb 25, 2020 4:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2009 (Post 8833615)
I live in the Okanagan and there really is very little density and not much traffic south of Penticton in both Canada and even moreso on the US side. The largest towns (Osoyoos, Oliver and Omak) each only have around 4-5k people and Okanogan county only has a population of 40k. Its not about preserving the vibe, there really isn't a need for grade seperation and the money is better spent elsewhere in BC (and elsewhere in Washington state)

There definitely should be an investment on completely 4 laning and grade seperating the 97 north of Penticton though, the route is quite busy

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2009 (Post 8833777)
Traffic is usally pretty smooth down to Osoyoos, you can usually drive 80-100kph and there aren't many light. Eventual 4 laning would probably be enough for the area imo unless they have a great deal of growth or the americans substantially updgrade the highway on their side

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuzika (Post 8838870)
Further to that point, Hwy 97 between Swan Lake (Vernon) and Monte Creek has lighter traffic volumes as well and is the only part of Hwy 97 that's not part of the National Highway System. There would be better cas for making Hwy 97A & 97B four lanes between Swan Lake and Salmon Arm, and I agree with some sort of for lane, limited access highway between the Trans Canada Highway and Penticton.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 8835292)
And yes, south of Penticton freeway grade is definitely not needed. Between Penticton and Salmon Arm, yes.

Phase one should focus on upgrading the sections between Penticton to West Kelowna and UBC to Vernon to freeway standards.

Agreed on all counts.

DKaz Feb 25, 2020 4:37 PM

It's not needed, until you're stuck behind a Canadream going 20 under the limit.

jimmyboy95 Apr 25, 2020 4:37 AM

Yeah, for the time being, I can't really see any major changes happening to Route 97 south of Penticton, or US-97 in Washington.

I did, however, read about the proposed Interstate 11. This highway could someday stretch from the Mexico border through Arizona, Nevada (small stretch of it already exists in Las Vegas area), and then through the Inland Northwest to reach the Canadian border. It is known as the 'Intermountain West Corridor' and its part of the CANAMEX corridor plans. Not exactly sure where it would lead on the approach to the Canadian border but will likely pass through the Spokane area. That means it would reach the border somewhere between Grand Forks and Creston. I wonder what would connect to it on the Canadian side? Could it be an extension of the Okanagan Connector through to the Kootenays?

craner Apr 26, 2020 10:33 PM

^I hope they opt for a more easterly connection in Canada. :D
As per my post in the Albera Highway Construction thread:

Rather than Howse Pass, I would like to see an improved route from Calgary to Spokane, WA (and thus Seattle) as an economic trade stimulator. Routing through Cranbrook and connecting with US 95 in Idaho down to I-90.
Selfishly if they could route it so it cut the time it takes to drive from Calgary to the Radium/Windermere/Fairmont area that would be appreciated.

I’ve read about the proposed “Interstate 11” - sounds like a very long ways off (if it ever happens at all).

dmuzika Apr 27, 2020 1:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craner (Post 8904800)
^I hope they opt for a more easterly connection in Canada. :D
As per my post in the Albera Highway Construction thread:

Rather than Howse Pass, I would like to see an improved route from Calgary to Spokane, WA (and thus Seattle) as an economic trade stimulator. Routing through Cranbrook and connecting with US 95 in Idaho down to I-90.
Selfishly if they could route it so it cut the time it takes to drive from Calgary to the Radium/Windermere/Fairmont area that would be appreciated.

I’ve read about the proposed “Interstate 11” - sounds like a very long ways off (if it ever happens at all).

Interstate 11, especially north of Spokane, would be a bit of a pipe dream; however, Idaho is slowly improving US 95 north of Coeur d'Alene and Alberta has long-term plans to twin the Crowsnest Hwy to the BC border. Even if it wasn't to interstate standards, a potential Calgary-Spokane Corridor could follow US/BC 95 and BC/AB 3 between I-90 and Fort Macleod. I think the Yahk-Alberta section of the Crowsnest could probably be expanded to four lanes fairly easy compared to other sections of the Crowsnest or Trans-Canada - the question is whether BC would be interested improving sections of highway that benefit a small proportion of its population.

Dengler Avenue Apr 27, 2020 1:29 AM

"The question is whether BC would be interested in improving sections of highway that benefit a small proportion of its population."

I think the answer is a flat out no. C'mon, it's B.C. Since when do we dare to upset tree huggers in the lower mainland? (Admittedly I used to be one too.) Just watch: When the stimulus package comes out, it will contain little to nothing about highways.

Digression: As for Coeur d'Alene, IDOT will need to find ways to make I-90 to U.S. 95 north free-flowing. Afterward, grade-separating U.S. 95 on the current alignment shouldn't be extremely difficult.

craner Apr 27, 2020 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuzika (Post 8904899)
Interstate 11, especially north of Spokane, would be a bit of a pipe dream; however, Idaho is slowly improving US 95 north of Coeur d'Alene and Alberta has long-term plans to twin the Crowsnest Hwy to the BC border. Even if it wasn't to interstate standards, a potential Calgary-Spokane Corridor could follow US/BC 95 and BC/AB 3 between I-90 and Fort Macleod. I think the Yahk-Alberta section of the Crowsnest could probably be expanded to four lanes fairly easy compared to other sections of the Crowsnest or Trans-Canada - the question is whether BC would be interested improving sections of highway that benefit a small proportion of its population.

Good to hear they are improving US95 north of I-90.
I agree - a four lane connection between Calgary & Spokane would be adequate - doesn’t require full interstate standards. Seems at least somewhat of a realistic possibility. Alberta would likely have to share the cost of the portion through BC for the reason you mention.
:cheers:

Dengler Avenue Apr 27, 2020 12:02 PM

How should it go then? AB-3, B.C.-3, B.C.-395, then U.S. 395, or AB-3, B.C.-3, B.C.-95, U.S. 95, U.S. 2, then U.S. 395?

dmuzika Apr 27, 2020 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8905111)
How should it go then? AB-3, B.C.-3, B.C.-395, then U.S. 395, or AB-3, B.C.-3, B.C.-95, U.S. 95, U.S. 2, then U.S. 395?

Probably not BC/US 395 all the way to the border. From Spokane it goes further west and doesn't really benefit the Canadian population. Also, Kootenay Pass, located between Creston and Salmo, is higher than Rogers Pass and one the highest highway mountain passes opened year-round, so any north-south traffic would want to avoid that. As an aside, I wonder if US 395 could be rerouted at Kettle Falls, WA to follow WA 25 north? It becomes BC 22 and goes through Trail and Castlegar, seemingly better connecting to populated areas in BC better than dead-ending at Hwy 3, 4 km after crossing the Canada/US border. I've never drove WA 25 so I don't know what the road is like.

Back to Spokane-Coeur d'Alene, the North Spokane Corridor is a freeway under construction that will head from I-90 north out of Spokane and will singed as US 395, so US 2 could be an option; I don't know if it's viable to twin US 2 (haven't taken it), especially between Newport and Sandpoint. US 95 in Coeur d'Alene is a bit congested, but it also has a pretty wide ROW and is limited access, so at minimum IDOT could widen it to 6+ lanes (probably should anyway) or even squeeze in an urban freeway - if BC had a road like that they probably would but standards are a little different down south.

Denscity Apr 28, 2020 6:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuzika (Post 8905348)
Probably not BC/US 395 all the way to the border. From Spokane it goes further west and doesn't really benefit the Canadian population. Also, Kootenay Pass, located between Creston and Salmo, is higher than Rogers Pass and one the highest highway mountain passes opened year-round, so any north-south traffic would want to avoid that. As an aside, I wonder if US 395 could be rerouted at Kettle Falls, WA to follow WA 25 north? It becomes BC 22 and goes through Trail and Castlegar, seemingly better connecting to populated areas in BC better than dead-ending at Hwy 3, 4 km after crossing the Canada/US border. I've never drove WA 25 so I don't know what the road is like.

Back to Spokane-Coeur d'Alene, the North Spokane Corridor is a freeway under construction that will head from I-90 north out of Spokane and will singed as US 395, so US 2 could be an option; I don't know if it's viable to twin US 2 (haven't taken it), especially between Newport and Sandpoint. US 95 in Coeur d'Alene is a bit congested, but it also has a pretty wide ROW and is limited access, so at minimum IDOT could widen it to 6+ lanes (probably should anyway) or even squeeze in an urban freeway - if BC had a road like that they probably would but standards are a little different down south.

Yes through Castlegar!

lubicon Apr 28, 2020 6:22 PM

Logically north of Spokane it should angle through Sandpoint and enter Canada at Kingsgate / Eastport on Hwy 95.

craner Apr 28, 2020 9:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubicon (Post 8906478)
Logically north of Spokane it should angle through Sandpoint and enter Canada at Kingsgate / Eastport on Hwy 95.

That’s what I was thinking.

flipper316 May 1, 2020 4:25 AM

https://twitter.com/GlobalBC/status/...890521088?s=19

Dengler Avenue May 1, 2020 6:40 PM

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.14573...8i6656!5m1!1e4

Wth, if you keep going west, the lane painting is wrong!

Dengler Avenue May 6, 2020 10:58 PM

TCH Twinning Near Chase Greenlighted

https://canada.constructconnect.com/...se-moves-ahead

Woot, woot! Has anyone else seen this yet? :D

Metro-One May 6, 2020 11:48 PM

Wait just a minute!

That’s a major downgrade.

The interchange was the preferred option.

Now it is two protected T intersections?

What the fuck!

Send letter now!

Dengler Avenue May 6, 2020 11:50 PM

Oops my habit of not reading the entire article is biting me hard.

Metro-One May 6, 2020 11:54 PM

I literally just looked at their website the other week, and this was the selected design for phase one:

Here is phase one which will begin construction this year I believe:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d1848942_o.jpgChase5 by Ian, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b800e7c0_o.jpgChase1 by Ian, on Flickr

This was after all the consultations and had been the chosen design for years!

What the fuck is with this sudden out of left field downgrade!!!???

Metro-One May 7, 2020 12:22 AM

Just checked the website, it has literally just been changed.

Project officially downgraded from a single interchange to 2 at grade protected T intersections.

Only contact info is this:

Maike Schimpf
Project Manager
Telephone: 250 828-4976

Someone call this guy and get answers as to what the fuck happened.

Dengler Avenue May 7, 2020 12:25 AM

NDP cheap-out just as with B.C.-19