SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=187593)

DKaz Aug 2, 2018 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8268568)
lack of shoulder on Port Mann I heard,

If there was a shoulder on any of the bridges here, people would complain that you can squeeze another lane on the bridge. Vancouver is landlocked by large bodies of water that are shipping routes so bridges aren't cheap to build here, so wasting money on shoulders when there is a lack of capacity to cross these water ways will not go over well with taxpayers.

The cost of replacing the Lions Gate Bridge will easily be $2 billion.

craner Aug 2, 2018 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by che4ef (Post 8269811)
Hello all,
Very interesting article in Maple Ridge - Pit Meadows News with author Tom Fletcher.
Title:
"B.C. Highway 1 widening to Alberta demanded for decades"
www.mapleridgenews.com
As it was mentioned above NDP is going for unionized workers and will cost extra. Defending this decision they said that most of projects from previous government were over budget and temporary workers were used.
Number of projects underway including Kicking Horse 4th phase that is about to start.
Good news over all.

Regards

Yes some good news but how much longer are we stuck with this union loving government in BC ?

Denscity Aug 2, 2018 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craner (Post 8270501)
Yes some good news but how much longer are we stuck with this union loving government in BC ?

Well it was 12years with the other guys so at least to the end of this new term.

che4ef Aug 2, 2018 7:27 PM

After some point I do not care anymore if it is union, foreign workers or martians. Just get the job done. It is really annoying not just for the travelers but for the industries across Canada.
You are right that we need federal highway program.
Funny enough, Justin Trudeau wants to increase our trade with Asia. Good, very good but where is the damn stupid infrastructure? Lower Mainland contains more than 1.4 million people and including Vancouver goes over 2 million with only one highway? OK, they build South Fraser Perimeter Road and somebody brave enough called it highway and put two big intersections with traffic lights on both ends. Constant troubles. By the way Massey Tunnel is not going to be touched any time soon or at least not in the next 2 years.

Anyway, I am going to Banff next week. Hopefully will put some pictures after.

Regards

lubicon Aug 2, 2018 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by che4ef (Post 8270564)
After some point I do not care anymore if it is union, foreign workers or martians. Just get the job done. It is really annoying not just for the travelers but for the industries across Canada.
You are right that we need federal highway program.
Funny enough, Justin Trudeau wants to increase our trade with Asia. Good, very good but where is the damn stupid infrastructure? Lower Mainland contains more than 1.4 million people and including Vancouver goes over 2 million with only one highway? OK, they build South Fraser Perimeter Road and somebody brave enough called it highway and put two big intersections with traffic lights on both ends. Constant troubles. By the way Massey Tunnel is not going to be touched any time soon or at least not in the next 2 years.

Anyway, I am going to Banff next week. Hopefully will put some pictures after.

Regards

Agreed on the need to upgade the highway infrastructure desperately. But I will also point out there was one piece of infrastructure that was going to be 100% privately financed and was in large part intended for increasing exports to Asia and the BC government is fighting it tooth and nail. So not sure what the priorities of the BC gov't are. They want increased trade but they don't want increased trade it seems.

craner Aug 2, 2018 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by che4ef (Post 8270564)
After some point I do not care anymore if it is union, foreign workers or martians. Just get the job done. It is really annoying not just for the travelers but for the industries across Canada.
You are right that we need federal highway program.
Funny enough, Justin Trudeau wants to increase our trade with Asia. Good, very good but where is the damn stupid infrastructure? Lower Mainland contains more than 1.4 million people and including Vancouver goes over 2 million with only one highway? OK, they build South Fraser Perimeter Road and somebody brave enough called it highway and put two big intersections with traffic lights on both ends. Constant troubles. By the way Massey Tunnel is not going to be touched any time soon or at least not in the next 2 years.

Anyway, I am going to Banff next week. Hopefully will put some pictures after.

Regards

:haha: We'll probably be able to recruit martians by the time the TCH is 4-laned through BC.

flipper316 Aug 3, 2018 6:52 AM

https://www.revelstokereview.com/new...is-on-the-way/

che4ef Aug 3, 2018 6:05 PM

" But I will also point out there was one piece of infrastructure that was going to be 100% privately financed and was in large part intended for increasing exports to Asia and the BC government is fighting it tooth and nail. "

Do you know where specifically? Any information will be useful.

Perhaps you know there was big fight against privatization ("recycling asset" bastards called it now) about the airports and ports and it is still not abounded as an idea. Private entities would not touch it unless there is more than 8% return. That what they said to present government. I have to find the article... No time right know.
Globe and Mail

There is one thing being completed right now along with surrounding road network.
Tsawwassen Container Examination Facility

Once this thing got completed (nothing is being build right now there) the whole traffic is going to be so much fun, with current roads.Roberts Bank Terminal Expansion

Federals are giving big money right know to rail companies (all private) I believe as an subsidies for upgrading their infrastructure. Rails have big lobbies.
Transport Canada Infrastructure Projects

And still road networks that are in national interest are provincial responsibility contrary to rails which makes me hit my head with something heavy.

But heeey, there is one area of the highway being Federal responsibility and they are working really hard upgrading it: Yoho National Park Projects
Rogers Pass Area is being completely demolished. Everything. That what they told me in their visitor center. They will rebuild the whole thing. No renderings or I cannot find any. https://www.revelstokereview.com/

Regards

craner Aug 3, 2018 6:54 PM

^ che4ef:
I believe lubicon was referring to the Kinder-Morgan Trans-Mountain Pipeline expansion.

jimmyboy95 Aug 22, 2018 5:05 AM

It would be nice to see some improvements to 5A between Merritt and Aspen Grove. Lets face it, the Kingsvale Cutoff plans are dead in the water. It simply ain't gonna happen. Thank Harry Lali and the NDP of the 90s for that one! At minimum, the route should be divided by median barrier and an interchange added at Aspen Grove. I'm not sure the exact solution for the numerous driveways and road turnoffs along the way, but possibly protected T intersections and frontage roads as they are all rarely used. Theres obviously lots of other important projects that need doing around BC for too much money to be dumped into this. The highway should have been upgraded to freeway standards in the first place, but remember this is BC, roads are built for political reasons not common sense. At least its better than it used to be. I remember when it was only 2 lanes from the Hamilton brake check to Aspen Grove! THAT was a mess! You went from an awesome modern freeway to a 2 lane country road at 80km/h. Lots of bad accidents along there.

Dengler Avenue Aug 22, 2018 5:28 AM

First and foremost, BC needs to reconfigure that stupid interchange between 5 and 5A.

Metro-One Aug 22, 2018 5:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8289237)
First and foremost, BC needs to reconfigure that stupid interchange between 5 and 5A.

Do you mean 5 and 97C? Pretty sure that 5A is the old Nicola highway that goes from Merritt to Kamloops. (Which by the way is probably one of the most scenic drives in Canada and during the summer I highly recommend it. )

Dengler Avenue Aug 22, 2018 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 8289249)
Do you mean 5 and 97C? Pretty sure that 5A is the old Nicola highway that goes from Merritt to Kamloops. (Which by the way is probably one of the most scenic drives in Canada and during the summer I highly recommend it. )

Yes. My bad. I thought 97C and 5A are concurrent all the way to Merritt.

flipper316 Aug 23, 2018 8:10 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...oute-1.4796304

jimmyboy95 Aug 24, 2018 4:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8289237)
First and foremost, BC needs to reconfigure that stupid interchange between 5 and 5A.

Agreed. Its a Parclo B2 interchange. It would make sense if it was just a side road, but not for a highway junction. Now that the Info Centre is closed, it makes that much more sense for it to be revamped.

And yes the old highway from Merritt to Kamloops is indeed an awesome route. As is the Douglas Lake Road. Take a picnic.

splashflash Aug 31, 2018 7:37 PM

Malahat village highway paving complete
 
https://www.cheknews.ca/construction...change-485107/


http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dri...rridor_map.jpg

libtard Sep 8, 2018 8:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubicon (Post 8270608)
Agreed on the need to upgade the highway infrastructure desperately. But I will also point out there was one piece of infrastructure that was going to be 100% privately financed and was in large part intended for increasing exports to Asia and the BC government is fighting it tooth and nail. So not sure what the priorities of the BC gov't are. They want increased trade but they don't want increased trade it seems.

Seriously? Trying to sneak your trans mountain alterior motive into the BC highways thread? This is not the place. Stay classy Alberta

libtard Sep 8, 2018 8:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz (Post 8270327)
If there was a shoulder on any of the bridges here, people would complain that you can squeeze another lane on the bridge. Vancouver is landlocked by large bodies of water that are shipping routes so bridges aren't cheap to build here, so wasting money on shoulders when there is a lack of capacity to cross these water ways will not go over well with taxpayers.

The cost of replacing the Lions Gate Bridge will easily be $2 billion.

Who cares if people complain? That doesn’t make the lack of shoulders on the bridges in BC ok. Stop making excuses for our value engineer bullsh*t.

craner Sep 14, 2018 8:57 PM

Another collision shut down the TCH west of Revelstoke today I heard. :rolleyes:

240glt Sep 14, 2018 9:05 PM

^ There's nothing on DriveBC or in the Revelstoke Review about that. Cams show very light traffic on the highway today so if something did happen it can't have been that disruptive


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.