SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Alexcaban Aug 30, 2017 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyzer (Post 7907362)
Looks like BA are adding three weekly flights out of Gatwick to YYZ, effective May 1, 2018...

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...hts/new-routes

One word: Bloodbath

TorontoDrew Aug 30, 2017 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyzer (Post 7907362)
Looks like BA are adding three weekly flights out of Gatwick to YYZ, effective May 1, 2018...

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...hts/new-routes



So part of the sell on Toronto is "Make your way to Lake Ontario and Modern Canada Square"


Where is Canada Square in Toronto? I think they messed up, Canada Square is in London.

LeftCoaster Aug 30, 2017 9:31 PM

There is a Canada Square in Toronto, though hardly a tourist destination:
http://www.oxfordproperties.com/leas...-yonge-street/

Pinus Aug 30, 2017 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalreg (Post 7904086)
In Saskatchewan I have 4 weeks annual leave every year. Also I gain annual leave on my overtime, so last year I actually had 33 days total for the year (6.6 weeks).

Saskatchewan isn't the only province that does this mate.

Cage Aug 31, 2017 1:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 7907949)
So part of the sell on Toronto is "Make your way to Lake Ontario and Modern Canada Square"


Where is Canada Square in Toronto? I think they messed up, Canada Square is in London.

I'm willing to bet the final draft had the correct location, Ontario Square. On final review, the VP thought, no one knows about Ontario so lets change it to Canada and call it a day.

I have seen worse write-ups that airlines have put onto their new route announcements.

thenoflyzone Aug 31, 2017 1:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyzer (Post 7907362)
Looks like BA are adding three weekly flights out of Gatwick to YYZ, effective May 1, 2018...

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...hts/new-routes

YYZ-LGW next summer......

4x weekly RV
up to 11x weekly TS
Daily WS
and now
3x weekly BA.

Bloodbath indeed. GoT red wedding style bloodbath.....

G.S MTL Aug 31, 2017 3:05 AM

Bloodbath?? This means not going to work?

jmt18325 Aug 31, 2017 3:09 AM

I don't know, I can't find any killer deals like I could before - all of Europe has actually been insane in terms of vacation packages for about a year.

wave46 Aug 31, 2017 3:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S MTL (Post 7908261)
Bloodbath?? This means not going to work?

The question will be who is left standing.

London-YYZ has a lot of seats on it.

IIRC:

4 daily AC to LHR
2 daily BA to LHR

1 daily Westjet to LGW
1 daily Air Transat to LGW
...and now the 3 weekly BA to LGW

Considering Air Transat is currently hurting and is having its breakfast eaten by Rouge and Westjet, I'd say it is the weakest airline of the bunch.

thenoflyzone Aug 31, 2017 1:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 7908284)
The question will be who is left standing.

Considering Air Transat is currently hurting and is having its breakfast eaten by Rouge and Westjet, I'd say it is the weakest airline of the bunch.

And yet, it operates the most seats/week on YYZ-LGW.

I think this is a move against WS more than anything else. TS has been in the Canada-UK market for years, has a well established tour operator network behind it, and has brand recognition on both sides of the pond.

Westjet, not so much. It is the weakest link, by far. Not to say they are going to bow out of LGW, but they will feel the most impact from BA's additional flights, that is for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if BA decide to launch LGW-YVR or LGW-YYC to further compete against WS. If they're smart, they might forget about YYC and launch LGW-YEG. Alberta's backdoor. Hit'em from behind sort of thing......

wave46 Aug 31, 2017 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7908465)
And yet, it operates the most seats/week on YYZ-LGW.

I think this is a move against WS more than anything else. TS has been in the Canada-UK market for years, has a well established tour operator network behind it, and has brand recognition on both sides of the pond.

Westjet, not so much. It is the weakest link, by far. Not to say they are going to bow out of LGW, but they will feel the most impact from BA's additional flights, that is for sure.

I forgot Rouge's seasonal service to LGW too.

When I was referring to each airline's weakness, I was referring to the overall financial health of each and Air Transat is certainly the weakest on that count.

From a reputation point of view, certainly Westjet has the weakest perception among British travelers, as they botched their rollout in the UK. They don't have the warm-and-fuzzy image there as they do here in Canada.

thenoflyzone Aug 31, 2017 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 7908486)
I forgot Rouge's seasonal service to LGW too.

When I was referring to each airline's weakness, I was referring to the overall financial health of each and Air Transat is certainly the weakest on that count.

From a reputation point of view, certainly Westjet has the weakest perception among British travelers, as they botched their rollout in the UK. They don't have the warm-and-fuzzy image there as they do here in Canada.

Rouge has been around for almost 5 years now. Everyone kept saying TS is going to feel it. Financial health aside, I've only seen them increase their footprint to the Caribbean and Europe. They've even started offering domestic scheduled legs, to connect with their network out of YYZ and YUL.

As for financial health, their operating losses aren't huge. Only $15 million in Q2 2017. Mostly due to Canadian currency weakness and fuel hedging. They're in a slump, there is no denying it, but with the exit of the gaz guzzling A310s and the entry of the A321LR's, things should change. The Canadian dollar is slowly bouncing back, so that should help also.

TS as an air carrier is only one division of Transat AT Inc. The airline can lose money, but Transat Inc. can still recuperate the losses from somewhere else. (not implying they are at the moment)

Transat AT Inc (TRZ) stock price Dec 2012, when Rouge launched: 5.75
TRZ stock price today: 9.22

The company seems to be doing ok.

LeftCoaster Aug 31, 2017 5:46 PM

Monster news from AC regarding YVR:

New 3xPW summer service to Zurich
New 4xPW summer service to Paris
New second daily summer service to London

All on the Dreamliner, presumably 787-9 due to availability but that remains to be seen.

Additionally expanded service to:

Melbourne going year round, 4xPW peak season 3xPW in the off season.
Delhi is being increased as well but no details in the press release, this may just be a re-announcement of the 5xPW from a month ago.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2017...from-Vancouver

Canadian74 Aug 31, 2017 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7908735)
Delhi is being increased as well but no details in the press release, this may just be a re-announcement of the 5xPW from a month ago.

DEL is also going year round, frequency not mentioned, but I guess 3 weekly in summer

SkahHigh Aug 31, 2017 8:18 PM

YUL July stats are out:

1,914,825 +11.4%

Domestic 701,599 +9.7%

International 819,082 +14.5%

Transborder 394,144 +8.4%

YTD 10,469,576 +9.3%

G.S MTL Aug 31, 2017 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkahHigh (Post 7908928)
YUL July stats are out:

1,914,825 +11.4%

Domestic 701,599 +9.7%

International 819,082 +14.5%

Transborder 394,144 +8.4%

YTD 10,469,576 +9.3%

great news for YUL!!

Denscity Sep 1, 2017 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7908735)
Monster news from AC regarding YVR:

New 3xPW summer service to Zurich
New 4xPW summer service to Paris
New second daily summer service to London

All on the Dreamliner, presumably 787-9 due to availability but that remains to be seen.

Additionally expanded service to:

Melbourne going year round, 4xPW peak season 3xPW in the off season.
Delhi is being increased as well but no details in the press release, this may just be a re-announcement of the 5xPW from a month ago.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2017...from-Vancouver

Massive news for YVR!!

thenoflyzone Sep 1, 2017 1:40 AM

So last week was YUL's time to shine. This week it's YVR. So I guess a YYZ announcement next week?

sunsetmountainland Sep 1, 2017 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7909239)
So last week was YUL's time to shine. This week it's YVR. So I guess a YYZ announcement next week?

Lots of great news from the aviation industry in Canada! It seems great news is coming fast and furious all the time! I hope the good times keep rolling!:cheers:

ACT7 Sep 1, 2017 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7909239)
So last week was YUL's time to shine. This week it's YVR. So I guess a YYZ announcement next week?

AC had been reportedly working on finalizing new routes to India so a YYZ announcement is probably imminent. Not sure if that means next week but soonish I would imagine. Johannesburg and Teheran are apparently also in the works.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.