SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

haligonia Feb 16, 2012 3:51 PM

Congrats to Calgary, Halifax and Ottawa! I've never been to Calgary, but YHZ and YOW really are great airports.

Biff Feb 16, 2012 4:44 PM

Congrats to the airports above. I have been to all three and thought they were all very nice. I was very surprised by the size, amenities and overall feel and design of Stanfield in Halifax. I guess Halifax gets a lot of international passengers due to it's location. I liked Ottawa's very much even though i didn't get to spend too much time there (just connecting to Halifax actually). I have spent quite a bit of time in Calgary's and really like it but it keeps changing and growing so fast that it is hard to keep the same feel each time you go.

snowboarder1019 Feb 16, 2012 11:35 PM

You left out one important player;

http://www.flyfortmac.ca/AirportAuth...rtFINALHD.aspx

656,517 people per year ,61,026 aircraft movements in 2010

New 7000 feet runway , new terminal to handle 1,5m per year. Possibility of customs.

isaidso Feb 17, 2012 8:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 5593098)
Congrats to the airports above. I have been to all three and thought they were all very nice. I was very surprised by the size, amenities and overall feel and design of Stanfield in Halifax. I guess Halifax gets a lot of international passengers due to it's location.

Halifax is the 7th busiest airport in the country, just above Winnipeg. One would think that the high ranking is due to international traffic, but 91% of traffic is Canadian or trans-border (to the United States). Halifax benefits from being the principal airport for Atlantic Canada.

halifaxboyns Feb 17, 2012 4:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker (Post 5581453)
Could either use the T3 remote terminal (A gates?), or the infield maybe?
Doesn't seem to be much space to build out a regional operator otherwise, especially one that likely wants preclearance.

From what I recall of the Canadian Days, part of the remote terminal and around gate A7/A8. The infield was held exclusively for the jets as I recall. But I can't remember if the remote terminal was exclusively domestic or if it had portions for US flights or not.

ACT7 Feb 20, 2012 2:22 AM

Had a chance to fly through the new YWG this weekend. Overall, a very nice terminal - don't know if it will be able to attract more flights, but nice job either way. Finally Winnipeg has a real airport.

jmt18325 Feb 20, 2012 4:04 AM

The ner terminal will only attract new flights if it attracts new people. Numbers were up a bit this year, but not to the level they were in 2007.

davidivivid Feb 20, 2012 4:49 AM

Quebec City's airport passenger traffic for 2011:

It has increased by 96% during the last 10 years but more importantly, by 25% during the last 2 years alone. International traffic really has gone up in the last few years, reason why the current expansion is focusing on a new international terminal.

Passager Trafic – 2011

Janvier + 21,5%
Février + 15,5%
Mars + 18,2%
Avril + 8,3%
Mai + 4,9%
Juin + 5,8%
Juillet + 10,4%
Août + 8,5%
Septembre + 2,8%
Octobre - 3,0%
Novembre + 14,8%
Décembre + 11,5%

Breakdown by sector – 2011

Domestic + 4,9%
Transborder + 11,5%
International + 21,8%
Total + 10,4%

Passenger Traffic

2011 1 313 432
2010 1 190 088
2009 1 035 026
2008 1 022 862
2007 877 274
2006 779 587
2005 771 043
2004 711 323
2003 625 980
2002 607 920

isaidso Feb 20, 2012 7:48 AM

That's exceptional growth in Quebec City over the last 10 years.

Dalreg Feb 20, 2012 10:03 AM

Great growth for Quebec City, but very low totals still? 1.4 million total? I would expect to see at least double or triple that for a city the size of that.

eemy Feb 20, 2012 1:02 PM

That absolutely incredible growth. I wonder if the airport authority taking over from Transport Canada has been a factor. Greater lobbying for more routes perhaps?

davidivivid Feb 20, 2012 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalreg (Post 5597658)
Great growth for Quebec City, but very low totals still? 1.4 million total? I would expect to see at least double or triple that for a city the size of that.

Yes, even though the growth is impressive, the total number of passengers is still relatively small considering the size of Quebec City but it is important to remember that historically, Montreal's proximity has always hindered the airport's growth since people didn't mind driving to Montreal's airport because airline companies only operated there. For the same reason, tourists also used to drive between the two cities instead of taking the plane. As a consequence, ticket prices were much higher in the provincial capital, which only exacerbated this situation. However, since the airport reached a critical size in the last few years, the number of airline companies present at Quebec City airport has increased and a new reality is now emerging: lower ticket costs due to increased competition and more national and international direct flights. For example, Continental Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways and Delta Airlines are now all offering flights to multiple US destinations. Growth in domestic passenger traffic is still lagging a bit though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy_haak (Post 5597692)
That absolutely incredible growth. I wonder if the airport authority taking over from Transport Canada has been a factor. Greater lobbying for more routes perhaps?

I do not know if the airport's authority lobbied for more routes (more than likely!) but I can say that the management in place is very competent and has put in place a very ambitious yet thoughful long term plan, which you can consult here in english:

http://www.aeroportdequebec.com/wp-c...n-22062010.pdf

Acajack Feb 20, 2012 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidivivid (Post 5597729)
Yes, even though the growth is impressive, the total number of passengers is still relatively small considering the size of Quebec City but it is important to remember that historically, Montreal's proximity has always hindered the airport's growth since people didn't mind driving to Montreal's airport because airline companies only operated there. For the same reason, tourists also used to drive between the two cities instead of taking the plane. As a consequence, ticket prices were much higher in the provincial capital, which only exacerbated this situation. However, since the airport reached a critical size in the last few years, the number of airline companies present at Quebec City airport has increased and a new reality is now emerging: lower ticket costs due to increased competition and more national and international direct flights. For example, Continental Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways and Delta Airlines are now all offering flights to multiple US destinations. Growth in domestic passenger traffic is still lagging a bit though.

Also, Quebecers very rarely fly within Quebec for personal travel. Everyone uses land transportation, even when going from one end of the province to the other. I live in southwestern Quebec and have many neighbours, friends and colleagues from other parts of the province (Saguenay, Lac-St-Jean, Gaspésie, Côte-Nord), and I have never known anyone who has flown back home for a personal trip.

davidivivid Feb 22, 2012 3:11 AM

The Airports Council International released the results of their Airport Service Quality survey and for the 2nd year in a row, Quebec City's airport was crowned best in North America in the Best Airport Fewer than 2 million passengers category.

Very good performances in general for Canadian airports!!!!!

I. BEST AIRPORTS WORLDWIDE

1) Seoul Incheon (ICN)
2) Singapore (SIN)
3) Hong Kong (HKG)
4) Beijing (PEK)
5) Shanghai Pudong (PVG)

II:BEST AIRPORT BY REGION

Africa

1) Cape Town (CPT)
2) Cairo (CAI)
3) Johannesburg (JNB)
4) Durban (DUR)
5) Nairobi (NBO)

Asia-Pacific

1) Seoul Incheon (ICN)
2) Singapore (SIN)
3) Hong Kong (HKG)
4) Beijing (PEK)
5) Shanghai Pudong (PVG)

Europe
1) Malta (MLA)
2) Porto (OPO)
3) Zurich (ZRH)
4) Copenhagen (CPH)
5) Edinburgh (EDI)

Latin America & Caribbean

1) Cancun (CUN)
2) Guayaquil (GYE)
3) San José (SJO)
4) Montego Bay (MBJ)
5) Mexico City (MEX)

Middle East

1) Dubai (DXB)
2) Abu Dhabi (AUH)
3) Tel Aviv (TLV)
4) Doha (DOH)
5) Dammam (DMM)

North America

1) Indianapolis (IND)
2) Ottawa (YOW)
3) Austin (AUS)
4) Halifax (YHZ)
5) Vancouver (YVR)

III: BEST AIRPORT BY SIZE AIRPORT

2-5 million passengers

1) Ottawa (YOW)
2) Halifax (YHZ)
3) Guayaquil (GYE)
4) Malta (MLA)
5) Porto (OPO)

5 – 15 million passengers

1) Hyderabad (HYD)
2) Nagoya (NGO)
3) Indianapolis (IND)
4) Cancun (CUN)
5) Austin (AUS)

15 – 25 million passengers

1) Seoul Gimpo (GMP)
2) Mumbai (BOM)
3) Vancouver (YVR)
4) Taipei (TPE)
5) Shenzhen (SZX)

25 – 40 million passengers

1) Seoul Incheon (ICN)
2) Singapore (SIN)
3) Shanghai Pudong (PVG)
4) New Delhi (DEL)
5) Kuala Lumpur (KUL)

over 40 million passengers

1) Hong Kong (HKG)
2) Beijing (PEK)
3) Dubai (DXB)
4) Dallas Fort Worth (DFW)
5) Bangkok (BKK)

IV. Best Airport Fewer than 2 million passengers by region

Africa: George (GRJ)
Europe: Humberside (HUY)
Latin America-Caribbean: Bridgetown (BGI)
North America: Quebec City (YQB)

V. Best improvement award by region

Africa: Cape Town (CPT)
Asia Pacific: Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA)
Europe: Bournemouth(BOH)
Middle East: Dubai (DXB)
North America: Vancouver (YVR)
Latin America-Caribbean: San José (SJO)

Airboy Feb 22, 2012 3:30 AM

Was through YWG this morning. Have to say I like it. quite open and light. services are not bad, hell of a lot better than they were.

halifaxboyns Feb 26, 2012 9:38 AM

Posted in error.

halifaxboyns Feb 26, 2012 9:40 AM

I can't remember if I posted this, but since there have been videos about other Airport's - I thought I would post YHZ's 50th Anniversary Video. I thought it was quite well done.

Video

Coldrsx Mar 13, 2012 3:27 PM

Expansion helping YEG, as is the accelerating economy... huge gains

Edmonton International Airport
Passenger Statistics for February 2012

Highlights
• Overall 528,841 passengers (1,061,390 Year to Date)
• Domestic 371,142 passengers (748,794 Year to Date)
• Transborder 108,062 passengers* (211,846 Year to Date)
• International 49,637 passengers (100,750 Year to Date)
• Rolling 12 Month 6,368,412

*New single month record for Transborder

Growth%
• Overall 10.1% (9.4% Year to Date)
• Domestic 9.6% (9.2% Year to Date)
• Transborder 12.3% (11.7% Year to Date)
• International 9.6% (6.6% Year to Date)

dansk Mar 13, 2012 3:51 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with the expansion, as there has been no new routes added, the only frequecy increase has been to IAH.

bkd Mar 13, 2012 5:43 PM

Incredible growth for YEG. Amazing numbers.

Hoping that they continue at this rate all year long.