SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

HurricaneHugo Sep 23, 2022 5:33 AM

Construction starts on Mission Valley’s Riverwalk, now a $4B project

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...mer=googlenews

Streamliner Sep 25, 2022 2:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrapes (Post 9737921)
Here's a wide shot of Bosa's 9th and B from this evening. Anyone know why they still haven't started on the exterior of 800 Broadway?

https://i.imgur.com/i9YXYTB.jpg

And another one of my favorite views lately – 9th and B, 800 Broadway, and Radian 9th and G, from the parking lot next to The Rey:

https://i.imgur.com/AaBV7OK.jpg

Great pictures, can't wait to see this one rise above ground. That area is densifying nicely.

CaliNative Oct 2, 2022 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 9741088)
Great pictures, can't wait to see this one rise above ground. That area is densifying nicely.

How tall and how many floors will 9th and B be? The skyline behind the outfield wall at Petco is becoming increasingly impressive and dense. Petco has been a wonderful catalyst for growth in East Village. But the other side of downtown near the Embacadero and Little Italy is also growing up. I'm losing track of all the construction downtown. Could somebody make a list of all the buildings under construction right now downtiown, at least those over 25 or 30 floors? Floors and height and location (if you have that).

If they ever lift the height limit to 600 or 650 feet in the part of downtown away from Lindbergh, it would complete the skyline with a few 600+ footers. A while ago somebody said that might happen. Are actual discussions on this issue taking place? It would be nice to have a few buildings above the "table top" 500' height. A new city hall at 550-650' along the waterfront for example, with a striking non flat crown lit up at night. A developer could put it up and lease it to the city. No city funds required for construction.

P.S. wish list... I still want a downtown sports arena with at least 18,000 seats so we can attract an NBA and hockey team (or convert the Gulls to big league with expansion draft). Instead we get a smaller instant white elephant in Midway. Missed opportunity. Pro football can wait a bit. Too bad they didn't make the SDSU stadium a bit larger, at least 50,000. Pro team and SDSU could have shared it. Maybe in the future they could expand it. Could a football field be squeezed into Petco? Maybe it would tear up the baseball field, or maybe not. They have those monster truck rallies there, and that is much more damaging...they fix it. Petco holds I believe 45,000. Add another 5,000 temp seats.....football! Lambeau Field in Green Bay is only about 50,000 I believe. The Padres are so popular that adding some seats is a good idea anyway. Better idea....add 10,000 to SDSU. Or play the first few games in SDSU until baseball is over in October, and then switch to football in Petco. Wouldn't even interfere with baseball.

SamFlood Oct 2, 2022 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9748884)
How tall and how many floors will 9th and B be? The skyline behind the outfield wall at Petco is becoming increasingly impressive and dense. Petco has been a wonderful catalyst for growth in East Village. But the other side of downtown near the Embacadero and Little Italy is also growing up. I'm losing track of all the construction downtown. Could somebody make a list of all the buildings under construction right now downtiown, at least those over 25 or 30 floors? Floors and height and location (if you have that).

If they ever lift the height limit to 600 or 650 feet in the part of downtown away from Lindbergh, it would complete the skyline with a few 600+ footers. A while ago somebody said that might happen. Are actual discussions on this issue taking place? It would be nice to have a few buildings above the "table top" 500' height. A new city hall at 550-650' along the waterfront for example, with a striking non flat crown lit up at night. A developer could put it up and lease it to the city. No city funds required for construction.

P.S. wish list... I still want a downtown sports arena with at least 18,000 seats so we can attract an NBA and hockey team (or convert the Gulls to big league with expansion draft). Instead we get a smaller instant white elephant in Midway. Missed opportunity. Pro football can wait a bit. Too bad they didn't make the SDSU stadium a bit larger, at least 50,000. Pro team and SDSU could have shared it. Maybe in the future they could expand it.

Is this it?

https://thinkbosa.com/project/ninth-avenue-b-street/
https://thinkbosa.com/wp-content/upl...-1920x1765.jpg

ucsbgaucho Oct 3, 2022 3:56 PM

Quote:

P.S. wish list... I still want a downtown sports arena with at least 18,000 seats so we can attract an NBA and hockey team (or convert the Gulls to big league with expansion draft). Instead we get a smaller instant white elephant in Midway. Missed opportunity. Pro football can wait a bit. Too bad they didn't make the SDSU stadium a bit larger, at least 50,000. Pro team and SDSU could have shared it. Maybe in the future they could expand it. Could a football field be squeezed into Petco? Maybe it would tear up the baseball field, or maybe not. They have those monster truck rallies there, and that is much more damaging...they fix it. Petco holds I believe 45,000. Add another 5,000 temp seats.....football! Lambeau Field in Green Bay is only about 50,000 I believe. The Padres are so popular that adding some seats is a good idea anyway. Better idea....add 10,000 to SDSU. Or play the first few games in SDSU until baseball is over in October, and then switch to football in Petco. Wouldn't even interfere with baseball.

The NFL has no need for baseball stadiums. Every dual-purpose stadium from the 80s/90s/andtoday were built as NFL-first stadiums, with baseball essentially being allowed to share... NFL is king, they'd laugh at any proposal to stick a football team into a baseball stadium. And there was no chance SDSU was going to front the money to build a stadium that would be NFL-friendly... the cost would have gone up 10x from what it actually cost them. San Diego is just going to have to hope that a group of investors with deep pockets and deep connections will buy up some land and sit on it until the NFL is ready to come back. They've already proven with the SoFi stadium construction that they'll let a team play in a college or soccer stadium until the NFL stadium is ready, but San Diego has to be ready to go with a site, a plan and the money.

Streamliner Oct 3, 2022 4:39 PM

Quote:

SamFlood found the link for 9th and B. It's 40 stories but I don't have the height in feet. I know what you mean though about losing track of the construction. Occasionally I'll drive through downtown and I'm always surprised at the construction sites even though I've technically seen them online before. Just the other day I drove down Broadway, and that street is really canyon-izing nicely. Courtyard Commons, Diega, and 800 Broadway are really adding to the effect.

As for a list of buildings, there is a website that's been linked here previously I think that shows u/c projects. I should really bookmark it.

Streamliner Oct 3, 2022 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho (Post 9749563)
The NFL has no need for baseball stadiums. Every dual-purpose stadium from the 80s/90s/andtoday were built as NFL-first stadiums, with baseball essentially being allowed to share... NFL is king, they'd laugh at any proposal to stick a football team into a baseball stadium. And there was no chance SDSU was going to front the money to build a stadium that would be NFL-friendly... the cost would have gone up 10x from what it actually cost them. San Diego is just going to have to hope that a group of investors with deep pockets and deep connections will buy up some land and sit on it until the NFL is ready to come back. They've already proven with the SoFi stadium construction that they'll let a team play in a college or soccer stadium until the NFL stadium is ready, but San Diego has to be ready to go with a site, a plan and the money.

I agree that the NFL has no need for baseball stadiums, and we won't be seeing an NFL team playing in one, but College bowls could. The Holiday Bowl will be held at Petco Park this year. This is what it looks like when you shoehorn a football field into Petco's baseball field:

https://www.petcoparkinsider.com/ima...liday-bowl.jpg

HurricaneHugo Oct 4, 2022 8:07 AM

I think the SDSU stadium can expand up to 55,000.

Believe they did it on purpose to end just under the NFLs minimum capacity for a team.

ucsbgaucho Oct 4, 2022 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 9750502)

Believe they did it on purpose to end just under the NFLs minimum capacity for a team.

You're correct according to SDSU documents. I think that makes sense honestly, there's only so much expanding of an existing non-NFL stadium that you can do, at some point the expansion just doesn't work. According to the EIR:

"The new Stadium/concourse design, however, will not preclude future expansion capabilities from a capacity of 35,000 to approximately or up to 55,000. Nonetheless, the proposed project does not include, plan, or contemplate an “expanded” stadium at this time or in the future; and no foreseeable development proposals, plans, or projects for an expanded stadium are known, pending, or contemplated."

It just doesn't make sense to try and get a state-of-the-art 65,000 seat NFL stadium out of a 35,000 college stadium. So I think it's safe to say anyone of importance or power who proposes to expand Snapdragon to entice the NFL is going to be a non-serious proposal from the start.

bgrapes Oct 4, 2022 7:09 PM

-

HurricaneHugo Oct 6, 2022 4:34 AM

Somebody on Reddit is saying that the Costa Verde Shopping Center redevelopment hasn't started construction.

Anybody know what's the holdup?

Guessing permits as always.

CaliNative Oct 6, 2022 7:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 9749664)
I agree that the NFL has no need for baseball stadiums, and we won't be seeing an NFL team playing in one, but College bowls could. The Holiday Bowl will be held at Petco Park this year. This is what it looks like when you shoehorn a football field into Petco's baseball field:

https://www.petcoparkinsider.com/ima...liday-bowl.jpg

It appears to fit nicely, although field goals could reach the stands. They could put a net up. I like it. Not just another cookie cutter oval. Add a few seats, temp or permanent, and I think it is feasable. The Chargers played in a 20,000 seat socker stadium in Carson. The NFL should embrace individualistic stadiums with personalty, just like baseball has. Instead they want these massive sterile ovals, usually with roofs. Boooooring! Football should be played outdoors, with fans in racoon coats and hip flasks of gin to ward off the autumn/winter cold.

CaliNative Oct 6, 2022 7:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 9750502)

Just like they kept the proposed new Midway sports arena at under the minimum to entice a NBA team. The mayor and other leaders don't seem to want pro basketball or hockey, and they oppose a bigger downtown arena apparently. I don't understand. The Midway arena will probably be a white elephant, empty most of the time.

HurricaneHugo Oct 8, 2022 9:23 AM

Seaport San Diego developer seeking up to $550M in public funding

"The developer looking to redo downtown’s Central Embarcadero with hotels, attractions and new marinas is considering a handful of public financing options to help fund a sizable chunk of its $3.5 billion Seaport San Diego project.

Developer 1HWY1 informed the San Diego Unified Port District that it will be seeking up to $550 million in public money to pay for site infrastructure and amenities, such as the proposed urban beach, that are connected to the public realm, according to a staff report published ahead of the agency’s board meeting on Tuesday."

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...public-funding

bgrapes Oct 10, 2022 5:14 AM

-

SamFlood Oct 10, 2022 11:45 PM

UCSD Amphitheater is almost complete

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...61964d0a_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8f821912_h.jpg

HurricaneHugo Oct 11, 2022 7:25 AM

Pretty nice amphitheater!

Why couldn't they have it when I was a student? :(

Then again there was Porter's Pub that always attracted decent artists

CaliNative Oct 16, 2022 6:19 AM

Dodgers done in by the Padres & the Curse of the Goose

Padres year to win it all. Thank you goose.

HurricaneHugo Oct 16, 2022 9:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9761807)

Dude, Gaslamp was crazy! :notacrook:

CaliNative Oct 20, 2022 3:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9761807)

The Goose has become a thing...San Diego Goose T. Shirts common sights on Padres fans at game. First the SD Chicken, now the goose. Padres won.