SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Will O' Wisp Jul 26, 2019 12:12 AM

^Counterpoint to this: There are a ton of different ways Pinnacle could have chosen to differentiate their affordable rate housing from their market rate, and they insisted on using they most petty and condescending option of literally slicing the building in two. Pinnacle could just as easily have limited residents in the affordable section of the building from using the taller elevators in the market rate section to get up to the pool/roofdeck, put a lock on the roof that only the market rate residents have a key to, even makes access to it an opt in feature residents need to pay for. They could have done any of these things to reserve use of certain amenities for the higher paying residents, none of which would even need to be mentioned on the application to Civic, but instead Pinnacle deliberately chose to put up a wall between the two sides just to avoid the spectacle of one of their luxury customers (gasp!) seeing a poor person in the lobby.

Steadfast Jul 26, 2019 6:26 AM

^
Agreed. This proposal is lazy & offensive.
There are much better examples of successful mixed-income housing they could have used as reference. The developers home town of Vancouver is full of them...
IMO, it's right for the city to demand better.

Nerv Jul 27, 2019 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8640223)
Have any of you guys heard of this?

The trolley planning to extend somehow into Tijuana?

The article is in spanish. Not sure how it would work

http://sintesistv.com.mx/trolley-de-...F850XJ4tAHIelU

The Purple Line is a future San Diego Trolley line proposed by SANDAG, that would run from San Ysidro Transit Center at the United States–Mexico border to Kearny Mesa with a possible extension to Carmel Valley. It would run along, or close to I-805 and I-15. Most of the proposed station locations are currently served by Rapid routes 225 and 235.

If you’re ever suggesting that the US side would pay for a trolley into Mexico good luck with that. I’m sure Mexico could build their own trolley line into their country with some sort of US connection (maybe) as far as the line goes after they enter the US. The purple line is old news though and there are several extensions I think will get built first. My gut feeling is we may finally get some news in the near future on the airport link of some sorts. Also the Balboa link is still in play. Anything doing with Mexico these days though is influenced by our current state of politics in this country. That’s about the most neutral way I could think of saying that. :uhh:

I’m happy just to get the UTC section knocked off here soon...:tup:

Steadfast Jul 28, 2019 6:38 AM

Looks like we might be getting our own mini version of The Row DTLA... Which would be great.
http://www.sdnews.com/view/full_stor...=most_popular1

Streamliner Jul 29, 2019 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 8643410)
The Purple Line is a future San Diego Trolley line proposed by SANDAG, that would run from San Ysidro Transit Center at the United States–Mexico border to Kearny Mesa with a possible extension to Carmel Valley. It would run along, or close to I-805 and I-15. Most of the proposed station locations are currently served by Rapid routes 225 and 235.

If you’re ever suggesting that the US side would pay for a trolley into Mexico good luck with that. I’m sure Mexico could build their own trolley line into their country with some sort of US connection (maybe) as far as the line goes after they enter the US. The purple line is old news though and there are several extensions I think will get built first. My gut feeling is we may finally get some news in the near future on the airport link of some sorts. Also the Balboa link is still in play. Anything doing with Mexico these days though is influenced by our current state of politics in this country. That’s about the most neutral way I could think of saying that. :uhh:

I’m happy just to get the UTC section knocked off here soon...:tup:

Agreed. There's no way MTS would build the Trolley into Mexico. This is probably just a rumor that got out of hand. There's no practical need for it anyway. People would still have to go through customs, etc. before entering the train that would enter the U.S. At that point, there's no difference between that and the existing infrastructure. The Trolley stops just feet from the border.

Ideally Tijuana would set up its own Metro line that would take visitors/locals from the Mexico side of the border to the Zona Norte, beaches, Airport, Zona Rio, residential neighborhoods/employment centers, or even Rosarito. That would be a better use of resources. I think they're setting up (have set up?) a BRT line along the Tijuana River, which is a good start.

HurricaneHugo Jul 29, 2019 11:24 PM

Interesting article on the Coaster/Amtrak line thru Del Mar

Didn't know we had the second busiest rail line

https://www.delmartimes.net/news/sto...astal-railroad

Nerv Jul 30, 2019 4:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8644777)

Yes and that point was brought up numerous times with the California high speed rail line debates. It should have been using the San Diego to Los Angeles section to build first since it would be by far the most used but since politics were in play they wanted to go San Francisco to Los Angeles leaving the most used link an orphan until decades later in the construction process.

Because we all know everyone takes the trains from Los Angeles to San Francisco in their commutes...:(

SDCAL Jul 31, 2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 8645006)
Yes and that point was brought up numerous times with the California high speed rail line debates. It should have been using the San Diego to Los Angeles section to build first since it would be by far the most used but since politics were in play they wanted to go San Francisco to Los Angeles leaving the most used link an orphan until decades later in the construction process.

Because we all know everyone takes the trains from Los Angeles to San Francisco in their commutes...:(

No kidding. And SD to LA is a lot shorter than SF to LA. If they had done the SD to LA route it could have been completed and successful and given the project an entirely different image. As of right now it looks like a huge failure, and I say that as a supporter of HSR

HurricaneHugo Jul 31, 2019 7:15 AM

Zoning Code Change to allow more mixed-use housing near transit lines

Seems logical

https://timesofsandiego.com/politics...ebook-comments

Maldive Jul 31, 2019 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8644777)

My best friend lives in Del Mar, 200 feet from the bluffs. After walking the bluffs during my half dozen trips my eye was always drawn to precarious train tracks... always looked like one storm away from disaster.

Don't know if this debate is continuing, but 7 years ago there was mild panic about discussions of "expropriation" and moving the tracks east.

Multi-million dollar residences cling to those cliffs... bet their real estate agents are developing ulcers.

Will O' Wisp Aug 1, 2019 4:13 AM

Lot of regulatory changes happening this week.

First up, City Council approved Gomez's affordable housing measure 5-4. The measure more than doubles in-lieu fees from $12 to $24 per square foot, or require developers to reserve 10% of their housing for families making less that 50% of the region's average median income (vs the current requirement of 60% AMI).

Proponents argued that the current in-lieu fees fees are too low, and that $12 a square foot is far less than what housing actually costs to build anywhere in San Diego, meaning that instead of providing part for part replacement housing the in-lieu fees allow developers to cheap out at the expense of low income families.

Opponents argued that fees of this size will increase construction costs to such a degree that less housing of all types will be able to be built, defeating the purpose of the measure.

Gomez commissioned a study which found the new requirements wouldn't effect housing construction rates, but that was contingent on landowners agreeing to sell their land to housing developers for 10-30% less than they are now. Opponents argued that landowners would instead choose to sell their land for other uses (like office space), proponents argued this was fear mongering.

Developers and the planning commission requested Gomez moderate her proposal, but Gomez demurred citing frustration with how little would be left of the measure otherwise. After over three hours of public testimony the measure passed, but with one of the committee dems joining the repubs opposing it. With only 5 yeas overriding a veto from Mayor Falconer would require one of the opponents to change their vote, and with the city's own planning department more or less saying this bill is too extreme he'd have a lot of political cover for it.

Right after council unanimously passed a planning commission sponsored measure that gives projects a 25% density boost if they reserve 10% of their housing for middle class families making 80%-120% AMI. Tack that on to current affordable housing bonuses and a project can boost its density by 175% with various incentives.

superfishy Aug 3, 2019 8:14 PM

I noticed an old 3-story office building on the corner of 3rd and A now has fences around it. Anyone know what for? Demolition?

HurricaneHugo Aug 5, 2019 2:58 AM

Does anybody know how the trolley map is going to look like after the expansion?

Curious as to how they're going to fit it in

Will O' Wisp Aug 5, 2019 6:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8649507)
Does anybody know how the trolley map is going to look like after the expansion?

Curious as to how they're going to fit it in

http://onthego.ucsd.edu/_images/proj...eLineRoute.jpg
^Like this:D

Found an interesting article on the MPG:
New Navy HQ Part of $1.6B San Diego Project

Has a lot of info on the demolition process and the foundations. Also,
Quote:

Work is under way on a $1.6 billion Manchester Gateway Development project to transform leased Navy property on San Diego's downtown waterfront into a 12.7-acre development with seven new buildings including a 17-story office structure that will replace the Navy Broadway Complex and serve as the Navy's regional headquarters.

Current construction is on the new Navy building complex, which, by contract, is to be built first. The previous building had to be removed before new construction could start.
Just a sentence, but it's something.

Nv_2897 Aug 5, 2019 11:26 PM

I saw a post on Instagram that said that the Navy HQ for the Manchester pacific gateway has officially topped out and construction should soon start for the rest of the project

JerellO Aug 6, 2019 4:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nv_2897 (Post 8650249)
I saw a post on Instagram that said that the Navy HQ for the Manchester pacific gateway has officially topped out and construction should soon start for the rest of the project

Yea I was exploring some stories around downtown on snapchat and saw people recording the topping of ceremony :D

Streamliner Aug 6, 2019 4:23 PM

I was in Coronado (Centennial Park) about a week ago and got this shot. It gives a preview of what Pacific Gateway will look like on the skyline from this popular viewing spot:

https://i.imgur.com/du9Uns1.jpg?1

Boatguy619 Aug 6, 2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nv_2897 (Post 8650249)

According to this article no other construction will begin until the Navy building is complete.

https://www.livetradingnews.com/u-s-...l#.XUoGoCOZMWo

Quote:

Once the Headquarters is completed and the U.S. Navy accepts the building, Manchester Financial Group will perfect the ground lease for the masterplan and move forward in developing the rest of the land.

Nv_2897 Aug 7, 2019 3:03 AM

Also does anyone know when will the Ritz Carlton should break ground in East Village. :shrug: Hopefully it breaks ground before the incoming recession.

SDCAL Aug 7, 2019 3:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy619 (Post 8651214)
According to this article no other construction will begin until the Navy building is complete.

https://www.livetradingnews.com/u-s-...l#.XUoGoCOZMWo

Once the Navy HQ is complete they will “perfect the ground lease”?

What does that mean? Is that a vague way of saying they will pursue financing after that? I don’t want to re-hash old arguments on this board but in my opinion Manchester seems shady about how they went about this whole thing. This is not how they sold the project timeline to the public up-front.