SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Trvlr May 14, 2007 3:41 AM

Here's another project/rendering I don't think we've seen yet.

24 stories in the East Village...looks like some people are still bullish on the downtown market.

Laundry Lofts

dl3000 May 14, 2007 3:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2830364)
It was envitable that Santa Fe Depot would eventually get boxed in and lose its view to the Bay, or the Bay's view of it.

Of course it was. I think it will be an interesting outcome.

Derek May 14, 2007 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trvlr (Post 2833323)
Here's another project/rendering I don't think we've seen yet.

24 stories in the East Village...looks like some people are still bullish on the downtown market.

Laundry Lofts

We saw this a while back, but kudos for the heads up!;)

Derek May 14, 2007 3:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2833139)
The Broadway Pier was all torn up today. Is this a sign of good things to come?

Guess I found the answer. I guess it wasn't much to get excited about.:(

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007.../490790330.txt

Broadway Pier closing for repairs

By: Wire Reports -

SAN DIEGO - Beginning today, Broadway Pier will be temporarily closed to vehicles and pedestrians for a construction project intended to strengthen the pier deck, port district officials said.

A construction fence will be put around the pier to prevent access for the project's duration, expected to last until October.

The project involves making structural modifications to the existing concrete deck so that the pier will be able to handle bus and truck traffic resulting from increased cruise operations, according to Unified Port of San Diego spokeswoman Marguerite Elicone.

The project will cost $2,186,750, Elicone said.

Broadway Pier was built in 1913 and originally consisted of a six-inch thick, reinforced concrete deck supported by a framework of steel girders. It was extended by 200 feet in 1930.

In 1989, the pier underwent a structural renovation to upgrade the seismic capacity and to rebuild portions of the deck surface. The current construction will add another 25 years of durability to the pier, Elicone said.

bmfarley May 14, 2007 5:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2833341)
Guess I found the answer. I guess it wasn't much to get excited about.:(

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007.../490790330.txt

Broadway Pier closing for repairs

By: Wire Reports -

SAN DIEGO - Beginning today, Broadway Pier will be temporarily closed to vehicles and pedestrians for a construction project intended to strengthen the pier deck, port district officials said.

A construction fence will be put around the pier to prevent access for the project's duration, expected to last until October.

The project involves making structural modifications to the existing concrete deck so that the pier will be able to handle bus and truck traffic resulting from increased cruise operations, according to Unified Port of San Diego spokeswoman Marguerite Elicone.

The project will cost $2,186,750, Elicone said.

Broadway Pier was built in 1913 and originally consisted of a six-inch thick, reinforced concrete deck supported by a framework of steel girders. It was extended by 200 feet in 1930.

In 1989, the pier underwent a structural renovation to upgrade the seismic capacity and to rebuild portions of the deck surface. The current construction will add another 25 years of durability to the pier, Elicone said.

Speaking of which... I was curious too. I have previously read the above; however I had forgotten. here's a picture taken this afternoon.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...Pier051307.jpg

ShekelPop May 14, 2007 6:06 AM

I was looking at one of the Lane Field renderings earlier (see below), and I didnt want to spend hours on end juxtaposing the Irvine Co. building behind the lane field tower, but it struck me how different the crowns of all these buildings (OAP, Lane Field, Irvine Co, NBC, the Grande) will be once they're all constructed (whether or not you like them, of course, is another issue). for better or worse, its gonna be a real interesting waterfront skyline.
http://www.portofsandiego.org/projec...erialFinal.jpg

bmfarley May 14, 2007 7:20 AM

I mentioned before how I thought the fences over I5 look terrible and could be replaced. Or should be replaced.

For the creative minds out there... envision the elements of the Laurel Street Bridge over SR 163 in Balboa Park in place of a couple the shots below. Or probably any of the bridge-fences in Santa Barbara???

First Avenue

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...isc/1stAve.jpg

Second Avenue

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/2ndAve-1.jpg

OCtoSD May 14, 2007 7:28 AM

The waterfront skyline will be very interesting to look at. The Irvine tower is definitely unique but is also very typical IM Pei. Very geometric, and the crown is reminiscent of some kind of South American Mayan or Aztec pyramid (. I like it, it will definitely not be a building that makes you stop and stare, but it is pleasing and unique. It will add variety to the skyline which is now dominated by Vancouver glass condos.

HurricaneHugo May 14, 2007 8:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 2833559)

Could be better but it looks great! :)

mongoXZ May 14, 2007 2:55 PM

^^I just can't get over the base of the Lane Field Development. Hopefully they'll add a good group of retail/restaurants to make for a livelier waterfront.

Is that tower next door supposed to be one of the Navy Broadway Complex's hotels? Ugh.

BTW: Pei Cobb, you dissappoint me.

Derek May 14, 2007 3:20 PM

^Yeah, the fatty bases are so ugly!

(Welcome...It's about time you came over to SSP!:))

Derek May 14, 2007 3:21 PM

Oh...does the Lane Field project take over the NavFac facility directly to the west of the Grande towers? It appears like it does in the rendering, but I'm not positive...

eburress May 14, 2007 3:25 PM

^^ The NBC tower looks a LOT better than the IM Pei turd. Fortunately though, it should be blocked by the Lane Field building -- for which I have new-found appreciation. hahahaha

Yes, some fun restaurants/clubs would help Lane Field out a lot. An Eatzi's would be ideal (if you've ever been to Dallas, DC, Houston, or NYC).

ShekelPop May 14, 2007 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2833975)
^^ The NBC tower looks a LOT better than the IM Pei turd. Fortunately though, it should be blocked by the Lane Field building -- for which I have new-found appreciation. hahahaha

Yes, some fun restaurants/clubs would help Lane Field out a lot. An Eatzi's would be ideal (if you've ever been to Dallas, DC, Houston, or NYC).

Speaking of Lane Field and street life, there's good news. I submitted some comments on the Port's website concerning Lane Field saying I disliked the notion of a retail arcade hidden from the street and they sent me this reply:

"The project is being revised during the next phase of design drawings. The interior retail arcade has been eliminated and the retail space, including restaurants, has been relocated and is now facing the street. The project will include a public plaza with outdoor seating."

dl3000 May 14, 2007 7:24 PM

Wow that is quite responsive. I guess the officials had the same idea.

eburress May 14, 2007 7:45 PM

^^ Yup...that's good news. Hopefully the Pei/Cobb rendering is also an initial draft that will be iterated/improved upon.

Derek May 15, 2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 2834216)
Speaking of Lane Field and street life, there's good news. I submitted some comments on the Port's website concerning Lane Field saying I disliked the notion of a retail arcade hidden from the street and they sent me this reply:

"The project is being revised during the next phase of design drawings. The interior retail arcade has been eliminated and the retail space, including restaurants, has been relocated and is now facing the street. The project will include a public plaza with outdoor seating."

That's great news! Nice work finding that out!:cheers:

sandiego_urban May 15, 2007 1:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 2833559)
I was looking at one of the Lane Field renderings earlier (see below), and I didnt want to spend hours on end juxtaposing the Irvine Co. building behind the lane field tower, but it struck me how different the crowns of all these buildings (OAP, Lane Field, Irvine Co, NBC, the Grande) will be once they're all constructed (whether or not you like them, of course, is another issue). for better or worse, its gonna be a real interesting waterfront skyline.

Good point :tup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCtoSD
The waterfront skyline will be very interesting to look at. The Irvine tower is definitely unique but is also very typical IM Pei. Very geometric, and the crown is reminiscent of some kind of South American Mayan or Aztec pyramid (. I like it, it will definitely not be a building that makes you stop and stare, but it is pleasing and unique. It will add variety to the skyline which is now dominated by Vancouver glass condos.

Variety is what we need and from the looks of it, that's what we'll be getting. I, too, am also looking forward to seeing more towers with fewer balconies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley
I mentioned before how I thought the fences over I5 look terrible and could be replaced. Or should be replaced.

For the creative minds out there... envision the elements of the Laurel Street Bridge over SR 163 in Balboa Park in place of a couple the shots below. Or probably any of the bridge-fences in Santa Barbara???

Better yet, I'm hoping the plans to put lids over the freeway thru downtown actually come to fruition. That would be the ideal solution to the ugly overpasses. In the meantime, I think it would be great if they commissioned local artists to design the fences on the freeway overpasses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekePop

Good for you for being proactive on the issue. Maybe all of us here should submit our comments and concerns about the proposal. Who knows, in the the end, we could help create "The Perfect Project" ;)

SDCAL May 15, 2007 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 2833647)
Could be better but it looks great! :)

Sails - do I see sails on top of these (Lane Field) buildings?? lol Well at least these buildings look ALOT better than the Spinnaker water beetle rendering

BUT, does anyone know the status of these? This project is owned by the Port of SD and back around December or Jan when these renderings were making the rounds in the Union Tribune and everything, the Port Authority had a link to them on their website. Now, when you go to the lane field project on the Port's website - NO renderings. Also, CCDC never put these on their site. I am wondering if these renderings are undergoing major changes or if something has gone sour with the project? Port authority didn't take the NBC renderings off their website. I wish there was better communication to the public about the status of projects :mad:

On a side-note, what is the building to the right of the Lane Field buildings that looks so tall? Is it over 500 ft or does the rendering just make it look like it towers over One America building??? :skyscraper:

OOOOPs should have read more closely, ShekePop answered my question - - they are re-working the renderings, that must be why they took them off the website. I do have to say Kudos to the Port Authority for actually responding to a citizen comment!!!!! Usually the big government agencies don't give you the time of day unless they are collecting money :)

SDCAL May 15, 2007 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2833337)
We saw this a while back, but kudos for the heads up!;)

Laundry Lofts have been on CCDCs map for sometime, and I really like the rendering, unfortunately there has been no action/updates for a looooooong time so I am worried the project is on hold or worse :(