SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

SDCAL May 10, 2007 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2825176)
Lets hope and pray they don't. As Yoda would say, a huge pile of shit those designs are.

or at least let's hope that if any are build they undergo significant changes to the renderings, of course the Spinnaker hotel would need to be completely re-designed because everything about it is ugly. It looks like a giant flying beetle that crashed head-first into the ground with its wings slightly open from its body :gaah:

are the people at that architectural firm on crack??? :crazy:

SDCAL May 10, 2007 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filambata (Post 2823253)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally would be thrilled if the Spinnaker and Columbia towers were built in San Diego, especially the Spinnaker since it'll provide a signature tower for the skyline. Many consider OAP to the city's signature tower, and it's so boring! For me, San Francisco's Transamerica Pyramid is the dealmaker for that city's skyline.

interesting take, but I would not put the Spinnaker Hotel in even remotely the same category as Transamerica Tower. First off, the height is what has made it such a distinguishable part of the SF skyline, it is 853 feet tall, well over probably even twice the height of Spinnaker and over 300 ft taller than any building in SD. I don't see why Spinnaker, if built, would become an iconic part of our skyline being so short.

I agree that the actual design is a matter of personal taste, I personally think the Transamerica Pyramid is elegant and unique without being tacky or dated, whereas the Spinnaker rendering looks like a giant water beetle crawling out of the bay, but that's just me ;)

sandiego_urban May 10, 2007 10:39 PM

SDCAL - your analogies of Spinnaker to the different types of beetle crack me up :haha: The big ears on Shapery was pretty funny, too

I think all of my wishing for anything that ISN'T Vancouverish just backfired on me, didn't it? How I long for the boring, monotonous, balcony-infested, Bosa-designed towers once again..... ;)

eburress May 10, 2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 2826777)
or at least let's hope that if any are build they undergo significant changes to the renderings, of course the Spinnaker hotel would need to be completely re-designed because everything about it is ugly. It looks like a giant flying beetle that crashed head-first into the ground with its wings slightly open from its body :gaah:

are the people at that architectural firm on crack??? :crazy:

That's the only explanation I can think of. :jester:

Trvlr May 11, 2007 12:40 AM

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but a rendering of the new I.M. Pei-designed Irvine Company office tower has been posted on the CCDC website.

Stately, but not extremely innovative, in my opinion. Once again, the height limit impacts the overall design of the skyline. This structure only reaches 470 feet.

http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm?fuseac...propertyID=647

sandiego_urban May 11, 2007 12:53 AM

^^Thanks for the link, and I couldn't have described it better myself. Nothing about it says "Look at Me!" This is supposed to be a world-class structure from a world-class architecture firm? I just don't see it.

Here it is reduced (The link to the larger version shows much better detail than this one) -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...iorView_Da.gif

Derek May 11, 2007 1:03 AM

It's always good to see new renderings, but I'm not really digging this one. It screams Orange County to me. (Think of all the nearly identical mid rises going up in Orange County that are visible from the 5...)

Rizzo May 11, 2007 1:37 AM

I wouldn't call the above building impressive either, but then again a nice filler box building isn't so bad every once and awhile. If every building tried to scream Look at me damnit! Things would be a mess.

SDCAL May 11, 2007 1:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2827262)
SDCAL - your analogies of Spinnaker to the different types of beetle crack me up :haha: The big ears on Shapery was pretty funny, too

I think all of my wishing for anything that ISN'T Vancouverish just backfired on me, didn't it? How I long for the boring, monotonous, balcony-infested, Bosa-designed towers once again..... ;)

hahaha I know I see weird things sometimes - - it's those "sail-like" parts that seem like they are waiting to be peeled back

and yes, we seem to have alot of buildings that look Vancouverish only shorter, not good :(

SDCAL May 11, 2007 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2827544)
^^Thanks for the link, and I couldn't have described it better myself. Nothing about it says "Look at Me!" This is supposed to be a world-class structure from a world-class architecture firm? I just don't see it.

Here it is reduced (The link to the larger version shows much better detail than this one) -

Yeah it's not terrible, I would have expected something a little more edgy from I.M. Pei, but it looks a heck of a lot better than the stuff from the crack architects over at

Derek May 11, 2007 2:29 AM

Over at...where?

You didn't finish:jester:

Filambata May 11, 2007 2:53 AM

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

It's funny how you guys say the nothing-but-a-boring-box I. M. Pei tower is "not terrible" while the unconventional (though not unique) Spinnaker is "tacky," a "beetle," and other words I wouldn't want to repeat!!! San Diego is weird....

eburress May 11, 2007 2:57 AM

Quote:

WTF is this shit??? Wow...it doesn't take much to be an architect these days does it?

Maybe this is just a bad angle and there is more to this building than we're seeing, but the way it flairs out at its top breaks the #1 rule of good building design. Have some decency people.

eburress May 11, 2007 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filambata (Post 2827868)

It's funny how you guys say the nothing-but-a-boring-box I. M. Pei tower is "not terrible" while the unconventional (though not unique) Spinnaker is "tacky," a "beetle," and other words I wouldn't want to repeat!!! San Diego is weird....

Both buildings are crap.

bmfarley May 11, 2007 3:07 AM

Quote:

Wow, kinda makes santa Fe Depot look out of place. No?

Derek May 11, 2007 3:11 AM

Like I said, it just seems too Orange County for me...

Derek May 11, 2007 3:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2827901)
Wow, kinda makes santa Fe Depot look out of place. No?

The entire train system (besides the trolleys) seems out of place.

eburress May 11, 2007 3:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filambata (Post 2827868)

For what it's worth though, I would be totally on-board with this building if it wasn't for that "crown." I do like the colors and materials.

eburress May 11, 2007 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2827918)
The entire train system (besides the trolleys) seems out of place.

The building's fruity crown is out of place.

Derek May 11, 2007 3:18 AM

What building?

Pei's?