SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

kpexpress Feb 11, 2009 8:01 AM

Although the airport is plagued with lack of planning and bad location it is quite convenient to get in and out of.

Marina_Guy Feb 11, 2009 2:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4080785)
Although the airport is plagued with lack of planning and bad location it is quite convenient to get in and out of.

Agreed. And the number of actual flights (not passengers) hasnt changed much is 10 years...

Crackertastik Feb 11, 2009 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 4081006)
Agreed. And the number of actual flights (not passengers) hasnt changed much is 10 years...

Which is mainly due to larger and larger planes, planes that will not be able to get into Lindbergh. Or will have to go to LAX and then to here on a smaller plane. The airport's runway limitations create huge barriers for travel and commerce into our city.

It is convenient. But its also a waste of prime real estate for it to be situated there.

Fusey Feb 12, 2009 12:21 AM

Too bad the Marines won't move out... Until that happens, we're stuck with Lindbergh.

Library gets an extension:

Quote:

State gives San Diego extension on school-library
By Jeanette Steele
Union-Tribune Staff Writer
2:53 p.m. February 11, 2009

California's chief librarian is giving San Diego until July to move forward on a $185 million downtown central library and school, but she wants to see the money from private donors who have kept the project alive for years.
Susan Hildreth, the outgoing state librarian, said she is “concerned” about the “viability” of local funds.
In response to San Diego's request to keep a $20 million state grant – even though city officials missed the Dec. 31 deadline to move forward – Hildreth is demanding to see proof of the reported $33 million in private pledges.
“Please provide donor agreement letters or similar documents that verify the availability of the $33 million in private contributions as mentioned,” she wrote to the city in a letter Wednesday.
The library, estimated in 2005 to cost $185 million, is short on funds because private donations have fallen below expectations.
The city and its school district are still trying to figure out who will pay for a $168,000 feasibility study to determine whether a new high school school can be graphed onto the long-standing library blueprints in order to use $15 million to $20 million in school bond money to fill the funding gap.
The school-library concept surfaced late last year, just as the state grant was set to expire. The plan is to use money from November's Proposition S that was earmarked for a new downtown school.
A nonprofit foundation has raised $33 million toward the $85 million goal for private funds, including $1 million from the Hervey Family Foundation and $2 million from David Copley, chairman and CEO of The Copley Press Inc. and publisher of The San Diego Union-Tribune.
The rest of the money would come from $80 million in redevelopment tax dollars, plus the $20 million state grant.
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori.../?zIndex=51584

sdFan09 Feb 12, 2009 2:13 AM

Why does it seem like the HSR website doesn't focus on San Diego at all? There are no plans for the stations in the region and the only video of San Diego is of the train passing Mission Bay. Is San Diego behind the rest of the State on this as well?

mongoXZ Feb 12, 2009 2:51 AM

Regarding a new airport site: Has anyone drove east on the 905 until the freeway ends? It's been a few years since I passed by there but it's just a bunch of light industry and warehouses in proximity to the Otay border crossing. Other than that. . .FLAT LAND! A few tiny hills but nothing a land mover can't pave over. I don't know why this site has been overlooked.

Oh and ditto on all the comments about the airport plan being short sighted. What a waste of billions of dollars on nothing more than a big band-aid.

staplesla Feb 12, 2009 5:38 AM

Final Stimulus Project Report

Thought you guys would like to see this.

You can click on any project, see the amount, number of jobs created, leave notes, etc.

http://www.stimuluswatch.org/project...San%20Diego/CA

HurricaneHugo Feb 12, 2009 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdFan09 (Post 4082384)
Why does it seem like the HSR website doesn't focus on San Diego at all? There are no plans for the stations in the region and the only video of San Diego is of the train passing Mission Bay. Is San Diego behind the rest of the State on this as well?

it's not coming to SD that's why...

the LA-SF portion gets built, then they're like "oh no moneyz for you."

HurricaneHugo Feb 12, 2009 6:34 AM

and LJVD/805 interchange?

i wish a Regents Road Bridge over the canyon would be in there...

staplesla Feb 12, 2009 6:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4082961)
it's not coming to SD that's why...

the LA-SF portion gets built, then they're like "oh no moneyz for you."

Yes it is. My husband is currently designing the line here.

Fusey Feb 12, 2009 6:12 PM

By the time HSR comes to San Diego most of us here will either retired or dead. :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 4082460)
Regarding a new airport site: Has anyone drove east on the 905 until the freeway ends? It's been a few years since I passed by there but it's just a bunch of light industry and warehouses in proximity to the Otay border crossing. Other than that. . .FLAT LAND! A few tiny hills but nothing a land mover can't pave over. I don't know why this site has been overlooked.

I'm not sure why that site is rarely mentioned, but TJ's airport is right on the border. Maybe something to due with flight patterns nixes that area?

IconRPCV Feb 12, 2009 7:23 PM

I thought the trolley extension to La Jolla was on the list.:(

PadreHomer Feb 12, 2009 8:59 PM

Really, why not Brown Field for an airport site?

HurricaneHugo Feb 13, 2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 4083875)
I thought the trolley extension to La Jolla was on the list.:(

Well do they have a set route?

Crackertastik Feb 13, 2009 5:36 PM

There was an interesting discussion via reader comments on SignOnSanDiego.com about the role of the San Diego Airport. While it is my opinion that the airport is in a location that is better served as a different type of use, commercial, dense residential preferably, the arguements for the current plan are not bad...

Basically, the arguement is that San Diego is a destination location, and the need for a Hub Airport is unwarranted. San Diego operates planes at less than full capacity, and the redesign will allow for more people even though current designs can accomodate to some extent. No major upgrade needed.

#2The one i read that i do take to heart is the image of San Diego as a destination for a specific lifestyle. What is the fascination with making this a Chicago-esque city. Its great how it is. Why does it need to be larger, or more populated. Why not just have San Diego be what it is today, maintain population and make standard of living better by beautification.

This last point i agree with to some extent. Do we really want 3 million in our city. I think that would alter what makes the place so great. And to that point, is a LARGE airport really necessary, rather than upgraded one to make the experience for our current population more enjoyable.

Thoughts?

bushman61988 Feb 13, 2009 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackertastik (Post 4085732)
There was an interesting discussion via reader comments on SignOnSanDiego.com about the role of the San Diego Airport. While it is my opinion that the airport is in a location that is better served as a different type of use, commercial, dense residential preferably, the arguements for the current plan are not bad...

Basically, the arguement is that San Diego is a destination location, and the need for a Hub Airport is unwarranted. San Diego operates planes at less than full capacity, and the redesign will allow for more people even though current designs can accomodate to some extent. No major upgrade needed.

#2The one i read that i do take to heart is the image of San Diego as a destination for a specific lifestyle. What is the fascination with making this a Chicago-esque city. Its great how it is. Why does it need to be larger, or more populated. Why not just have San Diego be what it is today, maintain population and make standard of living better by beautification.

This last point i agree with to some extent. Do we really want 3 million in our city. I think that would alter what makes the place so great. And to that point, is a LARGE airport really necessary, rather than upgraded one to make the experience for our current population more enjoyable.

Thoughts?

The only problem I have with the airport is the height limit the FAA enforces over all of downtown...it just doesn't make sense to me...
Even during an emergency, if a plane that is crippled or is losing control would probably not do it directly over downtown. In the EXTREMELY unlikely event that it DID happen, I really doubt that approaching from the south over downtown at 500 feet would be enough for a plane to somehow straighten up and land on a runway that runs Northwest, Southeast. It just doesn't make sense to me why 500 feet...

Why not something like a more stepped-back, progressive height limit approach, with the further north in downtown and the closer to the flightpath that buildings get, the lower the height limits should be, and vice versa for going farther south. I think the Hilton Convention Center Hotel should be able to reach close to 1,000 feet and still be close to a mile from the flightpath and safe from approaching planes.

I actually do like the Airport's location and convenience, but the height limit sucks, and gives us a really stubby, although more dense skyline.

The fact that planes have to approach right over thousands of homes is kind of scary too, but it is a nice located airport...

Isn't there any way to get the FAA to change their ridiculously-strict guidelines?

staplesla Feb 13, 2009 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackertastik (Post 4085732)

Thoughts?

I've lived in NYC and left to get away from the rat-race, and I certainly don't want to see the same here. However, this area will continue to grow regardless of what we want. And to build something based off of what we desire, instead of what is realistic is absurd. Also, you state the article says the re-designed airport "will allow for more people." Maybe more people in the terminal, but what does that accomplish? You have to have more runways for increased landing/landing capacity to get more people to and from San Diego Int'l.

Mariobrotha Feb 14, 2009 6:05 AM

StaplesLA is right, San Diego's population growth is inevitable whether we like it or not. We'll hit 3 million soon enough with or without the help of a major hub airport.

It's selfish to think that we have to hold onto our current airport just to maintain quality of life for the here and now.... we need a plan that will better the quality of life for our future generations as well.

spoonman Feb 14, 2009 7:51 AM

The metro has been at 3 milion for years...guess you're referring to the city boundaries

kpexpress Feb 14, 2009 10:55 AM

anyone know the current city proper population? The signs say something like 1.3 million. that is not a lot of people when you take into consideration how spread out the city boundaries are. now 1.3 downtown on the other hand.......