SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   HOUSTON | Development Thread II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114123)

natenate Aug 28, 2014 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady (Post 6708533)
Houston has caught the attention of Al Jazeera.

Immigrants reshape Houston, America’s most diverse metropolis

Thanks for the good read. We almost have it all except for real mass transit.

Metro Matt Aug 28, 2014 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady (Post 6708533)
Houston has caught the attention of Al Jazeera.

Immigrants reshape Houston, America’s most diverse metropolis

"Every refugee family is given a temporary starter package of a furnished apartment, food stamps and health insurance funded by the State and Health and Human Services departments."

We can take care of illegal immigrants, but what about Americans? What about our veterans who served? What about our enormous homeless population? What about people who have been laid off & out of work since the recession? What about student loans people can't pay back because they have been out of work for so long & can't find a decent paying job in their field?

This article represents everything that is wrong with America.

If you want to come here you better have money saved up already & not depend on OUR government to do it for you. No other country does this except the US & it really pisses me off to no end. MY tax dollars are being used to feed, house, clothe, educate, & even provide FREE medical care for these very people, many of which who despise us in their homelands.

:pissed:

I'm all for diversity, just don't do it on my dime.

toxteth o'grady Aug 28, 2014 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro Matt (Post 6709209)
"Every refugee family is given a temporary starter package of a furnished apartment, food stamps and health insurance funded by the State and Health and Human Services departments."

We can take care of illegal immigrants, but what about Americans?

These are not undocumenteds, these are refugees - similar to the Cuban boat people or most of the Vietnamese. The important part is they have support networks, so that when the temporary aid ends, they have other resources to draw on.

At the moment, Houston has labor shortages - mostly for engineers and skilled laborers. Having more carpenters should get more houses built, and that seems to be a big unmet need.

toxteth o'grady Aug 28, 2014 9:00 PM

New apartments may be coming next to BBVA Compass Stadium, thanks to JLB. So says Swamplot.

Land Is Being Cleared for New Apartments Next to the Soccer Stadium

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...texas-demo.jpg

And the Broadstone apartments - one 8 stories, the other 5 stories - are set to start on September 8.

The 2 New Apartment Buildings Just West of Downtown That Alliance Residential Hasn’t Even Announced, but Is About To Start Building

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...town-south.jpg

Nucleareaction Aug 28, 2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro Matt (Post 6709209)

We can take care of illegal immigrants, but what about Americans? What about our veterans who served? What about our enormous homeless population? What about people who have been laid off & out of work since the recession? What about student loans people can't pay back because they have been out of work for so long & can't find a decent paying job in their field?

This article represents everything that is wrong with America.

If you want to come here you better have money saved up already & not depend on OUR government to do it for you. No other country does this except the US & it really pisses me off to no end. MY tax dollars are being used to feed, house, clothe, educate, & even provide FREE medical care for these very people, many of which who despise us in their homelands.

:pissed:

I'm all for diversity, just don't do it on my dime.

Don't even know where to start, or really care how long this post & replies last on the board.

Have you ever bothered to learn about the refugee process? Ever volunteers for a refugee organization, or worked with one? You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about, which is pretty sad because you seem to care about the issue.

It has nothing to do with illegal immigrants. It has everything to do with religious minorities, oppressed and threatened ethnic groups, and people caught in horrible conflicts (often ones that we have a direct hand in instigating).

Take some time to educate yourself on what refugees go through just to get the chance to come to America, then look at all of the programs that do go towards veterans and homeless people, then post an intelligent and sensible message.

houabz Aug 29, 2014 12:03 AM

I think that Metro Matt was only referring to illegals, and I agree with him.

Furthermore, I think it's time for America to stop taking in refugees; enough is enough. The only reason they are refugees is because our own government is funding the radicals, gives them weapons to start killing and naturally, our government wants to step in and pose as saviors. This country loves war, and destabilizes the world on purpose, even wants to start World War 3 with Russia and bomb Syria to help Al-Qaeda terrorist, crazy!!!

Yes, we have labor shortages, but who's to say they will want to work in say construction in the Texas heat? You can't force them to work, and why work when you can get good benefits/welfare? That's why dummies like me pay high taxes.

Anyways, back on what he said, diversity is good I suppose. All I ask is for people to respect one another, embrace liberty, work hard, don't vote to take my rights away like owning a gun but instead vote for economic and social freedom (as in, less government which is corrupt by nature and wants you on the government dough), and earn their way in life.

Back on topic, One Market Square is schedule to start 4Q 2014!!! Disappointed it's staying at 41 floors, but anyways, it's happening!!!

AviationGuy Aug 29, 2014 2:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucleareaction (Post 6709927)
Don't even know where to start, or really care how long this post & replies last on the board.

Have you ever bothered to learn about the refugee process? Ever volunteers for a refugee organization, or worked with one? You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about, which is pretty sad because you seem to care about the issue.

It has nothing to do with illegal immigrants. It has everything to do with religious minorities, oppressed and threatened ethnic groups, and people caught in horrible conflicts (often ones that we have a direct hand in instigating).

Take some time to educate yourself on what refugees go through just to get the chance to come to America, then look at all of the programs that do go towards veterans and homeless people, then post an intelligent and sensible message.

I've learned not to take Metro Matt's "chip on the shoulder" attitude toward life too seriously. I'm pretty sure I've seen some uninformed posts from him on city-data. Very "stereotpyically" Texan.

JManc Aug 29, 2014 3:51 AM

I'm OK with refugees getting help they need to get established but if they fuck around and refuse to work/ become criminals, we should cut off assistance and bounce their asses out of the country.

toxteth o'grady Aug 29, 2014 4:29 AM

This came over the transom this afternoon. From the HBJ. It also starts September 8. Hint, it's BIGGER than it was:

Exclusive: Developer of Galleria office tower expands project, sets groundbreaking date

(Imagine this render with two more floors and you have an idea of it)

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...dg-600x447.jpg

shakman Aug 29, 2014 4:08 PM

As a reminder, this thread is about development, not politics. Please discuss political agenda topics in its appropriate thread.

toxteth o'grady Aug 30, 2014 2:05 AM

Getting deep in here...:runaway:

Latest count is just under 24,000 apartments under construction in this town, along with 30,000 homes. Including this one...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...nderings-1.jpg
3400 Montrose

Multifamily construction projects spread over Houston region

"Data from the Greater Houston Partnership also shows the the city of Houston hit another record in July for building permits issued. This includes a 27 percent increase for residential permits.

Under construction (red dots on map):
Projects: 85
Total units:23,781

Recently opened (Green on map):
Projects: 72
Total units: 19,923

Proposed Construction (yellow on map):
Projects: 61
Total units: 18,065"

(Let's see if we can add the nifty map)

Where All the New Apartments Are Going Up in Houston

toxteth o'grady Aug 30, 2014 2:10 AM

Here's yet another example of why Houston needs more office space downtown.

Dynegy expanding in Houston after big deals

"...Flexon told the Houston Business Journal that Dynegy plans to option a second floor at its 601 Travis St. headquarters by the end of the year and likely add about 50 local jobs or so within six months..."

Dariusb Sep 2, 2014 7:57 AM

With all the office buildings under construction in the Energy Corridor do you one day see this area's skyline rivaling Uptown or TMC?

H-town_Rep Sep 2, 2014 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dariusb (Post 6713627)
With all the office buildings under construction in the Energy Corridor do you one day see this area's skyline rivaling Uptown or TMC?

No I don't believe so. Uptown skylive has the one thing the Energy Corridor will never have.... Transco Tower and the area will keep building. Same for TMC, it will keep buiilding especially with the State of Texas accepting the affordable Health Care Act.

toxteth o'grady Sep 2, 2014 6:22 PM

More on Dynegy - they may be looking to bid for Energy Future Holdings. Which means they will need even more office space downtown.

After bold moves, Dynegy could eventually eye Energy Future Holdings

oscarinhouston Sep 2, 2014 10:24 PM

I drove around Uptown and the captured this.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps78161c57.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps0dc12263.jpg

Astoria Building
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps5ddf7f48.jpg

BHP Billition Building
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps8bbea89d.jpg

toxteth o'grady Sep 3, 2014 6:14 PM

I don't think either the party's over for real estate development or that Downtown will get overbuilt. Evidence is in today's BisNow:

"Cassidy Turley executive managing director John Pruitt is a self-proclaimed zealot for the Allen Center, which he leases for Brookfield. (You don't choose your passion, it chooses you.) Memorial Resource Development must’ve caught his signature enthusiasm—it just inked 125k SF to move into the complex....John tells us Allen Center is 95% occupied overall with only one full floor available."

Memorial Resource Development is a fairly new player in the oil and gas exploration business, having IPO'ed in June. That they're already taking 125,000 sf of office space off the books (and taking it Downtown) says that demand is coming from the most unlikely of places. Which may be why so many new office towers are being proposed Downtown.

More from BisNow. Taken from their Future of Downtown conference:

"The excitement about Downtown is palpable these days, but the future isn’t a straight shot. Cushman & Wakefield executive vice chairman Tim Relyea said at Bisnow's Future of Downtown event that we have 6M SF coming back to the submarket soon. Big names like Exxon, Pennzoil, and Devon are gone or going. But Tim’s not worried—he says we have the best Downtown in America, and major corporations love us and will continue to expand in the market and come here from the ‘burbs."

"Colvill Office Properties prez Chip Colvill (here with colleague Clark Thompson and HFF’s Danny Miller) says Downtown is known as a market where companies stick around and grow. So he’s not worried about the big upcoming vacancies—he says lots of new companies (many you haven’t heard of yet) are starting that cycle, and users are already finding that there isn’t room for expansion in their current building. Besides these little (but will one day be big) tenants, he also knows of a number of companies larger than 200k SF eying Downtown. Tim says we need to get those big deals done now (“if you’re not doing it now, you’re not going to do it”). One interesting factor to watch going forward: Tim says there are only about three good office sites left in the CBD."

toxteth o'grady Sep 3, 2014 6:41 PM

Hope you're not tired of new apartment projects. Alexan CityCentre:

Luxury apartments planned near CityCentre

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/.../09/ALEXAN.jpg

toxteth o'grady Sep 3, 2014 7:45 PM

Seems like many of you have lamented the deplorable condition of the former Days Inn in Downtown Houston. Something seems to be happening here, but what it is ain't exactly clear, according to SwampLot.

What’s Getting Thrown Out the Window at the Abandoned Days Inn Downtown?

"...Last week, a reader spotted a small yellow crane on the roof, and noted that the windows on the building’s side had been taken out. And yesterday another reader noted that more windows were open and “construction workers were throwing items out the windows.”..."

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...h-clearing.jpg

toxteth o'grady Sep 4, 2014 12:59 AM

From an old hotel to a new one...

Hilton debuts new hotel brand to Houston market

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...terior1_fp.jpg

HoustonHorns Sep 4, 2014 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dariusb (Post 6713627)

No. The Energy Corridor is just a bunch of buildings spread out along a freeway. I don't even consider it a skyline. Uptown is only marginally better because the buildings are a little closer together. The TMC, on the other hand, actually looks like it could be a CBD.

HoustonHorns Sep 4, 2014 4:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady (Post 6715439)
I don't think either the party's over for real estate development or that Downtown will get overbuilt. Evidence is in today's BisNow:

"Cassidy Turley executive managing director John Pruitt is a self-proclaimed zealot for the Allen Center, which he leases for Brookfield. (You don't choose your passion, it chooses you.) Memorial Resource Development must’ve caught his signature enthusiasm—it just inked 125k SF to move into the complex....John tells us Allen Center is 95% occupied overall with only one full floor available."

Memorial Resource Development is a fairly new player in the oil and gas exploration business, having IPO'ed in June. That they're already taking 125,000 sf of office space off the books (and taking it Downtown) says that demand is coming from the most unlikely of places. Which may be why so many new office towers are being proposed Downtown.

More from BisNow. Taken from their Future of Downtown conference:

"The excitement about Downtown is palpable these days, but the future isn’t a straight shot. Cushman & Wakefield executive vice chairman Tim Relyea said at Bisnow's Future of Downtown event that we have 6M SF coming back to the submarket soon. Big names like Exxon, Pennzoil, and Devon are gone or going. But Tim’s not worried—he says we have the best Downtown in America, and major corporations love us and will continue to expand in the market and come here from the ‘burbs."

"Colvill Office Properties prez Chip Colvill (here with colleague Clark Thompson and HFF’s Danny Miller) says Downtown is known as a market where companies stick around and grow. So he’s not worried about the big upcoming vacancies—he says lots of new companies (many you haven’t heard of yet) are starting that cycle, and users are already finding that there isn’t room for expansion in their current building. Besides these little (but will one day be big) tenants, he also knows of a number of companies larger than 200k SF eying Downtown. Tim says we need to get those big deals done now (“if you’re not doing it now, you’re not going to do it”). One interesting factor to watch going forward: Tim says there are only about three good office sites left in the CBD."

Great news about the Allen Center lease! Could we possibly see 5 Allen Center starting soon?

I've always wondered why so many big names moved out of Downtown. Maybe it's because, while there is space Downtown, there aren't large chunks available in single buildings for a company to immediately move into or expand. Or energy companies could just prefer a campus environment, which is probably the correct reason.

Clev Sep 4, 2014 4:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady (Post 6715439)
Tim says there are only about three good office sites left in the CBD."

What? I thought there were still plenty of parking lots in the skyscraper district of downtown. How could there only be three good office sites left?

Nucleareaction Sep 4, 2014 1:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clev (Post 6716245)
What? I thought there were still plenty of parking lots in the skyscraper district of downtown. How could there only be three good office sites left?

Perhaps they mean there are only 2-3 sites left that are along major transport corridors, or that the other sites available are too far away/are not connect-able to the tunnel system.

Urbannizer Sep 4, 2014 2:47 PM

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/31/12/12.../1024x1024.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Market Watch
HFF arranges financing for high-rise mixed-use development in downtown Houston

(Thomson Reuters ONE via COMTEX) -- CHARLOTTE, NC - September 3, 2014 - HFF announced today that it has arranged financing for the development of Market Square Tower, a 40-story, mixed-use tower that will include 463 luxury residential units and 21,000 square feet of retail in downtown Houston.

HFF worked exclusively on behalf of the borrower, Woodbranch Investments (Woodbranch), to secure the long-term construction/permanent loan through Pacific Life Insurance Company.

Full Article: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hff...ton-2014-09-03

Bailey Sep 4, 2014 5:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clev (Post 6716245)

A "good office site", in developers terms, is defined as a block with access to the tunnel system.

toxteth o'grady Sep 4, 2014 6:31 PM

I thought the tunnel system often reached out to the buildings, not the other way around.

I'm hoping this item doesn't generate another round of ill feeling. Them damned foreigners are buying homes in Texas.

Mexico leads international home buying activity in Texas

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...al-profile.jpg

toxteth o'grady Sep 4, 2014 7:33 PM

The Greenway Inn (which was once a Best Western which was once the Roman Inn) on the south side of 59 has bitten the dust. No word on what's replacing it. Details from Swamplot:

The Last Days of the Greenway Inn and Suites

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...-demo-sign.jpg

toxteth o'grady Sep 4, 2014 8:02 PM

Another shout-out for Houston: the mayor makes the Politico Top 50. Guest appearance on House of Cards next?

Annise Parker

AviationGuy Sep 5, 2014 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady (Post 6716853)
I thought the tunnel system often reached out to the buildings, not the other way around.

I'm hoping this item doesn't generate another round of ill feeling. Them damned foreigners are buying homes in Texas.

Mexico leads international home buying activity in Texas

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...al-profile.jpg

Is the foreign homebuying in Houston really anything new?

HoustonHorns Sep 5, 2014 6:14 AM

Wow! Here's a skyline update from Metro West on Haif that shows the proposed and under construction projects in Downtown. All of the projects around GRB and MMP are really extending the skyline from this view.
http://s29.postimg.org/ys2kkkton/Dow..._Stadium_1.jpg
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...-update/page-3

Houstono Sep 5, 2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoustonHorns (Post 6717855)
Wow! Here's a skyline update from Metro West on Haif that shows the proposed and under construction projects in Downtown. All of the projects around GRB and MMP are really extending the skyline from this view.

What happened to the 1600 Louisiana Tower? It looks even better now in the skyline than the previous renderings.

toxteth o'grady Sep 5, 2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviationGuy (Post 6717576)
Is the foreign homebuying in Houston really anything new?

As far as I know, it's always been happening, but mostly within the last ten to fifteen years. The EB-5 program is a recent phenomenon.

And Interjet begins service to Houston from Mexico in October.

toxteth o'grady Sep 5, 2014 1:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houstono (Post 6717949)
What happened to the 1600 Louisiana Tower? It looks even better now in the skyline than the previous renderings.

That rendering is probably an older design. The split top does not appear in the last known image of the building.

I would be curious to see what the skyline would look like if only those projects actually under construction were shown. It's probably still impressive - and that's without the other buildings at the Medical Center, Uptown and the Energy Corridor being in the picture.

toxteth o'grady Sep 5, 2014 2:32 PM

HBJ had a permit listing for the Modera Kinetic Flats, three-level garden apartments on Briar Forest out by Highway 6. No details on the project, other than this description of the interiors.

http://www.hlrinc.net/modera_kinetic_flats.html

http://www.hlrinc.net/images/project...ic_flats_1.jpg

Meanwhile, I saw a real-estate advertisement for 3 Hughes Landing in the HBJ. I can't tell if that's the building that will be occupied by Exxon Mobil; they were supposed to take most of two buildings. So I don't know if the ad is to lease out the rest of the building or an entirely different building. Occupancy is set for Q3 of 2015.

Urbannizer Sep 5, 2014 4:21 PM

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/32/00/00...3/784x2048.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houston Chronicle
Developer doubles down in med center

Betting on the continued strong health of the Texas Medical Center, the Dinerstein Cos. is planning a high-rise apartment building at the corner of Cambridge and Holcombe, its second recent residential project in the area.

The tower, designed by Chicago-based Solomon Cordwell Buenz, will rise 21 stories and contain 375 units targeted to "renters by choice," said Brian Dinerstein, president of the Houston-based developer that builds multifamily projects in markets across the country.

The building's angled design was created to take advantage of views of downtown and Hermann Park, he said.

Demand for housing in the Medical Center/Bellaire submarket has pushed up occupancy 5.6 percent and rents 12.5 percent over a three-month period, according to an August report from Apartment Data Services.

Developers are building thousands of units inside the 610 Loop, acting on growing desire by Houstonians to rent -- often for a significant premium -- in properties close to where they work instead of buying homes in the suburbs.

Rents in Dinerstein's new building will start at $1,600 per month for a one-bedroom and go up to around $3,500. The average unit size will be just under 950 square feet. The building will have mostly one- and two-bedroom units.

One of the company's financial partners on the project is AmREIT, a Houston-based real estate investment trust that owned the land.

Full Article: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...er-5734747.php

toxteth o'grady Sep 5, 2014 6:53 PM

Th Chron's a bit late with that, aren't they?

Urbannizer Sep 5, 2014 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady (Post 6718519)
Th Chron's a bit late with that, aren't they?

The article gives out a few new details about the project.

Clev Sep 5, 2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Houston is looking good! I'm always impressed with the size of the downtown skyline.

TexasPlaya Sep 6, 2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Is that a new rendering of the Chevron building on the left?

Urbannizer Sep 6, 2014 1:20 AM

Projects missing in that pic is Hotel Alessandra and the hotel planned by the GHP.

TXLove Sep 6, 2014 2:39 AM

The rendering for 1600 Louisiana looks like the Devron tower in OKC! The latest rendering for Chevron still had the roof flat. Just a building with the height of what Chevron's tower will be im assuming!

toxteth o'grady Sep 6, 2014 4:02 AM

Wallis State Bank plans a six-story, 120,000 sf office building next to their existing headquarters on Beltway 8:

Wallis State Bank plans second office building near headquarters

AustinTay Sep 6, 2014 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXLove (Post 6719116)
The rendering for 1600 Louisiana looks like the Devron tower in OKC! The latest rendering for Chevron still had the roof flat. Just a building with the height of what Chevron's tower will be im assuming!

It's not an official rendering. It was created by a poster at HAIF.

TXLove Sep 6, 2014 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinTay (Post 6719356)
It's not an official rendering. It was created by a poster at HAIF.

That is exactly what I was saying. Just said it looked liked the tower in OKC :tup:

Von Sep 6, 2014 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6719041)
Projects missing in that pic is Hotel Alessandra and the hotel planned by the GHP.

What hotel planned by GHP are you talking about?:shrug:

toxteth o'grady Sep 7, 2014 12:02 AM

It's the 15-story hotel proposed next to their office tower atop the GRB garage. It only needs an operator.

Dariusb Sep 7, 2014 9:32 AM

Quote:

Gorgeous shot!

Sic'EmBears Sep 7, 2014 5:03 PM

Agreed. Very big skyline, but such boring tops. Houston needs more interesting tops like 609 Main, BOA, 1600 Smith etc.

HoustonHorns Sep 7, 2014 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sic'EmBears (Post 6720361)
Agreed. Very big skyline, but such boring tops. Houston needs more interesting tops like 609 Main, BOA, 1600 Smith etc.

Agreed, but most skylines in America are dominated by buildings with boring tops. Houston actually has more unique buildings than most, they just don't dominate the skyline. One thing that I like about the skyline is the numerous different colored buildings. That, to me, makes the skyline unique.