SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Lowrise/General Developments Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160247)

Philly Fan Nov 3, 2016 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7611901)
Excited to start hearing some names! :cheers:

Well based on that rendering, we know that one of them is going to be SIGNAGE. I love that store. :cool:

Londonee Nov 3, 2016 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7611901)
Excited to start hearing some names! :cheers:

I'm betting a TopShop.

rricci Nov 4, 2016 8:12 PM

PennDOT bridge project

The below excerpt is from the LSNA newsletter (which BTW says this month's meeting agenda includes a presentation about 23rd & Arch River City). The bridgr project is expected to end one year early. The original bridge project called for work on JFK bridges also, and included a walk-on ramp from 22nd St across from Trader Joe's up to JFK Blvd. Does anyone have current information on that portion of the project?

Accelerated Schedule for I-676 Bridge Project

Accelerated Construction Schedule to Complete I-676 Bridges Project a Year Early!

November 3, 2016 -- The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) today announced that work will begin Monday, November 7, to replace the 22nd Street and 21st Street bridges over Interstate 676 in Philadelphia. PennDOT is advancing the start of construction on the two spans in order to complete the $64.8 million project to replace seven bridges over I-676 a year ahead of schedule.
"Advancing the start of construction on the 22nd and 21st street bridges by eight months saves considerable time on the back end and enables the entire infrastructure improvement project to finish much earlier than anticipated," said George Dunheimer, P.E., PennDOT's Assistant District Executive for Construction.
"The plan was to replace four bridges over I-676 in stage one, which began last year, and three bridges in stage two, which is scheduled to start in July. However, we conducted a study that revealed no adverse traffic flow impacts within the project area by advancing the start of the 22nd and 21st street bridges," Dunheimer added.
PennDOT will keep two lanes of traffic open on the 22nd Street and 21st Street bridges throughout their reconstruction by rebuilding both bridges one half at a time. Both bridges are expected to be completed in fall 2018.
The two bridges are part of PennDOT's project to replace seven structurally deficient bridges over I-676 between 22nd Street and 18th Street, and to make landscaping and streetscape improvements above the expressway. Construction began in April 2015 and the project is now scheduled to finish in November 2018, instead of November 2019.
Crews will work from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM on Monday, November 7, to restripe travel lanes and move two lanes of northbound traffic on 22nd Street to the east side of the structure. They also will begin initial preparatory on the 21st Street bridge to close the east sidewalk and parking lane. Once preparations are complete in late November, the contractor will shift traffic to the east side of the 21st Street bridge and begin reconstruction of the western half of the structure. Additional work may be performed on both bridges next week between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM to finalize the traffic pattern changes.
A sidewalk on the 22nd Street overpass will remain open to pedestrians during all phases of construction. The narrow width of the 21st Street bridge does not provide space for a sidewalk to remain open during construction. Pedestrians on 21st Street will be directed to pedestrian crossings on 22nd Street or to 20th Street/Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
Parking on the 22nd Street and 21st Street overpasses will be eliminated during construction.
I-676 will be closed and detoured periodically during overnight hours while the 22nd Street and 21st Street bridges are under construction.
Similar to the five other bridges that PennDOT is replacing over I-676 under this project, the new 22nd Street and 21st Street bridges will be single-span structures, which eliminates the need for piers in the center of I-676. The existing center piers will be removed.
In addition to these two spans, PennDOT is currently building new pedestrian bridges at the Free Library and former Family Court building, and new structures on 19th Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway/20th Street over I-676. Construction on the 18th Street bridge over I-676 is scheduled to start in mid-2017 and finish in mid-2018. The 18th Street bridge will be closed during construction.
PennDOT's contractor is currently rebuilding the western-most section of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway/20th Street structure. Construction of the new Benjamin Franklin Parkway/20th Street bridge is being performed in phases and is scheduled to finish in June 2017.
The new 19th Street bridge over I-676 is scheduled to be completed and opened in late 2016.
The two new pedestrian crossings at the Free Library and former Family Court building are expected to open in June 2017, following the completion of improvements to the public spaces at each crossing.
PennDOT and its general contractor, Buckley & Company, Inc. of Philadelphia, worked out the revised construction schedule. The new accelerated schedule will not change the cost of the $64,836,180 project, which is financed with 100 percent federal funds.
For more information on the I-676 project, visit www.bridgesover676.com.

summersm343 Nov 4, 2016 10:38 PM

Bloc23 - Condominiums - 24th and Bainbridge - 4 floors

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5c&oe=589E129C

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f8&oe=5897BBD1

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...6f&oe=58920AA9

blart Nov 5, 2016 11:34 PM

Does anyone know what's happening with the lot at 5th & Race and the national lot on 2nd?

The buildings were demolished how long ago?… still no signs of any progress.

http://i.imgur.com/Awui2iU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OePjXzU.jpg

1487 Nov 7, 2016 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rricci (Post 7613133)
The below excerpt is from the LSNA newsletter (which BTW says this month's meeting agenda includes a presentation about 23rd & Arch River City). The bridgr project is expected to end one year early. The original bridge project called for work on JFK bridges also, and included a walk-on ramp from 22nd St across from Trader Joe's up to JFK Blvd. Does anyone have current information on that portion of the project?

Accelerated Schedule for I-676 Bridge Project

Accelerated Construction Schedule to Complete I-676 Bridges Project a Year Early!

November 3, 2016 -- The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) today announced that work will begin Monday, November 7, to replace the 22nd Street and 21st Street bridges over Interstate 676 in Philadelphia. PennDOT is advancing the start of construction on the two spans in order to complete the $64.8 million project to replace seven bridges over I-676 a year ahead of schedule.
"Advancing the start of construction on the 22nd and 21st street bridges by eight months saves considerable time on the back end and enables the entire infrastructure improvement project to finish much earlier than anticipated," said George Dunheimer, P.E., PennDOT's Assistant District Executive for Construction.
"The plan was to replace four bridges over I-676 in stage one, which began last year, and three bridges in stage two, which is scheduled to start in July. However, we conducted a study that revealed no adverse traffic flow impacts within the project area by advancing the start of the 22nd and 21st street bridges," Dunheimer added.
PennDOT will keep two lanes of traffic open on the 22nd Street and 21st Street bridges throughout their reconstruction by rebuilding both bridges one half at a time. Both bridges are expected to be completed in fall 2018.
The two bridges are part of PennDOT's project to replace seven structurally deficient bridges over I-676 between 22nd Street and 18th Street, and to make landscaping and streetscape improvements above the expressway. Construction began in April 2015 and the project is now scheduled to finish in November 2018, instead of November 2019.
Crews will work from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM on Monday, November 7, to restripe travel lanes and move two lanes of northbound traffic on 22nd Street to the east side of the structure. They also will begin initial preparatory on the 21st Street bridge to close the east sidewalk and parking lane. Once preparations are complete in late November, the contractor will shift traffic to the east side of the 21st Street bridge and begin reconstruction of the western half of the structure. Additional work may be performed on both bridges next week between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM to finalize the traffic pattern changes.
A sidewalk on the 22nd Street overpass will remain open to pedestrians during all phases of construction. The narrow width of the 21st Street bridge does not provide space for a sidewalk to remain open during construction. Pedestrians on 21st Street will be directed to pedestrian crossings on 22nd Street or to 20th Street/Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
Parking on the 22nd Street and 21st Street overpasses will be eliminated during construction.
I-676 will be closed and detoured periodically during overnight hours while the 22nd Street and 21st Street bridges are under construction.
Similar to the five other bridges that PennDOT is replacing over I-676 under this project, the new 22nd Street and 21st Street bridges will be single-span structures, which eliminates the need for piers in the center of I-676. The existing center piers will be removed.
In addition to these two spans, PennDOT is currently building new pedestrian bridges at the Free Library and former Family Court building, and new structures on 19th Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway/20th Street over I-676. Construction on the 18th Street bridge over I-676 is scheduled to start in mid-2017 and finish in mid-2018. The 18th Street bridge will be closed during construction.
PennDOT's contractor is currently rebuilding the western-most section of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway/20th Street structure. Construction of the new Benjamin Franklin Parkway/20th Street bridge is being performed in phases and is scheduled to finish in June 2017.
The new 19th Street bridge over I-676 is scheduled to be completed and opened in late 2016.
The two new pedestrian crossings at the Free Library and former Family Court building are expected to open in June 2017, following the completion of improvements to the public spaces at each crossing.
PennDOT and its general contractor, Buckley & Company, Inc. of Philadelphia, worked out the revised construction schedule. The new accelerated schedule will not change the cost of the $64,836,180 project, which is financed with 100 percent federal funds.
For more information on the I-676 project, visit www.bridgesover676.com.

JFK bridges are separate project.

thisisforreal Nov 8, 2016 11:46 AM

I went to go post this picture in the thread for this project not realizing it was already locked. I was then going to make a sarcastic quip about whether it we could officially close the thread and move it to the lowrise discussion since it no longer qualified as a high rise.

:rolleyes:

CRANE IS UP! :yuck:

http://i.imgur.com/kpKobEK.jpg

Since the other thread is closed and I don't often check this one, apologies if this has already been pointed out by someone else.

summersm343 Nov 8, 2016 5:06 PM

Group buys Spring Garden St. bank site for eventual redevelopment

Quote:

Arts & Crafts Holdings, a development group that has been snapping up properties north of Center City, has made another acquisition: the Citizens Bank branch at Spring Garden Street and Ridge Avenue.

Marc Wiser of brokerage Go Commercial, who represented Baltimore-based seller MMAC Properties LP in the transaction, said in an email that the new owners are thought to be planning to "wait, hold and then redevelop" the property at 1201 Spring Garden St.
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...velopment.html

1487 Nov 8, 2016 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7616352)
Group buys Spring Garden St. bank site for eventual redevelopment

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...velopment.html

this area is in desperate need of more development. It makes no sense that we have development in Fishtown and Kensington while this area looks like crap. I would love to know why there has been so little investment along Spring Garden.

McBane Nov 8, 2016 9:17 PM

This is directly correlated with the High Line. We'll continue to see much more of this. Advocates for the park's funding should document all the proposals and real estate deals that have sprouted since the park's status was confirmed. It would also be interesting to see development patterns in the area before and currently, to measure the actual impact. As I understand, only a small portion of the elevated park is funded. If they want to increase funds, show everyone how much economic activity the park has spurred.

summersm343 Nov 9, 2016 1:57 AM

1823 Callowhill - apartments/retail - 5 floors

http://www.ocfrealty.com/sites/www.o...s/DSCF6728.JPG

http://www.ocfrealty.com/sites/www.o.../1823Wulff.jpg

Article:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-on-callowhill

summersm343 Nov 9, 2016 2:07 AM

GameStop temporarily hopping across Market Street as Gallery revamp progresses

Maybe a future mixed use development on the 1000 block of Market? Would love to see a 3-story retail space topped by a high-rise tower.

Quote:

Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust (PREIT) is moving the Gallery at Market East's GameStop store to a property it owns across Market Street as work to redevelop the shopping mall into an outlet center progresses.

A permit for GameStop signage has been issued for 1018 Market St., according to Karen Guss, a spokeswoman for the Philadelphia Department of Licenses & Inspections.

The space "is a temporary location designed to accommodate GameStop and its customers in the best possible way in the short term," PREIT said in an emailed statement.

The 1018 Market St. property is one of three contiguous buildings PREIT and its partner in the Gallery's redevelopment, Macerich of Santa Monica, Calif., acquired last year. Another is the former Robinson department store building at 1020 Market St., which was listed this year on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places, granting it some protection from demolition or alteration.

PREIT is challenging the historic-register listing in court, with chief executive Joseph Coradino saying the company wants to maintain the flexibility to redevelop the three properties together for a retailer seeking a large "flagship" location.
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...et-Street.html

Redddog Nov 9, 2016 2:51 PM

my question is ....what are they going to do with the Robinsons building?

I get that it is an architectural study (and don't hate me for this) despite how ugly it is. It certainly doesn't fit the vision that those investing in Market East have for the area but that building is protected. Doesn't that mean that it HAS to stay?

I'm torn. On one hand, I, like everyone, want to see more East Market type development on that stretch but on the other, I get the significance of that building (even though it's butt ugly).

summersm343 Nov 9, 2016 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redddog (Post 7617660)
my question is ....what are they going to do with the Robinsons building?

I get that it is an architectural study (and don't hate me for this) despite how ugly it is. It certainly doesn't fit the vision that those investing in Market East have for the area but that building is protected. Doesn't that mean that it HAS to stay?

I'm torn. On one hand, I, like everyone, want to see more East Market type development on that stretch but on the other, I get the significance of that building (even though it's butt ugly).

I don't think it should be historically certified. It's pretty damn ugly. I wouldn't mind it being demolished along with every other building on this stretch along the south side of the 1000 block of Market Street to make way for a shiny new mixed-use tower.

Redddog Nov 9, 2016 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7617709)
I don't think it should be historically certified. It's pretty damn ugly. I wouldn't mind it being demolished along with every other building on this stretch along the south side of the 1000 block of Market Street to make way for a shiny new mixed-use tower.

How dare you... you anti-preservationist.

So is there a scenario where that building can be lovingly reshaped into a building that isn't very ugly (ie. demolished to the ground to make way for a shiny new mixed use tower)?

summersm343 Nov 9, 2016 5:13 PM

^^Haha! Well apparently PREIT is fighting it's historical preservation. Hopefully they'll win. If not, maybe they can "preserve the facade" but demolish the rest of it.

...And by preserve the facade I mean cover it up with glowing, electronic billboards :D

McBane Nov 9, 2016 9:17 PM

What's so historical about the Robinson store? I read Inga's blog post on it but didn't come away thinking how significant this building is to Philadelphia history.

In any case this is a good reason that Philadelphia needs at least two levels of historic certification. One that is extremely restrictive and applied selectively and one that is more loose and appropriate for buildings such as this. Does Robinson's Department Store REALLY belong in the same historic category as say, Boathouse Row?

summersm343 Nov 9, 2016 9:53 PM

The Isle - Manayunk - luxury apartments - 5 floors

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...5a&oe=5895506C

https://www.facebook.com/groups/grea...lphiaplanners/

Urbanthusiat Nov 9, 2016 11:02 PM

Having admittedly only seen it from that side, I find The Isle is incredibly ugly. I'm sure the amenities are nice and everything is modern, but it sure is ugly. I get that cities have to adapt and take the new with the old to be successful, but wow. I hope the other side is redeeming and meets the street well and activates it with retail. I'd love for someone to post a pic.

Sgalla04 Nov 10, 2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat (Post 7618370)
Having admittedly only seen it from that side, I find The Isle is incredibly ugly. I'm sure the amenities are nice and everything is modern, but it sure is ugly. I get that cities have to adapt and take the new with the old to be successful, but wow. I hope the other side is redeeming and meets the street well and activates it with retail. I'd love for someone to post a pic.

It doesn't need to meet the street well. It is on the other side of the canal. So it's tucked behind buildings that are on Main St. The reason there is no retail on the bottom floor is because every so often when there is a huge storm Venice Island floods because of the Schuylkill River. The ground level is just for parking. Pretty smart of the developers finding "new" land in Manayunk. However, I do agree that it is pretty ugly from the Schuylkill Expressway when driving by.