SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

Vicelord John Aug 22, 2011 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5386516)
*50% of the population of Boston are gigantic assholes.

Have you noticed that everyone from Boston is extremely loud, or is it just me?

And I have to ask... your rants (like the one you just posted) are always so serious. Why are they serious? you are a comedian right? make us laugh when you rant about stuff!

SunDevil Aug 22, 2011 5:07 PM

Date tonight wants Sushi, not Japanese food in general, but sushi. I was thinking Kyoto in Old town, but I though it would be neat to find some place closer by. We both live near 40th st and Thomas, but we both work in Uptown, so anywhere near there and in between. Any recommendations?

Vicelord John Aug 22, 2011 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 5386564)
Date tonight wants Sushi, not Japanese food in general, but sushi. I was thinking Kyoto in Old town, but I though it would be neat to find some place closer by. We both live near 40th st and Thomas, but we both work in Uptown, so anywhere near there and in between. Any recommendations?

I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Kyoto. My over opinionated, self absorbed ass thinks it's the know-it-all of Japanese cuisine.

If you want really knock your socks off sushi, Hana at 7th avenue and Missouri is your ticket. They are a BYOB, and an extremely no frills place. If you want a little more atmoshphere at the sacrifice of food quality, Stingray at Biltmore Fashion Park isn't terrible.

If you don't mind the drive, Roka Akor at Indian Bend and Scottsdale was named one of the top 10 sushi restaurants in the country by Bon Apitite Magazine last year.

SunDevil Aug 22, 2011 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5386597)
I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Kyoto. My over opinionated, self absorbed ass thinks it's the know-it-all of Japanese cuisine.

If you want really knock your socks off sushi, Hana at 7th avenue and Missouri is your ticket. They are a BYOB, and an extremely no frills place. If you want a little more atmoshphere at the sacrifice of food quality, Stingray at Biltmore Fashion Park isn't terrible.

If you don't mind the drive, Roka Akor at Indian Bend and Scottsdale was named one of the top 10 sushi restaurants in the country by Bon Apitite Magazine last year.

Thanks, sounds like Stingray is the best fit. Leaving straight from work as I work late today (6pm) so I would rather not have to consider BYOB. Will have to check out Hana and Roka Akor some other time.

HX_Guy Aug 22, 2011 6:18 PM

Hana is awesome...it's very good and I love their food presentations...

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4163701_n.jpg

They are a bit pricey I thought, compared to other sushi places.

Vicelord John Aug 22, 2011 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5386638)
They are a bit pricey I thought, compared to other sushi places.

you get what you pay for...

On the subject of those sushi boats, I wonder how they get away with using them... they look very difficult to get completely sterile.

HooverDam Aug 22, 2011 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5386556)
Have you noticed that everyone from Boston is extremely loud, or is it just me?

This is generally true, they're also very impatient. If you're at the front of a line of cars waiting at a Red light and it goes green, you better floor it the microsecond it turns green. If you wait a half second they flip.

I've also heard Bostonians try to defend their brash behavior and claim "people in other places just don't get our sarcasm"---no, if everyone else doesn't get it, it means you're not funny, you're annoying. Its not as if the rest of America is out of the loop on sarcasm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5386556)
And I have to ask... your rants (like the one you just posted) are always so serious. Why are they serious? you are a comedian right? make us laugh when you rant about stuff!

Well I just don't want to come across as being "on" all the time, that can grow tiring pretty quickly.

combusean Aug 22, 2011 7:55 PM

That was the first thing I noticed in Boston. We get out of the airport at Logan and as soon as one person honks their horn at slow traffic, the whole mess of cars did. It was a huge turnoff coming out of the airport into the city and hearing that mess, and the bad taste never left my mouth.

PhxDowntowner Aug 22, 2011 8:05 PM

i love Boston.

HooverDam Aug 22, 2011 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner (Post 5386805)
i love Boston.

I feel the same way about Boston as I do Portland (Oregon). The built environment is terrific and beautiful. If only you could drop a chemical bomb on each city and wipe out the people who inhabit those built environments.

For different reasons of course, Bostonians are overly aggressive, entitled, rude and arrogant. Portlanders are trying WAY too hard to be cool and "ironic" with everything and it comes across as a place where no one is real or willing to act like a normal adult human.

E: VVV When it comes to that sort of thing I agree with Barry Goldwater who said you could "disagree without being disagreeable," I find the people here in BOS to be disagreeable. It seems like they're often aggressively ignorant and just looking for reasons to shout/fight/whatever. I prefer the more laid back West 'coast' sort of person, though they can often be a bit fake. St Louis and the Midwest is where I've found the nicest mix of people being real, but also being polite.

PhxDowntowner Aug 22, 2011 8:42 PM

When i say i love Boston, i mean the people too. I appreciate their direct (some people call that 'aggressive') go-getter attitude. They would rather live life hard and be blunt than passively float down a river of status quo.

Leo the Dog Aug 23, 2011 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5386516)
Its among others. They include:

*50% of the population of Boston are gigantic assholes.

*I miss the West, the geographic diversity, everything out here looks the same.

Spoken like a westerner...not that that is a bad thing (I love the WC). I've noticed that Westerners don't understand the East Coast and vice versa, it really is amazing how different the coasts are. Luckily, for me, I can call both places home.

The 50% "Masshole" ratio consists of the townies that will do nothing with their lives and will live in their neighborhood forever. Every city has these and I'm sure we all know people that I'm describing (including some SW forumers?)

Vicelord John Aug 23, 2011 3:26 PM

If you're a funny person, you're natuarally always "on"

Vicelord John Aug 23, 2011 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 5387581)
Spoken like a westerner...not that that is a bad thing (I love the WC). I've noticed that Westerners don't understand the East Coast and vice versa, it really is amazing how different the coasts are. Luckily, for me, I can call both places home.

The 50% "Masshole" ratio consists of the townies that will do nothing with their lives and will live in their neighborhood forever. Every city has these and I'm sure we all know people that I'm describing (including some SW forumers?)

And that neighborhood and its businesses are the best in the world, bar none. My supervisor at a previous employer was one of them. Loudest, most obnoxious person ever. If you got to know him he was really cool, but based on his brashness, nobody wanted to talk to him that long.

I always wondered why he move away from the best place in the world with the best deli that had the best canollis and the best pastrami, and was right next door to the best Italian place that made gnocchi nobody in the world could top.

HooverDam Aug 23, 2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5387693)
If you're a funny person, you're natuarally always "on"

I've found that most (good) comedians are pretty serious people who read a lot, are well educated and have fairly deep thoughts on the subjects that interest them. I'll make a quip or two in a serious meeting or whatever, but I don't want to go out of my way to be Mr Yuck Yucks, that obnoxious.

I forget who said it (Mike Birbiglia maybe?) but you don't become a comedian because you want to make people laugh. You become a comedian because you want to control when people laugh. You're going to get laughed at either way, but its a desire to control the narrative of that laughter and to be in control.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 5387581)

Yah there's not necessarily anything wrong with how people are out here I guess, its just not the most natural fit for me. I just want to chill and stare into the western sunset while sitting on top of one of the Papago Buttes.

Leo the Dog Aug 24, 2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5388435)
I just want to chill and stare into the western sunset while sitting on top of one of the Papago Buttes.

You always have the Prudential Center observation deck on the 54th floor! :D

Leo the Dog Sep 1, 2011 6:16 AM

D'Backs

Going into September, summer is fading, the elite playoff teams have emerged, D'backs are up big over the Giants to lead the NL West, have a great win streak and somehow Phoenicians fail to even fill half the seats of Chase Field! What's going on? A few years ago and Chase would be almost full.

Quote:

They won their ninth game in a row, and for the 12th consecutive time at home, recording a 4-2 win in front of 23,062 at Chase Field. The win allowed them to retain their six-game lead in the National League West over San Francisco, which defeated Chicago 4-0 earlier in the day.
Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...#ixzz1Wg7zGaBy

Vicelord John Sep 1, 2011 6:33 AM

Baseball is boring as drying paint and Phoenicians realize it.

HooverDam Sep 1, 2011 2:03 PM

Welp, here's something all Arizonans can be proud of:

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/healt...ay-1600-pounds

Vicelord John Sep 1, 2011 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5397623)
Welp, here's something all Arizonans can be proud of:

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/healt...ay-1600-pounds

She'll die around 900 I'm sure of it. Any bets?