SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

thurmas Jun 16, 2022 12:48 PM

Word coming out Ron Maclean will be dropped this summer as ratings of HNIC have nose dived and tons of complaints of how they are failing to connect with younger viewers. They list Kevin Bieska as the only bright spot. I agree their broadcasts now are so incredibly low energy and lack any sort of charisma or fun characters it feels like a bankers meeting watching their intermissions way to analytical and no fun at all.

TimB09 Jun 16, 2022 1:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9651392)
Word coming out Ron Maclean will be dropped this summer as ratings of HNIC have nose dived and tons of complaints of how they are failing to connect with younger viewers. They list Kevin Bieska as the only bright spot. I agree their broadcasts now are so incredibly low energy and lack any sort of charisma or fun characters it feels like a bankers meeting watching their intermissions way to analytical and no fun at all.

Just keep Elliotte on as I love his insider talks.

TimB09 Jun 16, 2022 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 9651107)
If not Genius, then Tannenbaum for sure will be urging them to. The CFL needs to put their product on the market and see if anyone else wants to bid for it. If they just opt for TSN again, they're going to get more of the same: a low value deal and increasingly poor coverage.

Would going with TSN and, say, YouTube, work? Everyone can access YouTube.

Maybe I'm wrong but they do a live MLB game a week so would the CFL work with that? Talk about exposure.

MonctonRad Jun 16, 2022 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9651392)
Word coming out Ron Maclean will be dropped this summer as ratings of HNIC have nose dived and tons of complaints of how they are failing to connect with younger viewers. They list Kevin Bieska as the only bright spot. I agree their broadcasts now are so incredibly low energy and lack any sort of charisma or fun characters it feels like a bankers meeting watching their intermissions way to analytical and no fun at all.

If you want to spice things up, bring back Don Cherry! :haha: :yes: :runaway:

thurmas Jun 16, 2022 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9651437)
If you want to spice things up, bring back Don Cherry! :haha: :yes: :runaway:

Ugh he's 4000 years old now might as well get creepy pierre Mcguire and his monsters wham bam a double dion good grief.

esquire Jun 16, 2022 3:13 PM

Ron MacLean seemed to work fine as Don Cherry's keeper but ever since Grapes left there is no longer a point to having him around. Now he's the one making all of the out of touch Grandpa Simpson comments but without Cherry's humour and charm.

Rogers seems to have inherited the CBC Sports tendency to put the most lifelessly stiff people in their broadcast booths and panels. Maybe individually they aren't bad, but put them together and it's just flat. People gripe about CFL on TSN but I think those people forgot about what it was like in the CFL on CBC days. TSN's coverage is pure adrenaline next to what CBC pumped out.

thurmas Jun 16, 2022 3:24 PM

I joke but in all seriousness I would take pierre Mcguire over the dullsville crew HNIC has right now.

esquire Jun 16, 2022 3:28 PM

^ I should say that not all of the HNIC PxP crews are bad. Chris Cuthbert is perfect, but then it goes downhill from there.

Acajack Jun 16, 2022 3:35 PM

I generally watch the two French networks because I find the talking heads more fun and entertaining (though not necessarily better at analysis).

But when I've watched the coverage in English I do like Elliotte Friedman and also that new Kevin Bieska guy is good too.

esquire Jun 16, 2022 3:39 PM

^ Those are basically the two bright lights of HNIC's studio. Everyone else I can do without. Brian Burke brought some entertainment value too but he's back in the league now.

Acajack Jun 16, 2022 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9651553)
^ Those are basically the two bright lights of HNIC's studio. Everyone else I can do without. Brian Burke brought some entertainment value too but he's back in the league now.

I don't think Bieska has the right skills and profile set to replace MacLean but Friedman probably could. Though if you put him in the host's chair then you deprive yourself of much of the analysis he brings to the show.

TownGuy Jun 16, 2022 6:44 PM

It's a shame TSN didn't win the rights. Their intermission panel is a great mix of analysis and entertainment with James Duthie leading the way. Sportsnet has always sucked in comparison.

EpicPonyTime Jun 16, 2022 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimB09 (Post 9651436)
Would going with TSN and, say, YouTube, work? Everyone can access YouTube.

Maybe I'm wrong but they do a live MLB game a week so would the CFL work with that? Talk about exposure.

Honestly it couldn't hurt. TSN Direct being the only way to stream a CFL game is horrible.

blueandgoldguy Jun 16, 2022 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9650440)
Tsn losing these mls tv rights makes them even look weaker. I am not really sure its a partner that has good long term potential with cable cutting i do wonder if the folks at genius sports might urge the CFL to explore new TV partners. I believe tsn was paying the 3 canadian mls teams 4.5 million a year for tv rights

I heard the MLS tv rights were practically worthless as most of the Canadian teams games could be measured in the tens of thousands outside the handful of big matches and Montreal's which were a bit more respectful when factoring in the french audience.

Heard rumours that TSN/Sportsnet were broadcasting games for practically free with a possible agreement to pay a share of advertising revenues dependent on ratings.

Djeffery Jun 16, 2022 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TownGuy (Post 9651798)
It's a shame TSN didn't win the rights. Their intermission panel is a great mix of analysis and entertainment with James Duthie leading the way. Sportsnet has always sucked in comparison.

Funny too that Duthie was the only TSN on air personality that Sportsnet originally tried to hire back when they got the NHL rights. I wonder what his contract status is now and if he might be persuaded. I doubt it, but you never know.

jonny24 Jun 16, 2022 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 9652130)
Honestly it couldn't hurt. TSN Direct being the only way to stream a CFL game is horrible.

Is it any different than DAZN or something? Login, click the video, watch the game. I'm pretty sure it even has an integrated Chromecast button.

*Live, of course. their On-demand is a joke with no sorting or categorizing.

elly63 Jun 17, 2022 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 9652133)
I heard the MLS tv rights were practically worthless as most of the Canadian teams games could be measured in the tens of thousands outside the handful of big matches and Montreal's which were a bit more respectful when factoring in the french audience.

They were averaging about 38k one year, almost more people in the stands than the viewing audience. TSN was looking at dropping them. That was around the time CFL was getting 500/600k+ I believe the year TFC won the championship they were averaging something like 90k. Usually to break into the top 20 for weekly sports ratings you had to draw 100k viewers.

thurmas Jun 17, 2022 12:09 AM

With MLB, NFL and now MLS using more streaming services with Amazon and Apple the traditional Canadian sports TV provider is still stuck in the past. I don't like TSN or Sportsnet long term future's as innovation is the last thing they know anything about

elly63 Jun 17, 2022 12:21 AM

But how different is a streaming service than TSN? Likely even worse. The best thing that clown at MLSE, Christmas Tree could do is get the league on CTV.

Hackslack Jun 17, 2022 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9652187)
They were averaging about 38k one year, almost more people in the stands than the viewing audience. TSN was looking at dropping them. That was around the time CFL was getting 500/600k+ I believe the year TFC won the championship they were averaging something like 90k. Usually to break into the top 20 for weekly sports ratings you had to draw 100k viewers.

Averaging 90k viewers during their most successful season, and somehow Forbes has TFC valued as the 5th most valuable franchise in MLS at $400 million


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.