SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

TechTalkGuy Aug 28, 2016 12:49 AM

We might still get the spire.
If history is any indication of the future, this has been done before.
Think back to when the Chrysler and Empire State buildings were both competing for the tallest title.

It can happen. :fingerscrossed:

N830MH Aug 28, 2016 2:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy (Post 7544221)
We might still get the spire.
If history is any indication of the future, this has been done before.
Think back to when the Chrysler and Empire State buildings were both competing for the tallest title.

It can happen. :fingerscrossed:

Right. It will happen. Just be patient.

faridnyc Aug 28, 2016 1:18 PM

If Barnett can boost the parapet height to 1650ft with add a spire we can easily have a 2000ft Tower and off course a new tallest building in New York City

chris08876 Aug 28, 2016 2:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faridnyc (Post 7544369)
If Barnett can boost the parapet height to 1650ft with add a spire we can easily have a 2000ft Tower and off course a new tallest building in New York City

That's unrealistic and very unlikely. Granted many of us would like that, but idk if Barnett is a SSP member. If he was, he would of made this the tallest a while back.

Zapatan Aug 28, 2016 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7544406)
That's unrealistic and very unlikely. Granted many of us would like that, but idk if Barnett is a SSP member. If he was, he would of made this the tallest a while back.

Yea... while I obviously wouldn't hold out on the 2000ft (not gonna happen) it wouldn't be nearly as much of an investment to boost this thing back to the high 1700's with a spire and pass 1WTC while maintaining the ~1550 foot roof height. I know Barnett doesn't care, but with such a massive roof height this thing definitely deserves to be tallest.

antinimby Aug 28, 2016 5:04 PM

This is NIMBY-fied NYC and its draconian zoning laws. You can't just decide to build more height and the added occupied space just like that. You can't just grab air rights out of thin air.

If you only have 1.2 million square feet of buildable air rights, to make it taller, you will then have to take space from some other part of the building. We know the Nordstrom space is already spoken for and so that can't be touched. There is little space left for the tower to work with as it stands.

Going higher is nearly impossible now. The only option is the spire but Barnett has already scrapped that so forget about that, too.

Crawford Aug 28, 2016 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 7544466)
Going higher is nearly impossible now.

Well, building bigger is basically impossible now. Obviously Barnett used all the air rights already.

But going higher would be quite easy, as a spire or non-occupied roof element wouldn't be counted towards buildable square feet. If Barnett wants to build taller, he can do so, but only with spire or roof element, not with additional usable floors. And we already know that a spire version exists, and was covertly released.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a last-minute "reveal" of a spire or roof topper, as the top of the building looks unfinished, and official renderings have never been released. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see that the leaked renderings are final. We'll see.

NYguy Aug 30, 2016 1:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7541371)
Likely it's not really 130 floors but rather a marketing gimmick.

Yes, there won't be an "actual" 130 floors. But given the height, it's not a "gimmick" as you say. It has more to do with the higher than average ceiling heights. This primarily started with residential towers but more offers towers do it these days as well. It's more to give a perspective on how high the floors are, as compared with more traditional skyscrapers (older buildings). Barnett could say this has 150 floors and probably get away with it based on height alone. As it is now, the media still equates it that way. (600 ft = 60 stories, etc.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7543935)
Even with the elevation boost, this will be closer to 1,640 ft.

The elevation figures are useless because we'll all be viewing the tower from one elevation or another. It stands at 1,550 ft per DOB permits, so it'll be at least that tall. Still taller by a roof height than anything in New York City at this point.

faridnyc Aug 30, 2016 8:32 AM

This Tower Will surpass the 1wtc in the roof height but crown we still dont know

TechTalkGuy Aug 30, 2016 1:10 PM

I'm sure an even taller tower is being planned right now that will stun us all.
Personally, I prefer the spire because this tower was originally designed for it.
But like I said earlier, the spire can be added back. :)

ILNY Sep 1, 2016 4:19 AM

Peeking out.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8599/2...53967826_o.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8558/2...fd646810_h.jpg

faridnyc Sep 2, 2016 9:06 AM

http://therealdeal.com/2016/09/01/ex...hattan-square/
The rendering shows ctp with the spire

antinimby Sep 2, 2016 2:35 PM

It also shows 220's old design. It's just an old rendering. TRD author got lazy.

Orion1 Sep 2, 2016 5:13 PM

New York, New York

As a Philadelphian I am proud of my hometown and love it. However, I must say that New York City has an fantastic skyline!:cheers: Glad this amazing city is in America.

ILNY Sep 2, 2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion1 (Post 7549997)
As a Philadelphian I am proud of my hometown and love it. However, I must say that New York City has an fantastic skyline!:cheers: Glad this amazing city is in America.

..and it will only get better.

There may be higher towers in China or in the middle of a desert, but no other city in the world has a skyline like New York.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8748/2...9b68fb0c_h.jpg

Higher resolution.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8748/2...aa84da26_o.jpg

faridnyc Sep 3, 2016 7:54 AM

I think That New York City need a megatall to complete it s skyline like hudson spire

streetscaper Sep 3, 2016 1:38 PM

I don't think it needs a megatall, that would ruin the skyline and make all of the other towers (including the supertalls) look short comparatively and less impressive.

If it got several megatalls (or close to megatalls) in the currently forming supertall districts (to form a nice ecosystem of skyscrapers, not complete domination) then I'd be happy getting them but that's so highly unlikely.

faridnyc Sep 3, 2016 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetscaper (Post 7550667)
I don't think it needs a megatall, that would ruin the skyline and make all of the other towers (including the supertalls) look short comparatively and less impressive.

If it got several megatalls (or close to megatalls) in the currently forming supertall districts (to form a nice ecosystem of skyscrapers, not complete domination) then I'd be happy getting them but that's so highly unlikely.

With faa rule i can not imagine a day That nyc have a megatall please dont take me as a bad man, i wish That one day the faa stop banned exceeding 2000 ft height

Zapatan Sep 3, 2016 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faridnyc (Post 7550800)
With faa rule i can not imagine a day That nyc have a megatall please dont take me as a bad man, i wish That one day the faa stop banned exceeding 2000 ft height

A megatall is 600 meters or 1,968 feet, still possible.

In any case height hardly matters after a certain point. NY doesn't need building higher than that to be amazing.

faridnyc Sep 4, 2016 7:09 PM

Can the height roof top of the parapet close 500m ?