SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

Zapatan May 12, 2015 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 7024235)
“When we were planning the building, we decided that we were going to make it less tall out of respect,” Barnett said last month. “I can’t comment on what other developers plan to do or what our final building will be, but that was the plan.”

The new tower will be anchored by a 200,000-square-foot Nordstrom store.

Looks like Gary finally came to his senses :)

Busy Bee May 12, 2015 4:27 PM

Here's to hoping that 2WTC goes through a major redesign and tops out at 2001' putting this whole 1776' nonsense to bed. Why the hell would a terrorist care about Americas' Independence declaration date anyways - it's empty symbolism at best.

forj May 12, 2015 4:45 PM

Quote:

“The Nordstrom Tower will categorically not be taller than 1 World Trade Center,” Barnett told The Post late Monday.
so what the hell? now we're all excited about it being taller and he's still claiming it wont be?

also from the previous page.. that list of all the new supertalls being built.. i totally forgot that 1 Vanderbilt is going to have a 1400 ft + roof height and top our over 1500 ft.. that thing is a damn beast.. no skinny tower there.

Zapatan May 12, 2015 4:49 PM

I'm so confused...

He flips flops more than a politician.

ethereal_reality May 12, 2015 5:03 PM

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...540/8D5S4C.jpg
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...et-higher.html

Onn May 12, 2015 5:07 PM

Barnett has given that same statement before, when the last design was leaked. In fact I think that's the same quote. It seems kind of strange the Post would interview him on the same day the new design was leaked.

JACKinBeantown May 12, 2015 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onn (Post 7023225)
This is probably good for Nordstrom as well. Now they can say they have the newest department store in the county's tallest building.

... and the country's. ;)

Like everyone else here, I'm glad it will be the tallest to the roof/parapet. (I don't care about the spire height. A spire won't keep the rain off my head.)

Zapatan May 12, 2015 7:11 PM

It says June 2014 for the "new design"

It might be outdated.

I need more confirmation to believe it's really 1530/1795 honestly. It seems mildly too good to be true.

ethereal_reality May 12, 2015 8:38 PM

:previous:I noticed that too Zapatan. I thought it was just a typo. Did they mean "New Design. June 2015"?

chris08876 May 12, 2015 8:40 PM

Guys go with what Nikolai saids aka YIMBY. Believe him, he has the actual info lol. No need for fabrications.

Everything thing is under control! Breath in and out, in and out. Count back from 10 slowly. You'll be alright.

We have seen this concept before in the past. For those who have insider info, its best to trust them... :tup:

hunser May 12, 2015 8:53 PM

It's just a petty move by Barnett. He doesn't care about the 1,776' figure - he uses it to his advantage. In secret he always aimed to go higher, so Nordstrom would end up tallest and no other developer would dare to exceed 1,776'.

chris08876 May 12, 2015 8:58 PM

This is all a tactic to keep publicity down and to not create hysteria in the architectural/engineering community. All just a tactic of creating an illusion that aims to create confusion but at the same time manipulation. This is working towards his advantage. The less the project is known about, the better because it will allow it to not be in the crosshairs of those who seek to undermine it. Thats really why this secrecy and suspense has been going all along during this design process.

Categorically is a term liars use.

forj May 12, 2015 10:09 PM

why would there be hysteria in the the architectural/engineering community over this project anyway? i highly doubt that there would be whether is it 10 meters taller or shorter.

Onn May 12, 2015 10:34 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here's what I think happened:

When Barnett said that Nordstrom Tower wouldn't be taller than the 1WTC he meant it. But somebody else (in other words not Barnett) also had a say in the height of the tower. The architects, someone else at Extell, or maybe even Nordstrom themselves. And although Barnett didn't originally want the tower to be taller than 1WTC, someone else did and because of that the tower will be taller. Just speculation here.

Zapatan May 12, 2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onn (Post 7025110)
I'm going to go out on a limb here's what I think happened:

When Barnett said that Nordstrom Tower wouldn't be taller than the 1WTC he meant it. But somebody (in other words not Barnett) also had a say in the height of the tower. The architects, someone else at Extell, or maybe even Nordstrom themselves. And although Barnett didn't originally want the tower to be taller than 1WTC, someone else did and because of that the tower will be taller. Just speculation here!

Judging by the quote I posted earlier it was probably something like that. The fact that he apparently said last night that it still wasn't taller is what's weird, maybe he's lying or maybe YIMBY was (probably the first one, YIMBY is usually pretty reliable).

Quote:

“When we were planning the building, we decided that we were going to make it less tall out of respect,” Barnett said last month. “I can’t comment on what other developers plan to do or what our final building will be, but that was the plan.”

Onn May 12, 2015 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7025114)
Judging by the quote I posted earlier it was probably something like that. The fact that he apparently said last night that it still wasn't taller is what's weird, maybe he's lying or maybe YIMBY was (probably the first one, YIMBY is usually pretty reliable).

Like Barnett is denying Nordstrom Tower will be taller but its true. Like maybe he's not going to say anything else on the subject.

Sounds like a corporate move to me, gotta win over the competition... :)

DCReid May 12, 2015 11:13 PM

Maybe he has not decided yet and will not decide until the building is more than half way done. I think builder of the downtown residential tower that may be 1356 feet has not decided either -- they may be waiting on how sales go before deciding how tall to build.

anday May 12, 2015 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7024950)
:previous:I noticed that too Zapatan. I thought it was just a typo. Did they mean "New Design. June 2015"?

I think it got a height increase in mid 2014 but it went unnoticed until now but I don't know I love skyscrapers but I don't know that much about how they work.

hunser May 13, 2015 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 7024160)
New York has never lacked height.

Well, after 9/11 the skyline was kind of flat (especially Downtown). Of course "flat" in NYC means having a 700 - 800ft plateau which is impressive. But with 1WTC and 432 PA (both 400m+ to the roof) the skyline as a whole gained some serious height and it will only get better.

Since this is OT, I'll stop here. :cheers:

Zapatan May 13, 2015 4:13 PM

Quote:

This quote couldn't be any more contradictory... it sounds like he was hinting at other developers not to go higher, but then said that "was" the plan and doesn't know the final building design.

I'm too confused man, you make no sense Barnett.