SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   MEMPHIS | Development News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177212)

arkitekte Nov 19, 2013 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSRJ (Post 6344854)
I know there are restrictions due to the building's historical status, but I really wish the building could receive a facade remodel similar to Indianapolis' One Indiana Square.
Wishful thinking, I know. I just wish that our tallest building was more visually appealing. But just having lights on more often should help.

That's not necessarily out of the question. As far as I know the current owner(s) are only looking to have the rooftop restaurant listed on the National Register. Furthermore, as long as the restaurant is rehabbed to its historical context the rest of the building can somewhat change. At ground level as long as the building doesn't harm the integrity of Main Street, it can be slightly changed. That's not saying that it would be approved drastically different than it is now, or that it's something that the developer is considering, but the NRHP will only recognize the tower and how the rest of the building complements the restaurant's historic status.

Trevor Birchett Nov 19, 2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSRJ (Post 6344854)
I know there are restrictions due to the building's historical status, but I really wish the building could receive a facade remodel similar to Indianapolis' One Indiana Square: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Indiana_Square

Wishful thinking, I know. I just wish that our tallest building was more visually appealing. But just having lights on more often should help.

You don't even know how much I want a decent, visually appealing building like that in Downtown. The only one that comes close is the Morgan Keegan Tower. The rest of them just look rather bland and boring.

You can see what I mean if you look at this photo, the Morgan Keegan Tower is the brown building 3rd from right.

(NOT my photo)
http://transworldexpedition.com/wp-c...s_downtown.jpg

VSRJ Nov 20, 2013 5:26 AM

I grabbed some shots of 100 N. Main tonight. It sure does look impressive at night with more than a handful of illuminated windows!

http://i43.tinypic.com/ifyefm.jpg

Taken from Main and Jefferson.

http://i41.tinypic.com/24n1zqh.jpg

Taken from Poplar and Danny Thomas.

I didn't see any activity inside the building, but there very well could have been something going on... I wish we knew more.

ILoveMemphis Nov 20, 2013 4:57 PM

I think we will see great things happen to this building. I really do. The new owner seems to be investing money in it. I can't wait to see what happens.

DoomJ Nov 20, 2013 9:00 PM

Hey, some development news!

Quote:

The owners of the Printer's Alley Lofts development in Downtown Memphis are about to double the project's size to $6.1 million with the addition of 22 lofts.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...m.html?ana=twt

arkitekte Nov 20, 2013 9:23 PM

^Nice! I was hoping for a minute it would include 339 S. Front as well, but with the redevelopment happening next door someone will eventually do something with that property. I was able to go inside last summer and compared to some of the other vacant properties in downtown it's actually in very good condition; not to mention the views of downtown and South Main from there are pretty nice.

DoomJ Nov 20, 2013 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6346845)
^Nice! I was hoping for a minute it would include 339 S. Front as well, but with the redevelopment happening next door someone will eventually do something with that property. I was able to go inside last summer and compared to some of the other vacant properties in downtown it's actually in very good condition; not to mention the views of downtown and South Main from there are pretty nice.

That old print-house behind it with the chimney is pretty cool too.

arkitekte Nov 20, 2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomJ (Post 6346870)
That old print-house behind it with the chimney is pretty cool too.

No doubt.
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/...DSC_0103-1.jpg

kingchef Nov 20, 2013 11:19 PM

i'm for a very decent convention center "come hell or high water!" second, not to offend the methodist, but when are they going to get their building completed...much longer and the Lord will be back, and there will be no need for the building!

the photo w/ the shot of part of downtown and the danny thomas blvd st. sign is part of a parcel that will supposedly have a highrise residential building on it, according to the new master plan for the downtown. that project is to be completed w/in the next 5 years.

i agree w/ the statement made by harris concerning beale street and other topics. he, along w many others, realizes the need for hotel rooms downtown. we hang a part of our local economy on tourism, but it seems that those who have the reigns can't or won't guide the sleigh.

Trevor Birchett Nov 21, 2013 1:27 AM

Renderings of renovations to AutoZone Park from the CA

Chris Warren Nov 21, 2013 2:50 AM

Hello I'm New

Hello I'm new to this forum and I live in Memphis but I have some information, I past by the International Paper HQ and saw a crane. Which might mean they are working on their fourth tower you guys might want to check it out.

arkitekte Nov 21, 2013 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Birchett (Post 6347183)

I understand that Autozone Park is nowhere near capacity for Redbirds games, but why are they proposing to remove seating? Autozone is considered one of the best AAA parks in the country, because of its location of course and its design, but I don't see logic in removing seats; maybe that will be addressed at a later date.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Warren (Post 6347280)
Hello I'm new to this forum and I live in Memphis but I have some information, I past by the International Paper HQ and saw a crane. Which might mean they are working on their fourth tower you guys might want to check it out.

Welcome to the forum!

Huntsvillenative Nov 21, 2013 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6347317)
I understand that Autozone Park is nowhere near capacity for Redbirds games, but why are they proposing to remove seating? Autozone is considered one of the best AAA parks in the country, because of its location of course and its design, but I don't see logic in removing seats; maybe that will be addressed at a later date.

I agree. They are gonna ruin the beauty and pro-style feel of Autozone Park by doing that. But, that's Memphis for you.

DoomJ Nov 21, 2013 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6348016)
I agree. They are gonna ruin the beauty and pro-style feel of Autozone Park by doing that. But, that's Memphis for you.

They should try marketing. I'm trying to remember the last Redbirds' marketing campaign.

Huntsvillenative Nov 21, 2013 10:27 PM

Memphis-based powerhouse Elvis Presley Enterprises was sold to the company that owns Marilyn Monroe's estate. They are also partnering up with another company to run Graceland tours and business and to enhance (expand) the Graceland Experience. Most likely a new luxury hotel as a major part of that. God knows they need a new Heartbreak Hotel.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...y-rights-sold/

arkitekte Nov 21, 2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomJ (Post 6348030)
They should try marketing. I'm trying to remember the last Redbirds' marketing campaign.

You've got that right. Most minor league teams have a dollar night on an odd week night, they should try that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6348016)

It almost feels like the City is getting the shaft in this deal; anyways as far as previous sports venue deals/ Beale Street Landing/ etc., I have no faith that this will be done right. They've already screwed it up by proposing to remove seating and trying to put in a restaurant or w/e that is in the club seating. Leave the gimmicky stuff out and run a stadium with various promotions throughout the season.

People don't go to a minor league ball game to cheer balls to the wall for the home team (at least most folks don't), they go for the atmosphere, to drink a beer, and socialize (most people do that at MLB games, or really any sporting event). Adding a restaurant isn't going to improve a game atmosphere, and removing seating sure won't promote that atmosphere by making it feel more minor league.

If they do remove those seats, Imma say somethin. :haha:

Wayward Memphian Nov 22, 2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6348413)
You've got that right. Most minor league teams have a dollar night on an odd week night, they should try that.

It almost feels like the City is getting the shaft in this deal; anyways as far as previous sports venue deals/ Beale Street Landing/ etc., I have no faith that this will be done right. They've already screwed it up by proposing to remove seating and trying to put in a restaurant or w/e that is in the club seating. Leave the gimmicky stuff out and run a stadium with various promotions throughout the season.

People don't go to a minor league ball game to cheer balls to the wall for the home team (at least most folks don't), they go for the atmosphere, to drink a beer, and socialize (most people do that at MLB games, or really any sporting event). Adding a restaurant isn't going to improve a game atmosphere, and removing seating sure won't promote that atmosphere by making it feel more minor league.

If they do remove those seats, Imma say somethin. :haha:

That stadium is gigantic for AAA ball at 14,000 and change. Just is. I remember when Omaha was talking about replacing Rosenblatt. The Triple A Royals club wanted no part of it. They already had too many seats at Rosenblatt, They wanted a smaller park and they got a new one at around 10,000 while the new CWS stadium holds 25,000 plus that can be expanded to 35,000

I'm still hacked that the SEC keeps the tourney at Hoover, too many nice ballparks in the South at better locals. They are catering to just a couple of fans bases and that's wrong headed. Autozone would be a great place in a rotation for the SEC

I'm shocked that Atlanta hasn't approached them about soon to be vacant Turner Field.

arkitekte Nov 22, 2013 1:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian (Post 6348519)
That stadium is gigantic for AAA ball at 14,000 and change. Just is. I remember when Omaha was talking about replacing Rosenblatt. The Triple A Royals club wanted no part of it. They already had too many seats at Rosenblatt, They wanted a smaller park and they got a new one at around 10,000 while the new CWS stadium holds 25,000 plus that can be expanded to 35,000

I'm still hacked that the SEC keeps the tourney at Hoover, too many nice ballparks in the South at better locals. They are catering to just a couple of fans bases and that's wrong headed. Autozone would be a great place in a rotation for the SEC

I'm shocked that Atlanta hasn't approached them about soon to be vacant Turner Field.

I hear you on that, but following up what you mentioned about the SEC tournament, I'm afraid that if the SEC ever wants to look at Memphis again with Autozone having a smaller capacity they might not consider bringing the baseball tournament here. I just tend to feel that the removal of seats will take away from the atmosphere, those seats seem to somewhat close the field in making you feel more like you're in a baseball atmosphere and locked in, even if there aren't many people there...maybe that kinda clears up what I meant.

Wayward Memphian Nov 22, 2013 2:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6348637)
I hear you on that, but following up what you mentioned about the SEC tournament, I'm afraid that if the SEC ever wants to look at Memphis again with Autozone having a smaller capacity they might not consider bringing the baseball tournament here. I just tend to feel that the removal of seats will take away from the atmosphere, those seats seem to somewhat close the field in making you feel more like you're in a baseball atmosphere and locked in, even if there aren't many people there...maybe that kinda clears up what I meant.

Hoover Metropolitan holds between 10,000 and 11,000. Removing those seats would still be around or higher than that for fixed seats. Remember berm seating is a popular option in minor league ball and that berm could still be seating. The beauty of Baum Stadium is the Hog Pen out it left.

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/wp-...0519232033.jpg

Huntsvillenative Nov 22, 2013 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian (Post 6348519)

Sadly, Turner Field is planned to be demolished once the Braves leave for the nearby new stadium.