SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

casper Dec 10, 2016 2:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo (Post 7646915)
I'm curious why AC moved away from the strategy of serving those smaller centres? Unfortunately it seems like AC is definitely not going to pick up the mantle from United in providing YXE and Regina with better cross-border options :(.

I don't know what the strategy is or was. The few times I have gone to Rochester or Syracuse from Toronto it has been on a 19 seated that might have 5 people on it. If I was starting in Toronto I would have driven down (vr.s flying and picking up a rental car). When I have done it has been on these it has been a connector from Saskatoon or somewhere else.

On the topic of YXE. Air Canada wants to connect with its major hubs, Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, even Edmonton or Winnipeg. They make the most money that way.

United and Delta wanted to do the same by connecting into Denver or MSP.

The only way I would see Air Canada or WestJet wanting to fly from YXE to the US is if there is sufficient demand to that destination to fill the aircraft. That only really happens for Las Vegas and Phoenix. WestJet has that covered.

Zmonkey Dec 10, 2016 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cage (Post 7646929)
The biggest problem with activating the infield terminal is airline reluctance to be stationed there. Further there is a technical problem with the GTAA contracts with all the incumbent airlines. Specifically, GTAA cannot offer a discount to airlines for their agreement to be repositioned to the infield terminal. Fees are set for the whole airport and are not dependent on location. Further, if a discount is offered to one airline, it must be offered to all airlines (or atleast both AC and WS).

I suspect that one or both of Air Transat and Sunwing would move to the infield terminal if the price was right. However either or both of AC and WS would claim contractual rights to have the discount also apply to them.

AC is quite happy to have T3 filled up by TS and Sunwing just to make life harder for WS. WS feels the same about AC and T1 and the possibility of moving other Star airlines over to IFT.

Air canada has had a one fee model at Pearson for a few years now, they pay the same regardless of how much they use/fly. West jet recently went to a very similar model (it may not even be implemented yet), but since they now will be on a one fee model it had no bearing on air canada.

Pearson can offer (and does) offer variety of incentives especially to new carriers to build volume, they could do the same for infield if they chose to.

I used to work there (left 4 years ago) and almost all Asian carriers had some sort of incentive, that were different from the European carriers for example.

G.S MTL Dec 10, 2016 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 7647097)
I'm surprised that the Central Americans (LACSA/TACA/Avianca, or whatever they are called now) don't service Montreal. They did at one time, no?

TACA did ...not sure about avianca

SaskScraper Dec 10, 2016 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 7647198)
I don't know what the strategy is or was. The few times I have gone to Rochester or Syracuse from Toronto it has been on a 19 seated that might have 5 people on it. If I was starting in Toronto I would have driven down (vr.s flying and picking up a rental car). When I have done it has been on these it has been a connector from Saskatoon or somewhere else.

On the topic of YXE. Air Canada wants to connect with its major hubs, Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, even Edmonton or Winnipeg. They make the most money that way.

United and Delta wanted to do the same by connecting into Denver or MSP.

The only way I would see Air Canada or WestJet wanting to fly from YXE to the US is if there is sufficient demand to that destination to fill the aircraft. That only really happens for Las Vegas and Phoenix. WestJet has that covered.

Westjet has enough connections between Calgary/Edmonton to Saskatoon that even the Vegas & PHX flights non-stop from Saskatoon has Alberta connecting passengers, I'd imagine Regina's non-stop to Orlando would have Alberta connecting passengers as well..

The model of Canada's airlines of having only a few routes from Saskatchewan to only a few other Canadian hubs is that even though Saskatchewan has non-stop flights to Nevada, Arizona, Florida and Minnesota, Mexico, Caribbean etc, there are Saskatchewan flights to only 4 other Canadian provinces, no non-stop flights to places like Quebec or Atlantic Canada. Of course, Saskatchewan air passengers are primarily only interested in going south to US, Mexico or Caribbean and not east. It's interesting to think that 40 years ago Saskatchewan had non-stop flights from Saskatchewan to London on 747s, but hub and spoke model these days doesn't allow that anymore.

casper Dec 11, 2016 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaskScraper (Post 7647703)
Westjet has enough connections between Calgary/Edmonton to Saskatoon that even the Vegas & PHX flights non-stop from Saskatoon has Alberta connecting passengers, I'd imagine Regina's non-stop to Orlando would have Alberta connecting passengers as well..

The model of Canada's airlines of having only a few routes from Saskatchewan to only a few other Canadian hubs is that even though Saskatchewan has non-stop flights to Nevada, Arizona, Florida and Minnesota, Mexico, Caribbean etc, there are Saskatchewan flights to only 4 other Canadian provinces, no non-stop flights to places like Quebec or Atlantic Canada. Of course, Saskatchewan air passengers are primarily only interested in going south to US, Mexico or Caribbean and not east. It's interesting to think that 40 years ago Saskatchewan had non-stop flights from Saskatchewan to London on 747s, but hub and spoke model these days doesn't allow that anymore.

There is more business ties between Saskatchewan and Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and BC that into the US. The Las Vegas and the sun destination flying is mostly vacationers.

Way back when Wardair operated the 747 to London it was only once a week as a charter. Those types of flights are long gone the world over. The current setup just provide quite a bit more flexibility.

G.S MTL Dec 12, 2016 4:51 PM

Air Algérie increase YUL
10 weekly Up from 8.... so summer 2017 There will be 14 weekly flights to Algiers including 4 weekly with Air Canada Rouge.

LeftCoaster Dec 12, 2016 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S MTL (Post 7648891)
Air Algérie increase YUL
10 weekly Up from 8.... so summer 2017 There will be 14 weekly flights to Algiers including 4 weekly with Air Canada Rouge.

Weird, I've been showing 10 all along in my spreadsheet.

Am I clairvoyant or did they run 10xPW in summers past?

thenoflyzone Dec 12, 2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7649287)

airlineroute says they were 8x weekly during peak summer season last year.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...ansion-in-s17/

Some other changes.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-11dec16/

CZ changing equipment on CAN-YVR from 77W to 788 as of March 26.
They are also increasing CAN-YYZ to 5x weekly between June 24 and October 28.

So were these the 2 unused frequencies we were talking about ? I thought those belonged to HU?

LeftCoaster Dec 12, 2016 10:31 PM

CZs moves are quite odd so far.

First off, this isn't the first time they've randomly indicated they are moving YVR to all dreamliner again, only to reverse their decision and stick with all 777. This is made weirder still by the lack of frequency expansions, which should be making chinese airlines upgauge, not down. My bet is they reverse this decision once they formally announce CAN-YVR-MEX. Likely CAN-YVR-MEX goes 777 and the remaining YVR terminus service stays 787.

Secondly, to your point, where are the two frequencies coming from? Perhaps they bought the right to use them off HU, kind of like LHR slots? Is that possible?

This reminds me, what in the world is AC doing with its now unused LHR slot. They surely wont just let it go unused.

G.S MTL Dec 13, 2016 12:26 AM

Yeah air Algérie last summer was 10 weekly but not every week ...but I think Officially 10 weekly ...and what spreadsheet? Lol

G.S MTL Dec 13, 2016 4:57 AM

Taken in September

YUL

https://s29.postimg.org/9fylt45if/IMG_2541.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/BKbBz0yBxsH/

G.S MTL Dec 13, 2016 5:07 AM

cool video from a plane! #montreal
https://instagram.com/p/BNqW-SRB0m1/

zahav Dec 13, 2016 7:07 AM

More good news for Montreal!

Air Algerie has filed schedule proposal for Oran – Montreal service, a new seasonal route to be served from 21JUN17 to 16SEP17. Preliminary schedule listing shows this route, the first scheduled North American service from Oran, would be served twice a week by Airbus A330 aircraft.

Reservation for this service is currently not available.

AH2710 ORN0715 – 1045YUL 330 36
AH2711 YUL1245 – 0115+1ORN 330 36

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...ervice-in-s17/

Bourkky Dec 13, 2016 7:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7649287)

Air Algérie was 8 weekly last summer and went up to 9 weekly for about 5 or 6 weeks in August and September. It was never 10 weekly.

wave46 Dec 13, 2016 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7649356)
CZs moves are quite odd so far.

This reminds me, what in the world is AC doing with its now unused LHR slot. They surely wont just let it go unused.

Maybe they'll lease it to another airline? Can they do that? Landing slots at LHR are a hot commodity.

G.S MTL Dec 13, 2016 4:12 PM

Great news for YUL for sure !!!

SFUVancouver Dec 13, 2016 10:14 PM

I flew out of YOW last night. I haven't been through there in years and was happily surprised.

Looks good. Convenient layout. Very helpful AC check-in staff. Security line moved quickly. Only issue was the WiFi not working in the AC lounge.

LeftCoaster Dec 13, 2016 11:29 PM

Posted this in the Vancouver section but thought given Pearson's high rank it would be of interest here too:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7650560)
So a while ago I took a look at the top intl' airports in the US on wikipedia chart, and added in Canada.

I figured with all this growth it'd be interesting to see where YVR has gotten to on the list now:
http://i.imgur.com/JYBF4O1.png

Some impressive growth is yielding big results. YVR has leapfrogged Houston from 10th to 9th on the list and Atlanta and Chicago are well within striking distance.

These types of lists totally benefit Canadian airports because US airports don't separate out trans-border, but its still pretty damn impressive.

hipster duck Dec 14, 2016 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S MTL (Post 7649703)

Nice pic! The YUL terminal looks a bit like YVR from above. If they had to expand further, what would they do next? Tack on a similar jetty to the Transborder area?

G.S MTL Dec 14, 2016 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7650567)
Posted this in the Vancouver section but thought given Pearson's high rank it would be of interest here too:

WHeres yul ? Are those international numbers ??