SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

hipster duck Aug 10, 2016 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7526935)
Yes this is just international only. Canadian airports are much MUCH smaller than US airports when domestic is factored in. Pearson is the second largest international gateway, however its 42 million total PAX doesn't even come close to Atlanta's 101 million. YYZ wouldn't crack the top 10 in the US, let alone YVR. YYC or YUL for example would be around the 30th largest airport in the US.

It's crazy how domestically-focused US airports are.

Case in point: PHX: 45 million passengers, a US Airways (now AA) hub, and the only non-US, Canada or Mexico flight is a daily British Airways flight to London.

Then again, only 1/3 of Americans have a passport.

LeftCoaster Aug 10, 2016 8:00 PM

^ Yeah their domestic market is just nuts. On one had I get it, their country is immense and there is little need to travel outside for business purposes, climate reasons etc... on the other hand the world is way too cool not not explore it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7526801)
2. How much Canadians like to travel abroad, especially Quebecers. That number alongside YUL is 2/3 the total passenger count. The highest ratio on that list.

I suppose that's one way to look at it. I think the more telling stat is that YVR serves half the population that YUL does (ie BC Vs. QC) and has more international PAX.

Either way Canadian airports really do have exemplary intl. service, and will likely only continue to grow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by halifaxboyns (Post 7526967)
I wasn't aware his stats were only international passengers.

So you thought YYC was the 5th busiest airport in North America in total numbers? What?!

twoNeurons Aug 10, 2016 9:36 PM

I'm sure if you took North American Travel (CAN/MEX/USA) out of the equation, those numbers would change dramatically. Canada/USA is essentially one land-mass and so we, in a sense, share the same attractions. Canada has a MUCH smaller habitable footprint than the USA ( frozen tundra doesn't count), so it makes sense that the land south of the 49th parallel, with a greater 'usable/habitable' land-mass would make up a lot of the destinations for both Canadians and Americans. It happens to be part of the USA, so more Canadians travel internationally.

It's like saying there are more Danish travelers than French. While it's probably true, it's because Denmark is much smaller than France, so travel is more necessary.

I'd love to see an intercontinental travel chart by airport. To me, that's more useful.

Using those numbers, if you average it out:

Canadians make 1.26 international trips per person / year ( from 3 airports )
Americans make 0.42 international trips per person / year ( from 9 airports )

How many of those 1.26 international trips are to the USA, though?

YYZs numbers seem impressive, until you realize that it's serving an area that US Airports essentially split between 4 airports. JFK, EWR, ATL, ORD. In addition, a LOT of Canadian traffic is routed through that one airport, rather than the 5 or 6 airports along the Eastern United States.

You could say YUL is to French/France as MIA or IAH is to Spanish/Latin America... with YVR the Canadian SFO/LAX duopoly.

Johnny Aussie Aug 10, 2016 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoNeurons (Post 7527150)
I'm sure if you took North American Travel (CAN/MEX/USA) out of the equation, those numbers would change dramatically.

I'd love to see an intercontinental travel chart by airport. To me, that's more useful.

YYZs numbers seem impressive, until you realize that it's serving an area that US Airports essentially split between 4 airports. JFK, EWR, ATL, ORD. In addition, a LOT of Canadian traffic is routed through that one airport, rather than the 5 or 6 airports along the Eastern United States.

To take out North American travel you would also have to take out the Caribbean numbers too which would be huge at YUL and YYZ compared to YVR.

For intercontinental travel I would bet YVR has actually overtaken YUL if not last year, this year for sure.

As for YYZ numbers... I disagree, the numbers are impressive regardless of the comparisons.

hipster duck Aug 10, 2016 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoNeurons (Post 7527150)
YYZs numbers seem impressive, until you realize that it's serving an area that US Airports essentially split between 4 airports. JFK, EWR, ATL, ORD.

I'm not sure I follow. Even if the catchment area of YYZ's international service is half of Canada through connecting flights, that's still a smaller population than the NYC metro.

Alexcaban Aug 11, 2016 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7527156)
For intercontinental travel I would bet YVR has actually overtaken YUL if not last year, this year for sure.

YUL still pulls ahead of YVR for intercontinental (meaning non US destinations) travel by over 1 million pax.

YUL 2014: 5,933,290
YVR 2014: 4,878,291

Johnny Aussie Aug 11, 2016 5:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexcaban (Post 7527427)
YUL still pulls ahead of YVR for intercontinental (meaning non US destinations) travel by over 1 million pax.

YUL 2014: 5,933,290
YVR 2014: 4,878,291

I disagree. Traffic to the Caribbean and Mexico need to be removed.

Intercontinental implies outside of North America.

You take out YUL's enormous Caribbean traffic and I bet YVR would be ahead. Certainly this year if not last year.

The problem is YUL (actually every other airport in Canada) doesn't breakdown international into subcategories so the true numbers no one can be sure.

cyeg66 Aug 11, 2016 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7527502)
I disagree.

FWIW, I agree with your disagreement.

Alexcaban Aug 11, 2016 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7527502)
I disagree. Traffic to the Caribbean and Mexico need to be removed.

Intercontinental implies outside of North America.

You take out YUL's enormous Caribbean traffic and I bet YVR would be ahead. Certainly this year if not last year.

The problem is YUL (actually every other airport in Canada) doesn't breakdown international into subcategories so the true numbers no one can be sure.

However the case, we still can't prove that. It's your own opinion. YUL - CDG alone accounts for 1.1 million passengers, that's almost as much as YVR to Europe.

SignalHillHiker Aug 11, 2016 4:23 PM

:( Sigh.

http://i.imgur.com/LIE1xhc.jpg

MonctonRad Aug 11, 2016 11:27 PM

The Greater Moncton International Airport is going to get a new name.

It will be named in honour of the late Romeo LeBlanc, former federal fisheries minister, ex governor general of Canada and former political godfather of the Liberal Party in NB. He was also the father of Dominic LeBlanc, current federal Liberal house leader, current minister of fisheries in the federal cabinet and effectively Justin Trudeau's closest confident and de facto his second in command. Given the political significance of the LeBlanc family to the liberal brand in Canada and in NB, I was expecting this renaming of the airport to happen sometime during Trudeau's first term in office.

The new name will be the Aeroport Internationale du Grand Moncton Romeo LeBlanc Greater Moncton International Airport. :D

Quite a mouthful isn't it. I'm still going to call it the GMIA - it's so much simpler........

GreaterMontréal Aug 11, 2016 11:38 PM

The REM will connect to YUL via a tunnel that will pass under the tarmac.

Johnny Aussie Aug 12, 2016 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexcaban (Post 7527821)
However the case, we still can't prove that. It's your own opinion. YUL - CDG alone accounts for 1.1 million passengers, that's almost as much as YVR to Europe.

Yes, you are right it is my opinion.

However, just was stating that intercontinental is not just non-USA traffic.

You are correct that the gap for non-US international between YUL and YVR was 1,055,000 in 2015.

However, YTD 2016, that gap is less than 390,000 for the first 6 months of 2016 and shrinking very rapidly.

However, once winter kicks back in and a lot of the Quebec snowbirds flee to the Caribbean, that may change.

TTL International (including transborder) YTD... YVR is widening the gap with YUL and is already larger than the whole difference of 2015.

thenoflyzone Aug 12, 2016 1:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7527156)

For intercontinental travel I would bet YVR has actually overtaken YUL if not last year, this year for sure.

Most likely. YUL-CUN alone pulled in 390,000 passengers last year. Add in VRA, CCC, PUJ and POP, and I'm sure the number goes above 1 million in total. And there are still 15-20 other destinations in the Caribbean with service from YUL that we aren't counting.

However, all of this is trivial, as no one besides YVR breaks down their international numbers this way. The main reason being that it doesn't matter. An international flight is an international flight. Whether you are flying YUL-CUN or YUL-PEK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyeg66 (Post 7527656)
FWIW, I agree with your disagreement.

I guess with what I just said, it implies that I agree with your agreement of his disagreement.

Johnny Aussie Aug 12, 2016 1:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7528562)
However, all of this is trivial, as no one besides YVR breaks down their international numbers this way. The main reason being that it doesn't matter. An international flight is an international flight. Whether you are flying YUL-CUN or YUL-PEK.

And I completely agree as an international flight is an international flight whether you are flying YVR-CDG, YVR-MEX or YVR-SEA.

ghYHZ Aug 12, 2016 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7528458)
The new name will be the Aeroport Internationale du Grand Moncton Romeo LeBlanc Greater Moncton International Airport. :D

Quite a mouthful isn't it. I'm still going to call it the GMIA - it's so much simpler........

I think I’s just as simple to say LeBlanc…as I would Pearson or Trudreau:)

A nice honour for a fine New Brunswicker and Acadian!

MonctonRad Aug 12, 2016 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghYHZ (Post 7528841)
I think I’s just as simple to say LeBlanc…as I would Pearson or Trudreau:)

A nice honour for a fine New Brunswicker and Acadian!

True, but it wouldn't be as meaningful in Moncton to say that you're driving out to "LeBlanc" as it would be in TO when you say that you're driving to Pearson.

With about 20 pages in the phone book devoted to LeBlanc's, if you said you were taking a drive to LeBlanc, the natural response would be "Which one?" :haha:

esquire Aug 12, 2016 3:09 PM

^ For cities that have only one airport with scheduled service, it's probably sufficient to just say you're going to "the airport"... no need to be any more specific than that.

ghYHZ Aug 12, 2016 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7528896)
True, but it wouldn't be as meaningful in Moncton to say that you're driving out to "LeBlanc" as it would be in TO when you say that you're driving to Pearson.

LeBlanc not meaningful in Moncton?

Just start using LeBlanc and people will catch on :)

I’m sure Pearson was called ‘Malton’ for a number of years after it was renamed but I never hear that now.

And the ame here at YHZ…..Stanfield is being used more and more.

CalgaryCheese Aug 12, 2016 4:02 PM

As long as YYC doesn't get called "Stephen Harper Airport"!


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.