SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

LAsam Jun 18, 2021 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemonkee (Post 9313023)
That's a great looking park! Is that a public or private pool?

Looks like it belongs to the adjacent apartments/condos?

dl3000 Jun 21, 2021 6:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 9315103)
I hate this state's red tape sometimes.

Sports Arena Project needs to start over:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...rts-arena-deal

Regardless of your opinion of the regs coming down from Sacramento these days, somebody at city admin didn't keep their eye on the ball when they pushed forward the Sports Arena ballot initiative. Total flub to add to the list.

Streamliner Jun 23, 2021 4:05 PM

Little Italy’s next big office building will be across the street from its newest one
Los Angeles-based Kilroy is in escrow to buy 2045 Pacific Highway where it plans to build another marquee office project
San Diego Union-Tribune
Jennifer Van Grove
June 22, 2021

Quote:

Doubling down on downtown San Diego, Kilroy Realty will pick up its second full-city block in Little Italy, paying $42 million to buy 2045 Pacific Highway where it plans to erect another office building across from its first full-block project in the neighborhood, 2100 Kettner.

The publicly traded real estate investment trust announced last week that it is in escrow on the site, which is just a surface parking lot away from San Diego Bay. The developer plans to convert the 1.3-acre lot, currently home to a Mobil gas station, into another marquee offering, this time building 275,000 square feet of tech-friendly office space in a five- or six-story tower with panoramic views.

The yet-to-be-named project is still in its infancy, meaning Kilroy must obtain permits and is likely still a few years away from breaking ground.
Quote:

Locally, Kilroy is putting the finishing touches on 2100 Kettner, Little Italy’s largest office building to date and the firm’s first downtown. The six-story building has ground-floor retail spaces, a public courtyard, multiple terraces and a large rooftop deck — but so far, no tenants.

Kilroy is looking to build something similar across the street at 2045 Pacific Highway, Dowley said. That means the future office building will feature expansive and open floors geared around tech and media companies whose employees usually prefer to work in a collaborative fashion.

Northparkwizard Jun 23, 2021 4:41 PM

That carwash was the canary in the coal mine for development west of the train tracks near Little Italy. I wonder how long Solar Turbines will remain knowing how much they can make on a real estate deal.

All good news as far as I see it.

Streamliner Jun 23, 2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 9320034)
That carwash was the canary in the coal mine for development west of the train tracks near Little Italy. I wonder how long Solar Turbines will remain knowing how much they can make on a real estate deal.

All good news as far as I see it.

Yeah I always wondered how that car wash lasted so long on such prime land. Speaking of Solar Turbines, it's also crazy how they're still humming along at that prime location. Then again, the entire west-facing waterfront has been absolutely dismal up until 2014 when they finally added Waterfront Park.

From north to south starting at the airport, each parcel along the waterfront has been underutilized:

-Solar Turbines
-Solar Turbines' Parking Lot(!)
-Waterfront Park (former parking lots)
-Wyndham (old and kind of run down looking IMO)
- Navy's NAVFAC facilities (I know they're not trailers, but they look like glorified trailers)
- Lane Field (former parking lot)
- Pacific Gateway (former parking lot and scattered fire hazard-looking buildings!)

roletand Jun 26, 2021 4:33 PM

Kilroy sounds like they're on a roll! I passed by the Salvation Army site bounded by Park, Broadway, 13th, & E and noticed it was all boarded up and fenced off. Hopefully construction starts soon.

City to sell East Village site for $8.5M; developer planning office campus - San Diego Union-Tribune


Kilroy East Village - Developer Site

mello Jun 27, 2021 8:31 PM

Had totally forgot about this Kilroy EV project
 
If things are boarded up looks like it is ready to roll. Kilroy has deep pockets and looks like they are bullish on SD. Love this project of course wish it was taller but it's impact on the urban fabric of DT will be solid.

Anyone know why East Village Green Park hasn't started construction yet. That part of town looks horrendous and we have been waiting on that park and it's amenities for years now....

SamFlood Jun 27, 2021 9:39 PM

Also what happened to "Makers Quarter"? That was supposed to be a tech hub. Now all these other buildings around town like Horton plaza and the Manchester site are moving faster. That IDEA district never got off the ground. Hipsters are getting aged out now.

Will O' Wisp Jun 30, 2021 4:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 9320034)
That carwash was the canary in the coal mine for development west of the train tracks near Little Italy. I wonder how long Solar Turbines will remain knowing how much they can make on a real estate deal.

All good news as far as I see it.

Solar Turbines has said in no uncertain terms they will *never* sell their Harbor Dr location. Because the site has had a continuous manufacturing operation since the 1920s, it's been grandfathered into just about every environmental law there is. Not only would it be impossible to get some of the industrial processes that take place there today approved on a new site anywhere in California, a few would be difficult to get approved anywhere in the USA without economically unfeasible remediation measures. Not to mention, whoever bought it would have to spend tons of $$$ remediating a century's worth of industrial pollution.

And then the noise is so loud the land would only be worth a fraction of its normal value for residential or commercial uses. It's honestly way more valuable as industrial use land.

Incidentally, the Port owns the waterfront parking lot across Hawthorn St. Solar Turbines just leases it. Last I heard they were planning on building a multistory parking structure on it to replace all the parking that would be lost redoing the embarcadero to be more pedestrian friendly, along with some sort of "mobility hub".

Northparkwizard Jul 1, 2021 5:56 AM

If what you said is true, Solar Turbines should be shut down for industrial pollution right now or at least they should be held accountable for their past and ongoing pollution.

Poisoning the bay isn't a right. I'm guessing that it would be a Superfund site if tested.

Bummer.

mello Jul 1, 2021 8:07 PM

Does anyone have any info as to what happened to Makers Quarter and Idea District. Did IQHQ, Horton Plaza Redo, and Kilroy Project simply steal their thunder and they feel all demand for space downtown will be provided by those structures? Oh and also the Petco Parking lot project.

roletand Jul 1, 2021 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 9328657)
Does anyone have any info as to what happened to Makers Quarter and Idea District. Did IQHQ, Horton Plaza Redo, and Kilroy Project simply steal their thunder and they feel all demand for space downtown will be provided by those structures? Oh and also the Petco Parking lot project.

If you're asking about the Tailgate Lot project, East Village Quarter, the Padres/Tishman Speyer said the timeline depends on entitlements. If things go smoothly, they expected to break ground somewhere around 2025 with full build out finishing between 2030-2035.

Will O' Wisp Jul 2, 2021 6:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 9328192)
If what you said is true, Solar Turbines should be shut down for industrial pollution right now or at least they should be held accountable for their past and ongoing pollution.

Poisoning the bay isn't a right. I'm guessing that it would be a Superfund site if tested.

Bummer.

ST is actually pretty good about stormwater/groundwater contamination, it's the air pollution that's the problem. Something about the fabrication leaking trace amounts of metals into the atmosphere, I'm not totally sure.

I'll give my opinion as someone who's worked and lived close to the ST site for several years now, the issue is a bit overblown. If you live in the area for a long time and experience respiratory issues, the cause is almost certainly air pollution from cars on the 5.

ST probably wouldn't be a superfund site if it closed. The old Ryan and Convair factories next door weren't, even though it cost tens of millions of $$$ to remediate them for the Rental Car Center and the Terminal 1 expansion. So no free $$$ from the feds is likely.

But just for you, I searched through my files after a half remembered item and managed to find something. The last time ST's lease was up for renewal from the port, in 1988, they apparently offered to move their entire operation to Kerny Mesa if someone would pay them $250 million. That'd be a bit over $550 million in today's money. I'm guessing they were thinking about buying up the old General Dynamics plant, which was located next to their Kerny Mesa site. Looks like they didn't find any takers, and the Port ended up giving them a 45 year lease. Should be up sometime in the 2040s. In the meantime, the old GD plant was redeveloped into housing so that option is out.

Northparkwizard Jul 2, 2021 4:01 PM

That's some good info. Thanks!

Streamliner Jul 2, 2021 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 9329171)
But just for you, I searched through my files after a half remembered item and managed to find something. The last time ST's lease was up for renewal from the port, in 1988, they apparently offered to move their entire operation to Kerny Mesa if someone would pay them $250 million. That'd be a bit over $550 million in today's money. I'm guessing they were thinking about buying up the old General Dynamics plant, which was located next to their Kerny Mesa site. Looks like they didn't find any takers, and the Port ended up giving them a 45 year lease. Should be up sometime in the 2040s. In the meantime, the old GD plant was redeveloped into housing so that option is out.

Quick follow-up, so if ST renewed their lease with the Port in 1988 is this the same lease arrangement they have with the parking lot next to Waterfront Park? Because it sounded like that lot was close to development to a parking garage (not a fan btw), which makes it sound like two agreements?

Will O' Wisp Jul 3, 2021 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 9329482)
Quick follow-up, so if ST renewed their lease with the Port in 1988 is this the same lease arrangement they have with the parking lot next to Waterfront Park? Because it sounded like that lot was close to development to a parking garage (not a fan btw), which makes it sound like two agreements?

That's getting into some inside baseball. You'd have to ask the Port. All I know is that the draft South Embardero project said it would be used to replace the parking on the waterfront, and the current draft Port Master Plan says it will be a "regional mobility hub".

Oh, and yesterday the Airport Authority board awarded contracts for construction of the new Admin building. Should start construction within a few weeks.

https://i.imgur.com/spo1gmx.png

With how crazy the materials market has been the last few months, estimates for T1 itself came back completely out of wack. That's put back final budgetary approvals back till September. It won't effect the construction timeline, the next few months of demo work have already been approved.

https://i.imgur.com/ImV7VYz.png

https://i.imgur.com/4GOanmM.png

And with that, my friends, the entire regulatory process of this multi-billion dollar project will be finished :notacrook:

roletand Jul 3, 2021 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 9330009)
That's getting into some inside baseball. You'd have to ask the Port. All I know is that the draft South Embardero project said it would be used to replace the parking on the waterfront, and the current draft Port Master Plan says it will be a "regional mobility hub".

Oh, and yesterday the Airport Authority board awarded contracts for construction of the new Admin building. Should start construction within a few weeks.

https://i.imgur.com/spo1gmx.png

With how crazy the materials market has been the last few months, estimates for T1 itself came back completely out of wack. That's put back final budgetary approvals back till September. It won't effect the construction timeline, the next few months of demo work have already been approved.

https://i.imgur.com/ImV7VYz.png

https://i.imgur.com/4GOanmM.png

And with that, my friends, the entire regulatory process of this multi-billion dollar project will be finished :notacrook:

That's great news! T1 has exceeded it's useful life and I'm always glad to see investment that doubles down on the airport's current location. I didn't realize, until you posted about the admin building, that the commuter terminal needs to be demolished as part of the new T1 plans. I'll be sad to see it go but at least it's for a good reason.

Also, while it's good to see the airport authority continue to include a "Coordination with Community Transit", I can't help but think their design is an afterthought. If we want people to use public transit in San Diego it needs to be easy & accessible, among other things. The plans should have considered trolley & APM stops at both T1 & T2 close to the main exits of the terminals. If we're going to hit people in the face with prominent taxi stands and rideshares on arrival, the trolley & APM should be there too. I understand there are constraints in doing it this way that may have delayed T1, including coordination with SANDAG & MTS, but I would have liked to see all parties do better than this.

Will O' Wisp Jul 4, 2021 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roletand (Post 9330218)
That's great news! T1 has exceeded it's useful life and I'm always glad to see investment that doubles down on the airport's current location. I didn't realize, until you posted about the admin building, that the commuter terminal needs to be demolished as part of the new T1 plans. I'll be sad to see it go but at least it's for a good reason.

Also, while it's good to see the airport authority continue to include a "Coordination with Community Transit", I can't help but think their design is an afterthought. If we want people to use public transit in San Diego it needs to be easy & accessible, among other things. The plans should have considered trolley & APM stops at both T1 & T2 close to the main exits of the terminals. If we're going to hit people in the face with prominent taxi stands and rideshares on arrival, the trolley & APM should be there too. I understand there are constraints in doing it this way that may have delayed T1, including coordination with SANDAG & MTS, but I would have liked to see all parties do better than this.

So, there was a good deal of debate over the decision to have a single station rather than two. Several early mock-ups were made of a two station design with stops at both T1 and T2. There ended up being two big reasons for selecting a single station in-between.

First off, the airport doesn't select the type of connection. SANDAG does. As of yet they have not downselected from their three main options: an aboveground APM running along Harbor Dr (as illustrated here), an underground APM crossing directly under the airport, and an extension of the trolley. Two stations create major problems with each of the latter. Since the proposed SD Grand Central is directly opposite the terminals, reaching each of terminals with a single underground APM would require a right angle turn too tight to be technically feasible, or an extended tunnel that wouldn't be much faster than a aboveground APM (while being exponentially more expensive). On the other hand the trolley accelerates/decelerates much more slowly than an APM, to the point that it would travel so slowly between two near spaced stations that it would legitimately be faster to walk. After discussions SANDAG stated a preference for a one station design to keep their own options open.

Second, it's not really an unusual distance to walk from the transit station to your gate. SDIA is the smallest major international airport in the country, even after T1 is built both the terminals combined will only have a linear length of about ~1 mile. So worst case scenario you need to walk ~1/2 mile. That's about how far you'd walk on a bad day if you took transit to Oakland airport, or Portland, or Sea-Tac. Internationally speaking, either of Tokyo's airports could have you walking that far, or Seoul's Inchon. Stations are typically the most expensive part of any transit system, so it pays to consolidate, and less stations means faster end-to-end times without having to cut boarding times. Not to mention trying to design ROW terminal frontage is complex enough without having to shove a transit system within the narrow ROW.

You can, of course, disagree with the decision made but I hope this shows you it was more than an afterthought.

SamFlood Jul 4, 2021 2:06 AM

What's left of the Navy building


https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...fec47491_h.jpg

roletand Jul 4, 2021 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 9330486)
So, there was a good deal of debate over the decision to have a single station rather than two. Several early mock-ups were made of a two station design with stops at both T1 and T2. There ended up being two big reasons for selecting a single station in-between.

First off, the airport doesn't select the type of connection. SANDAG does. As of yet they have not downselected from their three main options: an aboveground APM running along Harbor Dr (as illustrated here), an underground APM crossing directly under the airport, and an extension of the trolley. Two stations create major problems with each of the latter. Since the proposed SD Grand Central is directly opposite the terminals, reaching each of terminals with a single underground APM would require a right angle turn too tight to be technically feasible, or an extended tunnel that wouldn't be much faster than a aboveground APM (while being exponentially more expensive). On the other hand the trolley accelerates/decelerates much more slowly than an APM, to the point that it would travel so slowly between two near spaced stations that it would legitimately be faster to walk. After discussions SANDAG stated a preference for a one station design to keep their own options open.

Second, it's not really an unusual distance to walk from the transit station to your gate. SDIA is the smallest major international airport in the country, even after T1 is built both the terminals combined will only have a linear length of about ~1 mile. So worst case scenario you need to walk ~1/2 mile. That's about how far you'd walk on a bad day if you took transit to Oakland airport, or Portland, or Sea-Tac. Internationally speaking, either of Tokyo's airports could have you walking that far, or Seoul's Inchon. Stations are typically the most expensive part of any transit system, so it pays to consolidate, and less stations means faster end-to-end times without having to cut boarding times. Not to mention trying to design ROW terminal frontage is complex enough without having to shove a transit system within the narrow ROW.

You can, of course, disagree with the decision made but I hope this shows you it was more than an afterthought.

Based on that context, the station connection seems less like an afterthought. If this thing gets built in the proposed location, I'll still use it, don't get me wrong about that. But I'm someone who's already on-board with expanding public transportation.

If more people are to use an expanded system the goal of the operators should be to reduce the barriers of entry, even if that means building two stations within a 1/2 mile of each other at the same airport. On the green line, Santa Fe Depot to Seaport Village is .3 miles, another .3 miles to Convention Center, and another .3 miles to the Gaslamp stop.

If walking distance from the gate isn't a major factor, maybe the airport should move the ridesharing, bus, taxi, & shuttle stops to the new transit connector and leave curbside pickups to individual vehicles.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.