SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

tyleraf Jul 26, 2014 7:22 PM

Yea, I sure hope comic-con is able to stay. I'm so sick of Cory Briggs continuously trying to ruin our city, while trying to claim he is just a concerned citizen.

mello Jul 26, 2014 9:41 PM

So who really holds the power regarding "highrises" being built in Bankers Hill (15 floors come on). There are already tallish buildings there, its a bit different from Hillcrest where the two tall buildings are hospitals and the other 3 on Park Blvd are relics from the late 60's when Churches were building towers for elderly cititzens.

Can't Faulconer and Fulton say "look you are right next to downtown sorry we are going up to 15 to 20 floors in this designated area"? The parts where towers are proposed aren't even in the "neighborhoody" sections of Bankers Hill with leafy streets and old single family homes. They are right on busy 5th/6th ave. and won't be shading anyone's back yards.

Every major city has a little area right next to its downtown where there are clusters or linear rows of 15 to 20 floor residential and there are already such structures in existence here in SD just North of DT. I know Faulconer caved on OB but he needs to stand up to Bankers Hill this is ridiculous.

LosAngelesDreamin Jul 26, 2014 11:08 PM

I saw the mayor at club Rich's in Hillcrest during pride lol it was awesome dancing near him. he's fun.

SDfan Jul 27, 2014 1:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6670704)
So who really holds the power regarding "highrises" being built in Bankers Hill (15 floors come on). There are already tallish buildings there, its a bit different from Hillcrest where the two tall buildings are hospitals and the other 3 on Park Blvd are relics from the late 60's when Churches were building towers for elderly cititzens.

Can't Faulconer and Fulton say "look you are right next to downtown sorry we are going up to 15 to 20 floors in this designated area"? The parts where towers are proposed aren't even in the "neighborhoody" sections of Bankers Hill with leafy streets and old single family homes. They are right on busy 5th/6th ave. and won't be shading anyone's back yards.

Every major city has a little area right next to its downtown where there are clusters or linear rows of 15 to 20 floor residential and there are already such structures in existence here in SD just North of DT. I know Faulconer caved on OB but he needs to stand up to Bankers Hill this is ridiculous.

The Uptown community planning group, Save Our Heritage Organization, yada yada NIMBYS. These are the orgs and people who are keeping current zoning laws from being in effect. Hillcrest and Uptown actually are zoned for 15-20 story structures, but the interim height limit has been in effect since 2008 (I believe) while the community plans in the area are updated... which they are being updated to restrict heights thereafter to 5-6 stories.

Basically, current zoning laws are being paused while they are changed to reflect the smaller heights, densities and minds of the community NIMBYS who form oligarchies on planning groups.

SD is fuuuuuuuuu*ked.

SDfan Jul 27, 2014 1:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesDreamin (Post 6670762)
I saw the mayor at club Rich's in Hillcrest during pride lol it was awesome dancing near him. he's fun.

Was it Faulconer or Gloria? I have a feeling you were next to Gloria...

SDfan Jul 27, 2014 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6670172)
Mayor Faulconer has appointed a new head of civicsd. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...an-diego-head/

Lets hope they take the efficiency and effectiveness that was CCDC and implement those strategies and policies in the neighborhoods that will take the density we desperately need to start absorbing.

tyleraf Jul 27, 2014 2:45 AM

SDfan here was a letter SDurban received from the head of Uptown Planners. http://sdurban.com/?p=8913

spoonman Jul 27, 2014 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6670865)
The Uptown community planning group, Save Our Heritage Organization, yada yada NIMBYS. These are the orgs and people who are keeping current zoning laws from being in effect. Hillcrest and Uptown actually are zoned for 15-20 story structures, but the interim height limit has been in effect since 2008 (I believe) while the community plans in the area are updated... which they are being updated to restrict heights thereafter to 5-6 stories.

Basically, current zoning laws are being paused while they are changed to reflect the smaller heights, densities and minds of the community NIMBYS who form oligarchies on planning groups.

SD is fuuuuuuuuu*ked.

We could live with 120ft limits, but 60 would be painful in Banker's Hill. Would equal bad architecture and reduces incentive for developers to build there. From a design perspective alone it will be hugely important to get more than 60ft to avoid wood-framed boxes, which then the neighbors will bitch about.

Speaking of old neighborhoods, and where to put density. We need another old core neighborhood outside the downtown areas that will welcome density. Mission Valley may get more housing near transit stops, but will never have the street grid for a truly walkable street-life experience.

tyleraf Jul 27, 2014 5:19 PM

I hope that Golden Hill can lighten its limits and take on some highrises. I'd love to see density there.

tyleraf Jul 27, 2014 5:41 PM

701 B st has new lighting similar to One Columbia Center. On a side note they are now owned by the same company.

SDfan Jul 27, 2014 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6671228)
I hope that Golden Hill can lighten its limits and take on some highrises. I'd love to see density there.

I live in Golden Hill, I can tell you it's not happening.

The local community here is almost as anti-development as OB. "Historic Preservation" pretty much counts anything that looks old, and the height limit (30') is strictly enforced. The new community plan is also down zoning most of the area as well. GH won't become a mid-rise mecca, let alone allow high-rises. Expect spotty infill development by pragmatic developers at most (think "You Are Here" or anything by Segal).

Also, the same new restrictions that were recently put on Little Italy by the FAA are also in effect here. While Little Italy resisted the move, neighborhoods like Golden Hill and Mission Hills welcomed them with open arms as another layer of red tape and regulation keeping their neighborhoods from adding more density.

spoonman Jul 28, 2014 12:43 AM

As SDFan said, Golden Hill is a non-starter mostly due to the airport as well as NIMBY's. Golden Hill is directly under a flight path, so you probably couldn't build more than 6 floors even if the city allowed it.

It might be easier to get development going in "blighted" areas if the Civic SD still has any ability to assist developers with breaks.

SDCAL Jul 28, 2014 7:37 AM

Cory Briggs is an absolute parasite, a lawyer who has sole interest in himself and not the environment.

As someone who considers themselves an environmentalist, I can say Mr. Briggs exploits environmentalism in an effort to line his own pockets.

This hack was the first person out to capitalize on the Filner scandal, and his environmental concerns have less to do with science and more to do with aligning with key neighborhood groups who don't want to lose their views and hot button issues for which he can get money and publicity.

If he ruins comic con, his name will be mud in this town.

SDCAL Jul 28, 2014 7:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6670866)
Was it Faulconer or Gloria? I have a feeling you were next to Gloria...

If it was Faulconer then I give him lots of credit for reaching out to the gay community.

tyleraf Jul 29, 2014 12:56 AM

Horton Plaza Park was given the green light today and will start construction again in September with expected completion a year later. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...-budget-state/

spoonman Jul 29, 2014 5:38 AM

Sounds like good news for development in SE SD.

http://timesofsandiego.com/politics/...outheast-city/

nezbn22 Jul 29, 2014 9:11 PM

This is so frustrating:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...hester-appeal/

spoonman Jul 29, 2014 9:29 PM

^ I hope Manchester and the judges put Briggs and the Coastal Commission in their places. These guys are obstructionists and will do anything to hold the city back. I don't get everyone's hard-on for useless open space. Nobody goes to that area because there is nothing to see or do. People will want to go there once there are buildings, offices, hotels, retail, etc. Not the way it is now.

tyleraf Jul 29, 2014 10:35 PM

I was just about to post about this. It's so frustrating that people continue to try to preserve the blight on our waterfront and line their pockets instead of letting this development just happen. Hopefully one day something will happen on this site.

SDfan Jul 30, 2014 6:01 AM

Don't worry. Manchester has the time, money, and determination to overcome these obstructionists. They're trying to drag this out hoping he'll quit... but they're going to lose in the long run.