SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Arrakis May 17, 2013 7:19 PM

Well Harvey's Restaurant must be happy. Drove by there today to attempt to get a burger there but people were still lined up outside the door. They must be open for almost a month now and still line-ups out the door. Go figure.

Townie709 May 17, 2013 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6132360)
Well Harvey's Restaurant must be happy. Drove by there today to attempt to get a burger there but people were still lined up outside the door. They must be open for almost a month now and still line-ups out the door. Go figure.

Maybe they just have extremely slow staff :haha:

Arrakis May 17, 2013 7:43 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...29171878_n.jpg

The Target store on Stavanger Drive is quickly shaping up. I think it's going to look pretty similar to this photo in Windsor Ontario. Photo is from ctv news website.

http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/windsor-bu...-day-1.1182745

SignalHillHiker May 23, 2013 1:35 PM

http://ow.ly/ljVjy

Golf Town opens today.

john98642 Jun 1, 2013 5:20 PM

I new shop is opening up in DT called WeAreJunk. It is FINALLY the first place in St. John's to actually offer urban designer men's fashion! St. John's is being brought to the 21st century! Here is the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weare...92063977515561

I am excited to finally have somewhere to shop in St. John's that offers high quality men's fashion.

SignalHillHiker Jun 1, 2013 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john98642 (Post 6149513)
I new shop is opening up in DT called WeAreJunk. It is FINALLY the first place in St. John's to actually offer urban designer men's fashion! St. John's is being brought to the 21st century! Here is the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weare...92063977515561

I am excited to finally have somewhere to shop in St. John's that offers high quality men's fashion.

JUNK should be an excellent addition to the city. :)

But you're wrong if think they're the first of their kind. Designer men's clothes are nothing new for St. John's. Most of the men's clothing stores downtown have a selection.

As for which century it is... I couldn't care less. :) Whatever we call it, it's a great one to live here in.

john98642 Jun 1, 2013 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6149527)
JUNK should be an excellent addition to the city. :)

But you're wrong if think they're the first of their kind. Designer men's clothes are nothing new for St. John's. Most of the men's clothing stores downtown have a selection.

As for which century it is... I couldn't care less. :) Whatever we call it, it's a great one to live here in.

What is the current selection as in urban apparel? Currently there is no where in Newfoundland that carries high end urban designers. I believe wearejunk is going to do well. Lots of oil money to be spent there!

SignalHillHiker Jun 1, 2013 5:54 PM

Depends on what you mean by urban... inner-city African American designers? I'm sure you can get clothing from a few of those here.

If you simply mean it as some... "big city trendy" label... then basically all designer men's fashion here would fit the bill.

john98642 Jun 1, 2013 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6149534)
Depends on what you mean by urban... inner-city African American designers? I'm sure you can get clothing from a few of those here.

If you simply mean it as some... "big city trendy" label... then basically all designer men's fashion here would fit the bill.

I mean Diesel, G-Star, J Lindeberg, True Religion, APC, etc. It is costly clothing but the money is here to suppoert it. Jeans can run $300+. A store that you may recognize is Duggers located in Halifax, they are simililar to Byron's for their upstairs, and downstairs they offer a larger selection of clothing that Junk is going to offer.

ed0797 Jun 1, 2013 8:58 PM

The store seems cool and all, but I wish there wasn't so many boutiques downtown. I know it's important to have some independent and non-industrialized clothing stores seeing it is downtown and all, but I really wish there was more inexpensive stores like H&M or Forever 21. The only places we really have this kind of selection is Bluenotes and Urban Planet (which might I add is trash) so virtually theres only one.

I know any city in Canada with a downtown like ours would have a store that catered to this market, why don't we have one? We've got plenty of vacant buildings that would be able to house a multiple storey one, or even that single level of shopping 351 was proposed to have!

In the meantime all I can do is wish for not having to dish out $60 for a t-shirt.

john98642 Jun 1, 2013 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed0797 (Post 6149694)
The store seems cool and all, but I wish there wasn't so many boutiques downtown. I know it's important to have some independent and non-industrialized clothing stores seeing it is downtown and all, but I really wish there was more inexpensive stores like H&M or Forever 21. The only places we really have this kind of selection is Bluenotes and Urban Planet (which might I add is trash) so virtually theres only one.

I know any city in Canada with a downtown like ours would have a store that catered to this market, why don't we have one? We've got plenty of vacant buildings that would be able to house a multiple storey one, or even that single level of shopping 351 was proposed to have!

In the meantime all I can do is wish for not having to dish out $60 for a t-shirt.

I agree, it would be nice to see H&M and Forever 21 here, however I believe they will not open a store unless there is a certain population to support it (they tend to be very large stores). With the way the economy is here though I think it would work easily.

And the expensive clothing is what some people prefer, it is nice to see the option available now.

mrjanejacobs Jun 1, 2013 9:15 PM

I agree with John - we need more men's clothing options. St.John's has a pitiful selection of men's clothing. This boutique is needed downtown because the higher-end brands it will offer would never otherwise be available. Young professionals who want to move here need to have appropriate shopping. It's absolutely necessary.

I agree with ed too - we need more affordable clothing also downtown. But to be clear, boutique does not necessarily mean expensive. And commercial-chain retail does not mean affordable. American Apparel is certainly not affordable. An H&M or a Forever 21 would be great for downtown - cheap clothing that actually resonates with young people. Young people don't shop downtown because there is nowhere appropriate to do so. With that said, there remains a lack of appropriate venues for this kind of commerce. I suspect there will be space for such tenants in MIX, Mirador, 351.

Marty_Mcfly Jun 1, 2013 9:18 PM

H&M operates stores in both Moncton and Fredericton, so population isn't a problem for a St. John's location.

I'm glad that there's high-priced clothing available in St. John's, but balance is needed. Old Navy is the best we have in that area.

mrjanejacobs Jun 1, 2013 9:22 PM

Old Navy is geared toward a younger demographic. Young professionals doubtfully would want to shop there. I am sure they wouldn't haha.

H&M has made 2 attempts at opening in St.John's, both times actually they failed because of a lack of appropriate commercial space.

Marty_Mcfly Jun 1, 2013 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs (Post 6149729)
Old Navy is geared toward a younger demographic. Young professionals doubtfully would want to shop there. I am sure they wouldn't haha.

H&M has made 2 attempts at opening in St.John's, both times actually they failed because of a lack of appropriate commercial space.

I bought cheap khaki's there once when I didn't have enough good slacks for my old office job. Other than that I find their commercials very off-putting.

The Avalon Mall messed up with housing Roots in their new expansion. Roots? Is it 1996 again?

Trevor3 Jun 2, 2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

The vast majority of major retail shopping in St. John's is suburban. The big players in attracting the big retailers are power centres (Stavangar) and the Avalon Mall. Both of these locations are aimed at the broader market from outside the city. Just look at their location, Stavanger is easily accessed from the ORR and the mall from Kenmount and Thorburn which connect directly to the TCH. Developers sell the notion that getting downtown is a hassle for someone who is coming into the city for a Saturday shopping day, and the major retailers buy it. It's true as well, there is little parking and if you don't know the area you will get lost... believe me, I know.

It would be nice to see some bigger name retailers downtown, but it just isn't practical. Even for a company like H&M, they will want to be near their competitors, none of which are downtown. If they wanted St. John's for the sake of St. John's they would be there already. You have to be within the vicinity of the competition if they are already in the market. Downtown St. John's is not an attractive location because there are existing competitors in other, more widely accessible parts of the city.

And the obvious, downtown St. John's is not the city centre. It's off to the side in several respects, at the bottom of steep hills, and many would rather avoid the area altogether during the winter.

john98642 Jun 2, 2013 9:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs (Post 6149717)
I agree with John - we need more men's clothing options. St.John's has a pitiful selection of men's clothing. This boutique is needed downtown because the higher-end brands it will offer would never otherwise be available. Young professionals who want to move here need to have appropriate shopping. It's absolutely necessary.

I agree with ed too - we need more affordable clothing also downtown. But to be clear, boutique does not necessarily mean expensive. And commercial-chain retail does not mean affordable. American Apparel is certainly not affordable. An H&M or a Forever 21 would be great for downtown - cheap clothing that actually resonates with young people. Young people don't shop downtown because there is nowhere appropriate to do so. With that said, there remains a lack of appropriate venues for this kind of commerce. I suspect there will be space for such tenants in MIX, Mirador, 351.

Yes I agree, the DT has potential to be very nice in regards to clothing shopping, with these new buildings there will be modern space available to retailers as well. I hope to see it go in this direction.

jeddy1989 Jun 2, 2013 2:51 PM

Voctoria Secret WILL be opening in the Avalon mall and in order to do so they are taking two stores out lol. American Apparel will be closing for a while (relocating eventually but not right away) and the store next to it.

Arrakis Jun 2, 2013 7:42 PM

If H&M or Fovever 21 ever do decide to open in St. John's, they certainly are not gonna choose downtown for a location. More likely at the mall or big box shopping parks. Downtown is a niche kind of place for shopping and big brand retail needs a lot more people coming in and out of their doors than what downtown can provide.

Quote:

Marty_Mcfly Jun 2, 2013 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 6150193)
Voctoria Secret WILL be opening in the Avalon mall and in order to do so they are taking two stores out lol. American Apparel will be closing for a while (relocating eventually but not right away) and the store next to it.

Interesting. American Apparel is a brand new reno, surprised they'd agree to close and relocate. I think the store next door is already vacant? (was Please Mum?)